13 hours ago, Josh Morgan said:

@Flying W I am getting my RS tomorrow and I literally read every singe one of your posts in order to calm my nerves. I also bought from eWheels and live in Los Angeles. Let's link up sometime!

I'm still loving the wheel man, I'm pretty close in mission viejo! 

bummer to hear your bearings failed under such ideal conditions...

I am keen to learn about the new and improved bearings though...! I kept the box for my wheel with the expectation I'd need to send it back for a swap.

Great, if they work out it would make sense to just order some... that, and get the workbench ready and figure out how to replace them myself. I've been watching so many videos that it starts to seem like a reasonable idea lol

7 hours ago, Zach N said:

So I'm not sure if this is where I should put this, but my RS19 HS has developed the dreaded bearing issue... D:  Good news is that I wasn't all that surprised by it. This is why I bought from eWheels, new and better quality bearings are being shot over express mail. I will comment again after the surgery. I know I am not the first to have this but my wheel was part of the January delivery, and I hoped that just maybe Begode had fixed the bearings after the first batch had so many issues. For those of you waiting for your wheel form eWheels, they gave me the option of pulling the motor and letting them do the repairs. I know not everyone has the facilities to do the bearing swap.

For the conditions leading up to the problem:

214 miles on clean roads (no off-roading)

never rode during the rain

garage kept, warm and dry

average cruising speed 30 MPH, with peaks up to 38. 

knock issue or bearing failure noise ?

On 2/10/2021 at 2:55 AM, EMA said:

knock issue or bearing failure noise ?

In hindsight I think it came with a bearing failure, but I had no frame of reference at that time. I thought that the stutter at low speed and mild noise was just how Begode wheels sounded, or was a biproduct of the hollow core. It never hand spun well like my KS18XL did so that should have been a clue. The knocking came recently along with a slight wobble. 

*** update:

Bearings looked fine after visual inspection. I still swapped them out for the new ones from eWheels just to be safe. There could be wear or warping I just can't see so I'm being cautious. It may have primarily been an alignment issue that got progressively worse. Its raining right now, but a simple test in the garage showed it rolled fine and sounded way cleaner on the lift spin than it ever did before.

Edited by Zach N
  • Like 2

Dang that's unfortunate. I'm about 800 miles, mostly pavement, a little bit damp at times, minor off roading and so far it's been quiet. 

I think Law from Vegas has been pretty lucky with the amount of abuse he puts on his RS.

I'm at 400 some odd miles on my RS, about half off-road, no water and it's fine so far, smoothest wheel I own. This is a replacement since my first one had the knock after 20 miles. 

I think the QC is just crap, of ya get a "Wednesday" wheel I think it will be good for a while, provided no water. 

Mine came from eWheels so I'm secretly hoping the bearings fail during the warranty period haha

15 hours ago, Augus said:

EMA, can you describe both situations and the ideal solution for each of them? Thank you

this is a "standard dead bearing" , constant grinding, you need to repleace the bearing:

this is a knock issue sample : https://photos.app.goo.gl/QkLxQ2QoLP7ZHyNCA
this is a misaligned problem, bearing are usually fine, need to open the motor and fix their position, this is what i've done in my case:

i've fix 2 EX motors and they are running fine right now, i've also send 3d printed spacer to another friend of mine with an RS, he has fix his motor, still testing but seems fine.

• Like 1

Poor guy! Life's a biatch! Then buddy gets a new wheel & it turns out to be a rusty old hag. Maybe he's lucky its not a virgin😆

I do feel somewhat bad laughing at other's misery. Naaah....but GW/BG has to get its act together. We can't afford to lose another EUC mfgr. 

My RS suffered a bearing failure over the weekend. After field stripping the wheel, determined it was only the right bearing that went to shit. E-Wheels is sending be replacement bearings. There was no signs of trapped water between the cover and bearing. The new version of covers don't have a lip that traps water. I'll be drilling drain holes in mine since it's already disassembled. Attached is a picture of the failed bearing. Seems that these cheap ass bearings are packed with petroleum jelly. Definitely not good for wheel bearings.

PXL_20210216_195257953.jpg

• Like 1

My replacement bearings arrived last Thursday(Feb 18). The new bearings were also packed with petrolatum jelly. I repacked them with waterproof grease. At least the replacement bearings have a part number on them. On Friday was the first trip with the new bearings. I rode between rain showers. Everything was very wet. So far no bearing noise.

PXL_20210218_204950898.jpg

PXL_20210218_204959770.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WI_Hedgehog said:

Are you aware too much grease in the bearings causes the balls to skate and wear flat spots in them and the races?

I have never heard of such a thing. We always packed them beyond where they couldnt hold any more, to ensure even dispersion and flushing of foreign material. Hell, I paid dearly for a tool thats pnuematic, to assist in doing so. When time is money, packing bearings is expensive.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2