The Gotway Tesla 1020wh Model Open Box and Initial thoughts

47 minutes ago, yourtoys7 said:

@Marty Backe when are you getting yours? I was under impression that you get them all, hmmm

Unfortunately there is no Tesla in my foreseeable future. I really don't want to have so many wheels that they each barely get used. I'd have to sell one of my existing wheels, but at this point I love every wheel that I own.

Maybe if I see a good compelling review I may consider it, but I'm still waiting for an in-depth overview of the wheel. Tishawn's was OK, but it wasn't convincing enough to consider trading my ACM for a Tesla.

And the limited battery size is also a turnoff.

So no Tesla for me :(

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Unfortunately there is no Tesla in my foreseeable future. I really don't want to have so many wheels that they each barely get used. I'd have to sell one of my existing wheels, but at this point I love every wheel that I own.

Maybe if I see a good compelling review I may consider it, but I'm still waiting for an in-depth overview of the wheel. Tishawn's was OK, but it wasn't convincing enough to consider trading my ACM for a Tesla.

And the limited battery size is also a turnoff.

So no Tesla for me :(

I see what you mean, I'd love to get something better the msuper v3s+ but dont see anything come close to it, well... maybr monster 100v, but as Ive said before, I will not spend another dollar till upgrade of msuper or monster (maybe 100v), time will tell.

Im coming up to 1000mile (1600km) review that I will do, Im so impressed w. Msuper v3s+, it'll be hard to get something else (im one wheel at a time type of guy).

12 hours ago, Meng Yang said:

Assuming you've ridden a V8, do highlight differences between Tesla and V8. Otherwise, just ignore my request. Thanks! :D

15 minute video, 5716mb, this is going to take awhile you publish on youtube...

4k60p or bust!

2 minutes ago, Meng Yang said:

If I were you, I would go for the 100V Monster.  :smartass:

Yeah, that one is alluring. But I'm also very tempted by the Z10. The Tesla however seems like a good development from Gotway, even if it's somewhat in the same bracket as my GT16. I doubt I'll buy the Tesla, if for no other reason that it is too much alike what I have. But it looks good.

Yeah. If I have a GT16, another Tesla wouldn't add much value. Monster is crazy expensive. Otherwise, it'd be a real interesting option. At 120 lbs, I feel the V8 doesn't give me enough power. Hope Tesla has more potential than I dare tap on. If I were 200 lbs, I'd go for something in the range of 3000W motor or 100V. With the huge wheel and "only" 1800W, I think Z10 will be a great cruiser, but not a good accelerator like the GT16. Well, it all depends on one's needs.

2 hours ago, Meng Yang said:

Yeah. If I have a GT16, another Tesla wouldn't add much value. Monster is crazy expensive. Otherwise, it'd be a real interesting option. At 120 lbs, I feel the V8 doesn't give me enough power. Hope Tesla has more potential than I dare tap on. If I were 200 lbs, I'd go for something in the range of 3000W motor or 100V. With the huge wheel and "only" 1800W, I think Z10 will be a great cruiser, but not a good accelerator like the GT16. Well, it all depends on one's needs.

If it has great acceleration depends not only on nominal watts, but also on the torque/rpm equation. If it is wired for higher torque, the difference in wheel diameter and nominal power won't make much difference in acceleration and braking, but if it's wired for max RPM, it will be much worse. A big part of it is also how good the battery pack will turn out to be, how much power you can actually use depends a lot on the available safe power from the pack. In that respect I can feel that is a weak point in the GT16. While it can push ~40A, that still limits the max power to around 3kW with ~80% charge - so while nominal power is the highest around, the max isn't. I've even considered ordering the 1036Wh pack to get a little more headroom in that department, since I've started keeping it at less than full charge most of the time. Some more capacity can keep it in the 60-90% range for longer, meaning I can use the full power for longer.

Also it will be very interesting to see how good the cooling is in Z10, is it on the level of the GT16, that runs cool under almost any condition, or is it like some of the Gotways that seem to overheat at the drop of a hat?

So what I want is an 18+ incher with good torque, good nominal and max power, good batteries, good cooling, a fat tyre, good capacity, good maneuverability and a brilliant algorithm... Can I have that please! :)

44 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

So what I want is an 18+ incher with good torque, good nominal and max power, good batteries, good cooling, a fat tyre, good capacity, good maneuverability and a brilliant algorithm... Can I have that please! :)

How about this new 18L (info from Thomas Hoon)?

KS-18L specs (Chinese).jpg

28 minutes ago, Meng Yang said:

How about this new 18L (info from Thomas Hoon)?

KS-18L specs (Chinese).jpg

Oh, it looks nice. 

I have two downers with this one:

1. Kingsong seems hell bent on pissing us off, with the latest "no AliExpress" shenanigans.
  2. They consistently avoid really fat tyres. 

But that said, it has much of the charm of the 16" with an 18" wheel.

@Brian Morris Thank you for the detailed impressions and your effort making this! Nice idea with the picture-in-picture.

The pedal dipping in curves is a common Gotway "feature" (=bug). It's highly annyoing, and as you said, can ruin your learning/trust in the wheel in curves.

You can get rid of it! Simply recalibrate the wheel - a bit complicated but doable, see the Speedyfeet Youtube video about this. The trick seems to be to hold the wheel NOT [significantly] tilted sideways (forwards/backwards you can calibrate the pedal angle as you want, but don't tilt the wheel sideways sideways) while doing the calibrating.

(It may work a bit differently than in the video, but the principle shown there is right. This is why I always recommend doing a crazy calibration first, like pedals at 45° angles, to confirm the method works.)

Did we have confirmation before now that the new KS18L is 84 volts?  I thought for some reason that they had maintained they were staying with the 67v standard. 

And the weight...for those of us that care about weight, to read that it's only 18kg is awesome news.  I have to find a way to get that wheel. 

28 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

Did we have confirmation before now that the new KS18L is 84 volts?  I thought for some reason that they had maintained they were staying with the 67v standard. 

And the weight...for those of us that care about weight, to read that it's only 18kg is awesome news.  I have to find a way to get that wheel. 

For the weight, remember the ks16s was marketed at 15.5kg, while buyers weighted it at 17.3kg... so let’s wait and see. I suspect kingsong uses helium to inflate its tyres...

20 hours ago, mezzanine said:

As far as i understand it is still a bit away from mass production, seams some parts are missing.....but yes, the 84Volts are confirmed.

1 minute ago, Kael said:

The Tesla seems nice, but that review convinced me to hold fire. Gotway needs to learn and integrate some of InMotion's obvious convenience features before I pick up one of their wheels.

???

What do you mean? the handle button? I guess thats all and i dont see any more convenience features...

7 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

???

What do you mean? the handle button? I guess thats all and i dont see any more convenience features...

The button and the telescoping trolley handle that locks into an extended position. I mean, I guess I could just end up keeping two wheels - one for around town riding and the other for speed stuff, but it's not that much to ask for.

2 minutes ago, Kael said:

The button and the telescoping trolley handle that locks into an extended position. I mean, I guess I could just end up keeping two wheels - one for around town riding and the other for speed stuff, but it's not that much to ask for.

While the button is really a very, very nice solution, this and the not lockable trolley would not stop ME from buying the Tesla.

The more money is all worth by the bigger battery and the nearly double speed :-)

While i really seldom go much over 30kmh-35kmh...it would really bother me to run into the tiltback all the time on the V8.

But thats all personal preferences...i just wanted to know if i missed something :-)

24 minutes ago, Kael said:

The cutoff button is nice, but I don't need it that often with the riding that I do, and need is an exaggeration. A non-locking trolley handle is such a small complaint that it's barely worth mentioning

Archived