New GotWay Nikola 17''

1 hour ago, winterwheel said:

I'm always trying to remember how to turn off the lights when I ride the V8.

That's odd, mine stay on/off even after power on/off, until I change it again. To toggle lights, (with power on) simply hold the lift button on the handle and then press the power button.

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

That thing is huge! Nearly Monster size! Ok, maybe the lady isn't exactly 6 foot and makes it look bigger, but still... my ACM is about as tall as the USB ports or power button is high (black indentations above the light), with essentially the same tire size!

@meepmeepmayer, this has to be your next wheel, the Large shell could possibly allow you to add more batteries to wheel, judging by the shell size, 5000wh looks possible 🤔

Edited by ED209
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ED209 said:

@meepmeepmayer, this has to be your next wheel, the Large shell could possibly allow you to add more batteries to wheel, judging by the shell size, 5000wh looks possible 🤔

The thought has crossed my mind. It's a question of price, how well the shell would allow to put more standard battery packs in without many modifications, and how sturdy the shell is for offroading.

Somehow I think it's big without offering good options, but maybe that first impression is wrong.

For comparison, on the ACM or msuper, I'd have done it like this: put 2 battery packs vertically where the one battery pack is horizontally in the standard shell on each side. Extend shell upwards (with some cool fiberglass stuff) to cover the now-vertical packs, and you can add one or two packs in the middle where the handle is. So by lifting the shell only maybe 15cm, you can put 4000Wh (3885Wh) or 4800Wh (4662Wh) in (5 or 6 packs instead of the stock two). Still very compact, and very little shell modifications except the "new roof".

The thing with the Nikola is the KS/Tesla-style central battery pillar with so much wasted space at the front and back (where the 4 speakers sit on the KS wheels). You could cram in cells everywhere, but there's no big space where you could just add a regular battery pack. I'd very much prefer that. (Not sure why, maybe it's a neatness thing or the wish of a ready-made huge-battery wheel designed like this.)

Would love to see some pictures of the electronics/inside of the wheel! @EcoDrift Is one of your disassembly articles with the great pictures coming one day for the Nikola?:efefe00999::efefd0f676:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

So @US69, it sure looks like they aren't in China.

Not anymore :-)

But  believe me, it is still one of the few - if not the only-  prototype.

To my Knowledge Mass production has not started yet ... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, US69 said:

But  believe me, it is still one of the few - if not the only-  prototype.

Mass production will not be much different from this. And those shortcomings that we found here - the plant is already going to change

3 hours ago, US69 said:

Mass production has not started yet

Yes. January.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Great video, thanks! Wheel looking nice. Starting to remind me of the ACM more, with the closed shell. With non-transparent, rubberized shell parts this wheel might be very robust and not flimsy at all.

Those white highlights look great. Who are those boring people who want an all-black, boring wheel?:efee8319ab:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alex Gruzglin said:

As a fluent Russian speaker, the best part was at the end: I can only associate this wheel with this song :)

Could follow most of it using autotranslation of auto closed captioning....  but also loved the ending song, so appropriate!!

• Upvote 1

On 12/26/2018 at 9:39 AM, Nic said:

That's odd, mine stay on/off even after power on/off, until I change it again. To toggle lights, (with power on) simply hold the lift button on the handle and then press the power button.

It's the wheel I lend out for people just learning to ride, and I ride it rarely myself, so it gets reset and I don't bother to change it.

Good Video upload, towards the end of the video, just after 8 minutes, I noticed that the shell creaks alot when you press your leg against it, that would irritate me alot. The design is starting to grow on me though. 

Edited by ED209
  • Like 2

So, the GW Nikola has a handle that can guillotine your fingers off if you are not careful when folding it back down. There's no way that would ever pass any product safety test ... do the designers even have a clue about safety? Seems not. Creaky shell and too wide a handle for carry ... GW need to sack their design team and find some real talent to design their products.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, EcoDrift said:

Last news: 

- in final release will be new handle

- new pedal

- release will be in March 

What exactly does "new handle" mean?

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

They have retro-fitted a King Song trolley and handle!   :shock2:

I assume you're joking, but I don't know for sure?

• Like 1

If they could have an open spot at the top in the handle there could be made a dual carry handle that has half trolley handle / half shell.  a narrow part in the handle that would allow some room for fingers to grasp.  They might need to redesign the top part of the shell though to change the closed bridge design they have there.  Or they could make it narrow and just add a "bump" up to form a small handle that doesn't distract from the circular form of the shell.

There could be a latch at the end of the handle to secure it rather than the latch near the hinge.  That way when locked down it can be used to lift the wheel as it would be a structural support element.  Or even just shape a small carry handle at the top upwards just into the trolley handle itself. They could shape the shell down a bit to form a space for the handle. 

Let me fire up MS Paint... brb

RtBsDIo.jpg

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Yes, I was joking... Why, were you getting excited?   :roflmao:

I am amazed that i beat @Hunka Hunka Burning Love to it...

Excited...As in "teleskopic" 😏🤩

• Like 2