The Gotway Tesla 1020wh Model Open Box and Initial thoughts

57 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I think those are modified/padded Msuper V2s most likely.  You can tell by the reverse curves in the shell and flat side profiles.  The one wishes it will grow up to be a Gotway Monster someday.  :whistling:

Ew :smartass:, Isaberg is only a couple of kilometres up at a 6.6% grade.

http://www.climbbybike.com/climbmobile.asp?Col=Isaberg&qryMountainID=12703

Now that you say that, it does kind of look like a Monster with the shell cut down.:cheers:

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

@zlymex

Ok, i can draw my conclusions then :-)

But:

Than just let me ask why you can not say more....are you (or your friends) one of the beta testers for Gotway??

Than it would be ok to say nothing more....because if not: It looks like Gotway has something to hide!

It just the controversy over what burnt and why and someone are watching me, I'm not in the position to give any verdict. 

8 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Does no one ride a KingSong in the group?  :blink:  Or do they tend to overheat way too early to get up the mountainside? 

We don't ride KingSong any more as once there was a KS18A that easily get hot and burnt a year ago. 

7 hours ago, steve454 said:

Isn't that a Kingsong  18 something laying on it's side in the photo? 

The one near the camera is a modified MSuper2, like Hunka Hunka said. There is another Msuper2 on the far left.

1 hour ago, zlymex said:

It just the controversy over what burnt and why and someone are watching me, I'm not in the position to give any verdict. 

That's disturbing not to be able to speak freely and give an opinion :-( but i understand you!!!

1 hour ago, zlymex said:

We don't ride KingSong any more as once there was a KS18A that easily get hot and burnt a year ago. 

That's sad, as that 18A was a old first Batch 1200Watt model(saw the photos).....at least since the S series the Kingsongs are competitive again.

I always find it sad not to look into other brands in General, as this Gotway-Kingsong battle sometimes is like kindergarten

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

From the teardown video it doesn't look like they have a good way to vent the heat.  More beta testing...

They don't have a way to vent the heat AND/OR a way to pull fresh air from somewhere - fans are practically sitting on the plastic casing?? Either way those fans are unfortunately pretty useless. :( It would be much better if they opted to skip the fans and expose bottom part of the heat-sink to the space around the tire where natural airflow would cool it down nicely.

Just speculating, but I wonder if the higher voltage and current being used with the higher wattage rated motor could have burned out a capacitor or fried a cap lead/leg.  I think KingSong has moved to insulate the capacitor legs on some of its models for some reason.  I remember there were some issues before with them way back.  I saw some photos later of the leads being covered up.  I wonder what that was all about.  @KingSong69 do you know the specifics there?  Was it to help with vibration dampening by reinforcing the capacitor legs from repeated movement fatigue?

27 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Just speculating, but I wonder if the higher voltage and current being used with the higher wattage rated motor could have burned out a capacitor or fried a cap lead/leg.  I think KingSong has moved to insulate the capacitor legs on some of its models for some reason.  I remember there were some issues before with them way back.  I saw some photos later of the leads being covered up.  I wonder what that was all about.  @KingSong69 do you know the specifics there?  Was it to help with vibration dampening by reinforcing the capacitor legs from repeated movement fatigue?

Its other way around...on earlier board versions of ks16 the legs were long and insulated and had a tendency to burn on board v1.2.

On later board version legs got shorter and unisolated and also a bit of hardware change.

From what i read out of Zlymex report, there seams to be a short of a motor cable touching the capacitor legs or a board screw....

Bit thats my interpretation...It had to be said, they were with 3 wheels on that hill, only one got that fault...

My guess is that it isnt that dramatic....even Gotway learns from faults and takes a bit care to prevent from faults they done on earlier versions. Does it scare me as i ordered a Tesla? Nope, as i dont do crazy crazy hills, and from time to time maintenance my wheels. as i am a pussy and afraid of cutouts, wheelfails i do all to prevent that. First move will be opening the wheel, checking connections, seperating wires, see what can be done better, and do it. i will report :-)

25 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Anyone notice in that last video that the left side lights are stuck on the braking red illumination mode?  :blink:

Yeah, hard not to notice that. Not a good sign that it failed so early. The LED panel on my ACM gave up the ghost a couple of months ago, but it's over 6 months old.

1 minute ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I really like the fact that they were able to mute that high pitched coil whine.  You can really tell the difference when you crank up the sound and watch these two videos:

Same with the Mten3 (also 84 volt). Looks like the high pitched whine is a thing of the past.

Interestingly, my new KS14S (67 volt) has a high pitched whine that the KS14C did not have.

I wonder if someone forgot to spec coil resin to dampen the copper wire vibration in the new motor batch?  I've heard that if the small details are not specified in the contract, the supplier tends to cut those corners to save on costs.  You would think that having a good relationship with a supplier would carry on certain standards from the first order on, but I wonder if that was overlooked.  Someone needs to open up these motors to take some photos!  :w00t2:   Or it could be that they maybe wind the coils tighter for the higher powered ones to maximize the number of windings for the higher speed?  The silence could just be a side effect from the more concentrated copper coilings?  Then again that doesn't explain your KS14S...  Maybe the motors are from different suppliers.

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Same with the Mten3 (also 84 volt). Looks like the high pitched whine is a thing of the past.

Interestingly, my new KS14S (67 volt) has a high pitched whine that the KS14C did not have.

I love the whine. Makes it sound like a spaceship. Just personal choice. I feel like a starfighter when I whizz by:efee6b18f3::thumbup:

I'd rather have an option to turn it off or maybe add it if I wanted to.  I guess I'm too used to my fairly quiet Ninebot One E+.  I usually can sneak up behind people and suddenly roll by giving them a nice surprise.  B)

Too bad these Gotways don't have speakers.  And larger axles.  You listening out there Mr. Lin?  :lol:

It would seem I'm inline for a Tesla in a few weeks as well. I expect to lay hands on sometime in the second week of Nov. assuming customs doesn't interfere. 

Just too tempting... and I need a 16" wheel in the fold. (I can't believe I just said that. I guess I've progressed to the addiction phase. "need")

I'm told there are 9 left in the first week of Nov order, already on the boat, @ ewheels if anyone else is suffering from the same disease. 

5 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Too bad these Gotways don't have speakers.  And larger axles.  You listening out there Mr. Lin?  :lol:

... and rocket boosters :ph34r:

5 hours ago, stevedig said:

It would seem I'm inline for a Tesla in a few weeks as well. I expect to lay hands on sometime in the second week of Nov. assuming customs doesn't interfere. 

Just too tempting... and I need a 16" wheel in the fold. (I can't believe I just said that. I guess I've progressed to the addiction phase. "need")

I'm told there are 9 left in the first week of Nov order, already on the boat, @ ewheels if anyone else is suffering from the same disease. 

Wow, seems the Gotway Tesla is bordering on MSuperV3 / ACM / V8 adoption rates.

https://www.electricunicycles.eu/alarming_issues_with_gotway_unicycles_now_with_tesla-c__314

Seems like the production is suspended for now? Really strange, my Tesla is shipped according to the seller 9/10 but i still haven't gotten any tracking number so I really don't know.

18 minutes ago, zege said:

https://www.electricunicycles.eu/alarming_issues_with_gotway_unicycles_now_with_tesla-c__314

Seems like the production is suspended for now? Really strange, my Tesla is shipped according to the seller 9/10 but i still haven't gotten any tracking number so I really don't know.

Please dont take this Website  seriously!!! This is a KS and IM seller, which is only selling the competitor's brand!

By all means, i don't like the Problems Gotway has and had...but in my view this article is just bashing and only a Promotion for their own store!

To talk about this funny CCC Certificate, pfffhh.

What the Tesla belongs: There has been ONE single Tesla, i repeat: One :-) that had a failure when climbing a massive hill. While on the same ride 2 other wheels did the same hill.

NObody knows exactly what it was, short, wire burn, capacitor blow, who knows....

Other than that, i see only reports and video's that did not Report any Problems, with happy French testers driving around....

I also ordered a Tesla(not on "Green"), mine was shipped on 20th Oct. and i also received a tracking number. Yes, there have been very long delays this time, especially by "green travelling"...afaik These delays have been because of the whining of the France excl. Gotway seller who saw his sells going down! So Gotway decided to first fullfill the re-sellers orders and bring the Tesla into the Hand of the re-sellers first, before having ali-sellers a Hand on this.....French orders on ali even where cancelled! All others, probably yours also, where delayed!

Reputation of "green travelling" (in MY view) can not be called good anymore....

18 minutes ago, zege said:

It’s becoming so frustrating to buy an EUC now.... ??‍♂️

19 minutes ago, zege said:

This article is FUD and a plain lie.

This is a Kingsong seller that always shits on Gotway and blows the (definitely existing) problems out of proportions or invents new ones. Seems to be their hobby, or they are Kingsong's hit men with plausible deniability of direct KS involvement?

This article is basically, "There are some Tesla delivery delays" and the rest is pulled out of their ass. And then they pretend "self-switching off" Gotways are a common problem, when in reality this just did never ever happen, not once. There's a reason Gotway is so popular, and it's certainly not that their EUCs randomly switch off just for shits and giggles.

I'm the last one to not criticize Gotway if there's something to criticize, but this is bure BS and quite frankly, if Gotway were a bigger or Western company, they'd already have sued these people for defamation. And probably won. This crap is far beyond any theoretically acceptable misguided-but-honest-intentions article. Plain lies.

The only thing this article does is show this seller is not honest or trustworthy, and  would recommend not buying from such people.

28 minutes ago, Imarconi said:

It’s becoming so frustrating to buy an EUC now.... ??‍♂️

Please see my post above!!!

When i Keep reading the linked article i really get angry.....and that means something, as i can be called anything but certainly not  a GW fan ,-)

But what is stated in this article is for the most really, really big Nonsens, for example:

-Untested batteries, mounted in a way making them at risk of side effects of an impact,

??? Untested batteries? Risks because they are mounted on the side??? Like in all our unicycles?

And btw.: If "security" means sooo much to this shop...i really wonder why they sell the IPS Zero, which has one of the "best" cutout histories here on this Forum :-)

@Imarconi That seller also has lied about China import wheels having worse battery cells used than Western sold wheels. Of course this was never true, they use the exact same quality or even the exact same battery cells in both wheels. Same production run.

They'll say anything to make people buy from them, that's all. That article is pure BS.

Archived