THE HELMET THREAD

2 hours ago, Phi1osopher said:

I dropped the bomb on a Troy Lee D4 Carbon full faced helmet.  It's a big investment, but it is sexy as hell, light weight, has excellent ventelation, AND it is one of the safest downhill MTB helmet on the market.  Plus on hot Texas summer days I can imagine wearing it on my motorcycle when it's too hot for anything else.

https://www.amazon.com/Troy-Lee-Designs-Carbon-Helmet/dp/B0894151N8

61-bi1h4vbL._AC_SL1221_.jpg

Sweet. I have been eyeing the D4 for quite a while but am now considering the Stage instead instead due to price and ventilation. I will be very interested to read more about your experiences with this helmet in the hot Texas summers. The D4 D3 carbon went on sale last year at Bikecloset between $250-$300, so I'm keeping an eye out for any sales later in the year.

Edited by litewave

Greetings dear EUC riders!

After some reading I've bought Fox proframe helmet. It is great ... But my Jabra tws earbuds doesn't fit under it.. :(

To all owners of this great helmet - How you are solving this?

thanks!

1 hour ago, fntms_slowdown said:

Looks good but 1.6kgs is a little heavy...

Its a DOT motorcycle helmet which in general, means its almost always likely to be on the heavier side & less cooling as well if that matters. If you want light FF, then downhill MTB are the best best.

If $$$ isn't an issue & lightweight is a must, I'd start looking for carbon fiber MX stuff. Some of 'em are slightly over 1kg while being at least ECE rated. Snell, ECE & DOT rated helmets will almost always provide greater safety than any bike helmet safety certifications.

Just the nature of the beast so it will always boil down to how much you wanna protect your noggins & to a lesser extent, how much are you willing to spend.

For the safety certifications you are right with motorcycle helmets. They offer the best protection in the majority of countries that manufacture them. Their weight is logically around 1.5 kg. The materials produced today reduce the weight our parents carried. For ventilation we find pleasant shapes. Design was not an argument on the first helmets, okay, but in 2021 there are creations, really.

I forgot my relevant point of view: why want to wear a helmet that does not protect? A light thing that ventilates well is paper, foldable, cold, creative. :rolleyes:

12 hours ago, Scottie888 said:

Its a DOT motorcycle helmet which in general, means its almost always likely to be on the heavier side & less cooling as well if that matters. If you want light FF, then downhill MTB are the best best.

If $$$ isn't an issue & lightweight is a must, I'd start looking for carbon fiber MX stuff. Some of 'em are slightly over 1kg while being at least ECE rated. Snell, ECE & DOT rated helmets will almost always provide greater safety than any bike helmet safety certifications.

Just the nature of the beast so it will always boil down to how much you wanna protect your noggins & to a lesser extent, how much are you willing to spend.

Like you write this time I didn't look at the money.  

Bought this one from Klim. 

3900-000_Loko%20Vivid%20Sage_01.jpeg?res

This is one of the lightest mc helmets around and with wide view visor. Many good features but pricy.

https://www.klim.com/Krios-Pro-Helmet-ECE-3900-000

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Unventor said:

I also have that same helmet, and love it on my KTM motorcycle as well in cooler weather on the 'Wheel, but found it is too hot for some of the slower, more technical trail riding I'm doing...  When its 90+ degrees out, and I am panting and gasping for breath working through a rock garden on my s18, I thought the Krios was going to kill me!  

• Like 1

I haven't read the thread in its entirety so I don't know if Steelbird helmets have been mentioned but I bought one of these on ebay and have been well impressed with it :-

Steelbird helmet.

It's a budget helmet but seems strong enough for the speeds that most EUC riders are likely to need.

Despite coming all the way from India it arrived in about a week.

7 hours ago, Unventor said:

Like you write this time I didn't look at the money.  

This is one of the lightest mc helmets around and with wide view visor. Many good features but pricy.

https://www.klim.com/Krios-Pro-Helmet-ECE-3900-000

Wow! More like pricey2!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon Stern said:

Wow! More like pricey2!

I have bought several helmets over the few years I been riding EUC. For different reasons I always compromise. I looked at this for like 1 year before hitting buy button. This one was a discontinued colour theme so managed to get a discount. But it was still 670€or 815$ or 6800sek(my local currency).

I am riding faster than before and a crash at 50kmh is not going down well if it is an instans cutout. My question to my self has been how would I far if this should happen? And what would the long term and financial impact be? At that point I had a hard time putting a price of what my head is worth, but that any injury would be very costly and life changing most likely. 

I don't like to have mtb airvents helmets as a crash off road mean a root or stick or mountial/rock edge could find its way through these vents. Maybe unlikely but we each do what we are comfortable with. 

Once I bought this and used it, I have no regrets about what I chose to do. Some find it as overkill, I don't. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, varamontelo said:

why want to wear a helmet that does not protect? A light thing that ventilates well is paper, foldable, cold, creative. :rolleyes:

I don't disagree but it would depend on the helmet, type & activity in question. Far's cycling lids, as another post as mentioned, its well proven for the sport & activity its designed for. Even the ubiquitous 1/2 shell cycling helmet works & works very well as intended. FWIW some road cyclist aren't much (if any) slower than alot of us.

Infact given the choice, I'll take a 1/2 shell lid with elbow&knee pads over a FF (MTB, MX or whatever) without the pads. The nature of EUC wipes almost always involve the hands, elbows & forearms so its likely we'd hit the sides or back of our heads rather than a full on front face. Not to say it won't but its more likely otherwise.

But ofcos, IMO more safety is always better than less. Its up to each & everyone to determine what is adequate.

2 hours ago, Unventor said:

Once I bought this and used it, I have no regrets about what I chose to do. Some find it as overkill, I don't. 

Absolutely. The Klim Krios is a great adventure helmet. While the MTB boyz have to work for their sport, we EUC'ers don't or at least not close to as much so heat dissipation isn't as critical. Also some of us live in temperate climes where cool to cold weather outnumber full on summer heat & by a large margin.

FWIW I too snagged a Klim F5 carbon on sale. Though its a svelte 1.2kg, IMO & IME helmet weight (+/- 0.5kg) doesn't make much difference. Again its not like we're huffin & puffin in exertion when riding. Actually I like my 1.5kg Schuberth C3pro modular motorcycle lid the best.  I love the flip up for extra cooling & ability to eat/drink or even talk to ppl without removing the helmet. I wear it anytime its <10c

3 hours ago, Unventor said:

I don't like to have mtb airvents helmets as a crash off road mean a root or stick or mountial/rock edge could find its way through these vents. Maybe unlikely but we each do what we are comfortable with.

In case someone reads that and worries about the objects poking thru mtb vents in a crash - well, hakuna matata, "never seen that happen in over 20 years of MTB". I'm not saying it's impossible either but there's plenty of mountainbike forums on-line for a search.

13 hours ago, null said:

MTB and DH helmets have served us well, no need to spread FUD about them..

I can testify to that......

14 minutes ago, Surfling said:

In case someone reads that and worries about the objects poking thru mtb vents in a crash - well, hakuna matata, "never seen that happen in over 20 years of MTB". I'm not saying it's impossible either but there's plenty of mountainbike forums on-line for a search.

I hate to differ but such a scenario do & does happen (as witnessed in the vid). Sure perhaps there's only a 1% chance it might happen & even if it does happen, there's no proof that a MTB FF won't perform similarly. However if I do happen to be in the 1% of the unlucky, I know which type of helmet I wanna be wearing. YMMV ofcos

Action in the vid happens ~30s & damage to helmets is ~2.40s. Notice the mx rider isn't going much faster nor riding a trail that an MTB/eMTB can't or won't be traversing. Indeed I've seen much faster speeds & deadlier terrain on MTB rides. Suit up or not, decide for yourselves. Don't allow others to influence what happens to your own body. IMO ofcos

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Surfling said:

Ok, guy, i got your point.....

Each person can make their own decisions. I am not saying what others should do. But with higher speeds and pushing where I ride made me rethink what gear I need.

This started with me getting a gore-tex mc suit so I could ride in rain better without being soaked. Wish the V11 and suspension, I ride faster because I don't have same impact on bumps and potholes. So like I write above this decision was very easy for me.

@ScoooterB89I full agree that gear should make sense and it is only any good if you wear it. That was partly why I ride 99.7% in my mc suit. I have 2 bike 1/2 shell helmets. I use them for slow ride for very short distance like apartment to garage (140m) or picking up lunch at work, typical less than 400m away from work.

As of your hands are exposed I have practiced to ride with gloves instead of wrist guards. That is partly of an crash I had some time ago. I rather have a wrist incident than another impact that put a pop out force on my shoulder. Btw the mc jacket have shoulder impact protection too, but not for transmission force from hands, up the arms into the shoulder. Sometimes I use wrist guards still. 

@Surfling I wear gear not because I crash, but because of the risk of crashing. So even small % is what risk I consider and if that happens what would be the consequences of an accidents. It is not the same nothing cannot happen still. Just look at the former F1 driver Michael Schumacher. A freak accident with life changing impact.

17 hours ago, Unventor said:

Each person can make their own decisions. I am not saying what others should do. But with higher speeds and pushing where I ride made me rethink what gear I need.

This started with me getting a gore-tex mc suit so I could ride in rain better without being soaked. Wish the V11 and suspension, I ride faster because I don't have same impact on bumps and potholes. So like I write above this decision was very easy for me.

@ScoooterB89I full agree that gear should make sense and it is only any good if you wear it. That was partly why I ride 99.7% in my mc suit. I have 2 bike 1/2 shell helmets. I use them for slow ride for very short distance like apartment to garage (140m) or picking up lunch at work, typical less than 400m away from work.

As of your hands are exposed I have practiced to ride with gloves instead of wrist guards. That is partly of an crash I had some time ago. I rather have a wrist incident than another impact that put a pop out force on my shoulder. Btw the mc jacket have shoulder impact protection too, but not for transmission force from hands, up the arms into the shoulder. Sometimes I use wrist guards still. 

@Surfling I wear gear not because I crash, but because of the risk of crashing. So even small % is what risk I consider and if that happens what would be the consequences of an accidents. It is not the same nothing cannot happen still. Just look at the former F1 driver Michael Schumacher. A freak accident with life changing impact.

100% correct! It only takes a fraction of a second, like I painfully found out, to crash hard on an EUC. 

And there's another thing to take into account. If there are to many serious accidents and injuries with euc riders, one thing is surely to happen: the laws will change on this sport and to the worst! Have no doubts about that. This is something new, to many citizens.... quite bizarre, and if there's a lot of negative hype, we'll have more and more restrictions. 

So gearing up and avoiding serious injury, will actually protect the sport's awareness and notoriety. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A lesson I've learned from motorcycle riding is to NOT wear black helmets. I know a lot of people (across numerous vehicle platforms) do this and I know why they do it. Black is almost always the wrong color, especially at night. You can offset this with a full ANSI vest but the best advice is to not wear black helmets. Your head is a nice big visible area at the top of your body, by failing to use colors that are much more readily seen, you are depriving yourself of a very significant visual aid.

In addition, the tiny bright lights that some people use are not as good as they like to think that they are. A bright pinprick of light in a sea of lights is almost a throwaway gesture. This is even more true in climate conditions that impair visibility because of light reflecting off of water.

Light tones of two color schemes is the best but if you want to go inexpensive a plain old white helmet is the default choice.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Roadpower said:

NOT wear black helmets

Hm, thanks. I was thinking to paint my helmet in same style as my painted EUC, but wasn't sure, and now there is a reason to do it.

Something like this:

Polish_20210613_052832127.thumb.jpg.c409ec13bd5d5b219122b5a97f03c3ff.jpg

Edited by Oleg Artene
Added helmet paint style draft image
  • Like 2