Being a total idiot and testing the max speed

wuppi

I'm currently typing this on my phone from a hospital bed. Just got my knee stitched (and some patches for road rash).

So earlier tonight I decided to go on a ride on my Gotway Tesla, around the neighborhood like any other evening. I know these roads pretty well and there's a few spots of smooth, quite new asphalt. I've been wondering about the actual max speed of the Tesla, as it just doesn't seem to run out of power. I've previously pushed it over 55kmh, which already started to feel iffy, but hey, I managed it so it must have more power, right?

Sudden breath of bravery came out of nowhere and I decided to do it. Make a new personal speed record – it's now or never. Obviously, that was a very bad idea, especially when the only safety gear I've acquired is a helmet. Ignoring the beeper, I pushed forward until I started to feel the pedals dip, but unfortunately that was the point of no return already. Down I went.

Judging by the injuries I sustained from my fall, I would say that I managed to roll pretty nicely. I didn't take the fall on my wrists (though I did hit my hand somewhat), but on the knees and elbows. Both my knees are pretty roughed up, other needing a single stitch. Elbows and back have some road rash but nothing major. Sprained an ankle too!

I was very lucky. And stupid. Right after the fall when checking myself and my phone up, I grabbed a screenshot from WheelLog (logging was not on). WheelLog said my top speed was 62.9kmh (, or 39 mph) which I believe is the cutoff speed. How on earth am I alive after falling at that speed with just a helmet..

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you ever feel like trying out the max speed of your wheel – don't. You'll only regret it and possibly injure or at worst kill yourself. And if you still feel like doing it – just don't. No safety gear will protect you completely at those speeds.

I don't know how my Tesla is doing, as I don't really care at the moment. I would say it's doing okay though, as I did ride it home from the site of incident. The shell is probably done for, but what wouldn't a roll of duct tape fix?

Ride safely.

Screenshot_Lawnchair_20180515-231311.png

IMG-20180516-WA0000.jpeg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, I'd guess that's true :lol:

Funnily enough, I live in a pretty small town where almost everyone has seen me ride my Tesla. The nurses were not very surprised when I showed up in the First Aid..

I'm a fellow Tesla owner and just wanted to drop in and say thanks for giving me a new top speed I can tell people this thing is capable of!

?

Glad you got off relatively unscathed, please get some pads and wrist guards, and wear them as often as you can. It's not worth it - think of all the time off riding and even being able to lead your normal life if you mess yourself up properly. I've already gotten hurt twice in three months riding here in NYC - luckily just a few (deep) bruises and road rash. I'm not planning on doing that again so I'm padded almost every time I ride now unless I'm knocking around relatively slowly and not going far. 

Glad you walked away (somewhat) with very minimal injures. Hope you recover soon and go out and buy some gear (full mesh bike jacket, knee protections gloves). Some of us learn from other peoples mistakes and others learn from their own :), (I tend to push the limit and have done few myself). My msuper hit 53 km/h., this is impressive never the less.

I won't push the wheels to the limit anymore, the consequences could be devastating.

Glad you didn't get seriously injured.  You got real lucky.  

I honestly think this is probably the best thing that could have happened to you.  You sound like you have poor judgment and wouldn't have learned otherwise.  

My mouth dropped while reading about your accident. You’re one lucky man having pulled though this without major surgical intervention. I appreciate your willingness to share your story and sincerely hope others wishing to obtain a land speed record will think twice about themselves and their family  before attempting such a stunt. Be well.

Get well soon!

8 hours ago, wuppi said:

I was very lucky. And stupid. Right after the fall when checking myself and my phone up, I grabbed a screenshot from WheelLog (logging was not on). WheelLog said my top speed was 62.9kmh (, or 39 mph) which I believe is the cutoff speed. How on earth am I alive after falling at that speed with just a helmet..

Are you sure this is the actual speed, and not your wheel spinning freely before it completely cut out?

I would say there is only one way to know. If you want to be scientifically correct, tests should be reproduced and lead to the same outcome given the same circumstances ?

Glad to hear that you're still alive!  Whoopie!  ^_^  Testing the terminal velocity of failure where torque approaches zero is one calculus problem I hope to never encounter.  To do that with minimal protection is a battle-scar inducing trip most people would prefer to avoid. 

I agree with ir_fuel that Wheellog may have recorded the spin up tire velocity before motor shut down so there may not be as much safety margin as the telemetry might suggest.  Maybe post up the speed and torque graph for further analysis. 

1 hour ago, Hatchet said:

When someone acting this dumb (sorry, my opinion) gets himself or someone else killed, we are all going to pay a price.

Yup.  While I'm glad the OP is okay, I don't feel sorry for him one bit (and I'm very sympathetic for those who crash). 

He redeems himself for still posting about his accident even though it wasn't going to elicit much sympathy.    

11 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Are you sure this is the actual speed, and not your wheel spinning freely before it completely cut out?

I was thinking the same thing. I know when I have fallen off my euc I have gotten totally crazy top speeds in the app due to the wheel being lifted from the ground and just keeping spinning and accelerating. 

By "crazy top speed" I do not mean anything totally unrealistic, but perhaps 30-40 kmph or so, and this was at the time while I was still learning and definitely did never ride faster than around 10 kmph, that way I am certain this was not my real top speed, at least not as long as I was standing upright on the pedals....

To OP: I would ask you to make sure there are no people or valuable property of others around you the next time you decide to do this. I guess I cannot prevent you from being nuts but as long as you don't involve other people or other peoples worthful stuff, it's pretty much your own call. Having said that, I wish you a quick and successful recovery! Take care.

Thank you all for your well wishes and also for the criticism.

About 24 hours after the incident, I've started to really feel the wounds I got. Cleaned my knees and took a look at the stitch – it's going to look ugly, but atleast it's still holding up. Even these quite minor injuries are going to take a couple months to heal completely. Luckily I was saved from any larger injuries by my roll, which I will say is something everyone should learn to do here to avoid wrist injuries.

What comes to the criticism, I wholeheartedly agree to (nearly) all of it. I personally am a very calm person, but everyone makes misjudgements sometimes. Unfortunately mine was a dangerous one, the lust for speed as is with most young people, but I think I got what I deserved from it. I can not blame anyone or anything but myself for this. I know this post was not going to be looked up to in this forum (I hated the Ron's Tesla video too), but I'm not here for the feel betters and get wells. I'm here to hopefully save someone else from doing the same mistake as I.

What comes to 'all of us paying the price', these accidents will always happen, there's always going to be that one wuppi who very nearly or even successfully kills theirself. Unfortunately the States, the land of the 'free' seems to be very restrictive and tends to just ban everything that can affect you negatively (yes, this is the case in many other country too, but the USA is pretty prominent here). I can only feel sorry for you, but I will not try to hide these accidents for you. You can get just as roughed up on a car, motorbike, bicycle or even on foot! Accidents will always happen, even if it's just because of stupidity. You can't fix stupid. In conclusion, my only hope is that accidents will not result in bans, but safer EUCs and sensible regulations. /ramble

WheelLog showed the speed as 62.9kmh, which likely could be from the spinning on the ground. Although my strong opinion is that the wheel will not spin on the ground any faster after a cutoff, as the vehicle is actually in the fall mode. What comes to the accuracy of the speed reporting, well.. I've logged a max speed of 850+kmh on WheelLog :lol:

I will not ride this fast again, ever. Also instead of just meaning to buy safety gear, I'll buy it. No more max speed riding, no more "I'll do with just the helmet". I actually had zero scratches on the helmet, as I did a proper roll.

Unfortunately the States, the land of the 'free' seems to be very restrictive and tends to just ban everything that can affect you negatively

Funny, we in the US get told that Europe is the place where you can't have any freedoms and every thing is banned, regulated, or over-taxed. What is this conspiracy? 

53 minutes ago, wuppi said:

Thank you all for your well wishes and also for the criticism.

About 24 hours after the incident, I've started to really feel the wounds I got. Cleaned my knees and took a look at the stitch – it's going to look ugly, but atleast it's still holding up. Even these quite minor injuries are going to take a couple months to heal completely. Luckily I was saved from any larger injuries by my roll, which I will say is something everyone should learn to do here to avoid wrist injuries.

What comes to the criticism, I wholeheartedly agree to (nearly) all of it. I personally am a very calm person, but everyone makes misjudgements sometimes. Unfortunately mine was a dangerous one, the lust for speed as is with most young people, but I think I got what I deserved from it. I can not blame anyone or anything but myself for this. I know this post was not going to be looked up to in this forum (I hated the Ron's Tesla video too), but I'm not here for the feel betters and get wells. I'm here to hopefully save someone else from doing the same mistake as I.

What comes to 'all of us paying the price', these accidents will always happen, there's always going to be that one wuppi who very nearly or even successfully kills theirself. Unfortunately the States, the land of the 'free' seems to be very restrictive and tends to just ban everything that can affect you negatively (yes, this is the case in many other country too, but the USA is pretty prominent here). I can only feel sorry for you, but I will not try to hide these accidents for you. You can get just as roughed up on a car, motorbike, bicycle or even on foot! Accidents will always happen, even if it's just because of stupidity. You can't fix stupid. In conclusion, my only hope is that accidents will not result in bans, but safer EUCs and sensible regulations. /ramble

WheelLog showed the speed as 62.9kmh, which likely could be from the spinning on the ground. Although my strong opinion is that the wheel will not spin on the ground any faster after a cutoff, as the vehicle is actually in the fall mode. What comes to the accuracy of the speed reporting, well.. I've logged a max speed of 850+kmh on WheelLog :lol:

I will not ride this fast again, ever. Also instead of just meaning to buy safety gear, I'll buy it. No more max speed riding, no more "I'll do with just the helmet". I actually had zero scratches on the helmet, as I did a proper roll.

I'm confused. What exactly is banned here, relative to the discussion at hand? With very few exceptions there are zero laws regarding EUC usage here in the States. Regarding recreation I'm having a hard time thinking of what's banned?

We have some stupid laws regarding seat belts and helmets but we're pretty much free to go out and kill ourselves in a multitude of sporting activities if we so wish :unsure:

1 hour ago, kasenutty said:

Funny, we in the US get told that Europe is the place where you can't have any freedoms and every thing is banned, regulated, or over-taxed. What is this conspiracy? 

I can't help laughing when reading this. 

You have not felt the over-taxed yet...look up tax system of Denmark. Yet Danes show up to be amongst the happiest nation in many international polles done in many years now. 

4 hours ago, Hatchet said:

When someone acting this dumb (sorry, my opinion) gets himself or someone else killed, we are all going to pay a price.

I am 120% with you on this. This behavoiur posted here is why it is hard to get EUCs road laws approwed so an EUC becomes usefull instead of a kids toy.

@Marty Backe despite you are allowed to kill yourself as you stated, far from all are smart enought to succed despite trying real hard, hench the tread here.

I like how the OP thinks his "roll skillz" is why he wasn't badly injured.  The ego is a funny thing.  

Also, don't say anything that can be perceived as even remotely critical about 'Murica. :efef585a74:

8 hours ago, kasenutty said:

It's those "flat-earthers!"

It's their way of starting you thinking that everything you know may not be quite right... And then they have their foot in the door...

5 hours ago, mezzanine said:

I like how the OP thinks his "roll skillz" is why he wasn't badly injured.  The ego is a funny thing.  

Also, don't say anything that can be perceived as even remotely critical about 'Murica. :efef585a74:

Do you have another explanation for his lack of injuries? I've personally taken the fall countless of times, sometimes with a completely unexpected stop at 35 km/h, yet I've never sustained a wrist injury, a blow to my head or anything more than rashes. Thinking back at these accidents, I've always instinctively rolled onto my side / back, which is where most of my scars from rashes are.

Feel free to change my mind about this, but I'm a firm believer that knowing how to fall / roll well enough that it becomes instinct is the best thing you can do for safety. If you take the fall with your hands, even with wrist guards that energy has to go somewhere up the arm. Why not have a more robust part of your skeleton take that energy instead?

Hopefully you'll have a fast recovery @wuppi!

Playing devil's advocate here, but at 48 kph it is darn windy making it somewhat hard to hear warning beeps.  Turning/tilting your head sideways helps a bit, but then it's hard to see where you're going.  Deactivating tilt-back might be okay for some, but there's nothing between you and the pavement than what beeps you can hear or choose to ignore and what you guess is the wheel's upper limit. 

To put it a different way, would a parachutist test the survivability of pulling his chute at the very last second while falling from 12,000 feet and disabling/ignoring his altimeter?  It might be a thrill, but it's probably not a good idea!  Getting hurt in the process garners a mix of sympathy but also disdain for taking that risk in the first place from people who respect the sport and who follow proper technique. 

In a cup is half full world, it's fortunate that @wuppi didn't receive more serious injuries like @Rehab1 and @dmethvin.  He learned his lesson the hard way so before we all jump too much all over him, keep in mind that these falls can indeed happen to the best of us for various reasons. 

What I find unfortunate is the amount of down time away from riding @wuppi will need to endure so that's a punishment right there.  Pro riders suit up with protective gear because they don't want to miss out on the opportunity to ride by being sidelined by injuries.  If there's something simple I can put on to help me stay in the game I'm all for it.  The thrill of riding on one electric wheel is so worth it.  There are no guarantees against injury with one wheel, of course. 

@dmethvinwhen do you think you'll be riding again? 

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

What exactly is banned here, relative to the discussion at hand?

First thing to come in mind is skateboarding, which I've heard is banned on the streets in many states. I suppose my view is quite biased, since there's so many states with different laws and regulations. This view is enforced by all the talk about accidents going to be the cause of bans. Anyway, the point really was that accidents happen no matter what and talking about them is important.

7 hours ago, mezzanine said:

I don't understand why you're poking at me, since I don't mean to boast or make it about me. Rolling is the only way to (relatively) safely disperse the potential energy you have in your body at these speeds. It is taught in parkour, martial arts and, as far as I know, in extreme sports involving bikes and motorbikes, to the point where it comes instinctively.

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Playing devil's advocate here, but at 48 kph it is darn windy making it somewhat hard to hear warning beeps.

This is a very concerning issue and I've noticed it too. I have my WheelLog alert at the beeps to have atleast some physical notification about the travelling speed, but the vibration is too subtle. Next non-intrusive safety feature for EUCs could be vibrating pedals (doubling as a foot massager for long rides) :P

3 hours ago, wuppi said:

I don't understand why you're poking at me, since I don't mean to boast or make it about me. Rolling is the only way to (relatively) safely disperse the potential energy you have in your body at these speeds. It is taught in parkour, martial arts and, as far as I know, in extreme sports involving bikes and motorbikes, to the point where it comes instinctively.

Put your money where your mouth is and use your rolling as your form of protection for the next year.  Post back here after your next high speed crash.  Flow has shown that he's been successful rolling.  You guys don't need helmets or wrist guards because you're able to direct where you impact the ground.  

17 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

@dmethvinwhen do you think you'll be riding again? 

Don't tell my wife but I've been riding a bit already, almost 50 miles this month.

The MCL is healed and the ACL ain't doing nothing since it's totally torn but can be fixed whenever. Some people don't even get it fixed but I think I will. The main problem remaining is the meniscus, they need to go in and trim it up to reduce the irritation. I'm starting a new job next month so I need to figure out how to do that and get surgery plus PT. 

On 5/16/2018 at 6:06 PM, Marty Backe said:

I'm confused. What exactly is banned here, relative to the discussion at hand? With very few exceptions there are zero laws regarding EUC usage here in the States. Regarding recreation I'm having a hard time thinking of what's banned?

We have some stupid laws regarding seat belts and helmets but we're pretty much free to go out and kill ourselves in a multitude of sporting activities if we so wish :unsure:

@RayRay got kicked off a trail just recently. 

Archived