The Gotway Tesla 1020wh Model Open Box and Initial thoughts

51 minutes ago, Meng Yang said:

A brief Google translate of the GT16 guy comparing it to Tesla:

"Something about Tesla looking huge, like an 18 incher, but strangely feels lighter than GT16. Front headlight, while rather weak in Lumen power, is bright enough and better than GT16. Narrow beam though. Integrated trolley looks weak and thin but seems to hold up upon use. Seems ok but not sure how long it will last. Lift test cutoff for both about the same (60-68 kph?). Initial ride – feel pain at shin, especially with single-leg riding. But after a while, pain goes away. Agility is moderate. High speed runs feel more stable than GT16. GT16 feels safe up to 40 kph. Tesla feels safe even beyond 45 kph."

And you can read the fan's discussion,In fact, for the design of Tesla ,it just like ACm plus.Hight quality material (crashworthiness of car body,waterproof)and safe system.What's more its power and battery is up to off-roard EUC.For someone who like to off-roard riding for a long distance is enough .But its speed up and braking is not so good .When you speeding up quickly and slow down that  fees is not good.And one point for some players find the cooling syatem is a shorcoming even with air fan but with any air outlet.So somebod should brought some fender on two side and watch out the temperature of mainboard .

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Barry Chen said:

And you can read the fan's discussion,In fact, for the design of Tesla ,it just like ACm plus.Hight quality material (crashworthiness of car body,waterproof)and safe system.What's more its power and battery is up to off-roard EUC.For someone who like to off-roard riding for a long distance is enough .But its speed up and braking is not so good .When you speeding up quickly and slow down that  fees is not good.And one point for some players find the cooling syatem is a shorcoming even with air fan but with any air outlet.So somebod should brought some fender on two side and watch out the temperature of mainboard .

So, if I get it right:

A bit less agility, but more stability at speed than GT16. Good material in shell and good water-proofing. A bit less acceleration and braking power than GT16, and runs a bit hotter.

Is that about it?

If so, two of those are pluses. The stability and water-proofing would be very nice. But with a 1900W motor I expected acceleration and braking to be exceptional.

1 hour ago, Scatcat said:

So, if I get it right:

A bit less agility, but more stability at speed than GT16. Good material in shell and good water-proofing. A bit less acceleration and braking power than GT16, and runs a bit hotter.

Is that about it?

If so, two of those are pluses. The stability and water-proofing would be very nice. But with a 1900W motor I expected acceleration and braking to be exceptional.

Yes,you are right .Tesla is stable even speed  up to 40KM/h for its speed can up to 53KM/h,but GT16 V2 can also up to that speep maybe not stable.Gt16 acceleration and braking power  is more easy to control.I think cooling system is a problem,you need to reslove it.If not it will destory the battery and mainbord,everyone can't aviod it .

3 hours ago, Barry Chen said:

Yes,you are right .Tesla is stable even speed  up to 40KM/h for its speed can up to 53KM/h,but GT16 V2 can also up to that speep maybe not stable.Gt16 acceleration and braking power  is more easy to control.I think cooling system is a problem,you need to reslove it.If not it will destory the battery and mainbord,everyone can't aviod it .

Yeah. I think a modified version of the GT16 cooling is something more manufacturers should look into. 

When I said modified, what I mean is there should be no air-channel to anywhere where there's electronics. Even small amounts of water in the wrong place can be catastrophical.

When I see the board assembly of the Tesla, they seem to have gone with a bigger sink, and they even have fans. What they don't have is a way for cool air to get to the sink. Fans are all well and good, but if they just pump around the hot air inside they don't do as much difference as they could. So if the sink had side ridges/fins that were taller and connected to air ducts, or for that matter just came down into the wheel housing, they would act like heat-pipes and lead the heat away from the board. It wouldn't be as effective at really low speeds of course, but even at moderate speeds it would cool down the board immensely.

So what I'm basically saying is they should go even bigger on the heat-sink front, and make sure the heat has somewhere to go.

29 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

Yeah. I think a modified version of the GT16 cooling is something more manufacturers should look into. 

When I said modified, what I mean is there should be no air-channel to anywhere where there's electronics. Even small amounts of water in the wrong place can be catastrophical.

When I see the board assembly of the Tesla, they seem to have gone with a bigger sink, and they even have fans. What they don't have is a way for cool air to get to the sink. Fans are all well and good, but if they just pump around the hot air inside they don't do as much difference as they could. So if the sink had side ridges/fins that were taller and connected to air ducts, or for that matter just came down into the wheel housing, they would act like heat-pipes and lead the heat away from the board. It wouldn't be as effective at really low speeds of course, but even at moderate speeds it would cool down the board immensely.

So what I'm basically saying is they should go even bigger on the heat-sink front, and make sure the heat has somewhere to go.

Actually, it would be super-simple to adapt standard computer heat-pipe tech to EUC use... The technology is mature and while not exactly cheap, it's not something that will break the bank.

Basically find the hot-spots on the board, create connections/mini-sinks for the heat-pipe(s) there, on the MOSFETs and on the main heat-sink. Then lead the heat out into the open air. The last could be accomplished with secondary heat-sinks that are in an air-duct of some form. That would isolate the electronics from the outside, while still leading the heat out to where it can actually evaporate.

The heat-pipes will in all probability outperform minuscule fans by some few thousand percents.

The only down-side I can think of except cost, is that you'll have to make sure there are no shearing or breaking forces in a crash or when servicing the EUC. Heat-pipes contains liquid, in small amounts maybe, but still. And if there is a crack they lose most of their heat-wicking capabilities.

On the up-side they are fully passive, which means they will just work year after year, silently, efficiently, always moving the heat away from the board.

I gave the Tesla a ride yesterday. It certainly was a strange transition after riding my Mten 3.  The Tesla is very stable at speed, much more then my GT16, and slightly more then my ACM 84v. I felt like its a momentum machine, meaning it builds up speed at a consistent rate, and slows down the same... it look a bit of room to slow it down. I felt like the gt16 is a bit more agile then the Tesla. Some of this is getting to know the wheel, I'm sure if I had it for a day I might think differently....

I was very comfortable going fast on it, I really liked it, and it would be a fantastic machine for speed cruising or a straight line commute.  It gets my vote !

8 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

I gave the Tesla a ride yesterday. It certainly was a strange transition after riding my Mten 3.  The Tesla is very stable at speed, much more then my GT16, and slightly more then my ACM 84v. I felt like its a momentum machine, meaning it builds up speed at a consistent rate, and slows down the same... it look a bit of room to slow it down. I felt like the gt16 is a bit more agile then the Tesla. Some of this is getting to know the wheel, I'm sure if I had it for a day I might think differently....

I was very comfortable going fast on it, I really liked it, and it would be a fantastic machine for speed cruising or a straight line commute.  It gets my vote !

Sounds like it'll complement my V8 nicely. One, an agile, responsive, quick to get up to speed and stop, but is speed-limited and not so stable at top speed. The other, less responsive to inputs but decently agile, and powers up (& down) to speeds consistently and cruises at high speed in a stable manner.

24 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

I was very comfortable going fast on it, I really liked it, and it would be a fantastic machine for speed cruising or a straight line commute. 

By God, don't tell me that, I fear I might buy one if they become available here 2018. Sigh. :ph34r::)

As I said before, it worries me if it's slow to accelerate and stop, especially stop. I narrowly avoided becoming a hood ornament on a beamer by the breaking power of the GT16. I doubt the idiot even saw me as he went into the roundabout at 80kmh...

2 hours ago, Scatcat said:

As I said before, it worries me if it's slow to accelerate and stop, especially stop. I narrowly avoided becoming a hood ornament on a beamer by the breaking power of the GT16. I doubt the idiot even saw me as he went into the roundabout at 80kmh...

I'm confused why such a powerful wheel should be considered to be sluggish. It is lighter than other Gotway offerings and has a smaller wheel which is generally more nimble on. Could it be the smaller battery packs (less parallel packs meaning more draw per pack on hard manouvers)? Could it be that while the wheel is smaller it has a larger mass due to the more powerful motor making it store more energy at similar speeds? Is it just perception?

I'd guess it's software. Maybe GW have to be more careful with their firmware to not blow their weaker components? (No idea of any GT16 vs GW hardware comparison)

Also, a softer ride mode may make it seem more sluggish in comparison, but the rider could act more to get the same reaction like with less action on a more direct wheel.

Or it's just the higher speed. A little speed increase increases the power needed for braking quite a lot.

13 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

I'm confused why such a powerful wheel should be considered to be sluggish. It is lighter than other Gotway offerings and has a smaller wheel which is generally more nimble on. Could it be the smaller battery packs (less parallel packs meaning more draw per pack on hard manouvers)? Could it be that while the wheel is smaller it has a larger mass due to the more powerful motor making it store more energy at similar speeds? Is it just perception?

It's probably a combination of things. Firmware, riding mode, and so on.

If you go from "playing mode" to "walking mode" on a GT16, you get much the same effect. It becomes a bit less jittery, but acceleration and breaking suffers.

I currently have the Msuper V1 HS bought 2 years ago and have now pulled the trigger and ordered the Tesla from green and fashion travaling shop. Will be fun to try the new wheel, I am expecting it to be quite the upgrade both in the speed and hopefully the safety department. It will probably take som time for it to reach Sweden, will update with my impressions when it does.

One thing I haven't seen is if this wheel has tiltback or not? Not that it matters that much though with the top speed being well beyond what I will use...

3 hours ago, zege said:

I currently have the Msuper V1 HS bought 2 years ago and have now pulled the trigger and ordered the Tesla from green and fashion travaling shop. Will be fun to try the new wheel, I am expecting it to be quite the upgrade both in the speed and hopefully the safety department. It will probably take som time for it to reach Sweden, will update with my impressions when it does.

One thing I haven't seen is if this wheel has tiltback or not? Not that it matters that much though with the top speed being well beyond what I will use...

Tilt-back shouldn't be a problem. Set tilt-back low to train. Like walking/running speed <15kmh, and get used to how it behaves. Then when you go fast, you won't be shocked by sudden tilt-back that behaves unexpectedly.

On my GT16 with V2 electronics, tilt-back is so smooth I kind of just look down with my eyebrows up at the helmet rim saying "wooooot!"
You go too fast, or lean to hard, then you don't - nothing more to it :D 

On 9/6/2017 at 12:54 PM, Adel said:

Thanks for the great review Tishawn :thumbup:

Looks very promising, you make a much better case for the wheel than Gotway did when they launched this thing.

Look forward to part 2, by the way does the tesla has built in trolley handle ?

thank you very much. I have a much more detailed review i'll put it in the video section shortly!

On 9/24/2017 at 9:09 PM, steve454 said:

Sorry, I just think you have a lot of fans on the forum and your video and riding skills are amazing!  That drone shot rising above the wheels was great!  Thanks again, and best wishes to you!  Please forgive me also.  

oh no not at all. Not your fault! I love sharing information - and I should have stuck around to answer! That wont happen again!  As for the drone shots - haha thanks! I LOVE EUC'S! I have to give them the drone treatments haha! Yeah none of these companies advertise or create decent videos. I felt like I have to at least try!

On 9/24/2017 at 10:34 PM, Marty Backe said:

Fair enough. For me the light is astounding, and someone can correct me but no other wheel on the market has a light as bright as the Tesla/Mten3.

You now have me on the hunt now-  lol...I dont remember which video but I did say the MTen/Tesla lights are much brighter than the previous models. Here in NY some of the trails or roads are poorly lit or dont have light at all. While the the headlight on the 2 models are better it's not enough.I guess I'm comparing it to the lights you can purchase with brighter lumens haha!!

On 9/21/2017 at 4:22 AM, Meng Yang said:

No worries about dealing with slow traffic. V8 is capable. Question is, "Is the rider ready?". If the rider has the skills, V8 will measure up. If rider is ready, V8 is ready. But if rider doesn't have the skills, V8 can be a handful. Also, if rider isn't in the mood, the V8 is more demanding than necessary. So, practice and up your skills. Warm-up and get into the mood if you know the route ahead is challenging. V8 is the most responsive wheel out there. If you give it the right inputs, it will give you the right results. On the other hand, if you are sloppy, so will the ride.

Next, V8 is reliable. No doubt. 

Interesting that you say the V8 is the most responsive wheel available. Even more so than a KS16S? I really do enjoy riding mine on winding trails, almost like a one-wheeled motorbike, but I still could go for one with an even sportier feel and response. 

With the comments here, it's also settled then that I need a second wheel for the commute and cruise rides. 

5 hours ago, Kael said:

Interesting that you say the V8 is the most responsive wheel available. Even more so than a KS16S? I really do enjoy riding mine on winding trails, almost like a one-wheeled motorbike, but I still could go for one with an even sportier feel and response. 

You're right. I don't know for sure, coz I've never tried a KS16S. However, its just a feel I got from reading various comments all over the place. Thus, my impression.

28 minutes ago, Meng Yang said:

You're right. I don't know for sure, coz I've never tried a KS16S. However, its just a feel I got from reading various comments all over the place. Thus, my impression.

I think it depends a bit what you mean by responsive though. For example, I think a V8 can't really compare in raw acceleration or breaking with a wheel that is twice as strong - or am I wrong? But being thin and having the pedals high probably means it's agile out of proportion to its 18" when it comes to turning tight circles at low to medium speeds.

I haven't tested the V8, but I really doubt it can hold a candle to the acceleration or breaking of a GT16 with a 2kW (nominal) motor.

On 9/24/2017 at 11:25 PM, Meng Yang said:

GT16 V2 motor should be 2000W (3000W peak) while Tesla's should be 1900W (4000W peak). Well, correct me if I"m wrong. TQ.

I’m curious how we are doing this math? How are we getting 4000w peak on the Tesla , and 3000w peak on gt16 ?

Archived