THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

This battery fire was caused by a damaged pack after a crash. The BMS also not connected at the time prevented knowing the condition of the damaged pack before charging. The wheel was plugged in to charge. Several minutes later the charger started to ramp up then smoke from the wheel. Fear of it catching fire at the tent were it was charging at it was carried over to our campsite near the river where there were tools to remove the smoldering pack. Time ran out and thermal runaway began. There was no choice but to submerge the wheel in the water. Roger was still intent on removing the burning pack to avoid submerging the wheel in water but the risk of serious burns was high.

LESSON LEARNED: ALWAY BE SURE YOUR BMS IS CONNECTED AND ALWAYS CHECK YOUR BATTERY PACK STATUS AFTER A CRASH.

Edited by 5Cauac
  • Sad 4

So I have the Shinko 525 knobby on my S20 (S22+ via mods).  Its the most aggressive knobby I've ever seen on EUCs.  Its difficult to get used to it since the tire is so tall (fender removal to fit).  Anyway, THIS is why I like this tire!  I had the stock tire on this wheel and also have a T4 - and no way would I have been this comfortable with this speed on a lesser knobby.  The grass was wet, there were soft muddy spots, and we saw 4 deer the dogs wanted to chase.  

Also, happy birthday to Loki!  9 YO

• Upvote 1

Camera testing the Osmo Action 3 in 4:3 dewarp mode (more because I forgot to set it back to widescreen after a time lapse earlier !) and seeing how it does in the failing light in fully Auto mode (like all action cams, not great, but passable).

I'm trying a 'narrated run' from the top of the local country park to back home, about an hour after the hairy little 'twat the car' moment I had with that earlier in the ride, hence some reference to it. Also seeing if I can get away without having an external mic, so camera is chest mounted with its mics quite close to my helmet.

We also revisit the earlier crash site, and 'walk it through', attempting to better understand what went wrong where so we can more effectively avoid a repeat of that ! 

Sorry about the language in places - I was quite sweary that day !

On 6/25/2023 at 3:03 PM, Cerbera said:

Camera testing the Osmo Action 3 in 4:3 dewarp mode (more because I forgot to set it back to widescreen after a time lapse earlier !) and seeing how it does in the failing light in fully Auto mode (like all action cams, not great, but passable).

I'm trying a 'narrated run' from the top of the local country park to back home, about an hour after the hairy little 'twat the car' moment I had with that earlier in the ride, hence some reference to it. Also seeing if I can get away without having an external mic, so camera is chest mounted with its mics quite close to my helmet.

We also revisit the earlier crash site, and 'walk it through', attempting to better understand what went wrong where so we can more effectively avoid a repeat of that ! 

Sorry about the language in places - I was quite sweary that day !

And that's why i don't ride with cars. Luckily i don't have those kind of "ally ways", where ATTACK cars can pop out and getcha!!!! :D Slow down you speed demon! :D 

Edited by Funky

48 minutes ago, Funky said:

Slow down you speed demon!

Do you really think I am unduly fast in that ride ? I tend to perceive myself as rather a slow and careful rider most of the time, and even the empty bits where I speed up a little I never crest more than 45 kph on the whole, which, looking at the stats in EUC World makes me almost pathetically slow compared to other Master riders around the world - a lot of those would consider my topmost speeds roughly equivalent to their slowest or average ones...

But I did go back and check to see if there was a creeping speed trend since I started riding the Master, and to my surprise found there had been a bit of that going on, which happened very gradually over about 6 months. So perhaps you are right, and maybe I should reign it back a bit. My rides certainly don't feel fast to me, but of course, as other riders attest and warn, there is that tendency to incrementally increase the speeds as you become more intimately familiar with the machine and better at controlling it. Anyway, thanks for the feedback...

• Like 1

@Cerbera I guess riding speeds are relative. It doesn’t feel to me like you’re going excessively fast anywhere in your vid. I do think you’re correct in having a more powerful wheel and becoming more comfortable in them, does lead to an increase in average riding speeds. I has in my experience as well. You live in a beautiful area for riding! The paths and even the roads look nice. I ride some paths like those, but your lovely roads look much better than the pothole ridden urban hellscapes here……..

I know I mentioned in the past the electronic horns and the confusion that they can create with unfamiliar sounds. One of the ones I have makes exactly that same “bird chirping” that your does and with a large amount of people couldn’t place the sound and would just look all over the surrounding woods. I commend you for the warning noises while going around corners, but I’d consider a more distinct sounding device. I found an electric whistle made for referees that sounds like a police ball whistle. You can do short presses and get a short noise or hold the button down for a long blast. It gets people’s attention because of the familiar sound and position of authority. It also has three different sounds. It’s great for traffic too. Maybe those sounds work for you, I just found a lot of people here more confused than anything. 😞

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

One of the ones I have makes exactly that same “bird chirping” that your does and with a large amount of people couldn’t place the sound and would just look all over the surrounding woods. I commend you for the warning noises while going around corners, but I’d consider a more distinct sounding device.

Yes I am slowly coming around to that conclusion, and will probably move back to the cycle bell soon. There has been quite a lot of people looking around generally trying to see where the chirping is coming from, so it does appear to be a lot less directional than I hoped it would be, and I think nobody is really expecting that type of sound on a cycle path, which doesn't help either !

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Do you really think I am unduly fast in that ride ? I tend to perceive myself as rather a slow and careful rider most of the time, and even the empty bits where I speed up a little I never crest more than 45 kph on the whole, which, looking at the stats in EUC World makes me almost pathetically slow compared to other Master riders around the world - a lot of those would consider my topmost speeds roughly equivalent to their slowest or average ones...

But I did go back and check to see if there was a creeping speed trend since I started riding the Master, and to my surprise found there had been a bit of that going on, which happened very gradually over about 6 months. So perhaps you are right, and maybe I should reign it back a bit. My rides certainly don't feel fast to me, but of course, as other riders attest and warn, there is that tendency to incrementally increase the speeds as you become more intimately familiar with the machine and better at controlling it. Anyway, thanks for the feedback...

I was joking about speed demon.. :D I go about the same speeds as you 35, 38km/h. I literally can't go faster - because of my own set alarms.. So i keep it under 40km/h.

Doh i have hit 44km/h once and multiple times 42km/h. But same time i don't want to go faster than 40km/h.. 35km/h are perfect speed for me.

If i ever will look for a new wheel - i will look only for more safety margin. (Regularly hit around 25% margin on EUC world. Most lowest it was 13%) 55-60km/h wheels would be perfect point for me.

What's your lowest safety margin on regular ride? 40%? Or what's the lowest it has ever gotten? 

Edited by Funky
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Funky said:

What's your lowest safety margin on regular ride? 40%? Or what's the lowest it has ever gotten? 

The lowest safety margin I have ever seen on my rides is 42%. More typically it rarely drops below 50.

(updated, found one where it went slightly lower)

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Funky said:

And that's why i don't ride with cars. Luckily i don't have those kind of "ally ways", where ATTACK cars can pop out and getcha!!!! :D Slow down you speed demon! :D 

excuse me sir's, but where is the high speed part in that video? :P

• Haha 2

Those free-skates look fun as long as you have near-perfect surfaces to ride on. And therein must lie the single biggest advantage EUCs have over them. The guy in the video does seem to have expert levels of control going on - he really is very good at that, but if he visually misses a single pothole or ridge he's goin' down !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1