The Gotway Tesla 1020wh Model Open Box and Initial thoughts

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

The greyhound walking/running video would be so cool. 

Absolutely!

Can you imagine a promo video of Monster vs Greyhound in a straight line?! That would be EPIC! :shock2:

Wheelzworld claimed a theoretical top speed of 74 kph for its new Monster, so a challenge between the two isn't so far fetch afterall.

Anyway, since learning about the greyhound, I have a new-found respect for dogs. Our regular EUCs may not be able to outgun some of them afterall.

1 hour ago, Chris Westland said:

I think electric fans in an EUC are a bit silly (just my $0.02).  The wheel is already moving and losing energy through stabilization, braking and rolling resistance ... why not just add one more braking source with centrifugal fan blades.  Since most of us only ride in one direction (forward) the geometry is clear -- suck in air from the hub and point it at the control board/FET heat sinks.  "Centrifugal" (rather than axial fans like a Cooler Master type PC fans that are probably used in the Gotway) create a steadier, higher pressure airflow despite a lower flow rate than axials.  They require a higher power input, but you've got lots to spare in a 1900W motor; the faster you go, the more airflow you get.   Because of the high pressure they create, centrifugal fans are ideal for cooling.  The fan itself would have curved, probably plastic fins on the hub motor casing (just a plastic module attached to the wheel) and intake vents in the case next to the hub.  Point the airflow to the bottom of the heatsink for FETs and control board electronics, using ducts molded into the outside plastic casing when it is manufactured.

275px-CentrifugalFan.png

Exactlly this kind of fans are in the KS14d and S and in the 16S!! Thats what i meant with radial fans!

And believe me...they work good :-)

2 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Exactlly this kind of fans are in the KS14d and S and in the 16S!! Thats what i meant with radial fans!

And believe me...they work good :-)

Didn't know that ... they already stole my idea :shock2: ... I need to start looking more seriously at KingSong's EUCs

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

@Chris Westland, you speak Chinese? You should be translating the Ninebot and Tesla videos that have been posted lately. Note necessarily literally, but in summary.

I could ... I haven't been watching the videos, but will take a look and see what they are saying (usually not much that you wouldn't get on a spec sheet, e.g., in the case of Meng Yang's video ... they are more promotional than informative, but they look nice and give a feel for the product ...

3 hours ago, Meng Yang said:

Lol :lol: Nope. You've misunderstood. I'm Singaporean. Neither from HK nor working for Gotway. I'm just a regular EUC rider who happened to pick up this video from Youtube a while ago and thought of sharing it in this forum. Since not everyone understands Mandarin, I thought I'd dub it. The only thing I couldn't dub was that cute girl's intention on her Tesla ... and if I had to guess, she must have thought she was on a 9B strolling ultra slowly (when she should be tearing down the road coz Tesla's designed to be a speedfreak's wet dream! :wub:). :P:P:P

I should have known ... Singapore seems to be the epicenter of EUC's in Asia ... I've promised one of my friends, who is a professor at NUS, that I'd ride around Singapore next time I am there ...

2 minutes ago, Chris Westland said:

I should have known ... Singapore seems to be the epicenter of EUC's in Asia ... I've promised one of my friends, who is a professor at NUS, that I'd ride around Singapore next time I am there ...

At least they have one of the best promoters ever down there: The wheelies...Thomas Hoon! has done a lot for EUC riding!

Unfortunatly because of the law in singapore (25kmh max) they focus a bit to much on the smaller,  less powerfull wheels.

even 18inch wheels are more or less seldom, as they are all out of the "law range"

FANS:

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

My understanding is that the KingSong wheels have vents to the outside which would make the fans more useful, I think :confused1:

Useful... for what?:whistling:

Still don't understand how some fans can help when a small electric part overheats (like a mosfet that's going to blow) because it's essentially electrically overstressed (too much current/voltage/whatever for the specific part). Won't fans just delay the inevitable, and not for very long? Can that little heat convection really do anything more? It's like touching into an electrical outlet with metal scissors and hoping your room fan will make you not die from the electric shock - that won't work.

I guess as a general heat collection prevention method, a fan can do something, and if it's only general component longevity in 40°C vs 60°C or so. But for everything else, fans seem useless to me. After all, some wheels have no fans and work perfectly fine.

--

TESLA:

6 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Yes, they could've done the same cram-the-board-at-the bottom method that the ACM & MSuperV3 employ, with smaller battery pack board-side (to accommodate the added board dimension), then squeeze another pack atop where the board used to be, ala KS18 style.

But I personally prefer the current Tesla orientation, which echoes in the KingSong wheels & Rockwheel GT16... and gives the wheel an equal weight balance too, unlike the Monster 2400WH which houses 2 packs down one leg and is restricted to 1 pack board-side.

Yea, for the Tesla a side board makes less sense. If you want a narrow wheel, put the board on top, simple. Just saying, you can have a ergonomic wheel with a side board too, it does not necessarily fuck up the pedal ergonomics.

Since a board is so light, weight balance is only a problem if a board takes the space where a battery would be (like on the 2400Wh Monster). Otherwise, it's no problem - like on the ACM, on side has the board in the space below the battery, other has nothing.

6 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Don't all wheels need some buffer room for the battery, just in case, in a fall for example, something punctures the wheel, and thus possibly the battery pack so stuff like this doesn't happen?

Good point. Might be a consideration (though I don't believe it). But the 2400Wh Monster is pretty full (on the side with 2 battery packs) with much less space left compared to the Tesla/Kingsong central pillar battery. But maybe we should not take Gotway as an example of "they do it, so it must be ok";)

--

TESLA vs ACM:

@Meng Yang Thanks very much for the translation!

6 hours ago, Meng Yang said:
Tesla improves on the ACM in many areas.

Wondering if this means there will be no new ACM, just a new Gotway 16 inch which is the Tesla now.

5 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

TESLA vs ACM:

@Meng Yang Thanks very much for the translation!

Wondering if this means there will be no new ACM, just a new Gotway 16 inch which is the Tesla now.

Had the ACM been equipped with an integrated trolley, I would have bought it long ago. So, to me, Tesla IS the "new ACM" (and much more)! :wub::thumbup: Can't wait for my pre-order to be delivered between Oct-Nov 17. Hyped! :w00t2:

20 minutes ago, Meng Yang said:

Had the ACM been equipped with an integrated trolley, I would have bought it long ago. So, to me, Tesla IS the "new ACM" (and much more)! :wub::thumbup: Can't wait for my pre-order to be delivered between Oct-Nov 17. Hyped! :w00t2:

My only disappointment is the range. I'm spoiled by the 1600wh batteries available on the ACM and MSuper.

12 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

My only disappointment is the range. I'm spoiled by the 1600wh batteries available on the ACM and MSuper.

Agreed, this wheel is great for people that take short trips.  I always end up start on a 3 mile trip and stretching it to 20.  Would think about pre ordering one if it had the larger battery.  1000 Wh is the biggest for this one correct?  Doesn't look like any room in the case for more battery.

Just now, meepmeepmayer said:

Haha, I know this. "It's soooo hot, I need to cool off with a short ride" (during summer nights)... 45km later "Oh this was longer than expected!":D

I frequent trips back to my house.  I'll tell myself I'm done for the evening then I'll arrive home from a ride and want to ride more, so I turn back around and head out for more.  The darkness will eventually force me to return.....................................

I think the control board on top of the wheel is a logical choice. what I meant with my earlier comment is that the part between the control board compartment an the handle is unnecessarily tall, and it also gives the wheel an "eggy" look.

i also think that ACM might cool better because the heatsink is atrached to the pedal support, which helps dissipate heat.

The merit of fans was discussed a while back in the Kingsong thread and someone brought up a nice link explaining how air circulation is efficient even in closed compartments. couldn't trace it back though.

2 hours ago, Acturbo said:

Agreed, this wheel is great for people that take short trips.  I always end up start on a 3 mile trip and stretching it to 20.  Would think about pre ordering one if it had the larger battery.  1000 Wh is the biggest for this one correct?  Doesn't look like any room in the case for more battery.

I believe so. But the original ACM was only available up to 820wh. So who knows, maybe they will come out with a bigger batter version later.

9 minutes ago, Tomek said:

can any of the Tesla beta testers compare their impressions with Rockwheel gt16? is the torque/acceleration similar?

That's the exact comparison we did when @Tishawn Fahie dropped by with the Tesla, against my GT16.

The 2 companies are different driving feels; apples and oranges. But torque and acceleration are comparable, just that the Tesla has higher max speed.

Also, the Tesla is a bigger overall body, so feels sturdier. Beginners might say 'more stable', but if you ride well enough, that all doesn't matter as, in the end, you're still riding on the same 16" x 2.125" tire.

10 minutes ago, em1barns said:

This wheel looks promising, but it will be hell for distributors to choose from the various combination of battery / voltage! 

Why the hell is Gotway keeping the 67v versions on a new wheel?

67V cheaper?

Anyway .....

If you're from America, you may wanna chat with Gotway America. They are taking pre-orders for first production run of Tesla 1020Wh 84V (Sanyo GA) and 680Wh 67V (Panasonic PF) models. US$1,899 for 1020Wh and US$1,549 for 680Wh. 1 year warranty. ETA Nov 17.

https://www.gotwayamerica.com/tesla

Gotway America Tesla price.jpg

Archived