Another KS 16X cut off - don't ride KS16X at the higher speeds! (gross photo warning)

photorph

On 12/26/2019 at 5:12 AM, photorph said:

In all my time of riding EUCs and riding 10+ different EUCs, I've never experienced a cut out or a fall at such high speed.  With the KS 16X I had a cut out at 27.8 mph, no beeps or tilt-back as I had those set to 29 mph and 30 mph respectively per the top speed listed by KS.  Post cut off voltage was 77v.  There really was no reason for a cut off here, I'm only 145 lbs and was riding at a sufficient battery (77v), temperature was around 50F, and I'm on the latest firmware 1.07.  Cut out happened when I attempted to accelerate from 27 to 29 with a gentle push.  

I'm 100% okay with the exception of this road rash on left side where my jacket lifted up, second day and it's running it's cycle of healing.  I'll be perfectly okay.  Many thanks to Alpinestar motorcycle jacket/Klim K fifty 2 moto jeans/knox gloves.  Just a flesh wound that will heal soon.  

<picture snipped>

Making this post as a PSA.  On the KS16X recommend setting 3rd alarm to 40-42 km/h and tilt-back to around 43-45 km/hr.  These are the max speeds kingsong should have advertised rather than trying to match the nikola.  I'm also wondering another thing, will it cut out at slower speeds on a steep hill climb...

There's another long thread on this here with someone who also cut out at a similar speed:

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/16436-ks16x-cutoffoverlean-29-30mph/

I will add that kingsong has new controllers that are a different design than the one I had on my second batch KS16X.  Will this mean that the you actually will have power reserves at 25+ mph to avoid a cut out??  That I cannot say, but I won't be the one to attempt to push it once above 25 mph even if I put in the new controller.  Or I might just sell the wheel, as I can't keep up with 100v gotway group rides.

Glad you're OK of course. I think I'm going to consider my 16X a 25mph or under wheel, and mostly under. Fortunately that matches most of my riding.

If people want speed (25+ mph) they should just buy Gotway.

BTW, maybe edit your post and put the picture in a Quote so then we only get to see it if we click to expand the quote. FYI.

1 minute ago, houseofjob said:

Oh how memories seem to be very short here.

Most now don't seem to remember that the 16X was originally pegged to be a 45kph / 28mph max wheel, until forums like these clamored for KS to raise it to 31mph.

Seems there was a reason for the cap looking back in hindsight 🧐

Sure. Yeah,  I just didn't expect then to up the speed settings without increasing the wheel's capabilities. :blink1: Although they did up the motor to 2200 watt. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, alex5454 said:

I honestly don't care about the top speed of 50 km / h. I just don't want to have a cut off when I'm traveling if I put 40 km / h on KS 16x can I sleep peacefully ?

Easily, at 40 or below 100% ok.

14 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Sorry to hear about your crash @photorph and happy to see you made it out with "just a scrape".

If it's of any interest I have my 3rd alarm at 45 kmh and tilt-back at 50kmh.
I rarely hit hard tilt-back but I am usually gently on soft tilt-back.
As my ride progresses and the battery goes down soft tilt-back comes at a lower speed.

The alarm is set to 45 just so that I am aware to not do any crazy leaning at that speed.
Sometimes when I am riding on soft tilt-back and I push the pedals to hard I get the 88% alarm (4 quick beeps).
Maybe once or twice I have pushed so hard that I got 4 quick beeps and hard tilt-back but I was asking for it.

Were there any inclines or potholes involved in this accident?
I feel that my 16X (1st batch FW 1.07) has always been very good at presenting soft tilt back and thus making it reasonably difficult for me to push it further.
My riding weight now that it's winter is 155 lbs (70kg).
Yesterday I went for a 36km ride and spent the 18km back home pretty much beeping until I hit soft tilt-back at 44kmh. I only slowed down for parts that were too dark, as I wouldn't want to stumble forward on soft tilt-back because of an unseen obstacle or irregularity in the road.
When I got home the 16X was at 71V which later recovered to 72V. Temperature was -1C.

3680km on the wheel. Experient mode and 25 PSI.

Have you had any other problems with the wheel?

No pot holes involved, perfectly flat smooth road.  No other issues with the wheel except that I’m able to dip pedals at higher speeds.  But pretty certain same is case with you if you are brave enough to try.  Flick your ankle quickly on ks16x at 45 or above and it will dip, flick it on the MSX and it will stay level.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I've tried flicking a ton of times at high battery, high speed, low battery, top speed, soft tilt-back, etc. No results other than an alarm at low voltage and once I got a hard tilt-back. I have pressed hard enough on soft tilt-back to get the 88% alarm at 51 kmh which to me sounds like a good reason to stop pressing. I have climbed a short 22 degree incline at 0% battery.

Do you have the newest control board?  Or were you not able to dip the pedals even when you had your first batch control board?

4 hours ago, photorph said:

Do you have the newest control board?  Or were you not able to dip the pedals even when you had your first batch control board?

Mine is first batch so it is highly unlikely. No modifications done. Everything is original as it came except for a battery connector that burned up.

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I would’ve thought that the control board version 1.5 would’ve fixed the ankle flinkability, since a few have commented on it giving a firmer ride and no more flicks happening. But I think a few also reported that the 1.5 didn’t fix the ankle-flickability. @Mike Sacristan, isn’t your stable 16X made too early to be a 1.5?

Anyway, there were several videos and comments earlier on confirming the ankle flicks, so the flickability/faceplantability is definitely a widespread issue, not just a few faulty units. I do wish we’d find out for good wether the ”stable” 16X’s are inherently more stable at top speed, could it actually be up to the great variances in people’s riding behaviour.

Correct. Some people with 1.05 board seem to still be able to flick. Crazy stuff.

Yes mine is definitely too early.

KS16X2B190628G002

Perhaps from the pre ankle-flick era.

This @EcoDrift article implies that the board limits the power delivery in one way or the other, and this is responsible for the ankle flicking/instable behavior of the 16X at high speeds. A 45kph 16XS modification with the 18XL type board doesn't have these problems. I wonder why they don't just fix this.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fecodrift.ru%2F2019%2F12%2F17%2Frazbiraemsya-v-moshhnosti-dvigatelej-na-primere-kingsong-ks-16x-16xs%2F

• Like 3

My cutoff was indeed with a v1.5 board. Jason sent it to me in hopes it would resolve the pedal flick issue, but it did not, I am sad to say. The previous board was a v1.4, and honestly, it wasn't any more difficult to do the ankle flick on the v1.5. The only changes that I could make out were potentially improved EMI to reduce or eliminate the Bluetooth EMI problem from earlier boards.

KS16XV1.5.thumb.jpg.00136f0fa928d42cadafee42c9c8f63c.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about hour accident. I couldnt ride my 16x over 25mph when I had it (ended up trading it for another wheel) It was too sketchy riding at higher speed because it was bouncy when I ride over road imperfections and wobbly after the bounce due to higher pedal height. And braking was harder because the side pads were slippery and didnt have much grip. And knowing from all the cutouts I didnt want to push the wheel close to its limits.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I would’ve thought that the control board version 1.5 would’ve fixed the ankle flinkability, since a few have commented on it giving a firmer ride and no more flicks happening. But I think a few also reported that the 1.5 didn’t fix the ankle-flickability. @Mike Sacristan, isn’t your stable 16X made too early to be a 1.5?

Anyway, there were several videos and comments earlier on confirming the ankle flicks, so the flickability/faceplantability is definitely a widespread issue, not just a few faulty units. I do wish we’d find out for good wether the ”stable” 16X’s are inherently more stable at top speed, could it actually be up to the great variances in people’s riding behaviour.

Wow, long time since I wrote something in here but people around commented on this cut out and I had to read about it.

Well for science, I would gladly lend out my wheel to my friend @Mike Sacristan if you’d like a comparison and mike would be up for it. It’s also the first batch. Even first in Sweden, lol

I have stayed mostly under 43km/h... when riding. Average is probably 35-40.

No issue at all. Started with soft mode the first month or two but have changed to soft since then. 
Absolutely love everything about it but got a bit concerned when reading about this.

I doubt though that a wheel will start behaving strange suddenly if you already have a long total range on it and have tried the different conditions and speeds with it. 
Still running v1.05 fw .

Mike , call me if you want to try it out (or whatsup text)cause I will not be watching this everyday .

Also sorry for the accident, hope you recover fast. 

Edited by Azze80
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, RoadRunner said:

Shit, the ankle flick is back. :shock2:

:roflmao:

It's the EUC version of the Harlem Shake :efee612b4b:

(although I must admit, ankle flicking or not, I'm happy to be part of a community where no one's doing the Floss...) [Edit: that I know of] :efee612b4b:

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Seba said:

+1. This is just 200 W of difference. And we see that KS-18XL with "only" 2000 W performs no worse that mighty 2200 W KS-16X in terms of speed... Anyone heard about KS-18XL cutouts? Increased power is mostly a marketing thing. Just take a look at Ninebot Z-series. Z6, Z8 and Z10 differ in output power but this is all about software limitation - motor and controller are the same in all three EUCs. And there is no difference in battery load capability between Z8 and Z10 - they share the same configuration, the only difference is in capacity.

The magnet width did increase by 10%, though, from 27 to 30mm. So, for given phase current, the torque should increase by 10%, which means 10% increase in mechanical power at the same speed.

• Like 2

do you think after 1.0.7 kingsong is working on a new firmware? is there room for improvement? reduce the cutoffs. I have set tilt back to 40km / H on KS16X (I hope to sleep peacefully). :unsure::sleep1::efefb6a84e:

Edited by alex5454

6 hours ago, Seba said:

And we see that KS-18XL with "only" 2000 W performs no worse that mighty 2200 W KS-16X in terms of speed... Anyone heard about KS-18XL cutouts?

It seems (I have no hard data to back this assumption) that the 16X cutouts are all related to torque delivery, which I'd always assumed was firmware-related. But based on what @Aneta says:

5 hours ago, Aneta said:

The magnet width did increase by 10%, though, from 27 to 30mm. So, for given phase current, the torque should increase by 10%, which means 10% increase in mechanical power at the same speed.

Same battery capacity but 10% increase in (mechanical) torque/power...could explain a few things. Is the 16X's board enough of an improvement to handle the difference? Where do you guys reckon the issues stem from: battery, board or firmware? Or too hasty a release and bad balance of all of the aforementioned?

And more importantly...it's utter BS that we're playing "guess the cause of the flaw" on a forum and receiving ZERO info from the manufacturer...

• Like 2

On 12/29/2019 at 7:40 AM, Mike Sacristan said:

@photorph do you purposefully have to do the same similar technique or do you get pedal dipping above 45 kmh "by accident"?

The ankle flick is so specific to the technique it seems more like a timing bug in firmware more than a power related one.

I got intentionally did the dipping in the video, but my cutout was unintentional.  Just acceleration from 26 and at 27 ish it dipped and kept on dipping till I was on the floor ha.  

10 hours ago, alex5454 said:

do you think after 1.0.7 kingsong is working on a new firmware? is there room for improvement? reduce the cutoffs. I have set tilt back to 40km / H on KS16X (I hope to sleep peacefully). :unsure::sleep1::efefb6a84e:

At this limit, you will be 100% okay.  40 km/h is no problem.  

1 hour ago, Seba said:

But all this is only theory. Without detailed knowledge of KS-16X build and operation details (controller circuit diagram, software algorithm details, motor build details etc.) we can only speculate. I think KS knows best what to do and they are working on fixing this. I hope it won't require any hardware changes to already sold KS-16X.

KS 16X has already had a few hardware changes like a change in design in the control board, and I have a feeling their may be more.  

• Like 3