KingSong 16X 1554Wh 2200W 16*3in (Released July 2019)

Jean eRide.ie Community

7 hours ago, Unventor said:

This kinda entriqued me,, I read on EcoDrifs webpage that KS16x will have break lights (not really new), but also turn lights (this is pretty cool if it works).

Do you know anything about this @Jason McNeil?

The MSuper (2-1/2 years old) has had turning lights from the beginning.

That's what hand signals are for. Our hands are free, after all:thumbup: You either use those or you're standing on a turning lane. I'd say that covers 99% of situations.

46 minutes ago, Nils said:

In short, I don't see how this feature could be made to work satisfactory in an automated manner on any EUC

Not sure what you mean by "automated". The wheel does not always know if you intend to turn or not, so you would have to manually tell in some way. I also think the "turn on tilt" lights are pointless.

I always figured future better EUCs would have (much) better tilt/acceleration sensors. Then stuff like turn signals would be easy. Just use the sensor input and some signal analysis and you can read signals from your body. Tap your (left or right) thigh twice in quick succession for a turn signal on that side. Left-right for lights, right-left for the bell. Clap your hands, purr, burp, whatever - the wheel can distinguish it and react in some way you set up. It could even read your heartbeat and warn you of a heart attack after an especially tricky situation:D

The principle in action. If the sensors were good enough to can detect such stuff, you have tons of virtual buttons that can do all kinds of stuff. (In the mean time, one could imagine a phone app that reacts to different taps on your phone (while it's in your pocket) and sends commands to the wheel accordingly).

1 hour ago, Nils said:

Did they work well though? If the lights are just activated by lean, it would seem they would turn on every now and then (e.g. when carving), or as @scotchtape pointed out only after the turn is initiated. Turning lights,  in order to actually be useful, would need to be 1) very visually distinctive, like the ones on a car and 2) manually activated so that you could give signal well in advance while still driving straight or what not (one's fellow riders in the traffic need time to both see it and process it). In short, I don't see how this feature could be made to work satisfactory in an automated manner on any EUC, and it frankly seems somewhat like an anti-feature to me if implemented in this way.

The MSuper and MSX "turning" lights are a gimmick of course. I agree with you. If KingSong has "turning" lights I assume it'll be the same basic implementation. Lean to the left and the left ring lights will blink.

My post was made to clarify that whatever KingSong is doing in this regards was already done my Gotway 2+ years ago :)  They are both of questionable value, as you've said.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

That's what hand signals are for. Our hands are free, after all:thumbup: You either use those or you're standing on a turning lane. I'd say that covers 99% of situations.

Agreed, hand signals are good and I use them all the time, not  necessarily as effective in the dark though.

Not sure what you mean by "automated". The wheel does not always know if you intend to turn or not, so you would have to manually tell in some way. I also think the "turn on tilt" lights are pointless.

I think we're in agreement there then :P This line of conversation sprung from the description of the 16X having turning lights, which as you noted seems to be tied to the lean of the wheel, which I'd consider useless in that case (and presumably you agree then).

I always figured future better EUCs would have (much) better tilt/acceleration sensors. Then stuff like turn signals would be easy. Just use the sensor input and some signal analysis and you can read signals from your body. Tap your (left or right) thigh twice in quick succession for a turn signal on that side. Left-right for lights, right-left for the bell. Clap your hands, purr, burp, whatever - the wheel can distinguish it and react in some way you set up. It could even read your heartbeat and warn you of a heart attack after an especially tricky situation:D

Yeah, I like your idea, and it would be awesome if it worked. But.. where others see solutions I see problems - don't need to turn on some light just because I'm scratching myself after all :)Some kind of remote would be nice though, for controlling (proper) turning lights, a functional (proper volume) bell and lights.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Nils said:

don't need to turn on some light just because I'm scratching myself after all :)

I believe that's just a matter of doing the detection well enough. I don't think it's hard technologically (if you have the right sensors). You could literally train your wheel to recognize a movement by repeating until the distinction is good enough.

6 minutes ago, Nils said:

Some kind of remote would be nice though

That's kind of un-EUC-ish, though:mellow: And not too far away from just using an app, which is suboptimal. Hands free, no remote!

• Like 1

Apparently KS posted first batch is soon to go into production soon. 😏

But exactly what the KS employee ment by soon... 🤔

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 8:11 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

I believe that's just a matter of doing the detection well enough. I don't think it's hard technologically (if you have the right sensors). You could literally train your wheel to recognize a movement by repeating until the distinction is good enough.

That's kind of un-EUC-ish, though:mellow: And not too far away from just using an app, which is suboptimal. Hands free, no remote!

Your faith in current technology surpasses mine, hence my caveman suggestion - I agree the idea of it responding automagically would be way cooler :)

2 hours ago, Unventor said:

Apparently KS posted first batch is soon to go into production soon. 😏

But exactly what the KS employee ment by soon... 🤔

I hope ‘soon’ means next week. I’ll gladly pay for expedited shipping @Jason McNeil! 🙏

On 5/31/2019 at 2:01 PM, Marty Backe said:

The MSuper and MSX "turning" lights are a gimmick of course. I agree with you. If KingSong has "turning" lights I assume it'll be the same basic implementation. Lean to the left and the left ring lights will blink.

Implementing an Adaptive Swiveling Headlight into Kingsong’s new16X is very plausible. If you recall this headlight technology was first introduced by the Tucker Automobile Company in 1948. 

48010109768_7f975f456b_b.jpg

The current version of this technology. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Implementing an Adaptive Swiveling Headlight into Kingsong’s new16X is very plausible. If you recall this headlight technology was first introduced by the Tucker Automobile Company in 1948. 

48010109768_7f975f456b_b.jpg

The current version of this technology. 

My new Volvo XC40 has that.

10 minutes ago, stephen said:

Got these from another forum supposed to be the final build

@stephen certainly does look like the final build, as they are real photos and not renders. Was there anymore info on the "other" forum that you spotted these???

Just now, Sketch said:

No tail light added I see.  The ring lights are the brake lights?

Looks like that will be the case, King Song obviously borrowing GotWay's implementation from the original Tesla ring light options!!!

5 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

hmmm.. pretty ugly if im being honest.. will have to wait to see it in person but not what i was hoping for lol

I have to agree.  Not my first choice.  I have a deposit in on one of these, but not opposed to switching over to another wheel.  I really hope the performance is outstanding.  If not, I may need to consider one of my other options.  Looking forward to seeing Marty and others get their hands on the demo unit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stephen said:

My opinions:

1. Looks pretty thicc.. Not elegantly slender like the 18XL. I got an ACM vibes from yester year because the thickness of it..

2. They remove the rear brake light??

3. Did the LED ring only on the bottom half now? I'm pretty sure the LED lights goes all the way to the top before..

4. Why orange accent on the mudguard? Reflective white looks so much better!

Edited by Kens
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, stephen said:

IMG-5578-1-wm.jpg
IMG-5574-1-wm.jpg
IMG-5592-1-wm.jpg
IMG-5582-1-wm.jpg
IMG-5607-1-wm.jpg
IMG-5605-1-wm.jpg
IMG-5566-1-wm.jpg
IMG-5568-1-wm.jpg

I love this! So glad they listened and changed the color of the side panels! 

Wheel looks rough and mean. I’m digging the stealth look. 

I would have DIY-ed the wheel to look like this anyway, love my wheels to be as black as possible. 

• Like 2