Rehab1´s accident(s)

Rehab1

55 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Yes @Smoother is correct that helmet manufacturers ( Bell in my case) do not recommend painting them. Anyone want a nice pristine black helmet? 

I really think that this is a case of manufacturers not wanting their product messed with. They don't want people disassembling their products, fixing them, etc.

Wake up people! You are in control. Use common sense.

In this particular case, the solvents in spray paints dissipate quite rapidly and after the paint is cured, it's inactive and can't interact with the plastic in the helmet.

Paint away @Rehab1, although I'm pretty sure I'm preaching to the choir with you :D

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

https://www.helmets.org/paint.htm

Personally, I will not be spraying a helmet, especially a vented EPS foam one.

I don't trust big corporate in general but I feel there is enough science to suggest helmet spraying isn't an path I want to take with the thing protecting my brain.

Thank god, we were all worried about what your decision would be :D

PS - Get well soon, Rehab :)

Edited by kasenutty
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

https://www.helmets.org/paint.htm

Personally, I will not be spraying a helmet, especially a vented EPS foam one.

I don't trust big corporate in general but I feel there is enough science to suggest helmet spraying isn't an path I want to take with the thing protecting my brain.

I read that link. Feels a bit like fear mongering to me. But that's just me.

My assumption is that if a person is painting their helmet then they are properly masking it such that the foam and insides are protected.

Everyone finds their own comfort level.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LanghamP said:

@Rehab1, not sure if you're keeping your helmet but might want to check for compressed styrofoam. My skateboard helmet has been compressed on one side even though I don't recall crashing there.

Thanks! I looked inside and the foam appears to be non-compressed throughout. 

Edited by Rehab1

5 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

You can prove this to yourself by putting a chunk of foam in a small amount of gasoline. The resultant goo makes are really strong adhesive.

Styrofoam + gasoline ==> napalm basically, its super flammable and sticks to everything.

My bike helmet is basically an extremely thin plastic laminate over styrofoam so I don't think I would paint it for fear of dissolving the styrofoam. Motorcycle helmets are much thicker plastic so maybe they deal with paint better. Who knows though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Looks like you are the first patient in the lineup. it is always best to be the first patient. Everybody is awake and alert and it will be  less likely for your case to be bumped by an emergency and then you won’t be waiting too long for your surgery to start. Best of luck to you! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! It means the world to me!!!! Unfortunately the fractures were much worse than what the physician expected. I just got home. I can only emphasize: Please be careful!

Surgery of humerus

Surgery of humerus

Surgery of humerus

Surgery of humerus

Wow, those are some images. I have to admit this is scary stuff, to see what our wheels can do to us. Is some form of this in all of our futures. Just a matter of time. Maybe today, tomorrow, or 3-years from now?

If only these wheels weren't so damn fun! What are we to do :cry2:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Whoa :blink: that resembles my bird house project from Industrial Arts in grade 7.  When you got power tools you find yourself no shortage of screws or lack of a sale at Home Depot!  :innocent1:  I should have gone into orthopedic surgery!  Glad to see they were able to put things back together. I don't think I'll be going anywhere near 50 kph in the far future...

Or ~30-kph, the speed at which@Rehab1 crashed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! It means the world to me!!!! Unfortunately the fractures were much worse than what the physician expected. I just got home. I can only emphasize: Please be careful!

@Rehab1hope the surgery went well even though it was complex, wish you the fastest recovery!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Whoa :blink: that resembles my bird house project from Industrial Arts in grade 7.  When you got power tools you find yourself no shortage of screws or lack of a sale at Home Depot!  :innocent1:  I should have gone into orthopedic surgery!  

That put a smile on my face! :D

• Like 3

Good to see you did well. Definitely a complicated fracture but your ortho did an amazing job putting you back together. The next several months of recuperation and physical rehabilitation will be tough but hang in there. i will be rooting for your quick recovery.