In the news...

Circuitmage

4 hours ago, Mono said:

I don't quite see why the "Ghetto Trash" would be less susceptible to pursue of their own interests and to (legal or illegal) bribery and to corruption than any other ordinary politician. As long as the systems let representatives get away with it, most of them will grab the chance, whether they are professional politicians or randomly selected people.

Have you ever visited the Black Lives Matter website? Specifically their goals?

https://blacklivesmatter.com/about/what-we-believe/

The way I read that manifesto, it recommends specialized treatment depending on who you are. Probably most of that manifesto I don't agree with or want.

Here's the thing: I believe those assholes (or pretty much all poor people who make crappy decisions) I don't agree with should still represent our government, to at least put a brake on, say, slumlords and subprime loan predators. When it comes between choosing the businessman who would lead-poison a whole town for a few bucks versus some racist BLM idealists, I'm leaning towards the idealist because he sees himself more as a steward of the people. The business class is all about consumption and its attendant destruction of the environment, and with the great costs of elections that's all you're electing.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

FYI, Austria is in the northern hemisphere, Australia is next to New Zealand.

Your not giving us much faith in your arguments here with such basic errors. 

yeah , got me again, Auto correct can only do so much. correction Australia-   dyslexia sucks  

31 minutes ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

I notice you didn't actually state your qualifications and instead referred to some TV host instead. 

I wager you have no qualifications and are trying to divert from the question instead. 

I was pretty high up in a government science dept. Top 10% of my class in a very limited circle of government science egg heads. But that is beside the point and also seems to be a diversion. By the way what are your qualification?   

I can see you are very angry and I don't blame you. Take a challenge. Look into it yourself.  The fact are out there........ 

Good night. I am going to bed. 

Edited by RockyTop

So still no qualifications. Gotcha, not qualified. Gosh, who would of thought reading through that dribble?

FYI dyslexia doesn't cause you to not know the name of a country, nice try pretending but not a single person believes you. 

Edited by Alex_from_NZ
  • Like 1

My humble suggestion for moving a little closer towards what science has to say about climate change (e.g. in particular whether temperatures have declined in the last 100 years and what the sun has to do with it):

from one of the few science journalists I would be confident to say that he has read and sufficiently well understood a bulk of the relevant literature.

Pinellas County, Florida, near Tampa, is the dangerous place to bicycle in the United States, according to federal data. Similarly, Florida has "by far" the highest per-capita cyclist death rate in the country, writes The Wall Street Journal, in a new report. The reason? Florida has an older population, wide suburban roads, lots of tourists unfamiliar with the area, alcohol and, of course, warm weather that allows for bicycling all year. Louisiana, Arizona, South Carolina and California round out the top five most deadly.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Esper said:

Pinellas County, Florida, near Tampa, is the dangerous place to bicycle in the United States, according to federal data. Similarly, Florida has "by far" the highest per-capita cyclist death rate in the country, writes The Wall Street Journal, in a new report. The reason? Florida has an older population, wide suburban roads, lots of tourists unfamiliar with the area, alcohol and, of course, warm weather that allows for bicycling all year. Louisiana, Arizona, South Carolina and California round out the top five most deadly.

Florida also has more people riding bikes per-capita. It is easier to ride there. I have to drop 300 feet in elevation just to leave my subdivision here.

I remember as a kid when I lived in Florida I would ride 5 miles against the wind to get to K-mart. On the return trip I would grab a large piece of cardboard and strap it to my back as a wind sail. When I got older I would grab car door handles.  Four door car worked best. They don’t make door handles like that anymore.  If my mom had ever caught me I would have been grounded for life.  And yes, yet another reason for high deaths in Florida.

Edited by RockyTop

2 hours ago, RockyTop said:

Florida also has more people riding bikes per-capita.

Who would have thought that the Wall Street Journal may be so inapt as to draw conclusions from using per capita numbers instead of per cyclist numbers. What?

• Upvote 1

I can vouch for California being dangerous for cyclists.  Blaming it on a few things:  poor road repair, a great deal of unlicensed and very likely untrained drivers, and an aggressive and solipsistic road culture, well in keeping with the self-absorption common there.  

I was a tremendously avid bicyclist.  When I first came to California, I got a bicycle and within a single day had sworn off bicycles -- at least in California -- forever.

• 3 weeks later...

E-scooters allowed by Raleigh NC City Council - "One of our community values is getting people on bikes and walking. I am just really frustrated about where the conversation is going, instead of embracing the new technology and being the city we want to be," said City Councilwoman Nicole Stewart.

https://www.wral.com/e-scooters-will-continue-to-roll-around-raleigh-at-least-for-now/17919032/

Edited by Holt
  • Like 2

Never thought Segways and sidewalks could be so dangerous.

Interestingly, the city that ended up paying 1.7 million medical costs required that Segway tours carry insurance. Perhaps a better solution is to fix the sidewalks.

Although that pictured sidewalk looks like a launch ramp. I personally wouldn't want that to be fixed.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Never thought Segways and sidewalks could be so dangerous.

Interestingly, the city that ended up paying 1.7 million medical costs required that Segway tours carry insurance. Perhaps a better solution is to fix the sidewalks.

Although that pictured sidewalk looks like a launch ramp. I personally wouldn't want that to be fixed.

I can't say that I blame them for requiring insurance. The tour company bears a lot of responsibility for insuring a safe route is chosen and, IMO, is really the guilty party in this. I'm just glad that the restrictions on tour operators weren't more onerous.

Does anyone have any experience with their town/city implementation of modern electric transportation governance?  

The City of Raleigh did not regulate or create any updated rules on birds and I’m interested in submitting a plan for SET (sustainable electric transportation).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Holt said:

Does anyone have any experience with their town/city implementation of modern electric transportation governance?  

The City of Raleigh did not regulate or create any updated rules on birds and I’m interested in submitting a plan for SET (sustainable electric transportation).

St Louis had great success in introducing eScooters everywhere by simply screaming, "racism!" towards those who were anti-scooter.

While this article doesn't give the full story it does show the reasonable compromises need to introduce eScooters to a city that is rather more car centric.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/traffic/along-for-the-ride/st-louis-bars-electric-scooters-from-sidewalks-requires-helmets/article_a7223469-24da-5f03-8d86-6ad05361892d.html

Both Bird and Lime eScooters can be used for free by certain "ethnically disadvantaged persons", and I think this was a terrific idea by Bird and Lime, as Bird and Lime scooters are now everywhere like cockroaches. Despite the vast numbers of eScooters, they see extremely heavy usage, way more the bicycles, and if you see one on your map you have to run to get it. If you get to your destination you end up just keeping it since it won't be available if you release it.

I think scooters will become the dominant form of urban mobility fairly soon. They carpet bombed cities and still cannot keep up with demand.

Why haven't I gone on a trip to France? Oh...that's why;

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-scooters/france-to-ban-electric-scooters-from-sidewalks-idUSKCN1MX2HK

Another news posting stated a class action suit by a personal injury attorney in CA, citing "Draconian" user agreements on scooters. :(

Seems like this is going to be a polarized ongoing battle. I think scooters will eventually win, with some compromises. Some places are already posting signs "No scooters..."

In my area the city council continues to review appropriate governance for scooters.  One thing appears to be clear - the police don't consider scooters a priority:

Raleigh’s police chief says she doesn't have the resources to police riders who are not wearing helmets and riding on the sidewalk.

"It would be difficult to prioritize the scooters, as being the No. 1 concern when we are dealing with firearm violence, mental health and when we are dealing with community engagement," Chief Cassandra Deck-Brown said.

https://www.wral.com/e-scooters-will-continue-to-roll-around-raleigh-at-least-for-now/17919032/

Riding an electric scooter on the pavement will soon be illegal in France

https://www.thelocal.fr/20181024/riding-an-electric-scooter-on-the-pavement-will-soon-be-illegal-in-france

By pavement, they seem to mean sidewalks. The article is about scooters, not wheels, but it seems like they will be lumped together.

"We are going to create a new category of vehicles in the Highway Code to allow electric scooters to be ridden on bike lanes or in 30 km/h zones, but their place is not on the sidewalks”.

I kind of wish they would regulate the behavior and not the tool i.e. have a speed limit  for sidewalks and another for bike lanes, just as there are for cars. I don't know of any examples where cars are banned from the streets because they are capable of exceeding the speed limit, but excessive speeding is subject to significant fines.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, winterwheel said:

I kind of wish they would regulate the behavior and not the tool i.e. have a speed limit  for sidewalks and another for bike lanes, just as there are for cars.

I agree with the wish, but I also recognize that a speed limit is difficult enforce, as this would require to measure the speed. I also totally understand the concern of speeding EPVs on sidewalks. As for France, the change of legislation might not change much, because the law may simply never be enforced on riders with reasonably adapted speed on the sidewalk. The French law enforcement is generally not that bad in just ignoring unreasonable legislation.

• Upvote 1