THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

Yeah, it's good stuff the 5.5, with a few caveats / weakness we have to watch for in order to get the best out of it.

1. Slippage.

A few complaints over the years about various parts of the armour slipping or rotating away from the joints in a crash, mainly the elbow bits. I have very thin arms so the lower straps there are waaay too loose on me even at their tightest setting. I've had to add further velcro / additional straps to get them tighter.

2. Missing hip / tailbone protection.

The excellent back protection of the 5.5 does not include any tailbone or hip protection so I have felt the need to add that separately. Fortunately this is easily done, especially hip pads, which you can hold it in place with the helpfully low reaching stretchy material and the kidney belt, which keeps them mostly in the right place. Tailbone pads can go down the back of your trousers without additional fixing if they are tight enough to hold them.

3. Rib protectors

Marty B had a recent crash in which he fell on his side, and had quite a lot of rib pain despite the 5.5, prompting me to add some extra foam padding on the inside of mine.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yeah, it's good stuff the 5.5, with a few caveats / weakness we have to watch for in order to get the best out of it.

1. Slippage.

A few complaints over the years about various parts of the armour slipping or rotating away from the joints in a crash, mainly the elbow bits. I have very thin arms so the lower straps there are waaay too loose on me even at their tightest setting. I've had to add further velcro / additional straps to get them tighter.

2. Missing hip / tailbone protection.

The excellent back protection of the 5.5 does not include any tailbone or hip protection so I have felt the need to add that separately. Fortunately this is easily done, especially hip pads, which you can hold it in place with the helpfully low reaching stretchy material and the kidney belt, which keeps them mostly in the right place. Tailbone pads can go down the back of your trousers without additional fixing if they are tight enough to hold them.

3. Rib protectors

Marty B had a recent crash in which he fell on his side, and had quite a lot of rib pain despite the 5.5, prompting me to add some extra foam padding on the inside of mine.

I agree it seems like great stuff, also absolutely can see how the slip occurs.

The rib protectors for me a a tad loose even at full tight. I might see if i can adjust it further.

Lower arm velcro is for sure to loose for me. I think I will sew a little velcro on the strap to allow a tighter fit. 

I do think for me the size is too large.

75% off! RRP

I saw the deal and they only had stock on one size. I jumped on it. 

Not fits me well enough but I wouldn’t say it’s locked in tight. 

Well made stuff though the LEATT i think, after the crash with the airfit lite and that doing so well i’m a fan. 

Edited by Forwardnbak
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Forwardnbak said:

The rib protectors for me a a tad loose even at full tight. I might see if i can adjust it further.

Yes, we can certainly do something about that bit, as helpfully demonstrated by Dawn below...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

Once again I am reminded that NYC seems the place to be if you want to ride like a proper lunatic...

Really big skills combined with a certain amount of reckless abandon, and it certainly makes for exciting, if slightly bum-clenching video !

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Forwardnbak said:

Strange you  had this issue, I have ridden in heavy rain a few times now with no problem. I haven't put anything over the screen either. Also i think it's important to mention that Rachel from inmotion service is a chat bot and doesn't always have the correct info. I've been told to ignore her a few times by Jason.

1 hour ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Strange you  had this issue, I have ridden in heavy rain a few times now with no problem. I haven't put anything over the screen either. Also i think it's important to mention that Rachel from inmotion service is a chat bot and doesn't always have the correct info. I've been told to ignore her a few times by Jason.

Interesting, I also thought it was my tape over the screen causing the issue. That’s why i reached out to service, when they mentioned they had the same problem I asked their advice.

Someone also mentioned in the comments that they had this issue on a v12?

It wasn’t rachel I was chatting with one of the service team on messenger. 

The mentioned they were considering a waterproof membrane like on iphone for future models. Then I asked if all V13 users could have this, they said they would send them out.

I still think my tape maybe contributed?

I will keep testing. I won’t really ride in those conditions if i can help it. This was just to test the wheel. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Forwardnbak said:

Someone also mentioned in the comments that they had this issue on a v12?

Yeah , i saw that. After thinking about it last night. I guess i really haven't played with the display during my time out in the rain. Maybe it's a problem after touching it. I will have to do some more testing myself. Thanks for your response, i guess the average customers only get the bot...:(

On 7/5/2023 at 5:50 AM, Cerbera said:

Once again I am reminded that NYC seems the place to be if you want to ride like a proper lunatic...

And they wonder why they are banned there. Running into people on crosswalks doesn't help our cause. racing in the city doesn't show skill, it shows stupidity. If you want to show skill, try keeping up with Chooch on a trail.

21 hours ago, Forwardnbak said:

Yeah, that can get ya if you ride in rain with EUCW running on your phone if it's mounted on your arm (or otherwise externally) as well. 

A few times my light gets mysteriously activated, and slightly more worrying I sometimes hear 4 loud beeps from the wheel, which I think are something to do with EUCW (perhaps when it connects or disconnects?) but it's most disconcerting to hear those while you are in motion, prompting me to stop shortly thereafter and check all seems normal.

I'm sure I read somewhere about a setting in Android, or may for Samsung phones in particular, or in EUCW, about how you can make the phone less sensitive to rain input, but damned if I have been able to find that setting since !

• Like 1

Just wanted to share Ride One's newest Patton Street Review video! I'm new to the forums so I hope this isn't considered double posting since I posted this as its own thread as well!

50 minutes ago, Jalious said:

Just wanted to share Ride One's newest Patton Street Review video! I'm new to the forums so I hope this isn't considered double posting since I posted this as its own thread as well!

All good. Having a video in here and also having its own topic can be helpful (e.g. when people search for specific things) and poses no spam-like problem. Also, it's always good when people make EUC videos, and are naturally proud to share them👍

26 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

All good. Having a video in here and also having its own topic can be helpful (e.g. when people search for specific things) and poses no spam-like problem. Also, it's always good when people make EUC videos, and are naturally proud to share them👍

Awesome! Thank you for your patience man! :thumbup:

On 7/5/2023 at 11:50 AM, Cerbera said:

Really big skills combined with a certain amount of reckless abandon, and it certainly makes for exciting, if slightly bum-clenching video !

Yo!!   why do all these cars have their brake lights on?   - i have no idea, I'm totally focused on following the f**l in front... dang!

Good job ;-)

Annotation 2023-07-08 015129.jpg

Join me for a narrated ride up the biggest hill around and listen to me whinge about the bloody wind for half an hour ! :)

Saw this (courtesy of Viz magazine), which made me laugh, on the same subject earlier...

image.png.cfcc06a4752aa0ce17c5c0c51c41ffcd.png

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 2