LA EUC Games website is now live!!!

On 8/18/2019 at 8:18 AM, Arnold Pamplona said:

I've taken my V8 on Amtrak with no problems.  I put it in the overhead storage area.

I hope this is the case. I'm really trying to find the most reliable and safe way to get my wheel down there but still not sure. I even considered buying a new wheel and enjoy it for my time there and then have it possibly shipped back to my home address from ewheels . I don't know. :huh:

Edited by OUNCESMUSIC
  • Like 2

On 8/12/2019 at 6:46 PM, John Walden said:

If I were to stay at the Disneyland resort, does anyone know how I could get to the velodrome and back that day. @Flyboy, @Yellowman and @Freewheeler or other riders in the area? I am interested in Saturday only, thanks

I'll be traveling from Costa Mesa, there's a possibility I can swing by and pick you up. 

• Upvote 2

So I roll into my local FedEx to ask about the logistics of shipping this wheel to Cali for my vacation.

The first guy said I need some sort of UN code for the batteries to verify if they can ship it. He also asked the sold value of the item and when I told him (monster) he replied with something along the lines of too expensive he thinks.

Than another guy came out and was blatantly saying no because of the batteries. I elaborated about it being possible seeing as how others have sold used wheels within the states and shipped out to the purchaser even including the idea that Jason at ewheels offered something like this for his customers. Once I brought this up it seemed he was directing me to have him do it then.

Basically what I got was there needs to be appropriate exterior labeling of the contents, if even allowed at all.

Edited by OUNCESMUSIC
Paragraph seperation
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, OUNCESMUSIC said:

So I roll into my local FedEx to ask about the logistics of shipping this wheel to Cali for my vacation.

The first guy said I need some sort of UN code for the batteries to verify if they can ship it. He also asked the sold value of the item and when I told him (monster) he replied with something along the lines of too expensive he thinks.

Than another guy came out and was blatantly saying no because of the batteries. I elaborated about it being possible seeing as how others have sold used wheels within the states and shipped out to the purchaser even including the idea that Jason at ewheels offered something like this for his customers. Once I brought this up it seemed he was directing me to have him do it then.

Basically what I got was there needs to be appropriate exterior labeling of the contents, if even allowed at all.

Funny considering that a vast number of our wheels are shipped to us via FedEx. The two times I've shipped wheels via FedEx, all the paperwork was done at home and I just dropped off the box at a local FedEx office.

I think the less interaction that you have with the local store staff, the better.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hey, @Marty Backe, is there any more concrete info (coughschedulecough) concerning the various group rides you have planned for the week of the event? I have a tag-along that will be coming to the games with me that is interested in the group rides, and I was hoping to entice them into coming down a day or two earlier than we originally planned so that we can take part in more of the fun... 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Ug. I've been procrastinating. I know the rides but have to create the page. I'll try and get that up by the end of this weekend. Thanks for the push :thumbup:

Thanks a bunch Marty! :cheers:

• Like 3

I’ve been thinking about flying in from Philly for the event, but there is a lot to think about. #1. Shipping my wheel. #2. How many days of riding will there be?  #3. Will many others (including non-locals) be riding other days outside of the weekend?

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, HarpMudd said:

I’ve been thinking about flying in from Philly for the event, but there is a lot to think about. #1. Shipping my wheel. #2. How many days of riding will there be?  #3. Will many others (including non-locals) be riding other days outside of the weekend?

Eagles fan? I sure am! Would love to have you out! @Michael Vu has shipped his wheels many times. Perhaps he can give some advice? Sounds like @Marty Backe is planning either Friday-Thursday group rides or Saturday through Thursday rides. I'm planning a Friday evening ride night before. I'm guessing he'll have a few people on each ride. Doing them all would rock for an out of towner though because there's sooo many cool places to ride out here...Hope that helps...

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Rama Douglas said:

Eagles fan? I sure am! Would love to have you out! @Michael Vu has shipped his wheels many times. Perhaps he can give some advice? Sounds like @Marty Backe is planning either Friday-Thursday group rides or Saturday through Thursday rides. I'm planning a Friday evening ride night before. I'm guessing he'll have a few people on each ride. Doing them all would rock for an out of towner though because there's sooo many cool places to ride out here...Hope that helps...

Thanks Rama, helps a lot. Yes, I'm an Eagles fan! GO BIRDS!

Also wondered, where is a good central location to stay? I know there are so many spots.  Also, does it just make sense to rent a car or Uber? I suspect a lot of the cool riding spots are out of town so will likely need to drive/car pool etc.

Some of this stuff in an FAQ would be sweet for out of towners.

Also, could ship my wheel to a hotel, or a local. Open to ideas. @Michael Vu

• Like 1

I'm also contemplating driving out to Cali for this event. It will depend on my work here.  Can the people putting together group rides put in one place the dates and times for the rides? This way some of us can better prepare for our possible trip. Thanks.   I just hope I can ride my new euc before the end of October.

• Like 2

Has anyone thought about renting a large 15 seater van and just use that to shuttle people around? Parking might be an issue but that's what our EUCs are for. Might be cheaper for a group of people then trying to find 15 Uber drivers... Let me know if anyone is interested in this idea as I will have no car if I come for the pre game rides. As long as everyone chips in some how it should be cheap. Haven't crunched any numbers though.

Edited by Flyboy10
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Okay, so we were going to "officially" announce this a little later, but as the discussions have started...

We (Roll.nz) are planning to attend (and may even be bringing a few things over with us), and I am planning to joining in for a few of Marty's pre-games rides too!

We haven't confirmed accommodation yet, but are considering something nearer Encino (where the Velodrome is located). But wouid also look at co-locating with other "tourists" so that we can uber / ride share together to make it more economic.

So anyone like @HarpMudd and @Genghis let me know and we can start a private chat to discuss the best loacation (once @Marty Backe pulls finger and details the rides)...

I’d look in Air BNB options as well.  Encino doesn’t have the same curb appeal as DTLA, West Hollywood/L.A. if you can find reasonable accommodations. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

I’d look in Air BNB options as well.  Encino doesn’t have the same curb appeal as DTLA, West Hollywood/L.A. if you can find reasonable accommodations. 

Yeah, @The Fat Unicyclist, I agree. I've been suggesting to stay in or around Hollywood, or DTLA (downtown). Both are more touristy and close enough to wheel to Griffith Park rides. A train ride on LA Metro (and maybe a bus, or wheel) to the North Hollywood puts you close to Encino. Then renting a car, or Uber to Marty's rides, or @Flyboy10good idea. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flyboy10 said:

Has anyone thought about renting a large 15 seater van and just use that to shuttle people around? Parking might be an issue but that's what our EUCs are for. Might be cheaper for a group of people then trying to find 15 Uber drivers... Let me know if anyone is interested in this idea as I will have no car if I come for the pre game rides. As long as everyone chips in some how it should be cheap. Haven't crunched any numbers though.

I love your optimism :)  I still wonder if more than a handful of people are going to participate in the rides, based on the often anemic participation in the group rides that I currently organize.

Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 2