Jump to content

California - Mt Wilson Ride - Saturday 01Sep2018


Marty Backe
 Share

Recommended Posts

Time for me to test the Ninebot Z10 and see if it can make the 4600-foot climb to the top of Mount Wilson. This will be my fourth ascent, and it's great fun. A nice lunch awaits us at the top too :D There are a couple videos of the ride in this section of the Forum  - just look for the previous Mt Wilson ride announcements.

If anyone wants to join me, please come along. Any wheel with 1000wh battery capacity should make it (the V10F and Tesla have).

We leave at ~8am. With the ascent, lunch, and descent, expect to be having fun for about 5-hours.

Park and meet here: Google Map Pin

If nobody confirms here that they are coming, I reserve the right not to show up. So please let me know if you'll be joining me.

@nbxpq3 @Sketch @Roll Model @enigma35 @csmyers @noisycarlos @Questor @swvision  @Ando Melkonyan @captainwells @Tjtripp @Sven @unowheel

@Mushuukyou @YoshiSkySun @NBC44 @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" @Stan Onymous @Alsayyad @Marvin Ong  @HeavyGoing  @Kimosabi @zentype 

@serfy @n2eus @Williepimpin @Peter Q @Jon Sawa @Mike Hanna @maltocs @1Wheeler

@Alsayyad @who_the @Marvin Ong  @HeavyGoing  @Kimosabi @zentype @n2eus @Peter Q  @ndmcc  @Mike Hanna @Klin @MikeV @Rama Douglas @Nick McCutcheon @Mimir @Gizmo Dork @Chairman S @Shawn Johnson @JomMas @tihoa 

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been invited to take my Monster ‘92 subaru legacy wagon 4wheeling up in Azuza, but I am also on deadline for two restoration projects and I only have 3 weeks with his services til he moves to Tinnysee and says so long to California. So I may miss both opportunities.

So regrettfully I will have to postpone the V10F Mt. Wilson Overload test. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Klin said:

8AM is a tad early for me on a Saturday... Nonetheless I can't pass up an opportunity to check out the Z10 in action.

I'll set my alarm.

Yeah, I know it's early, but it's a long ride and we try to beat the hottest part of the day. The Mt Wilson ride is one of the best in Southern California.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, I know it's early, but it's a long ride and we try to beat the hottest part of the day. The Mt Wilson ride is one of the best in Southern California.

Awesome, I haven't ridden many trails as I just started riding a couple months ago, but I'm looking forward to it.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Klin said:

Awesome, I haven't ridden many trails as I just started riding a couple months ago, but I'm looking forward to it.

 

Monitor the weather, and potentially dress in layers. There's a potential for the temperature to be cold at the top. And bring plenty of water just in case. The trail has lots of shade but also miles where there's no shade from the Sun.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Monitor the weather, and potentially dress in layers. There's a potential for the temperature to be cold at the top. And bring plenty of water just in case. The trail has lots of shade but also miles where there's no shade from the Sun.

I have a friend who rides with me that would really like to come take a look at your Z10 as well but he rides an S1. Do you think there might be a chance the S1 would make the trip? :wacko:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Klin said:

I have a friend who rides with me that would really like to come take a look at your Z10 as well but he rides an S1. Do you think there might be a chance the S1 would make the trip? :wacko:

No chance. A 1000wh wheel will make the trip with just enough battery to explore a little at the top and return. There's a tiny possibility that a ~800wh wheel could make it, but probably not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Chairman S said:

Hi @Marty Backe,

I was looking at pictures of Mt. Wilson online and I see highway roads and dirt trails. Is the plan to do both?

No. We are taking the Mt Wilson Toll Road (it was a toll road in the beginning of the 20th century) to the top and back. There are videos in this section of the forum of our previous rides.

Here, I found one for you. Watch this video to see how the day will unfold

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Chairman S said:

After watching your video I assume it's the same path. I am definitely interested in meeting up.

Yes, there's only one way up. I've taken the highway back down, but that adds another 26-miles and you need at least a 1300wh wheel to make that. This ride will only be on the trail, exactly as shown in the video.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

No chance. A 1000wh wheel will make the trip with just enough battery to explore a little at the top and return. There's a tiny possibility that a ~800wh wheel could make it, but probably not.

Haha I just informed him of this and suggested he buy a new wheel if he wants to keep up with the big boys.

He wasn't too happy. :whistling:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Klin said:

Haha I just informed him of this and suggested he buy a new wheel if he wants to keep up with the big boys.

He wasn't too happy. :whistling:

:lol:

BTW, remind me what you'll be riding.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, csmyers said:

Ah shoot. I'm pending on a gig for Saturday, but if I'm not hired I'm totally there!

If I can make it I'll need to borrow a wheel, it sounds like my 820Wh ACM V1 won't quite cut it.

The ACM might, but I wouldn't put any money on it. However, something to consider is that you could probably make 80+ percent of the ride to the top, and then just turn around. The return ride will actually recharge your battery. So as long as you have ~10-percent at the top, you can actually easily make it back. So all you would miss out on is the lunch :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Chairman S said:

So do we have a few people meeting up tomorrow at 8AM? I just want to confirm as I plan to make it as long as I can get up!

Yeah, I'm gonna be there.

I usually wake up every weekday at 7am for work so I should be okay. I'll just probably take a nap or something when I get back from the ride. :efeeda4ad8:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Chairman S said:

So do we have a few people meeting up tomorrow at 8AM? I just want to confirm as I plan to make it as long as I can get up!

Oh yeah. Once I got the first confirmation (thanks @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer"), the ride is go.

A reminder, use Sun block and bring plenty of water. @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" will have the Flintstones vitamins (inside joke) :lol:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...