The Gotway Tesla 1020wh Model Open Box and Initial thoughts

Hello All, It's been awhile since i've been on here but thought why not share my thoughts on this wheel, I was lucky to get. It's a prototype  that was sent to me by Gotway America to keep. I decided to share my experiences with everyone.

www.Gotwayamerica.com

I also want to thank @houseofjob for helping me put this video together!

I cant give an review since I just got it and want to spend time with it.

Here are some specs.

Motor - 1900watt

Battery - (this model) 1020wh

Built in Trolley - yes

Light Belt - yes (reminds me of the ninebot days)

Weight - 42.8 lbs

Brighter head light compared to previous models.

4 pin charger - same as the Msuper V3s+ 84v

Max speed so far - 30mph!

Built in dual fan- silent could barely hear it.

I feel like this wheel have some type of shock absorption.. Not sure how to describe it but it goes over cracks and bumps with easy.

Very comfortable to ride although when trying to ride on 1 leg i'm experiencing a slight pain on my shin. Not sure if its something I have to get use to or is it because of the thin padding that was placed there.

I created a video that should help with how it looks and test rides. Hope you guys like it.

Also motherboard is now placed on the top of the wheel instead of the usual side next to the batterie.

Cables seems to look well connected here are some pics.

Again i hope this helps. 

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the great review Tishawn :thumbup:

Looks very promising, you make a much better case for the wheel than Gotway did when they launched this thing.

Look forward to part 2, by the way does the tesla has built in trolley handle ?

2 minutes ago, Adel said:

Thanks for the great review Tishawn :thumbup:

Looks very promising, you make a much better case for the wheel than Gotway did when they launched this thing.

Look forward to part 2, by the way does the tesla has built in trolley handle ?

Yes it does, look at 1:25 on the video.

Great post, thanks! Especially for the detailed inside pictures:thumbup:

1 hour ago, em1barns said:

Key questions are:

- are the axles thicker?

- are the wires thicker?

- what makes it less likely to fail on us than other Gotway wheels (+1 for fans)

• Does not look like it.
  • Does not look like it.
  • At least the 3 motor wires are separated by this heat sleeve thing, so they can't short easily. That's it.

--

I'm disappointed that the electronics seem to be the exact same old crap (they only separated the individiual motor cables and that's it regarding improvements?). Especially looking at what Kingsong did with the S models - [afaik] cables so thick that basically the batteries give up first (which is good, because these are monitored) before anything melts, and lots of breakers. These aren't rocket science improvements, just natural ones. Gotway? They only fixed one thing - motor cables melting against each other, and shorting. Pure bug fix. Anything else?:mellow:

Opening up the Tesla with @Tishawn Fahie, the wiring / connectors seemed to be the current, existing improved methods as what they are putting in their most recent production wheels, as they look the same as when I helped @Pengo do a board swap for his recent ACM 84V purchase, post Gotway oscillation fix.

8 minutes ago, Tomek said:

looks better than expected!

was my same impression on first sight (TBH, wasn't at all interested in the new Gotway Tesla model, but looked way better in person)

9 minutes ago, Tomek said:

I only don't get why they've designed the shell so tall. it looks like it could have easily been made more compact.

1. Cooling: the board + heatsink + fan stacked are now located atop the wheel casing (ala MCM4, all KingSong wheels, etc.) which improves cooling, but necessitates the taller height. IMHO this is a waayyyy better position than housing the board in the same enclosed compartment as the battery, and below the battery (ala ACM / MSuper) where the board is also first contact with water submersion.
  2. Reduced Thickness: the Tesla, on brief try, is now a much more manageable thickness, so you no longer need to stand bowl-legged, like some users had complained for the higher battery versions of ACM / MSuper / Monster (FWIW, I got used to this thickness for my Monster)
  3. Better Pedal Clearance for Turns: because the overall height is now taller for the Tesla, the pedals can sit higher than previous Gotways, which is key IMHO for sharp instant turns, especially with the big ACM-style pedals, to prevent pedal scrape.

There is an integrated trolley, similar to Inmotion V8. I love this style of trolley. Very practical.

Tesla is not tall at all. Its just right, unless you are extremely short. I'm 5'4" but like the height of the V8. Tesla is about the same height. I like it that at speeds or on wobbles, I can use the inside of my lower leg to grip the top of the V8 shell for stability. This is something KS-18 users appreciate. Unfortunately, the KS-18 is really too tall for me. If you are a V8 fan, you will like the Tesla. However, the side of the Tesla is more plastic than foam, so perhaps that's why Tishawn said there's minor pain on the shin on riding 1-leg. The rear also doesn't have a proper brake light. The flashing belt lights at the sides becomes red upon braking.

For what's its worth, I think the Tesla is not officially out yet but some shops are already taking pre-orders. For example, Gotway France announced Tesla's marketing & beta-testing phases are November and October respectively. Fyi, I've pre-ordered my Tesla via a Singapore shop, The Wheelies (https://thewheelies.sg/). ETA November. Cost S$1999.

I've also got these other links:
https://store.urban360.es/product/gotway-tesla-1020wh-84v/
http://gotway-france.com/.../91-gotway-tesla-1020-84v.html
http://www.eroue.fr/produit/gotway-tesla-1020-84v-monoroue/

If you're from America, you may wanna chat with Gotway America:
https://www.gotwayamerica.com/

2 hours ago, Tomek said:

I only don't get why they've designed the shell so tall. it looks like it could have easily been made more compact.

Maybe so there is room to accomodate a variety of battery capacity sizes

3 hours ago, Meng Yang said:

There is an integrated trolley, similar to Inmotion V8. I love this style of trolley. Very practical.

Tesla is not tall at all. Its just right, unless you are extremely short. I'm 5'4" but like the height of the V8. Tesla is about the same height. I like it that at speeds or on wobbles, I can use the inside of my lower leg to grip the top of the V8 shell for stability. This is something KS-18 users appreciate. Unfortunately, the KS-18 is really too tall for me. If you are a V8 fan, you will like the Tesla. However, the side of the Tesla is more plastic than foam, so perhaps that's why Tishawn said there's minor pain on the shin on riding 1-leg. The rear also doesn't have a proper brake light. The flashing belt lights at the sides becomes red upon braking.

For what's its worth, I think the Tesla is not officially out yet but some shops are already taking pre-orders. For example, Gotway France announced Tesla's marketing & beta-testing phases are November and October respectively. Fyi, I've pre-ordered my Tesla via a Singapore shop, The Wheelies (https://thewheelies.sg/). ETA November. Cost S$1999.

I've also got these other links:
https://store.urban360.es/product/gotway-tesla-1020wh-84v/
http://gotway-france.com/.../91-gotway-tesla-1020-84v.html
http://www.eroue.fr/produit/gotway-tesla-1020-84v-monoroue/

If you're from America, you may wanna chat with Gotway America:
https://www.gotwayamerica.com/

$2,000 is definitely up there in price.  That puts it at KS-18 1680, Msuper 1600, Monster 1600 price range and would be the smallest wheel out of all of them with the smallest battery size.  I realize it has a higher voltage motor and some other features but for this price I'll def be waiting on this one.  

52 minutes ago, KalSeth said:

Maybe so there is room to accomodate a variety of battery capacity sizes

No room for bigger packs with the current design unless you go wider.

23 minutes ago, Acturbo said:

$2,000 is definitely up there in price.  That puts it at KS-18 1680, Msuper 1600, Monster 1600 price range and would be the smallest wheel out of all of them with the smallest battery size.  I realize it has a higher voltage motor and some other features but for this price I'll def be waiting on this one.  

These things are always priced by battery size, but the Tesla bumps up the nominal power and max speed (still 84V with same GX16-4 charge port), so not a perfect comparison.

The power and battery size align better with the 2kw nominal, ~1kwh GT16, which is closer to $1k USD, albeit the GT16 is ~7mph slower.

23 minutes ago, Acturbo said:

@Meng Yang - This $2,000 amount is Singapore dollar currency or US dollars? I agree with Acturbo that for $2,000 USD that is way too steep for being the smallest wheel with the smallest battery size. Now if the $2,000 price is in Singapore dollars (which would translate to $1,481 USD), then that certainly would be a more fair price for the Tesla specs. So is the Tesla $1,481 USD or $2,000 USD?

47 minutes ago, Ethereal said:

@Meng Yang - This $2,000 amount is Singapore dollar currency or US dollars? I agree with Acturbo that for $2,000 USD that is way too steep for being the smallest wheel with the smallest battery size. Now if the $2,000 price is in Singapore dollars (which would translate to $1,481 USD), then that certainly would be a more fair price for the Tesla specs. So is the Tesla $1,481 USD or $2,000 USD?

Good catch sir.  I didn't see the S in front of the price he listed until you posted this.

58 minutes ago, Ethereal said:

Now if the $2,000 price is in Singapore dollars (which would translate to $1,481 USD), then that certainly would be a more fair price for the Tesla specs. So is the Tesla $1,481 USD or $2,000 USD?

Tesla?  Has Gotway licensed the name somehow?  Is Tesla owning Gotway now?  Ohhhh:whistling:

1. Gotway America (https://www.facebook.com/groups/884394168381825/) is taking pre-orders starting from the week 10-16 September onwards.
  2. Ethereal is right! S$1999 = US$1483
  3. I’m not too sure how the ventilation system works in Tesla, and if it’ll be effective. Sure, there are 2 fans internally, but where does the heat go? Where is the intake for cool air? It looks to be a completely sealed off package. Although it is good the mainboard has been relocated up top (in contrast to past Gotway models), its unlike the GT16’s open design with proper intake/exhaust slits high up top (though susceptible to water intake as well). Heard the past Gotway models have over-heating issues with long climbs, so will be interesting how Tesla’s fan-enabled, sealed-off shell system (at least safe from rain) will handle the heat in long, steep, sustained climbs.

34 minutes ago, Meng Yang said:
  1. Gotway America (https://www.facebook.com/groups/884394168381825/) is taking pre-orders starting from the week 10-16 September onwards.
  2. Ethereal is right! S$1999 = US$1483
  3. I’m not too sure how the ventilation system works in Tesla, and if it’ll be effective. Sure, there are 2 fans internally, but where does the heat go? Where is the intake for cool air? It looks to be a completely sealed off package. Although it is good the mainboard has been relocated up top (in contrast to past Gotway models), its unlike the GT16’s open design with proper intake/exhaust slits high up top (though susceptible to water intake as well). Heard the past Gotway models have over-heating issues with long climbs, so will be interesting how Tesla’s fan-enabled, sealed-off shell system (at least safe from rain) will handle the heat in long, steep, sustained climbs.

The ACM and MSuper rarely (very rare) overheat (>79 degrees Celsius). They have no fans. Then Gotway introduces the Monster which has two fans (with no ventilation to the outside of the wheel) and the Monster easily overheats. I own all three wheels and speak from experience.

So I agree with you - I think the fans are a gimmick in the Gotway wheels.

2 hours ago, Meng Yang said:
  1. I’m not too sure how the ventilation system works in Tesla, and if it’ll be effective. Sure, there are 2 fans internally, but where does the heat go? Where is the intake for cool air? It looks to be a completely sealed off package. Although it is good the mainboard has been relocated up top (in contrast to past Gotway models), its unlike the GT16’s open design with proper intake/exhaust slits high up top (though susceptible to water intake as well). 

From peeking inside but not completely disassembling it, the fans seem likely mounted to the heatsink of the board to facilitate dumping the heat coming off the heatsink itself towards the spinning wheel directly under it. 

Curious I don't remember hearing too many issues regarding MCM4 overheating / melted cable issues relative to the other models, so perhaps this internal design / orientation is here to stay across the future Gotway line.

25 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

From peeking inside but not completely disassembling it, the fans seem likely mounted to the heatsink of the board to facilitate dumping the heat coming off the heatsink itself towards the spinning wheel directly under it.

Logical conjecture. It may just be the case of how the Tesla enclosure works. Spinning wheel creates turbulance, draws up cool air via the rear part of wheel, enters mainboard areas while fans push out hot air above mainboard to join in the airflow below mainboard and gets exhausted via the front part of wheel. But if this didn't work for the Monster, wonder how it may have been tweaked to work for Tesla. Will need to wait for someone to test it out. Well, at least water won't get in like the way GT16 or KS-18S possibly do. Lucky for me, there're no long hills here in SG. Its flat as a pancake over here. :rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, Meng Yang said:

But if this didn't work for the Monster, wonder how it may have been tweaked to work for Tesla. 

The Monster fans are side-mounted on the offset heatsink appendage of the board assembly; not ideal, not a direct airflow escape as it's facing the side of the spinning wheel, and the heatsink is not directly under the board's heating elements.

This Tesla method I believe is the same way the GT16 utilizes the spinning wheel airflow to facilitate heat escape (outside of  its open case design).

14 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

The Monster fans are side-mounted on the offset heatsink appendage of the board assembly; not ideal, not a direct airflow escape as it's facing the side of the spinning wheel, and the heatsink is not directly under the board's heating elements.

This Tesla method I believe is the same way the GT16 utilizes the spinning wheel airflow to facilitate heat escape (outside of  its open case design).

But why do they even need fans? The ACM (also a 16 inch wheel) essentially never overheats yet it has no fans. Same with the MSuper.

18 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

But why do they even need fans? The ACM (also a 16 inch wheel) essentially never overheats yet it has no fans. Same with the MSuper.

Dunno, I buy into the fans, ala computers, but they're not magic.

Personally think the heatsinks are not implemented most effectively. If this were an actual PC computer, the main overheating elements, like the MOSFets, would each have gigantic heatsink/fans thermal paste -mounted directly to them, just like how CPU chips do.

Archived