In the news...

Circuitmage

More recent scooter fatalities. Notably, the SUVs punch through and overrun the riders, and so there's little chance of survival.

Note also the death where the guy "fell off his scooter" is probably a hit and run, as the scooter was crushed.

http://dcist.com/2018/09/rescue.php

https://techcrunch-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/techcrunch.com/2018/09/21/a-lime-scooter-rider-died-this-morning-in-washington-d-c-marking-the-second-fatality-this-month/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1#amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Ftechcrunch.com%2F2018%2F09%2F21%2Fa-lime-scooter-rider-died-this-morning-in-washington-d-c-marking-the-second-fatality-this-month%2F

Edited by LanghamP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dingfelder said:

The Washington Post had a long article, with a link to possibly a better article, inside it, just yesterday.

These issues are definitely accumulating some cultural momentum.  I doubt we've seen the worst of the worry.

What's the link?

Sometimes I feel like going full Mao/Stalin on people, and then...

1. Redistribute resources after a good old fashioned genocide. What could be more socially equal?

2. Reduce car driving to only emergency use and gps speed limiters.

3. Stop people from eating junk food while giving them universal health care.

4. Stop voting and instead randomly select people for public servants. What could motivate people to invest in a better school system than realizing the ghetto trash down the street could be your next congressman?

20 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

What could motivate people to invest in a better school system than realizing the ghetto trash down the street could be your next congressman?

Let's see?  Who do I pick as my next leader? ..... Ghetto Trash or you with your Mao and Stalin ....... Not even close    I pick Ghetto Trash.  

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Let's see?  Who do I pick as my next leader? ..... Ghetto Trash or you with your Mao and Stalin ....... Not even close    I pick Ghetto Trash.  

You're misunderstanding the concept laid out, because if you understood what I was saying then you would realize I'm arguing for ghetto trash as public officials. You cannot disagree with me while advocating the same result as me unless you misunderstood the concept in the first place.

I'm saying democratically elected officials are worse than just randomly selecting officials (mostly because they put their short term business interest ahead of being stewards of the public). The most common argument I hear against randomly selecting people for important positions is, "have you seen how stupid the general population is?" To which I respond, "would you like to make them less stupid so you can trust them enough to make critical decisions?"

I can agree with the results without agreeing with how we got there.  I believe we the people should make our own choices. I choose how I live or die not you or Mao or Stalin. 

Some people see the world and make it better by changing themselves other people see the world and decide everyone else has to challenge as noted in your first post. You don’t like what you see so you want absolute power to force them to change.  

They are only a problem when we are forced by Stalinistic polices to pay for their mistakes. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RockyTop said:

Regarding scooter deaths. People die walking and riding in cars too. 

If you do the research you will find that most people die in bed........and in hospitals ....... mostly in beds.......    while in hospitals  

Beds are dangerous!

From the Washington Post article:

In the District, Friday’s scooter fatality came as traffic deaths are on an upward trend.

As of Friday, the city had recorded 26 fatalities, two more than the same time last year, according to police. Three were bicyclists and ten were pedestrians. Five were motorcyclists, seven were in cars and was riding an ATV. The numbers include the scooter fatality; it is classified as a pedestrian crash.

Time for medical statisticians everywhere to update their accident classifications to separate out personal electric vehicles, or we'll never know how relatively dangerous (or safe) PEDs are compared to other forms of transportation.  Pedestrian is certainly NOT the appropriate category.

Edited by Thai-lad
  • Like 2

On 9/22/2018 at 3:02 PM, RockyTop said:

I can agree with the results without agreeing with how we got there. 

There is something very cryptic about this saying. Almost evil.

Genocide and mass murder are horrible things, but in the end, the smaller population will have more food, there will be reduced pollution, and the market for buying a home will be much less competitive. The results are sound, yet the way we got them is bad.

New drugs that can save lives!! But they tested them on animals and even conducted human trials. There were many failures and a lot of casualties, but in the end the drug was perfected.

This food is poisonous. Very very deadly and if only cooked a specific way it can be edible. Who wants to take the first test bite?

I suppose you are right in that you can agree with results without agreeing with how you got there. But by doing so, you are ignoring the fact that there was a process to get the end result.

The exact opposite is agreeing with how you get there with disagreeing with the results. This would be like a GAS vehicle user saying gas cars are awesome! But disagreeing with global warming and that the gas is only making it worse. 

On 9/22/2018 at 11:44 PM, LanghamP said:

I'm saying democratically elected officials are worse than just randomly selecting officials (mostly because they put their short term business interest ahead of being stewards of the public).

I don't quite see why the "Ghetto Trash" would be less susceptible to pursue of their own interests and to (legal or illegal) bribery and to corruption than any other ordinary politician. As long as the systems let representatives get away with it, most of them will grab the chance, whether they are professional politicians or randomly selected people.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mono said:

I don't quite see why the "Ghetto Trash" would be less susceptible to pursue of their own interests and to (legal or illegal) bribery and to corruption than any other ordinary politician. As long as the systems let representatives get away with it, most of them will grab the chance, whether they are professional politicians or randomly selected people.

Very True!        

The most important part is that the people have the ability to remove and replace their rulers by legislation and if that fails force.

On 7/13/2018 at 6:52 AM, Marty Backe said:

When I'm riding on a beach path and have to get off of my EUC because someone decided to dump their Bird scooter crossways on the path, yeah,  I'm moaning about it. These people are inconsiderate *&!#)^$'s 

I throw them into the ocean or down cliffs whenever they block my path. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Esper said:

There is something very cryptic about this saying. Almost evil.

Genocide and mass murder are horrible things, but in the end, the smaller population will have more food, there will be reduced pollution, and the market for buying a home will be much less competitive. The results are sound, yet the way we got them is bad.

So we agree that it is better that everyone is fed.  You would have Mao or Stalin kill millions of people.  I would free the people to grow and sell food in an open market where people have proven to flourish and somehow my statement is evil?  Wrong is wrong regardless of the results. You can sacrifice yourself but not someone else or there individual rights as a human. 

2 hours ago, Esper said:

I suppose you are right in that you can agree with results without agreeing with how you got there. But by doing so, you are ignoring the fact that there was a process to get the end result.

The ends do not justify the means. You do not have the right to murder or steel or hurt people for your or anyone else's purpose. The word is full of solutions and volunteers if you look for them. 

2 hours ago, Esper said:

The exact opposite is agreeing with how you get there with disagreeing with the results. This would be like a GAS vehicle user saying gas cars are awesome! But disagreeing with global warming and that the gas is only making it worse. 

Pollution is bad. We need to improve. 

Climate change is real .......... and a natural accruing event.  Please do your own research and stop listening to politically motivated fake scientists.  I will give you a little hint. The solar weather controls Climate and temperature.

Edited by RockyTop

2 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Pollution is bad. We need to improve. 

Climate change is real .......... and a natural accruing event.  Please do your own research and stop listening to politically motivated fake scientists.  

Lmfa fucking o. 

You for real bro? Come to New Zealand, check the ozone hole , get burnt in under 30 seconds then go back home and stop talking shit. 

Fake scientists... Lmao, as opposed to your real one's on Facebook.. 

2 minutes ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

Lmfa fucking o. 

You for real bro? Come to New Zealand, check the ozone hole , get burnt in under 30 seconds then go back home and stop talking shit. 

Fake scientists... Lmao, as opposed to your real one's on Facebook.. 

Yeah, I did not expect any other response but then I am not one to hold back on the truth either.  It is caused by changes in solar activity and it is not really a secret.   

1 minute ago, RockyTop said:

Yeah, I did not expect any other response but then I am not one to hold back on the truth either.  It is caused by changes in solar activity and it is not really a secret.   

The ozone hole is caused by changes in solar activity? Which Facebook page did you read that on? Mate, frankly if you believe that rubbish you've just proven your intellect to everyone publicly and from hence forth you should not expect anyone to take you seriously. 

You vote for the orange nutsac as well by chance? I know he likes to spread that fake news shit amongst the uneducated. 

I have never been on Facebook.

Indoctrination is a hard thing to overcome but I wish you well.

I hope you do some of your own research. When they say that 97% of scientist agree you will find that most of the 97% did not agree to be on that list. In fact many are sewing to be removed. 

Again best wishes I did not mean to upset you. 

2 minutes ago, Esper said:

I can't take a person seriously if they spell words wrong. 

You got me. Never could spell,  I have always been more of a math guy. It cones with the dyslexia.  

Edited by RockyTop

It's a sad sad day when even that bastion of denying global warming  being man-made says global warming is man-made.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/11/03/us-report-contradicts-trump-team-warming-mostly-man-made.html

Yes, even Fox News says global warming is here and that it's caused by us humans.

There's going to be dramatic changes in carbon emissions as more people in the world become middle class and greatly exceed the carrying capacity of Earth.

4 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

It's a sad sad day when even that bastion of denying global warming  being man-made says global warming is man-made.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/11/03/us-report-contradicts-trump-team-warming-mostly-man-made.html

Yes, even Fox News says global warming is here and that it's caused by us humans.

There's going to be dramatic changes in carbon emissions as more people in the world become middle class and greatly exceed the carrying capacity of Earth.

Good example. This is a Fox news report of......... a NYT report of........... a government report ..........that has not been made public.   or maybe it has but nobody is reading it. In the end it is not a report but a graph. The story just keeps getting weaker.   Then goes on to say that skeptics disagree. " It is just a ploy from the Obama administration"   

The temperature change does not follow industrial growth.  In fact in the last 100 years when industry has grown the most temperatures have declined. I myself would expect otherwise. Other factors may apply. Or Industry as of yet has not contributed very much, Again pollution is bad. It causes many detrimental problems.  

It is the hottest it has been in 1,500 years. Did we cause that peak too?

If you want to see an absolute direct matching cause and affect relationship you can easily match the solar activity with the earth's temperatures over the last 70 years. We had a cool late spring this year because of a sun spot that took two weeks to move on.  It is no big supersize that the most important part of or solar system is our sun and has the greatest effect on our weather. Why do you think the hole in the ozone is over NZ and Austria? Do you guys use a lot of hair spry? What happened to Egypt? It was not always a desert. Do you think the Egyptians burned a hole in the ozone 10,000 years ago?   ( spelling joke, I always wanted to be stranded on a dessert island)

So who benefits from telling you that we are causing climate change?  Answer: Climate people News people and people that want to control you.  

The truth is we need to change our habits. The world is becoming over populated. A fall is coming. We can not continue in this direction. Are our governments and politicians lying to us about climate change to save us from as future shortage of resources or overpopulation or death from pollution? Maybe, but the ends do not justify the means.  Again pollution is very bad.     But the sun controls the temperature. And climate change has been around longer than humans. 

The real question is what is going to happen first.  The earths core freezing ( electromagnetic catastrophe) or the sun swallows us. 

1 minute ago, RockyTop said:

I can very honestly say that they are higher than Bill Nye and a most of people telling you that climate change is mostly man made. 

I notice you didn't actually state your qualifications and instead referred to some TV host instead. 

I wager you have no qualifications and are trying to divert from the question instead.