New GotWay Nikola 17''

EcoDrift

9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I must say, these pictures make the wheel look very appealing.

Although the author says it's basically a Tesla, I know people who would have loved to put a 3-inch tire on the Tesla. So a 3-inch tire and 1600wh battery is a big deal for Tesla fans.

Agreed.

I personally wasn't a fan of the Tesla design (minus the spinning LED's), but love the Nikola look, provided they blacken out the borders.

All this wheel is missing is a stand mount and extra charge port. 

Really liking the direction Gotway is going, especially considering the lack of design innovation happening with the competition (minus Ninebot)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Agreed.

I personally wasn't a fan of the Tesla design (minus the spinning LED's), but love the Nikola look, provided they blacken out the borders.

All this wheel is missing is a stand mount and extra charge port. 

Really liking the direction Gotway is going, especially considering the lack of design innovation happening with the competition (minus Ninebot)

I hope Gotway discovers that the consensus is, "the white borders have got to go".

I'm not a huge fan of the Inmotion trolley handle but I will say that the video which showed it in operation made it look much more substantial and better engineered than the floppy Inmotion version.

P.S. Since I have about a dozen Gotway chargers, it would indeed be great to have two charge ports :thumbup:

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Upvote 2

I wonder if they are ever going to incorporate some stronger metal frame pieces like the magnesium "spine" on the Ninebot One E+?  That plus the dual layered, easily replaceable shells just seemed like a perfect idea on the Ninebot for durability.  One crash and my Tesla side panel screw mount busted off.  It's nice that Gotway are going with the brass inserts for machine screws, but one step further might be a lightweight metal subframe of some sort.  Those white accent rings would be cool if they were in a gun metal grey and made of alloy.

I wonder how Rockwheel's metal tubular frame pet project is coming along... Now that's going a little over the @RockyTop!

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

We"re witnessing the first steps of Marty's wheel addiction anti-recovery here folks!

Step 1: It's ugly. I wouldn't buy it for $500.

Step 2: It looks quite appealing in that lighting.

Step 3: The specs are good!

Well sometime a design might catch one on first look. But it can grow on you...this simpler the design is the easier it tend to catch on. If you then add practical functions into the design then opinion can change.

24 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

We"re witnessing the first steps of Marty's wheel addiction anti-recovery here folks!

Step 1: It's ugly. I wouldn't buy it for $500.

Step 2: It looks quite appealing in that lighting.

Step 3: The specs are good!

:laughbounce2:

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I wonder if they are ever going to incorporate some stronger metal frame pieces like the magnesium "spine" on the Ninebot One E+?  That plus the dual layered, easily replaceable shells just seemed like a perfect idea on the Ninebot for durability.  One crash and my Tesla side panel screw mount busted off.  It's nice that Gotway are going with the brass inserts for machine screws, but one step further might be a lightweight metal subframe of some sort.  Those white accent rings would be cool if they were in a gun metal grey and made of alloy.

I wonder how Rockwheel's metal tubular frame pet project is coming along... Now that's going a little over the @RockyTop!

Sadly, I have no new info about the Rockwheel project. My guess is that they're bloody busy right now with X-mas just around the corner. I'm going to ask around in January, to see if the project is still on track. While it seems like a bit of a pilot, testing concepts like suspension and metal frames, it is still refreshing to see them pushing their design outside the rather narrow conceptual box we're used to.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

Step 4: This wheel would fill a gap in my fleet.

Step 5: Jason is sending me a beta test wheel soon.

Step 6: It's a game changer (but there are a few issues)!

Step 7: The final release version will fix the major issues.

Step 8: My personal wheel will arrive in a month.

Step 9: The delivery date has pushed out, but Jason says he's expecting them before next Christmas.

Step 10: It arrived this morning. I've already put 300 miles on it.

Step 11: You either get it or you don't.

Step 12: I face planted at 18 mph :whistling:

I particularly like number 10 & 11 :thumbup:

9 hours ago, Jon Stern said:

Step 4: This wheel would fill a gap in my fleet.

Step 5: Jason is sending me a beta test wheel soon.

Step 6: It's a game changer (but there are a few issues)!

Step 7: The final release version will fix the major issues.

Step 8: My personal wheel will arrive in a month.

Step 9: The delivery date has pushed out, but Jason says he's expecting them before next Christmas.

Step 10: It arrived this morning. I've already put 300 miles on it.

Step 11: You either get it or you don't.

Step 12: I face planted at 18 mph :whistling:

That was harsh 😆. As for the white part...it is a build in diy project with black spray paint mod. 

6 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I like the white parts. Makes it look less boring than pure black.

Also, those ring lights are mesmerizing and look fantastic. Leave it to Gotway to do something right:D (ok, the full ring lights and board/mosfets for now, getting there, getting there...)

Now they just need to put more batteries into this huge shell. The Nikola might be a great wheel to mod for range (I'd do it if I had the money). 3000+Wh here we come!

Maybe golden...to match @Marty Backes penny themed wheel.

• Like 1

FYI, one of the Korean Naver EUC café forum admins (think he's a dealer too(?)) is reporting that the Nikola design is not Final yet, and that the ecodrift demo is a 1 month period, which puts the earliest release sometime January 2019, more likely February with the usual shipping timeframes.

They're also claiming the unicorn trolley when folded down will doubly serve as a mudguard, but not sure how true that is, considering that the ecodrift pics show it doesn't extend that far down, plus all the Gotway egg shell designs are slightly oversized enough not to need a mudguard.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

FYI, one of the Korean Naver EUC café forum admins (think he's a dealer too(?)) is reporting that the Nikola design is not Final yet, and that the ecodrift demo is a 1 month period, which puts the earliest release sometime January 2019, more likely February with the usual shipping timeframes.

They're also claiming the unicorn trolley when folded down will doubly serve as a mudguard, but not sure how true that is, considering that the ecodrift pics show it doesn't extend that far down, plus all the Gotway egg shell designs are slightly oversized enough not to need a mudguard.

It’s veru difficult to be sure when you work with gotway, but January is it true. 

I don’t know final release it is or not. But gotway says: it’s final release. But we see few bad decisions in Nikola... we already made report to factory.. but gotway cannot change all in this wheels, so basically view we can understand on our wheel.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, EcoDrift said:

It’s veru difficult to be sure when you work with gotway, but January is it true. 

I don’t know final release it is or not. But gotway says: it’s final release. But we see few bad decisions in Nikola... we already made report to factory.. but gotway cannot change all in this wheels, so basically view we can understand on our wheel.

Ah, ok thanks for confirming all this!

15 minutes ago, EcoDrift said:

Who can help us translate an article about Nicola to English language? At this moment language is Russian 😅

Я не говорю по русски, but if fixing Google Translated Russian into natural-sounding American English is enough,....

Edited by houseofjob

8 hours ago, Mrd777 said:

The Nikola just doest seem like enough of an impressive upgrade to get rid of my Tesla. I still love the Tesla..

Yes, a 3" tire,

56% more battery (nice)

-a Silly Inmotion handle,  and circus "look at me" lights.  uggh. :efefa6edcf:

Not a very attractive wheel

Better board with the glorious TO-247 mosfets! Best (=safest) board in existence.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Jason is working on getting one for me to test so we can have some English speaking commentary on this new wheel :dribble:

Nobody sellin' wheels quite like Marty Backe :efef015fe0: See MCM5. Jason definitely knows what he is doing.

Has anyone ever thought of a subscription model for EUCs? Get the latest models automatically! You're close, Marty.

• Like 3

Considering the cost, complexity and work to redesign a plastic shell not to mention timeline for release, my money’s on this being the final design.

Where’s @Cloud?  He speaks Russian.  Maybe he could translate?

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Considering the cost, complexity and work to redesign a plastic shell not to mention timeline for release, my money’s on this being the final design.

Where’s @Cloud?  He speaks Russian.  Maybe he could translate?

The form, probably, the colors, not so sure.

My take on the design is that the translucent plastic and the white stripe makes a generally rather nice design look a bit too busy. They should take a leaf from KS and go for matte black or matte titanium as the main color, and keep all the rest but the lights low key.

My first reaction was a bit too much like my first reaction to the first generation of iMacs: the "translucent fluorescent pastel and white blob of plastic"-look. But in this case more like a flying saucer turned sideways. :D

OTOH, the specs seem awesome and the looks will probably look spectacular live.

Edited by Scatcat
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Scatcat said:

My take on the design is that the translucent plastic and the white stripe makes a generally rather nice design look a bit too busy. They should take a leaf from KS and go for matte black or matte titanium as the main color, and keep all the rest but the lights low key.

My first reaction was a bit too much like my first reaction to the first generation of iMacs: the "translucent fluorescent pastel and white blob of plastic"-look. But in this case more like a flying saucer turned sideways. :D

OTOH, the specs seem awesome and the looks will probably look spectacular live.

The more you look at it, the less ugly it becomes, but it's still not pretty. The Tesla is the best looking wheel Gotway has made so far.

• Like 2