The Gotway Tesla 1020wh Model Open Box and Initial thoughts

3 hours ago, stevedig said:

seriously? 

somebody didn't like that I found the above calculations amusing?

vote me down, by all means. I'm still chuckling tho. lol

I thought it was funny, especially considering the prevailing stereotype that our Asian friends are supposed to have superior math skills ?

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

any reccomendations what to set the max speed at in the app for the tesla?

Many people, including myself, recommend turning off tilt-back (no max speed) and instead just slow down if you ever hear the 3rd alarm. In lower battery conditions there is a possibility that tilt-back at high speed may result in a cut-out if there isn't enough reserve battery power left.

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Many people, including myself, recommend turning off tilt-back (no max speed) and instead just slow down if you ever hear the 3rd alarm. In lower battery conditions there is a possibility that tilt-back at high speed may result in a cut-out if there isn't enough reserve battery power left.

and when does the 3rd alarm go off? is it a certain speed?

4 hours ago, Shad0z said:

and when does the 3rd alarm go off? is it a certain speed?

There is some debate about that. It's also called the 80% alarm. Some people think it's at a fixed speed. Others (including me) think it comes on when only ~20% of available motor power is available, for the given battery reserve.

So think of the 3rd alarm as an indicator that you are approaching the limits of the wheel for your given battery level.

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

There is some debate about that. It's also called the 80% alarm. Some people think it's at a fixed speed. Others (including me) think it comes on when only ~20% of available motor power is available, for the given battery reserve.

So think of the 3rd alarm as an indicator that you are approaching the limits of the wheel for your given battery level.

I off all alarms and tiltback via the app. Does this 3rd alarm sound by default???

Thanksss :D

12 minutes ago, marrrkyyy said:

I off all alarms and tiltback via the app. Does this 3rd alarm sound by default???

Thanksss :D

The 3rd alarm cannot be disabled or adjusted. So you're good.

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The 3rd alarm cannot be disabled or adjusted. So you're good.

Good to know. 

One more thing, not sure why but I hear the sound of the fans sometimes.

Wonder if they turn on only when I use the wheels after speed tests and long burst etc. 

Or if they spin by default all the time?

13 minutes ago, marrrkyyy said:

Good to know. 

One more thing, not sure why but I hear the sound of the fans sometimes.

Wonder if they turn on only when I use the wheels after speed tests and long burst etc. 

Or if they spin by default all the time?

I don't have a Tesla, but the fans come on in my Monster and Mten3 when the internal temperature rises above ~43 degrees Fahrenheit. So the fans are running most of the time. I suspect the same holds true for the Tesla.

12 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't have a Tesla, but the fans come on in my Monster and Mten3 when the internal temperature rises above ~43 degrees Fahrenheit. So the fans are running most of the time. I suspect the same holds true for the Tesla.

I see.

I asked because last night I noticeably heard the fans spinning from my Tesla louder than usual. 

Maybe it was just late and quiet at night that I could hear it after a speed test. 

Anyways good to know.

Anyone with experience with temperature on Tesla? My highest (based on GW app) seems to be 37 degrees celsius. 

10 minutes ago, marrrkyyy said:

I see.

I asked because last night I noticeably heard the fans spinning from my Tesla louder than usual. 

Maybe it was just late and quiet at night that I could hear it after a speed test. 

Anyways good to know.

Anyone with experience with temperature on Tesla? My highest (based on GW app) seems to be 37 degrees celsius. 

That seems cool. Is it cold where you are riding now? If I'm doing any serious riding and the outside temperature is above 25 degrees, my internal temperature can easily be in the 50's.

Don't worry, Gotway wheels will safely operate into the 70's. If it gets too hot the wheel will start beeping and tilt-back aggressively to keep you from riding.

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking of Lipo batteries catching fire after impact has anyone seen Season 2 of The Grand Tour? Richard Hammond crashed a Rimac multi million dollar electric car. After rolling down an embankment it caught fire. Luckily Richard was pulled to safety first!

25062906018_da9a62e543_b.jpg

Archived