In the news...

Circuitmage

6 minutes ago, Holt said:

The BIRD scooters just showed up in Raleigh.  Hate to say it but this could easily become a big mess.  Rode my bot to lunch downtown and more than a few people were behaving badly on them on sidewalks and in the street.  One guy shouted at me 'where do i rent the one wheeled one?'.  Coming back to office one was laying in middle of intersection unattended.  oh no ....

Yeah, they've kind of ruined my beach experience around Venice Beach. Way too many and they all seem out of control. And I still don't understand the mentality of people who just leave them in the middle of trails, streets, etc.

• Like 1

There's usually a learning curve about where to put them. Then there's the vandalism curve, in trees, in lakes, etc. Then city restrictions and permits come last. Finally, the dust settles with potential acceptance. Give it about 6 months.

• Like 1

We have something similar with Limebikes and Ofo bikes being parked on sidewalks.

The solution, of course, is to find the nearest available car parking spot, and park the bicycle there. This is what I do.

The automobile has become so ingrained in our car-centric society that we do not realize the absurdity of the infrastructure that supports them

Consider:

--Dockless autos park themselves wherever they want.

--Most roads are entirely devoted to autos. Pedestrians and bicyclists fight for the sidewalk scraps.

--Autos kill and injure people to the tune of 35,000 Americans per year. Scooters and bicycles very very rarely. Maybe 1-2 in NYC per year.

--The strong link between small particles emitted by autos and diabetes (and hence obesity).

The extreme cost associated with the auto dwarfs anything Bird/Limebike/Ofo do. It's...perverse. Obscene. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

We have something similar with Limebikes and Ofo bikes being parked on sidewalks.

The solution, of course, is to find the nearest available car parking spot, and park the bicycle there. This is what I do.

The automobile has become so ingrained in our car-centric society that we do not realize the absurdity of the infrastructure that supports them

Consider:

--Dockless autos park themselves wherever they want.

--Most roads are entirely devoted to autos. Pedestrians and bicyclists fight for the sidewalk scraps.

--Autos kill and injure people to the tune of 35,000 Americans per year. Scooters and bicycles very very rarely. Maybe 1-2 in NYC per year.

--The strong link between small particles emitted by autos and diabetes (and hence obesity).

The extreme cost associated with the auto dwarfs anything Bird/Limebike/Ofo do. It's...perverse. Obscene. 

I would like to see QR stickers on the rentals that automatically launch an app/website for reporting where the vehicles are getting dumped. (Obviously,  too many bad reports and you get banned from the service.)

https://www.wral.com/some-feathers-ruffled-as-bird-scooters-land-in-raleigh-/17691785/

From what i read here it appears the city was unaware of the bird arrival/invasion and will react instead of plan for this arguably significant transportation impact.  

They are banned in Denver.  Interesting.  $1 to access and 15 cents a minute in our market.  Not sure if that is universal.  2 billion dollar company.  Wow!

I'm all for innovation, cool, hip stuff and all but they better not encroach on my unfettered EUC riding experience around town!  ? I joke but i will be anxiously awaiting 'Raleigh's plan'.

So how is it that in the USA, no pedestrian has tripped over one of these scooters abandoned on the sidewalk and then sued the company?

Surely litigation would sharpen up the rules?

4 hours ago, Holt said:

https://www.wral.com/some-feathers-ruffled-as-bird-scooters-land-in-raleigh-/17691785/

From what i read here it appears the city was unaware of the bird arrival/invasion and will react instead of plan for this arguably significant transportation impact.  

They are banned in Denver.  Interesting.  $1 to access and 15 cents a minute in our market.  Not sure if that is universal.  2 billion dollar company.  Wow!

I'm all for innovation, cool, hip stuff and all but they better not encroach on my unfettered EUC riding experience around town!  ? I joke but i will be anxiously awaiting 'Raleigh's plan'.

This is exactly what happened in Santa Monica, CA and the Bay Area. The companies without letting city officials know, suddenly drop a bunch of these things all over town overnight. The public always has mixed responses. Some love them, some hate that riders leave them all over the place, driveways, middle of sidewalks. Vandals respond by destroying them and looking for parts. Then the city responds with the only way they can immediately, citing riders for no helmets and riding on sidewalks. Bird and Lime send free ($1) helmets to riders and works with the city. Same pattern over and over. Apparently, they are doing something right since UBER and LYFT are investing in this market. 

But yes, right now laws on EUCs are so murky, I'd hate to be bunched in with the reckless group whoever they might be.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I still don't understand the mentality of people who just leave them in the middle of trails, street.

OK. so you own a store downtown and these Idiots keep dropping these stupid things off in front or your store. People trip over them. They lean them against the glass. One good toss and it is the cities problem.  That is what happen to my bike when I was 10 years old.

Edited by RockyTop
Was not finished

This is silly moaning about LimeBike and Bird.

--No one has died from a Bird scooter. I believe just one person died on a LimeBike when he fell over (according to the truck driver) and went under the rear wheels of a truck. Nothing to do with the truck making a right-hand turn. Nope, nothing at all.

--You cannot tell me helmetless riders are dangerous to others. How does that even work?

--Has a Bird scooter really blocked access? I mean, it is smaller than a step. Is it possible most people cannot step over such a thing?

--Handicap people need to be fed feet-first to a wood chipper anyway.

You guys are moaning about LimeBike and Bird without understanding that for each rider on one of those that is one less car + driver in that same area. It's obscene; this is like losing a dollar bill out of your pocket and your bank information at the same time. The 99% of your problem comes from an auto ramming you and killing or injuring you, not from these itty bitty scooters.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

--No one has died from a Bird scooter. I believe just one person died on a LimeBike when he fell over (according to the truck driver) and went under the rear wheels of a truck. Nothing to do with the truck making a right-hand turn. Nope, nothing at all.

--You cannot tell me helmetless riders are dangerous to others. How does that even work?

--Has a Bird scooter really blocked access? I mean, it is smaller than a step. Is it possible most people cannot step over such a thing?

You guys are moaning about LimeBike and Bird without understanding that for each rider on one of those that is one less car + driver in that same area. It's obscene; this is like losing a dollar bill out of your pocket and your bank information at the same time. The 99% of your problem comes from an auto ramming you and killing or injuring you, not from these itty bitty scooters.

When I'm riding on a beach path and have to get off of my EUC because someone decided to dump their Bird scooter crossways on the path, yeah,  I'm moaning about it. These people are inconsiderate *&!#)^$'s 

9 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Wow !! ,Wow !!,Wow!!  Moaning is what We do best. This is a social network!! That’s what we do!!      Aaaaaaand that is what YOU are doing too!!!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

When I'm riding on a beach path and have to get off of my EUC because someone decided to dump their Bird scooter crossways on the path, yeah,  I'm moaning about it. These people are inconsiderate *&!#)^$'s 

But aren't your interactions with drivers (regardless if you're driving or riding) far more often and far more negative than these little scooters?

A Bird scooter is a minor annoyance while an auto could hurt or kill you, with roads that are entirely dedicated to the auto at the cost of pedestrians and bicyclists.

• Like 1

I’m concerned w a reactionary government ordinance/law that will negatively impact my ability to be awesome on my EUC due to lack of planning on Bird and the city.

Whats up w the wood chipper?  

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

But aren't your interactions with drivers (regardless if you're driving or riding) far more often and far more negative than these little scooters?

A Bird scooter is a minor annoyance while an auto could hurt or kill you, with roads that are entirely dedicated to the auto at the cost of pedestrians and bicyclists.

I rarely ride among cars. It's fortunate that in California we have hundreds (probably thousands) of miles of bike paths and hundreds of miles of trails. When I ride in town our sidewalks are nice and big.

So it's probably a wash. But even if it wasn't, that doesn't excuse the inconsideration of other people and their scooters.

I actually like the e-scooter movement. I think it's great alternative to a citibike. Speaking of which, I think citibike knows whats up, they recently lowered their prices in Los Angeles. Seriously, if you needed to go a few miles and there was a citibike and an escooter sitting next to each other, one you have to pedal and drop it off in a designated bike port, and the other you can show up sweat free, drop it off where ever you want, AND pay less, which one would you choose??? I still don't get how you can force escooter riders to wear a helmet and citibike (city owned) riders can go helmet free. 

Of course, it's disrespectful riders that annoy me. Complaints are they leave them everywhere. In the middle of a sidewalk, bike path, or even in driveways where drivers have to get out and move it.

I have to wonder about abandoned property laws. If I left my personal bicycle unlocked sitting in the middle of a public park, how long does it have to be there before it's considered abandoned property? I can't expect to show up a week later and take it back from the homeless person who is now riding it around. But for some reason, these services still own their scooters even though they have been "abandoned" all over the city. 

• Like 1

Overall, I think the new e-scooters are good. However, downtown I can definitely see some people not watching where they are going or being inconsiderate in leaving their scooters in the middle of the sidewalk. I think that all should come down to personal responsibility. I sure hope it doesn't start any kind of restrictions on riding these kind of things.

It is a weird thing to see these things laying around all over the place. At least they're getting used, I suppose. And, still too big for me, personally, to want to carry something like this around. EUC's are still the way to go.

Edited by Circuitmage
  • Like 1

I think it just takes time and for everyone to be courteous. Here in Seattle, we have had multiple bike share programs, these bikes ended up everywhere. I see some that are tossed into the water, some that get ran over, some that get hijacked by the local transients. But after a few years, people that pass by a bike that is damaged report it on the app, and bikes that are in the way get moved, bikes that fall down get picked up.

I think the city needs more bike 'parking' though. And with the influx of bikes available, we no longer have a huge bike theft problem as before, since people are simply cutting off the lock for the rental bikes.

The only time they ever really bother me is when I see it in the same spot for weeks and it hasn't moved because its damaged. They need more support staff to manage these things.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Michael Vu said:

Bum-pity Bump.

Attended my cities public meeting about the dockless vehicles (both scooters and bikes) today. Got a lot of attention like usual and had positive talks with city leaders about good safe usage of all Personal Electric Vehicles. My KS-18L also made the news very briefly. Good thing it didn't lock up on camera while I was trolley-ing it. ?

https://www.kens5.com/video/news/local/dockless-scooters-causing-sa-problems/273-8206360

My EUC shows up at 1:23.

Wow, someone actually bought one of those folding scooters. Those look so lame though. And they only go like 10 mph or something like that. I would have kept the car if I were him.

• Upvote 1

On 7/11/2018 at 11:03 AM, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, they've kind of ruined my beach experience around Venice Beach. Way too many and they all seem out of control. And I still don't understand the mentality of people who just leave them in the middle of trails, streets, etc.

A surprisingly entertaining night ride along that beach is to just push all the abandoned scooters off the bike path and see how many there are obstructing at least one lane. My record's 7 so far.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mimir said:

A surprisingly entertaining night ride along that beach is to just push all the abandoned scooters off the bike path and see how many there are obstructing at least one lane. My record's 7 so far.

All those scooters have just about ruined my riding from Venice Beach to Santa Monica :furious:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

All those scooters have just about ruined my riding from Venice Beach to Santa Monica :furious:

Jason is literally selling a boat load of them. Just ask him to stop selling scooters in that region.  ?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

All those scooters have just about ruined my riding from Venice Beach to Santa Monica

And now ....vertical video proliferation on YouTube looks to challenge the EUC forum stance on the subject

https://www.neowin.net/news/youtube-will-now-play-vertical-videos-on-desktop-without-borders

• Like 2