THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

26 minutes ago, EUC GUY said:

Something ive been working on. One of many things xD

Great idea, keep up the ingenuity! 

Norwegian inventions

The cheese slicer

Though it's a humble invention, the cheese slicer has certainly improved many a dinner party. It was invented and patented by the carpenter Thor Bjorklund of Lillehammer in 1925. Bjorklund was annoyed by how difficult cheese was to cut properly with a knife, so he created something a lot like a carpenter's plane to cut it more pleasantly. The tool cuts hard cheeses very well, in addition to potatoes and other vegetables. It's difficult or impossible to get a cheese slicer outside of Norway, so if you find one on your cruise, make sure to snatch it up and bring it back.

Aerosol spray cans

The Aerosol spray can, though no longer in use due to environmental concerns, was a Norwegian original. Chemical engineer Erik Rotheim received a patent for it in 1926 in Oslo, selling it to an American company a bit later. Because Aerosol cans are propelled by chlorofluorocarbon, which is known as CFC and is harmful to the ozone layer, this invention is out-of-date. It's still a big one, though - imagine the hairstyles of the middle of last century without the power of Aerosol cans full of hairspray.

Paper clip

It's a matter of some debate whether Norway or the U.S. originated the paper clip, but don't bring that up in Norway. In the 1890s, Norwegian patent clerk Johann Vaaler invented the paper clip, which, in this case, was a wire with triangular or square ends and two component arms. He patented this invention in Germany and then in the U.S. William Middlebrook, a Connecticut resident, patented the paper clip in the modern shape in 1899, leading to the contention about which country really invented the ever-present office supply.

Mineral fertilizer

Kristian Birkeland of the University of Oslo was working in 1903 on an electromagnetic cannon. Unfortunately, it failed spectacularly - but it did create a gigantic electric arc. Later, in conversation with an industrialist looking to create an artificial fertilizer that would not require saltpeter, Birkeland realized fixing nitrogen out of the air using a huge electric arc could be the solution. The rest is history - Sam Eyde, the industrialist in question, and Birkeland created a company that made the first artificial fertilizer, improving the lives of millions around the world.

Edited by Scouts Honor
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

My first video using a gimbal.

The focus looks better using it.

It's kind of heavy for selfie stick use so I mounted it on my helmet. 

nice smooth footage. you could also touch it up with some digital stabilization to make it ultra smooth :) 

5 hours ago, EUC GUY said:

Something ive been working on. One of many things xD

Simple and effective! I've always thought about how a shell could be designed to offer better ergonomics (a lot of which is grip), but just having shaped glue-on side pads is a simpler idea that also works! Best of all this is an easy, gradual change, I hope the manufacturers all steal the idea quickly:efee8319ab:

• Like 1

Great videos from east and west coast... can't wait for more reviews on these 18" wheels.  They all look so good, will be a one tough choice (might have to get two).  AWSOME... :w00t2:

Edited by Mark Lee
  • Like 2

Damn, I might be getting tempted by the 18L.  I really like the way it seems to cram an 18" wheel into a city-friendly form factor.  I am starting to hate when EUC companies release fake specs ahead of launch, though.  The Z series was initially advertised as being 84V and the KS18L was initially listed as being 36lbs. or thereabouts.  

I've been trying not to be tempted by these new releases because I've already blown my EUC budget.  This would be a good time to be just getting into the hobby, in that a wheel like the 18L could easily be someone's only wheel.  

Edited by mezzanine
  • Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, wheelr said:

The 18L is a looker and it's not as big as I thought (that slimming black might have me fooled tho). So I'm with you, Mezzanine, very tempted by these next gen wheels. So far I'm looking at the 9bot Z10, the MCM5 and the 18L, talk about busting one's budget ?

I'm tempted by the 18L for it's form factor and KS reputation, the Msuper X for it's wide tire and battery, and the Z10 for the wide tire. 

I go back and forth on which one tempts me most.  If Gotway had made the Msuper X 100V like the new Monster, I'd probably lean that direction, but I'm not wild about the wider body design.  I really like that they're using a 3" tire and that they seem to have improved the electronics. 

The Z10 was the one I was most excited about pre-release, but I probably have the most uncertainty still about how it will compare to the others once more people get their hands on one.  I don't like that it's heavier than I was expecting.  

The integrated handle/trolley on the 18L is a nice feature.  I don't need a huge battery.  It kind of reminds me of an 18" Tesla or V10F, which is close to what I would want in my ideal if I were limited to having only one.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wheelr said:

The 18L is a looker and it's not as big as I thought (that slimming black might have me fooled tho). So I'm with you, Mezzanine, very tempted by these next gen wheels. So far I'm looking at the 9bot Z10, the MCM5 and the 18L, talk about busting one's budget ?

Don’t bother with the MCM5 it is 14” and not in the same league as the Z10 or 18L. The Z10 with it motorcycle wheel is very weird.  It rides like a motorcycle.  Seems to have some of the turning characteristics too.  Slow speed turns different than high speed turns.  I constantly felt that it might throw me high side like on a motorcycle.  Very weird feeling.  But I think need tint to adjust to.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Don’t bother with the MCM5 it is 14” and not in the same league as the Z10 or 18L. The Z10 with it motorcycle wheel is very weird.  It rides like a motorcycle.  Seems to have some of the turning characteristics too.  Slow speed turns different than high speed turns.  I constantly felt that it might throw me high side like on a motorcycle.  Very weird feeling.  But I think need tint to adjust to.  

You already got a Z10?

1 hour ago, mezzanine said:

I'm tempted by the 18L for it's form factor and KS reputation, the Msuper X for it's wide tire and battery, and the Z10 for the wide tire. 

I go back and forth on which one tempts me most.  If Gotway had made the Msuper X 100V like the new Monster, I'd probably lean that direction, but I'm not wild about the wider body design.  I really like that they're using a 3" tire and that they seem to have improved the electronics. 

The Z10 was the one I was most excited about pre-release, but I probably have the most uncertainty still about how it will compare to the others once more people get their hands on one.  I don't like that it's heavier than I was expecting.  

The integrated handle/trolley on the 18L is a nice feature.  I don't need a huge battery.  It kind of reminds me of an 18" Tesla or V10F, which is close to what I would want in my ideal if I were limited to having only one.  

The 18L is great!  I loved it!  It is like the 18S, but more power and more agile and with integrated handle.  The 18L will be my go to wheel for short rides and the 18S will be for longer rides.  Until they update their 18S.  Lol

• Like 3

So how was it compared to V10f?

Now I understand there will be an adjustment to ride style from whatever you are used tobsumilar to testing a different car.

2 hours ago, Tishawn Fahie said:

Greetings all - I was also able to play around with the Ninebot One Z 10 - thanks to @houseofjobs! I dont believe in reviewing a wheel I dont own especially when you only have it for a couple of hours but here's my first impression video. Thanks!

quality first look

• Upvote 1