Terrible accident on Ninebot Z10

Igor Rz

28 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Actually not.:)

Ok, "it depends" :D But I agree with you, there are actually two situations causing EUC to stop stabilizing itself and consequently the rider. One is a literal cut out caused by protective countermeasures in controller, second is lack of torque reserve caused by mechanisms you've described. Both are resulting in the same and both are abrupt enought to justify use of "cut out" term for both cases.

13 minutes ago, Smoother said:

yes that sounds about right.  95 Amps demanded, 90 Amps available, the missing 5 Amps get borrowed from you face as it slides across the ground.:D

my sides :roflmao:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I assure you, it's possible to overlean a KingSong wheel.

The Z10 implements tilt-back just like KingSong. When you reach the max speed it starts to tilt-back to slow you down. You can't turn it off like on Gotway. But if you aggressively lean into the wheel, it only takes a split second to over power the motor.

So just like this Z10 episode, the KingSong wheels will also cutout.

Maybe this is a bit of stereotyping, but I think the typical KingSong owner does not ride their wheel as aggressively as a Gotway or Z10 rider. And this is why cutouts are not reported much for those wheels.

7 hours ago, svenomous said:

@Marty Backe, while I do buy the theory that KS riders as a population are statistically less likely to ride aggressively, the problem with forums and YouTube, etc. is that statistics go out the window since it's the outliers who're more likely to be present and reporting their woes.  It would only take a few anomalously aggressive KS riders who suffer a cut-out and post their videos or discussions before the number of reports of such cut-outs would seem just as high as it is for Gotway and others.  So, isn't it also possible that KS is allowing for a larger safety margin that gives more time/torque/power for tilt-back to "succeed" before cutout, thereby contributing to the fact that we see a lot fewer cut-out reports for these wheels?

I'm a King Song rider and I don't think I ride as aggressively as an advanced Gotway rider, but not for the reasons Marty gives.  I ride more conservatively because I am petrified of King Songs agressive tilt back*.  I'm serious, I have been thrown down the road by aggressive tilt back more times than I care to remember.  The thought of hitting it again keeps my riding sane.  Most of these aggressive tilt backs occurred on my KS14C 340WH.  Sometimes it was low battery, and sometimes it was aggressive acceleration to max (low max of 30kph, so easier to hit).  and sometimes a combination of both. Sometimes I managed to stay on, but OMG did I sh..t myself for a second or two!  As a result I have become a master of energy application.  I would never lean into an already fast ride like in the video we are discussing. And as Marty said, if necessary, I reduce my speed to compensate for an impending power spike such as a bump or incline.

Another fear on the small battery wheel was "tilt back to cut out".  The speed sensing routine calls for a tilt back, the tilt back routine calls for more power, the battery says no more power, the wheel say get off....now.  This was the scenario of my worst, and only actual face plant (face? meet road).

* aggressive tilt back:when the wheel accelerates fast and suddenly, in order to get in front of a fast moving rider, in order to be able to tilt him backwards to slow down.  Not to be confused with normal tilt back where a gentle acceleration / tilt warns the rider of a situation (speed, power, etc)

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1

It just detects overload condition that could cause catastrophic failure to the controller power stage, so as a countermeasure it turns off all the transistors.

I’m pretty sure that’s not what the wheels do, not since 2016 or even earlier.

There is no "soft" power limit, it's rather 0-1 situation.

Modern wheels, even the Z10, can’t be this easily be brought to a catastrophic failure mode. (YouTube: Pushing a car with a 100V MSX) The event horizon for both overlean and a cut-out is a sharp line, yes, but what follows after is massively different.

4 hours ago, Seba said:

Both are resulting in the same and both are abrupt enought to justify use of "cut out" term for both cases.

The max tilt angle allowed is 40-45 degrees, I’m pretty sure on all current wheels. Up to that point the wheel will keep delivering all available power. In this case, the same power that was almost sufficient to keep up with the rider.

When the wheel tilts forward 3 degrees at full acceleration, your feet senses that something is off, and by 10 degrees (or after your reaction time) you start to see the film of your life beyond your eyes, lift and woosh your hands all over in hope to have grown wings, and try to hop off in a way that will save your new jeans.

If you just barely pass the overlean limit (battery power or motor back-EMF), the above can last a few seconds (YouTube: ”ACM 45km/h top speed confirmed”).

At an actual cut-out, people constantly mention how they didn’t even have the time to lift their hands in front before hitting the ground. The wheel is instantly dead. Even if your reaction time was zero, you have zero platform to jump off from, and you were already in a forward lean to push thru wind resistance. Perhaps even accelerating on top of that.

In a cut-out you hit the ground in about half a second.

Very different occurences. But the terms are often mixed.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, svenomous said:

@Planemo, I think you're right that in most cases where people overlean, a "cut-out" is not what's happening.

I'm glad I am not the only one.

To be honest I find having discussions like this terribly difficult on the forum. People go off on all tangents, talking about respecting the wheels limits, how there is only so much power, only so much battery, dont lean heavily when near top speed, learn how the wheel works etc etc. and seem to miss/avoid the actual point in question.

I know how to respect a wheel, I havent fallen from an overlean yet and I know not to take the pi$$ when I am already motoring on the thing but I was simply trying to find out why a wheel should shut down just because it cant spin any faster. Point being, a Tesla car doesnt just turn off the entire propulsion system when it reaches top speed.

I totally get that an euc would lose its ability to balance (hence initiate an overlean), but not shut down.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Nils said:

The rider commented on the YT video saying "92% of battery and speed about 40-42kmh" FWIW.

Good info. Well, that's near the upper limits for the Z10. That speed is the approximate tilt-back speed at 80-percent battery.

2 hours ago, Nils said:

The rider commented on the YT video saying "92% of battery and speed about 40-42kmh" FWIW.

Well then, it really was an overlean! Case closed. Thanks!

I would have guessed he crossed the grass at no more than 30kph from the video.

• Like 2

@meepmeepmayer, it certainly looked like 30kph, this guy should get himself a proper wheel, If he wants to ride like that. 

Edited by ED209
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Planemo said:

but I was simply trying to find out why a wheel should shut down just because it cant spin any faster.

Because there is no reason not to shut down.

If the wheel is at its limits or already tilted forwards enough very close to its limits, it's already too late. The point is: the rider will fall, no way around it. I see two arguments for switching it off then:

• To protect the electronics from possibly being damaged by some extra spikes.
  • To not add more energy to what is already a guaranteed crash.
    Imagine leaning forward heavily at top speed. You know you will fall, the wheel can't catch up. But the wheel just goes on blindly and adds another 5kph to your speed while you're in limbo. Not good! You crash at faster speed. Maybe it even pushes you, grating along the ground in super unlucky circumstances. And right after you have fallen, maybe it runs you over for extra humiliation:D

So a wheel should relatively quickly switch off at the earliest point it knows it's already too late. That only makes sense. [Whether the specific manufacturer's implementation of this is good or too conservative or ... is another question entirely, but the principle stands.]

No point in investing in a doomed endeavour. My interpretation. Maybe there are other technological reasons.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Smoother said:

I'm a King Song rider and I don't think I ride as aggressively as an advanced Gotway rider, but not for the reasons Marty gives.  I ride more conservatively because I am petrified of King Songs agressive tilt back*

Holy shit, yes, thisssss! Back when I was on my 16s, i went on a group ride. 50km ride for the first time. We had a charge break and all, but coming back onto that final stretch, my battery was at 23%. Lowest it had ever been. I had already slowed down a lot in anticipation of it starting to tilt, just no one told me it was going to try to kill me itself. I was riding around 20kmph and accelerated up to i think 25kmph and it just shot into a tiltback EXTREMELY hard. I wasn't pushing hard, i didnt lean into it, it didnt gradually tilt, matching my acceleration, nope, just ripped me backwards. It scared the hell out of me and almost threw me backwards off the wheel. My heart damn near exploded. I never want to feel tiltback again, haha. 

• Like 2

Well, wow.  I left the thread yesterday and have come back to a lot of new posts that have mostly decreased my level of understanding of the technology factors, due to contradictions.  I think I'll just stop trying to say anything about BMS, mainboard, torque, etc., and just fall back on what is (I believe) not debatable: a self-balancing wheel must stay under the rider; a rider whose CG is in front of or behind the wheel's CG forces the wheel to move to maintain equilibrium, which is how we get the graceful glide of EUC riding; a wheel cannot decide what speed it goes at, as that speed is determined by the force vectors involved, and is always equal to exactly what will keep the wheel in equilibrium; a wheel's ability to "stay under" a rider is limited by several technical factors that have been discussed on this thread; when a wheel's ability to stay under a rider is exceeded, the immediate result is loss of equilibrium and a very graceless fall.  So: whether it's due to torque limits, battery percentages, power spikes like bumps/holes/ruts, or limitations of mainboard power components, one should appreciate that fundamentally an EUC in failure mode will dump the rider, unlike an inherently stable vehicle with more wheels, which can continue right at the edge of failure or coast to a gentle stop from a failure.  So: be respectful and cautious, have some sense of where a wheel's "edge of envelope" lies, and don't assume the wheel safety features will save you if you're being aggressive enough in your riding.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I agree with @Planemo, I wonder if these wheels are designed properly too. In my mind balance, acceleration, and speed are three separate performance attributes that should be independent, with the priority going to balance (level pedals). If a rider leaning forward is nothing more than an input telling the wheel to accelerate, shouldn't there be a safe predetermined limit of speed(rotation of the wheel) where any further input telling speed to increase would simply be ignored, with a greater focus on balance rather than matching faster acceleration. If my wheel was controlled with a remote like an eBoard instead of leaning, where I simply pressed a button for acceleration, would the wheel accelerate too fast or reach too high a speed simply by pressing the button? If so, would that be poor engineering or me pressing the button incorrectly?! 

I know the wheel can adjust its pedal angles independently from the riders input (KS sharp tiltback), so spinning the wheel slower while maintaining level pedals should be possible. There does not seem to be any need for fast dips, cut-offs, over-leans or even sharp tiltbacks. This problem will definitely be solved in future wheels, as there is simply too much guesswork with safe operation of modern wheels. Riding one of these things at speed is more akin to piloting an aircraft than any other device with a wheel. Whats my speed? How fast am I accelerating? What battery level am I at? What's the slope of this hill? How hot is the weather? How old is my wheel/battery pack? Whats my PSI? What temperature is my mainboard and motor wires? What firmware am I running? How windy is it? Is it raining? Am I restricted from riding here...

1 hour ago, kasenutty said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I much prefer tiltback to tiltforth. 

I don't want tilt back or forth. I just ride within the safety margins and monitor my battery level, lol. No tilts for me, this aint a seesaw. 

• Like 1

Watching the clip, there were other risky moves: going from dirt across thick grass and back onto sidewalk at a shallow angle. Grass can hide sand, holes, sprinklers, bumps, and it's uneven in thickness. The level of the dirt can be lower than the cement and it's hard to tell, so there could be a lip getting back onto the cement. Hitting the lip at a shallow angle could cause the wheel to skid sideways. Grass can be wet, especially at night. I wouldn't be too cavalier about crossing a patch of grass at speed, at night.

Edited by erk1024
  • Like 2

On 5/27/2019 at 3:52 PM, Marty Backe said:

It's amazing the lack of knowledge that I continue to see out there on how our wheels work and their limitations. 

I have always had a deep respect for Marty's opinions and precise technical knowledge of eucs as well as his focus on security and even his conservative riding style even though I prefer, as he usually calls it, a more aggressive way of riding. Once again I agree with his assessment of over-lean as the main cause of the cut-off, not so much the idea that the lack of knowledge or recklessness not respecting euc limitations as the reason for suffering cut-offs. What I am trying to say is that no matter how much theoretical information we have, sometimes it is necessary to experience this issue to truly understand it, or at least get a better understanding. In this case it seems the rider isn't going fast enough to cause such a cut-off but one has to take into consideration the amp peaks and as Marty explained very well, he was accelerating hard already moving fast with the wheel probably still bouncing around some after landing on the concrete again, as well as the riders weight!

I'm no expert in voltages, currents, battery power, etc. I just ride fast, too fast, that's my problem. For many we are a bad example for the community, even a danger for fellow riders. I believe that it is also the raw experience of the falls and their riders and videos what allows one to go forward, even higher. I ride a hacked Z10 (limited to 61kmh) in traffic every day and whenever I can I run speed laps in a controlled environment. Maybe I've been lucky with my falls but I'm not afraid of falling. Of course a high speed crash can be fatal but as most of us have found out, trying to not hit a small kid or a stupid fall against a curb at 10kmh cause the worst injuries. The Z10 like most eucs works with something similar to the 80% gotway power limit: near the speed/torque limit, amp peaks (either by bouncing off of bump or/and overleaning will cause TEMPORARY cut-offs! Only crossing these limits can one understand what a cutoff really is and the performance of our wheel, always different. Not only the "usual" cutoffs, far away from the absolute high speed when re-accelerating or after obstacles/amp peaks - the wheel remains in a "safe" speed zone - sometimes even unnoticeable (we hold the pothole accountable for what was really a cutoff), but even the major ones caused by still being in a "slight" overlean when crossing the max speed. After the cut-off the Z10 comes back to life as soon as it feels all parameters are under certain values again. That means that if we can anticipate with our riding posture (more kidney leaning), remain calm taking weight off the pedals but keeping tension in our legs and "riding" the moment, a fall CAN be avoided. I have also the logs of a cut-off after re-leaning at 60kmh, dropping instantly down to around 46kmh before I felt the pedals come back to life and miraculously staying on. 

My only intention is protest the sometimes condescending attitude towards the lets call them more adventurous risk takers and acknowledge the practical information they can bring to the table with what seems at first only a bad or unruly example. Maybe risking my ass I can also help someone come out smiling, that I can bet you, after knowing that cutoffs don't always have to end with a faceplant and actually recover from one.

2019_05_19_18_09_01 cutoff.csv

• Like 3