Mango

4 hours ago, Cerbera said:

I find this thinking very interesting, a bit 'risky biscuits', and rather different from my own, which is not a criticism in itself ! As I understood it, it was the 'being on the road' that was the main problem the police had with it, and the primary factor involved in all those scooters and other PEVs in London being confiscated and burned ! I actually go to great pains to make sure police don't see me on any road, and ONLY on the pavement, where they will see I am politely deferring to the few pedestrians I meet, and therefore shouldn't be a problem they feel a pressing need to do anything about !

Now, that strategy has worked for me for nearly 8 years in my mid-size town, but of course the pavements here are nothing like as populated as they are in London, so perhaps your strategy there is preferable...

They will definitely stop me if I ride on the pavement though the punishment is actually less than for riding on the road (I don't think they add points to your license). The pavements are fairly busy with people and dogs on leads, tree branches mean I'd be continually ducking to get under them and sometimes it's difficult to see what's going to emerge from a driveway. There's also the issue of having to cross over a road every 100 meters which is a danger I don't have if I'm actually on the road. 

4 hours ago, Dosingpsychedelics said:

Are electric bikes allowed on the road or regular bicycles ? A wheel is no different than an electric bike and I’d argue that to the court .when I see police in my town on my wheel I usually pass them a couple times to make sure they seen me and with ever increasing speed and just wave ….I haven’t had any problems yet 🤣

Over here regular bicycles and bicycles with power assist are allowed on the roads. Those with throttles that mean you don't need to pedal are illegal. There's also a limit to the speed the "assist" can be given (16mph). If you end up in court then you can argue all you like but the magistrate will still find you guilty. The laws in the UK are different to those in the US and often to various countries in Europe (I believe it's legal to ride an EUC in France). 

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Tawpie said:

too late for me.

But I do have to say… it would be a welcome surprise if IM were to update the look and guts of something like the V10F, or a refresh of the V11 with a more capable suspension (just don't name it Columbia, please). Neither the V12 or the V13 offer me anything I can use, 'over investment' is a good term. $2k is a chunk of change but it's workable. When we're at $4.5k and might should think about getting a trailer to haul it around—a lot of the shine comes off.

The weight of this wheel simply rules it out for a lot of use cases and I think that's likely to be its Achilles heel.  I would have preferred a bit less range and keeping the weight down at the 35kg sweet spot.  That said, for many riders who never have to lift their wheel, it's a nonissue.  I was one of those not that long ago.  I would roll my wheel out of my first floor garage, ride to work, ride up the elevator and park it at my desk - no lifting ever required.  I recently moved offices however; the new place does not have an elevator and I have to walk up a flight of stairs.  The 35kg Sherman is rough enough to carry up the stairs (although I can trolley it down).  Forget about it with a 50kg V13.  I'll still pick one up for cruising around town, but using it to commute is a non-starter due to the stairs.  

Edit: Just noticed on the eWheels preorder page, apparently Inmotion says the age requirement for the V13 is 16-50, so I guess I won't be getting one after all.  (Bizarre that they would put an age requirement on this thing, especially an upper age requirement.  Is this some sort of Chinese law?)

Edited by 2 Drinks Behind
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mike_bike_kite said:

They will definitely stop me if I ride on the pavement though the punishment is actually less than for riding on the road (I don't think they add points to your license). The pavements are fairly busy with people and dogs on leads, tree branches mean I'd be continually ducking to get under them and sometimes it's difficult to see what's going to emerge from a driveway. There's also the issue of having to cross over a road every 100 meters which is a danger I don't have if I'm actually on the road.

Those are all excellent points. Round here I get ignored by police on pavements - occasionally a car will slow down as they pass, but I don't think I have ever been actually stopped, other than once by a community support officer, who was far more interested in how it worked than trying to stop me doing it. Anyway - thanks for the explanation - good to hear all the opinions and reasons for them...

I wonder if that V13 will be narrow enough that you can get it in the well behind the driver's seat in a car ? The Msuper fits there in my Honda civic a treat, and there is room to spare (hoping the master will fit too), and it's a relatively smaller lift than trying to get it in the boot or onto a seat...

I would worry about a wheel that big and heavy, and with such range breaking down on me in the middle of nowhere - I wonder if it is possible to wheel it unpowered using the trolley handle, but even if it was that's a potentially AWFUL time trying to get it back home unless you have helicopter support !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cerbera said:

I wonder if that V13 will be narrow enough that you can get it in the well behind the driver's seat in a car ?

It looks to bea narrow wheel, from which Inmotion is already known for. But the size is otherwise big, no denying that. The measures were already published in the spec sheet, maybe that helps?

51 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

6'8", wants to ride seated and already has Shermax that they can't sit on—a taller wheel is in order. 240 lbs, wants to go faster than 40 kph up a hill into the wind with some piece of mind, likes the idea of 35 mph for 60 miles… the only recipe is max batteries.

Of course, there's always another way, so I agree that "must" is a bit over dramatic. But we have a size 18 foot that wants to go adventure trekking, should they plan on wearing their size 14 sandals?

Yup you nailed.  Im getting by on shoes that are too small right now.

I put one of those tall leather EUC market seats on my EX and I can ALMOST sit on it.  Sherman is out of the question.  So yeah when I look at the v13 or the Master Pro, I see a wheel that will finally be tall enough to sit on, but also has torque.  

If either of those wheels ends up working out, Ill probably sell my Sherman and EX and get it.  If I could already ride seated though, I wouldn't even consider "upgrading" because I absolutely love everything else about my Sherman and EX.

I am still baffled how some riders just focus of few things as speed.  

If you were to buy a car is speed all you think of too? 

I choose my EUC by many details.  How it feels is very important to me.  Just like my car.  Sometimes however onces need changes.  

In my case I am very happy with my V11 but I could use more range and something that is easier to do maintenance on like tire changes.  

For now the V13 feels like the pendulum svung to far.  The craving for speed is not on my needs.  

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Cerbera said:

I would worry about a wheel that big and heavy, and with such range breaking down on me in the middle of nowhere - I wonder if it is possible to wheel it unpowered using the trolley handle, but even if it was that's a potentially AWFUL time trying to get it back home unless you have helicopter support !

Yes, it's possible to push it unpowered as long as you don't have a flat, at which case you risk damaging the rim. I'm already concerned what I'd do if my V12-HT get flat way from home, as I take 40+ Km trips (one way) and considering building a small foldable trolley I can in worst place flat tired wheel at and push it home or at least to closest transportation point.

Edited by HEC
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

I am still baffled how some riders just focus of few things as speed.

Because otherwise, I won't need to buy a new wheel. Yes, speed will be a mandatory requirement. In the urban setting, I am very happy with my V12 riding in bike lanes, and on bike paths and side streets. I now realize that my V12 is capable of going beyond that. And I have had a little taste of that. So I am curious to explore the potential of riding on roads. To do that properly, a V13 class wheel seems to fit the bill. Mind you, I do expect a learning curve. 

It isn't just the V13, the Master Pro, Abrams, and Monster Pro are in this class as well, and come with their own flavors. 

But because I like how my V12 is built and rides, and the V13 has class leading safety features and margins, it definitely is sitting on the top of my list.

Edited by techyiam

I see wheels like sportbikes 250’s 600’s ,750’s 1000cc then motogp bikes . They all are fun .they all have advantages in certain aspects of riding .some are light weight ,some are better for cornering ,some have insane torque and huge top speeds ..and yes I want to ride them all and would I want to ride a motogp bike?? !you bet your ass I would !after almost 20 years riding r6’s it would be a blast to feel the power of a motogp bike 🥳🤘

5 hours ago, Cerbera said:

I wonder if that V13 will be narrow enough that you can get it in the well behind the driver's seat in a car ? The Msuper fits there in my Honda civic a treat, and there is room to spare (hoping the master will fit too), and it's a relatively smaller lift than trying to get it in the boot or onto a seat...

Yeah I’m getting to the nearest street and using my phone and calling a taxi or uber to drive me back to my car 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chanman said:

I seem to recall a video involving Marty Backe, a Sherman, and a crane. Can't wait for the sequel, might need a bigger crane.

He does seem to have connections. 

He got to this large tall gate late after a long ride, and the gate was closed, and locked. I think most people would find another exit. (Not to say there are any since I am not familiar with this place.) Of course in Marty's grandeur fashion, he called a buddy to come to him with a crank on a truck. And, yup, they used the crank to pick up his euc over this tall gate. The size of this crank can probably pick up a Harley. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

He got to this large tall gate late after a long ride, and the gate was closed, and locked. I think most people would find another exit.

Wasn't the wheel busted? A flat or something?

• Upvote 1

On 8/11/2022 at 10:21 PM, The Brahan Seer said:

This shows the specs broken down, only one snag...

I think this will be the first EUC with 16" motorcycle rim. It might be a good compromise between common 14" rims and 17-18" cruiser rims. Or it could be difficult to find a decent EUC tire. The tire selection for 17" rim would have been much better.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 2 Drinks Behind said:

Just noticed on the eWheels preorder page, apparently Inmotion says the age requirement for the V13 is 16-50, so I guess I won't be getting one after all.  (Bizarre that they would put an age requirement on this thing, especially an upper age requirement.  Is this some sort of Chinese law?)

Liability.  You get injured and over 50 or under 16, they can point to the manual (that you didn't read) and say you rode it at your own risk and use it as one of the many basis of defence if you plan to sue 'em. 

I mean if it doesn't cost anything, but can potentially save you ££££,  why not? 

1 minute ago, onizukagto said:

Liability.  You get injured and over 50 or under 16, they can point to the manual (that you didn't read) and say you rode it at your own risk and use it as one of the many basis of defence if you plan to sue 'em. 

I mean if it doesn't cost anything, but can potentially save you ££££,  why not? 

Its just as bizarre as the fact that most wheels sold today are able to go much more than 25 kph - but the manual always "recommends" that safe speed is max 25 :facepalm:, and "your own risk" - sure it's my own risk, I know that.

16 minutes ago, Robse said:

Its just as bizarre as the fact that most wheels sold today are able to go much more than 25 kph - but the manual always "recommends" that safe speed is max 25 :facepalm:, and "your own risk" - sure it's my own risk, I know that.

I don't pretend to know anything about legal stuff but when you pay a solicitor £££££ and they tell you to put some words in your book salad,  you do it. 

Apparently written and published stuff with sold physical products makes legal people very excited when they have to shout at each other.  :rolleyes:

20 hours ago, Tawpie said:

240 lbs, wants to go faster than 40 kph up a hill into the wind with some piece of mind, likes the idea of 35 mph for 60 miles… the only recipe is max batteries.

I repeat, this is nonsense. Please live the life of a 240 person for a while before telling us what we can and can't do.