MTen3 67v 420Wh vs 84v 325Wh

If I were buying on ewheels and had these two options I would buy larger battery certainly. Personally, I'm not buying a 10" wheel for speed, but for last mile / fun / learning etc.

I also agree that any wheel you will lift requires a cut off button. IMO a cut off button is far more useful and practical than a lightshow on the wheel for example.

Edited by Hatchet

11 hours ago, Mono said:

A big problem I have with the MTen is pedal clearance. Less than 100mm ground clearance is for me a deal breaker for EUCs that I use not only as a toy.

Took the MTen3 "off-roading" at the local park today through the grass to a paved court area.  There was a dip in the dirt before the concrete, and bam caught a pedal and MTen3 went flying, mostly because of the Gotway dance.  Yeah it doesn't have much clearance!

• Like 3

I think 20 mph is perfect for my purposes and fits the size of the unit better. Of the two options given, I would prefer more battery to more power. I actually don't need much of either and would prefer a lighter weight to both options, but I think I'm in the minority. I want the most portable EUC that can work for my short commute. The Mten3 might be small but it's not much lighter than some larger options. Unfortunately there are basically no sub 20 pound compact options.

As we have all mentioned before many of us are awaiting for a mten4, something either 10 or 12” 100volt, 800 or 1030 wh, with a nice thick tire. @Jason McNeil this is where the market is.. buyers are waiting!

Edited by Mrd777
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Gotway rep said that apart from North America, the MTen3 has not sold well in other regions. Manufacturer logic in producing a new Wheel product is based on historical/current sales demand, rather than what we would prefer of, 'let's make something really cool, then people will buy', AKA the Tesla pickup truck approach.

'Murica!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Gotway rep said that apart from North America, the MTen3 has not sold well in other regions.

The Marty Backe effect. I'm serious. Does the same apply to the MCM5?

Also the mten3 might be too expensive over here - it's like 1150€ at Speedy, too much (real and psychological) for a "toy" wheel. You want one, you order from Ali (which I guess doesn't count as Euro sale).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Han Vo said:

I'd be intrested in a ips5 like mten 3 if your going smaller battery.  Easier to put in a knapsack 

This is what I'm after too, something light I can carry in a backpack and get maybe 10 miles out of. The IPS i5 would be perfect for me if their QC was up to par and the design was not so susceptible to damage from going through puddles. Lots of sprinklers along my short commute. Well, the i5 is a bit slower than I would prefer as well. The MTen3 is the only wheel that is even comparable for my purpose, but it's heavier, thicker and has a smaller wheel. I hope this niche gets more attention in the future.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 7th1rt3en said:

This is what I'm after too, something light I can carry in a backpack and get maybe 10 miles out of. The IPS i5 would be perfect for me if their QC was up to par and the design was not so susceptible to damage from going through puddles. Lots of sprinklers along my short commute. Well, the i5 is a bit slower than I would prefer as well. The MTen3 is the only wheel that is even comparable for my purpose, but it's heavier, thicker and has a smaller wheel. I hope this niche gets more attention in the future.

Great ideas about the ips5 (I love the concept of that wheel - rode one a few weeks ago, again). This probably isn't the thread since I don't think Jason is looking to get a new wheel designed :)

• Like 2

On 11/24/2019 at 9:03 AM, Jason McNeil said:

Gotway rep said that apart from North America, the MTen3 has not sold well in other regions. Manufacturer logic in producing a new Wheel product is based on historical/current sales demand, rather than what we would prefer of, 'let's make something really cool, then people will buy', AKA the Tesla pickup truck approach.

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Great ideas about the ips5 (I love the concept of that wheel - rode one a few weeks ago, again). This probably isn't the thread since I don't think Jason is looking to get a new wheel designed :)

His last post mentions new wheel product and making something really cool people would buy. Sounds like someone is looking for new wheel design.

Edited by Han Vo

8 minutes ago, Han Vo said:

His last post mentions new wheel product and making something really cool people would buy. Sounds like someone is looking for new wheel design.

Not in this thread though.

Which post was that BTW :popcorn:

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 11:31 AM, mike_bike_kite said:

It was mentioned elsewhere that it might be a good idea for the batteries to be removable in 4 sections. This might allow you to take an EUC on a plane. Not sure whether you could just leave a pack out to make the wheel cheaper. The Mten3 is a really interesting wheel but is it a good wheel for learners?

As of last weekend, I have taught 5 people to ride EUCs using my Mten3, never taking more than an hour to properly get going.

The wheel is so responsive, that the only task you need to accomplish to ride it is: "maintain balance over the center." Once the student can accomplish this, they merely have to point in the direction they wish to ride and the torquey wheel will take them.

The results of my EUC students speak for themselves 

• Like 3

On 11/26/2019 at 4:15 PM, Declan acoustic-unicyclist said:

They would need to be compared with results on different wheels though. I don't find it unusual that people learn riding in under an hour with a good teacher. But I also suspect that it is easier to learn with a lighter wheel.

Edited by Mono

3 hours ago, Declan acoustic-unicyclist said:

As of last weekend, I have taught 5 people to ride EUCs using my Mten3, never taking more than an hour to properly get going.

The wheel is so responsive, that the only task you need to accomplish to ride it is: "maintain balance over the center." Once the student can accomplish this, they merely have to point in the direction they wish to ride and the torquey wheel will take them.

Pretty much the opposite of what you want to do on any bigger wheel.. 

Riding an EUC is not a balancing act, it’s a destruction of that balance and trusting the wheel to catch you as you fall left and right, forward and backward. 

Sounds like they would struggle to ride a real wheel. 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 1:29 PM, Darrell Wesh said:

Pretty much the opposite of what you want to do on any bigger wheel.. 

Riding an EUC is not a balancing act, it’s a destruction of that balance and trusting the wheel to catch you as you fall left and right, forward and backward. 

Sounds like they would struggle to ride a real wheel. 

Lol okay, 

well he was keeping up with me and carving at 25mph on my MSX

didn't seem like a real struggle. This is how you begin to learn riding a wheel. Then you shift your shoulders to steer heavier wheels. All wheels can be turned with just the feet

• Like 1