KingSong 16X 1554Wh 2200W 16*3in (Released July 2019)

Jean eRide.ie Community

3 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

Now we know GPS is inaccurate by 6% - excellent work 😎

@stephenbruh, that's the longest image of all time - of all time. RIP thumbs.

:roflmao:  Yeah, maybe a little image scaling would have worked best with this post :D

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

Now we know GPS is inaccurate by 6% - excellent work 😎

@stephenbruh, that's the longest image of all time - of all time. RIP thumbs.

I thought I'd share the whole screen so you could see everything rather than just the speed graph😁😁

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

:roflmao:  Yeah, maybe a little image scaling would have worked best with this post :D

How's that work lol, i just screen shot it with phone 🤪 i promise i won't do anymore .. Just don't quote the post lol or it will be a long thread😁😁

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Get a GPS Speedometer app for your phone.

You do know that both KingSong and Gotway speeds are usually about ~10% off, right? I haven't tested the 16X, but most other wheels are incorrect. So 25-mph is actually closer to ~22-mph.

16x has the same problem.  Those apps are not accurate at all.  They always show a faster speed!  

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, stephen said:

How's that work lol, i just screen shot it with phone 🤪 i promise i won't do anymore .. Just don't quote the post lol or it will be a long thread😁😁

Just "Resize" the image - 50% is a good starting value.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Really? I suppose if the 16X existed in a vacuum (no other competitors, including the 18XL) and we were in 2016, yeah, the 16X would be fantastic.

So you're on a 40-mile ride and after ~20-miles you're limited to the low-20's???

Given all the other wheels out there (including other KingSong models), this 1.06 behavior is lame and worthy of labeling the 16X as a Intermediate Wheel. Advance riders need not apply.

No, I've tested 1.06 and don't find the warnings I get at 24 mph @ 40% annoying because I don't tend to push it above 25 mph generally at full power.

I mean ultimately you are arguing about a few miles per hour, the difference between say 28 and 24, - giving up 4 mph for a safety margin is a no brainer.   Hell even if it it was 20 mph, I would not find it an issue as a trade off for safety.    20 mph is still more than enough to get seriously hurt, and frankly I rather have the power reserve for hitting an unseen pot hole and staying upright than risking a break or worse... That seems a fair trade off for me. 

Edited by Mike Paolini
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, chrisjunlee said:

In my experience, a pothole big enough to do any harm tends to be very seen-able.

Like saying "I ride slow so I can have enough time to react to an unseen big blaring red fire truck"

And yet, arguably the most experienced ride among us busted a bone and posted about it....

And it would not have to be that big to cause a failure to balance at speed without a reserve frankly.

(I can't believe we are arguing this frankly given the engineers telling us what is what.  Just go by a distance or speed unit).

18 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I've been commenting for a long time now that I'm not a fast rider. But I've been quantifying that as meaning I prefer to max out near 25mph. I've been very consistent with that message.

When I say fast, I'm thinking of the guys that like to ride 30+ mph.

I broke my shoulder going ~18mph. Does that mean I don't want to ride faster than 18mph now? Nope.

Frankly, any wheel that can't maintain 25-mph speeds over the majority of its operating range is not a performance wheel. I thought the 16X was a performance wheel.

If the 16X was marketed from day one as a performance wheel above 50-percent battery I'd be totally OK with that. People still buy V8's. Fantastic. To each their own. But to convert a performance wheel to an intermediate wheel after I've purchased it, is just wrong. People should be pissed.

Marty are you aware that gotway started selling the updated Nikolas with the new 21700 battery cells and internal boards?  I wonder if they'll be faster. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike Paolini said:

I can feel myself become airborne in the 20's 

I'm with you - on my Haibike (eBike) I found that right around 23/24 mph was the sweet spot, I felt like I was really moving fast, could contend with traffic, etc.  Sometimes the situation called for for higher speeds but because of the final gear I could only get around 28 to 30 mph with effort (crazy-fast cadence) but my record was 38mph.  

Still waiting on my order which will be my first wheel ever, this forum has me on the edge of my seat, lol.  But yes, I have a feeling I'll be happy with average speeds of 20 to 24mph but we'll see...  It will be my sole method of transportation, I've been on foot, city hire bike and bus for a little more than a month now since the Haibike was stolen,... can't wait!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, stephen said:

It's actually gone from 31mph right down to 25% then throttling, now its 25mph at 60% battery and then 20mph at 50% battery and lower and lower etc That's  a huge difference and hek of a saftey margin

You're getting throttling at >50% battery capacity? I thought throttling started at 74V, is that not what you see, is it even worse ?

9 hours ago, fryman said:

Sure, if you ignore the tilt back or warning beeps.  My point is that the 16X should be safe with lower throttling and currently Kingsong is saying it is not.

There's more to this, what are they hiding? if it doesn't change they have found something wrong maybe in the firmware or hardware 🤔

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Get a GPS Speedometer app for your phone.

You do know that both KingSong and Gotway speeds are usually about ~10% off, right? I haven't tested the 16X, but most other wheels are incorrect. So 25-mph is actually closer to ~22-mph.

When I was running strava in the back ground, the top speed matched the KS16X top speed.  Was accurate I felt.  I know the distance they count on the app is way off.

• Like 3

On 9/2/2019 at 8:18 PM, US69 said:

The 16X is technical capable of doing 50kmh down to 66Volt....

BUT...when using that Low speed as a “throttling” stop, there is no safety margin left at allfor very heavy riders and very agressive accelerations.

So as it is now:

The speed throttling is implemented STARTING on 50%(74Volt) and then going down to 61Volt(0%) ...reaching 25kmh on 0%.

this means in theorie that 45kmh are reached at about 70-72Volt, 40kmh at 66-68, 35kmh at about 68-66Volt, 30kmh at 64-62Volt!

I don't think anyone is getting these speeds tbh

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I spilt some of my drink on this one :roflmao:

😁😁😁

Edited by stephen

1 hour ago, stephen said:

It's actually gone from 31mph right down to 25% then throttling, now its 25mph at 60% battery and then 20mph at 50% battery and lower and lower etc That's  a huge difference and hek of a saftey margin

This is incorrect. I clocked it at 24 mph with a GPS at 40% battery before I got the verbal warning.

People seem to taking numbers and deflating them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CampDylan said:

I'm with you - on my Haibike (eBike) I found that right around 23/24 mph was the sweet spot, I felt like I was really moving fast, could contend with traffic, etc.  Sometimes the situation called for for higher speeds but because of the final gear I could only get around 28 to 30 mph with effort (crazy-fast cadence) but my record was 38mph.  

Still waiting on my order which will be my first wheel ever, this forum has me on the edge of my seat, lol.  But yes, I have a feeling I'll be happy with average speeds of 20 to 24mph but we'll see...  It will be my sole method of transportation, I've been on foot, city hire bike and bus for a little more than a month now since the Haibike was stolen,... can't wait!

You are going to love it.

• Like 1