MTen3 67v 420Wh vs 84v 325Wh

I often burst over 20mph on my daily commute but 95% of time I'm below 16mph.

Range matters little, provided it exceeds 3x my normal commute.  So I guess I'd prefer the speed option.

My daily commute is 2km in dense urban environment, I do it mostly on Mten3 and mostly on sidewalk as the wheel is too small for "street-level" bumps.

When it comes to wheels, I'm not particularly price sensitive.  I wonder what percentage of people on this forum are making wheel decisions based on cost?  Perhaps the goal is to expand the market?

IMHO, the lowest-hanging fruit for the Mten3 would be to curve the underside of the handle so it does not hurt the hand, and to add a wheel-cut-off button.

• Like 3

I can't imagine going 25 mph on my MTen3!!! That little wheel is loads of fun, but squirrelly!  But, I consider top speed to be about about peak headroom and safety, not top speed usage.

My #1 MTen3 complaint is the painfully squared off handle, and second no momentary cut-off button.  I consider the MTen3 to be a novelty wheel due to the tiny tire.

I vote for a non-existent $600 325Wh 84V GotWay 12"  wheel.  In reality I would probably vote KS14D for a kid or curious adult.

Does the $375 12" 172Wh IPS a130 not fit the "cheap" segment for small kids already?

• Like 3

How much power do you lose along with that top speed? While I do occasionally enjoy cruising at 24mph top speed isn't that important to me. But a huge part of the fun I'm having with the Mten3 is the crazy amount of acceleration and braking power it has. If the 67v has a significant drop in torque I'd rather have the smaller 84v battery. Otherwise if the only compromise really is top speed I'd opt for the longer range.

Agreed on the handle though, if it were curved it'd be a huge improvement to ergonomics. In lieu of that I borrowed a page from Marty's book and wrapped it with a spare tennis racquet grip I had lying around.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Working on a deal with Gotway, for offer an 'entry' level MTe3n in the next 40-50 days for around $590, or $400 less than the current 512Wh/84V model. 

The choice is either a larger capacity 420Wh/67v or the 325Wh/84v, weight difference between the two is negligible, but the question is whether it's more advantageous to have another 95Wh capacity on the 67v or the extra 5MPH of speed head-room. For a 10", does anyone actual ride this at the 25MPH limit, or is 20MPH sufficient? Which would you choose?  

Will the controller be the same in both models? (i.e. rated for the same max voltage)

Wow I didn't realize Gotway was still making 67-volt anything... I got my Mten3 (84/512) up to 24 mph back when I was about 30 lbs heavier. I'd say 84v, not for the increased speed per se, but for the extra bit of headroom it provides against overleans.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Working on a deal with Gotway, for offer an 'entry' level MTe3n in the next 40-50 days for around $590, or $400 less than the current 512Wh/84V model. 

The choice is either a larger capacity 420Wh/67v or the 325Wh/84v, weight difference between the two is negligible, but the question is whether it's more advantageous to have another 95Wh capacity on the 67v or the extra 5MPH of speed head-room. For a 10", does anyone actual ride this at the 25MPH limit, or is 20MPH sufficient? Which would you choose?  

Sounds good for an entry level. I would much rather of had this instead of my e+

I wonder what's the phase current limit on the controller? Is this limit, or system voltage, is what limits the torque at zero speed? If the voltage, then 67V version will not only have lower top speed (and thus lower thrust headroom at conservative speeds of 50-70% of "faceplant speed"), but have proportionally lower torque at low speeds, too. That would really suck.

Edited by Aneta

Make it 84volt.

The common complaint is that people are worried of faceplanting the tiny wheel. The torque provided from the higher voltage means this tiny 10 inch wheel is able to move over very large potholes.

I ride this wheel at 25mph and it can still climb over bumps because of the high voltage. 

84volts or bust (safety buffer for beginners even at low, low speeds)

Edited by Declan acoustic-unicyclist

13 hours ago, Aneta said:

I wonder what's the phase current limit on the controller? Is this limit, or system voltage, is what limits the torque at zero speed? If the voltage, then 67V version will not only have lower top speed (and thus lower thrust headroom at conservative speeds of 50-70% of "faceplant speed"), but have proportionally lower torque at low speeds, too. That would really suck.

You need to relax and enjoy the wheels  :)

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Aneta said:

6 minutes ago, fryman said:

You need to relax and enjoy the wheels  :)

Love my 512wh MTen3. Gets more use than my MSX lately because the weather's been too wet for offroading.

@Aneta is right. The MTen3 needs every amp it can muster at low speed- that's why it's fun. @Jason McNeil: choose whichever model has higher stall current :)  If they're equal, then my vote is go for capacity. "More range than a onewheel xr" is a major selling point for EUC's here in the US.

p.s.  I have no complaints about carrying this tiny 20lb wheel- handle ergonomics never crossed my mind.

Cheers

• Like 3

It was mentioned elsewhere that it might be a good idea for the batteries to be removable in 4 sections. This might allow you to take an EUC on a plane. Not sure whether you could just leave a pack out to make the wheel cheaper. The Mten3 is a really interesting wheel but is it a good wheel for learners?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

It was mentioned elsewhere that it might be a good idea for the batteries to be removable in 4 sections. This might allow you to take an EUC on a plane. Not sure whether you could just leave a pack out to make the wheel cheaper. The Mten3 is a really interesting wheel but is it a good wheel for learners?

Many airlines will not even allow an EUC that is demonstrated to have no batteries, allowed on a plane.

The inside of the Mten3 is tight and the battery pack is small. I don't think it would be realistic to break it up into multiple components. And if you did, that would certainly raise the manufacturing cost (and therefore purchase price).

• Like 2

23 hours ago, paulz said:

Onewheel is the number one choice of people who are not aware that EUCs exist.  

Onewheel:  Combining the inferiority of a flat wheel with the inferiority of a small wheel; coupled to an under-powered motor and a diminutive battery.  

Yet still more expensive than an EUC because all those banner ads must be paid for somehow.  EUC is a triumph of engineering; onewheel is a triumph of marketing. 

We had a onewheel rider in our group this year. It looked like fun, but we really had to scale group rides back when he came out -- had to ride at low speed and much shorter distances than normal, couldn't do hills as well, the list goes on. There are definitely use cases for it, riding sideways on a wheel would be useful when taking video of something for example, and it seems to work well for short commutes/last mile scenarios, but on basic utility we learned that the onewheel is nowhere close to euc.

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 2