18l presale specs

outcast00096

13 minutes ago, outcast00096 said:

Can we talk about the "removable battery" part? What in the heck? Technically all batteries are removable but are we talking 14b removable?

Forget that...probably chinese—english translations faults....most probably „rechargeable“ :-)

14 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Been pushing for this, agree 100km is more than adequate to demonstrate competency on the Wheel. 90% of 18L purchases are going to be made by owners of other models, with quite a bit of experience

@Jason McNeil please push for 1600wh option, otherwise msuper v3s+ owners most likely won't bother with KS18L.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Adel said:

@Jason McNeil please push for 1600wh option, otherwise msuper v3s+ owners most likely won't bother with KS18L.

You won’t be able to fit a 1600wh battery in that shell.  They would have to redesign the shell.  I’m pretty sure that > 90% of the people wouldn’t even use the added capacity of 1600wh battery. Also, the weight of a 1600wh battery would be much heavier. 

If you want a 1600wh battery, get the KS18S. 

Another advantage to 1600: It is much (much!) easier to keep it charged in that ideal 30%-80% battery range.  Improving battery life.  And also avoiding the speed limiting which happens when remaining charge gets low.

• Like 3

Having owned (still own, actually) a tiny battery wheel (340Wh) I know first hand the dangers of voltage sag while riding. While I may never own a 1600Wh wheel, I defend the democratic principle of being allowed to buy a 1600Wh wheel; especially in these larger, more serious wheels.

And as for the 18s option.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I don't like the look of that thing.  So it would never be on my wish list.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kael said:

Time for a strawpoll? I’d bet there is a 70/30 split in favour of the 1036WHr version, knowing full well that a high capacity version is there if you need it in the 18S. 

What is that argument? i dont get it...

Nobody says it has to be ONLY a 1036 or ONLY a 1600wh....its that easy to let the buyer choose! Even if the split is 70/30, to whatever kind of Version, KS will or might loose the other 30% if they dont give the option to choose! So thats just a stupid decision!

If KS doesnt give the option to choose a 1600wh Version, they also just dont stay competitive to GW....

And , again, buying the 18S is absolutly no argument! That 18S is an 67Volt 70cm high wheel wheel without trolley, which is a „slightly“ difference to a 18L 84Volt wheel with trolley,with smaller dimensions, a much more powerfull motor etc etc. You could also say, „stay on your 340wh Ninebot and charge it 5 times, there you have your 1600wh“ ....or i could bring the argument, we dont need an 18L at all then....as you allready can choose a low capacity 18S with 840wh.! Sounds stupid? I think so!

Edited by KingSong69
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

What is that argument? i dont get it...

Nobody says it has to be ONLY a 1036 or ONLY a 1600wh....its that easy to let the buyer choose! Even if the split is 70/30, to whatever kind of Version, KS will or might loose the other 30% if they dont give the option to choose! So thats just a stupid decision!

If KS doesnt give the option to choose a 1600wh Version, they also just dont stay competitive to GW....

And , again, buying the 18S is absolutly no argument! That 18S is an 67Volt 70cm high wheel wheel without trolley, which is a „slightly“ difference to a 18L 84Volt wheel with trolley,with smaller dimensions, a much more powerfull motor etc etc. You could also say, „stay on your 340wh Ninebot and charge it 5 times, there you have your 1600wh“ ....or i could bring the argument, we dont need an 18L at all then....as you allready can choose a low capacity 18S with 840wh.! Sounds stupid? I think so!

Oh I agree absolutely, giving consumers choice is always a positive. However, there are limitations to consider, like the available physical space.

It's seems clear that a 1600Wh version of an 18L would need a redesign, quite possibly additional cooling, too.. Maybe there will be a high capacity version in the future, but I don't think it would be called the 18L. Maybe 18XL with a bigger shell. :P

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kael said:

It's seems clear that a 1600Wh version of an 18L would need a redesign, quite possibly additional cooling, too.. Maybe there will be a high capacity version in the future, but I don't think it would be called the 18L. Maybe 18XL with a bigger shell. :P

The „redesign“ would have to be a another outer shell like on the 14s compared to the 14d.. .which is a 3dollar plastik part, a little widerthan the original one. Exactly 1,2 cm wider on each side on a place of 20x20cm to be concrete! ...see 14s, again! It would be that cheap as the Ks wheel have an outer shell that only need to be changed, and not the complete wheel design.....

I dont know why this would need „aditional cooling“, as only the board is fan cooled,(which sits under the handle) and not the batterys(on no wheel whatsoever the batterys are cooled) put perhaps you enlighten us with your knowledge? ;-)

Edited by KingSong69
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, abinder3 said:

You won’t be able to fit a 1600wh battery in that shell.  They would have to redesign the shell.  I’m pretty sure that > 90% of the people wouldn’t even use the added capacity of 1600wh battery. Also, the weight of a 1600wh battery would be much heavier. 

If you want a 1600wh battery, get the KS18S. 

Sorry but KS18S is not an option because of very tall form factor. Gotway already shown how to put 1600wh  in compact form factor, so why not KS do the same ? I also happen to own KS16 so not advocating for either brand.

There should be both 1036wh and 1600wh versions of the KS18L and then let the marketplace decide.

If you don't believe people who buy larger wheels want them to be maxed out on battery, just ask @Jason McNeil who sells wheels for living and mainly keeps highest configuration in stock.

This presents dilemma for KS. If they come up with 1600wh KS18L version, they would probably need to discontinue KS18S, which would be correct decision in the end.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, outcast00096 said:

Can we talk about the "removable battery" part? What in the heck? Technically all batteries are removable but are we talking 14b removable?

12 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Forget that...probably chinese—english translations faults....most probably „rechargeable“ :-)

Actually, I think possibly not a language issue... On one of the FB pre-order posts the question was asked, "Are the removable batteries easy to change?"

And the from King Song, "Yes, we would take video to show it ;)"

So, does that mean then that there is the option for a 2072Wh range?

Edited by The Fat Unicyclist

58 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Actually, I think possibly not a language issue... On one of the FB pre-order posts the question was asked, "Are the removable batteries easy to change?"

And the from King Song, "Yes, we would take video to show it ;)"

So, does that mean then that there is the option for a 2072Wh range?

Hmmh,

perhaps they changed their design a little bit, so that you can take off the outer shells very easy. 

If really, yeah, then it would be no problem to carry another 1036wh around...about 4-4,5kg . I am personally more a fan of having them directly in the trolley equipped wheel, instead of carrying them on my backpack....

Edited by KingSong69
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Hmmh,

perhaps they changed their design a little bit, so that you can take off the outer shells very easy. 

If really, yeah, then it would be no problem to carry another 1036wh around...about 4-4,5kg . I am personally more a fan of having them directly in the trolley equipped wheel, instead of carrying them on my backpack....

I agree. But then thinking about it...

• If you know you won't be needing the extra range (say to commute to work) then you can save the weight - which is important for me. 
  • You can also cycle the battery packs around. 
  • And is there such a thing as a remote charger? Charging the battery out of the wheel - and letting me keep riding at the same time. 
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:
  • And is there such a thing as a remote charger? Charging the battery out of the wheel - and letting me keep riding at the same time. 

A connector between the normal charger and the battery should be enough. (As it is in the wheels - two connectors and two cables).

With the "new" interconnection between the two packs (?since the S series?) there seems to be some "syncronisation between them. There is maybe just some special connection/disconnection sequence to be followed so that the packs cannot go up in smoke if one is "offline" due to some cell/bms problems. But this should be shown in the abovementioned "battery swap" video. ... Or much better would be handling this by some BMS logic, so that nothing can happen in whichever sequence and state the packs are reconnected!

Btw: are there information available about this new battery pack interconnection?

7 minutes ago, Chriull said:

A connector between the normal charger and the battery should be enough. (As it is in the wheels - two connectors and two cables).

With the "new" interconnection between the two packs (?since the S series?) there seems to be some "syncronisation between them. There is maybe just some special connection/disconnection sequence to be followed so that the packs cannot go up in smoke if one is "offline" due to some cell/bms problems. But this should be shown in the abovementioned "battery swap" video. ... Or much better would be handling this by some BMS logic, so that nothing can happen in whichever sequence and state the packs are reconnected!

Btw: are there information available about this new battery pack interconnection?

Thanks for that. 

I have no other information to share at this time - but will post as l hear more (unless someone else beats me to it). 

Interesting on a possible “ quick change battery “ I’d prefer ‘two’ 1036’s installed ...I’m to used to my “rangey”Monster but I suppose if you could throw one in your backpack then after using it up leave your low batt charging somewhere while using the fresh one then fly around town then swap out again to get you back wherever ..I’m an all day nut how heavy are those batt packs carry two extra maybe is an option ..3100wh hmm

• Upvote 1

On 1/14/2018 at 2:03 PM, Jason McNeil said:

Nearly everything in that spec sheet is wrong, even the image on the right is completely distorted. Info I was told earlier in the week is that the motor will be 2000W, 1020Wh, 84v, not sure on the speed yet, but I believe 45kph is a safe bet.

@Jason McNeil When will preordering start for the KS18L? i have looked at your Ewheels website and have found  no info yet. 

Edited by Ethereal
  • Upvote 2

Interesting that people are saying the 18L is a 84v wheel.  If all the specs that I’ve been seeing are true, then it won’t be a 84v wheel.  Every spec that I’ve seen say the charger for it has 84v output.  That isn’t the necessary voltage for an 84v wheel. 

12 hours ago, abinder3 said:

Interesting that people are saying the 18L is a 84v wheel.  If all the specs that I’ve been seeing are true, then it won’t be a 84v wheel.  Every spec that I’ve seen say the charger for it has 84v output.  That isn’t the necessary voltage for an 84v wheel. 

@abinder3I am wondering, it would be what then? And what voltage has the charger for a 84v wheel? (84 is neither divisible by 3.6 nor by 3.7 without remainder.)

Edited by Mono

On 1/14/2018 at 11:03 AM, Jason McNeil said:

Nearly everything in that spec sheet is wrong, even the image on the right is completely distorted. Info I was told earlier in the week is that the motor will be 2000W, 1020Wh, 84v, not sure on the speed yet, but I believe 45kph is a safe bet.

Hi @Jason McNeil, two questions; if the motor is 2000w and it's 84v, why does it have the same or lower speed than my K18S which is 1600w motor, 67v? Second, when can we expect to see preorders available and how much? I'm guessing in the 1500usd ballpark or 1800? Thanks!

4 hours ago, Mono said:

I am wondering, it would be what then? And what voltage has the charger for a 84v wheel? (84 is neither divisible by 3.6 nor by 3.7 without remainder.)

20cells in series * 4.2V/cellAtFullCharge = 84V same as all 84V EUCs

• Like 2