Being a total idiot and testing the max speed

wuppi

think about it.

say i’m out in public promoting wheels in tampa fl. so a human asks me, where can i ride it? what do i say? 

1. i don’t know (correct answer because i don’t)

2. anywhere u want (if u don’t get caught)

3. private property(gated subdivision or multifamily project)if not prohibited by hoa.

4. you have to check ur local laws(punt)

it sucks. risky to try and get clarification but operating in a gray area i feel we lose our rights. 

for example, ur tooling along some multiuse path being a good ambassador for wheels and some redneck takes advantage of ur vulnerability balancing on a wheel and clothelines u on purpose. do u have legal recourse because u were operating an illegal vehicle(?) on a path meant for non powered vehicles. idk. 

i’m not an attorney so i hope some american attorney gets the wheel bug and gives us an opinion.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, novazeus said:

think about it.

say i’m out in public promoting wheels in tampa fl. so a human asks me, where can i ride it? what do i say? 

1. i don’t know (correct answer because i don’t)

2. anywhere u want (if u don’t get caught)

3. private property(gated subdivision or multifamily project)if not prohibited by hoa.

4. you have to check ur local laws(punt)

it sucks. risky to try and get clarification but operating in a gray area i feel we lose our rights. 

for example, ur tooling along some multiuse path being a good ambassador for wheels and some redneck takes advantage of ur vulnerability balancing on a wheel and clothelines u on purpose. do u have legal recourse because u were operating an illegal vehicle(?) on a path meant for non powered vehicles. idk. 

i’m not an attorney so i hope some american attorney gets the wheel bug and gives us an opinion.

You know, sometimes the way you talk about Bob, and your use of the phrase above, makes me think you're starting to lose the distinction between dog and man :whistling:

Um, have you seen a photo of yourself and your big dog?  No one in their right mind is going to try to clothesline you I'm pretty sure of that.  :whistling:   You're like Tom Hanks from "Cast Away," but on a farm instead of an island.  But with more hair.

IMG_4237.jpg

Also, throughout my rides, I have never had a single person ask me where I can ride.  They usually want to:

• Tell me how cool / sweet my ride is
  • Ask me where I bought it and the cost
  • Know how difficult it is to ride
  • Basically learn more about it.

In the unlikely event that they ask where they can ride it, I'd say sidewalks, bikepaths, off-road, almost anywhere they want as long as they ride safely, respectfully and keep under the radar.  :ph34r:

13 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You know, sometimes the way you talk about Bob, and your use of the phrase above, makes me think you're starting to lose the distinction between dog and man :whistling:

take a gram or ml of cannabis oil and u will call them humans too. when ur able to speak again. it’s not like smoking. u won’t like it.

Bob is superior to humans in many ways. 

plus, i died 4 years ago, so i don’t have much in common with humans. not to be morbid but it changes u when u and ur doctors agree that ur death is mere months away. some of u will experience that before u die.

think how u would feel leaving ur doctor after a check up and him telling u to get ur affairs in order, u have three months to live, and u agree with him. everything changes at that moment.

On 5/16/2018 at 2:30 AM, wuppi said:

So earlier tonight I decided to go on a ride on my Gotway Tesla, around the neighborhood like any other evening. I know these roads pretty well and there's a few spots of smooth, quite new asphalt. I've been wondering about the actual max speed of the Tesla, as it just doesn't seem to run out of power. I've previously pushed it over 55kmh, which already started to feel iffy, but hey, I managed it so it must have more power, right?

Sudden breath of bravery came out of nowhere and I decided to do it. Make a new personal speed record – it's now or never. Obviously, that was a very bad idea, especially when the only safety gear I've acquired is a helmet.

I'm happy to hear that you're OK, but I just can't wrap my head around that you willingly went for a cut-off at >55-60 km/h on a pavement basically without any protection.

3 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Um, have you seen a photo of yourself and your big dog?  No one in their right mind is going to try to clothesline you I'm pretty sure of that.  :whistling:  Also, throughout my rides, I have never had a single person ask me where I can ride.  They usually want to:

In the unlikely event that they ask where they can ride it, I'd say sidewalks, bikepaths, off-road, almost anywhere they want as long as they ride safely, respectfully and keep under the radar.  :ph34r:

this is florida. i’ve been harrassed riding my motorcycles and when i used to inline skate. i always carried a gun. probably why a concealed weapons permit is so popular in florida. it ain’t all disneyworld.

@Duf doesn't seem to get into trouble where he's at?  You packin', Duf?  It does looks like Orlando and Lake Worth are on the top 30 murder list though:

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/blog/highest-murder-rate-cities

Still, I bet there's plenty of safe spots to roll around.  Maybe check with Duf?  From my visits there, it seems like it's mostly freeways and outlet shops with people zooming around in cars.

i think @Duf must be down around naples. it’s pretty safe if u don’t venture into some crazies in golden gate.

humans take on a whole different persona behind the wheel of a caged vehicle. 

minivans and sport suv’s(which is the upgrade from minivans) are the worse. the joke was a person in a minivan drove fast because they were embarassed to be seen driving it.

i’d never drive an euc, a bicycle on any road shared with vehicles. maybe in a subdivision. 

Maybe driving to a safer location to ride might be a good idea, or ride with others in a pack!  There's safety in numbers!  Isn't @Shabba down in FL too?

I find sometimes that our biases, past bad experiences, and downward outlook can often cloud how we view our world.  Take for example New York City.  You hear about the crazy crimes and muggings, but there are tons of riders there who don't get hassled. @houseofjob, @Cloud is NYC a terrible place to go riding around?

I find that if you have a negative view, you tend to see only the negatives or tend to interpret situations that way.  Dogs are better than humans, Florida is a land of crazy drivers, that guy looking at your wheel wants to attack you, etc etc.  

It's true that we inherently influence ourselves and make a large part of our own reality in our minds.  Those thoughts can limit us and place restrictions on what we want to do even though in reality there is no barrier there.  It can be difficult to break free of certain mindsets, but what's better - to think the world is doom and gloom and against you or to think that the world is your oyster for the taking?  It's time to make some Floridanade!

24 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Maybe driving to a safer location to ride might be a good idea, or ride with others in a pack!  There's safety in numbers!  Isn't @Shabba down in FL too?

I find sometimes that our biases, past bad experiences, and downward outlook can often cloud how we view our world.  Take for example New York City.  You hear about the crazy crimes and muggings, but there are tons of riders there who don't get hassled. @houseofjob, @Cloud is NYC a terrible place to go riding around?

I find that if you have a negative view, you tend to see only the negatives or tend to interpret situations that way.  Dogs are better than humans, Florida is a land of crazy drivers, that guy looking at your wheel wants to attack you, etc etc.  

It's true that we inherently influence ourselves and make a large part of our own reality in our minds.  Those thoughts can limit us and place restrictions on what we want to do even though in reality there is no barrier there.  It can be difficult to break free of certain mindsets, but what's better - to think the world is doom and gloom and against you or to think that the world is your oyster for the taking?  It's time to make some Floridanade!

i think ur missing the point. i’m not concerned with my safety, i’m more concerned with the aftermath in a legal situation after i defended myself. i don’t want the assailant to have recourse because i was operating an illegal vehicle on a sidewalk or multiuse path. 

some asshole stomped to death this famous flamingo that danced at busch gardens. for no reason.

i just want to know, where is it legal to ride my wheel on public property should i or one of my gfs wants to?  nbd. and i’d like to see that in writing.

56 minutes ago, novazeus said:

this is florida. i’ve been harrassed riding my motorcycles and when i used to inline skate. i always carried a gun. probably why a concealed weapons permit is so popular in florida. it ain’t all disneyworld.

Fantastic I land in orlando on 8th june great to hear that i'm gonna be safe.... :P

I must have misread something.  :blink:  I'm so glad that I don't live in Florida.  Sounds pretty bad down there.  Wasn't the flamingo thing like two years ago?

https://www.cnn.com/2016/08/03/us/flamingo-attacked-busch-gardens/index.html

Doesn't "assailant" trump "illegal vehicle" in a normal court of law?  You know, like rock, paper, scissors?

3 minutes ago, Cannings said:

Fantastic I land in orlando on 8th june great to hear that i'm gonna be safe.... :P

For Orlando, we found that the violent crime rate is one of the highest in the nation, across communities of all sizes (both large and small). Violent offenses tracked included rape, murder and non-negligent manslaughter, armed robbery, and aggravated assault, including assault with a deadly weapon.

2 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I must have misread something.  :blink:  I'm so glad that I don't live in Florida.  Sounds pretty bad down there.  Wasn't the flamingo thing like two years ago?

almost, flamingo is still dead.

like in nyc, in florida u have to know how to carry urself. we have lots of new yorkers in miami. and in my county west of me. new port richey(i call it new york richey).

lots of canadians further south like sarasota to ft myers.

i remember around the holidays i was out skating and this carload of foreigners wanted directions to this church in a very non integrated low income black neighborhood i built homes in. there were official road signs that said “no street cruising” i asked the cops one day what that meant, they said if ur white, u better not be driving around this neighborhood. “street cruising” meant looking for crack because black kids were selling it on every corner. routinely blacks would make the gun sign with their hand and point it at me. nobody ever really shot at me, i was probably building a relative their house. 

florida definitely can be dangerous. 

16 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Rent a gun, Cannings, and don't forget the body armour.  Or better yet change that flight to Lewisboro, New York!

https://www.safewise.com/safest-cities-america

i can see marco island and key biscayne making the list. die of boredom in marco island.

so yeah, to be safe in florida, u need to be on an island.

the middle of the state, big time dangerous rednecks, lots of meth, probably some klan members.

2 hours ago, novazeus said:

Now sad is that...I don't get it why you have to carry a gun. I guess that is why I am lucky to be born and live in Scandinavia.

5 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

@Duf doesn't seem to get into trouble where he's at?  You packin', Duf?  It does looks like Orlando and Lake Worth are on the top 30 murder list though:

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/blog/highest-murder-rate-cities

Still, I bet there's plenty of safe spots to roll around.  Maybe check with Duf?  From my visits there, it seems like it's mostly freeways and outlet shops with people zooming around in cars.

4 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Doesn't "assailant" trump "illegal vehicle" in a normal court of law?  You know, like rock, paper, scissors?

So this is how you need to EUC in Florida then...

rolly+tanks-0.jpg

15 hours ago, novazeus said:

@RayRay got kicked off a trail just recently. 

BTW: I talked to the guy on the (Stealth) e-skateboard and he said they try to hassle him on the trail too, but they can never catch him (24mph)... ?

1 minute ago, RayRay said:

BTW: I talked to the guy on the (Stealth) e-skateboard and he said they try to hassle him on the trail too, but they can never catch him (24mph)... ?

that’s funny.

i’d really like to know what the laws are in our area regarding our wheels as opposed to “better to ask forgiveness than ask permission” limbo that we’re in.

i think as companies like inmotion makes reliable, safe euc’s, they’ll be more popular, but if we can’t ride them where we want, it’s all gonna be moot. i love my v10f.

8 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

So this is how you need to EUC in Florida then...

rolly+tanks-0.jpg

good idea but too hot for florida. 

guess u have heard the news in texas today, coincidentally.

10 hours ago, Unventor said:

Now sad is that...I don't get it why you have to carry a gun. I guess that is why I am lucky to be born and live in Scandinavia.

It's to kill other people first before they kill you.  :eff01bbbfc:  There's like an amendment about it.  Didn't you get the memo?

13 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Um, have you seen a photo of yourself and your big dog?  No one in their right mind is going to try to clothesline you I'm pretty sure of that.  :whistling:   You're like Tom Hanks from "Cast Away," but on a farm instead of an island.  But with more hair.

IMG_4237.jpg

Also, throughout my rides, I have never had a single person ask me where I can ride.  They usually want to:

Pretty much the same here.. I've had maybe one person in public giving me dirty looks who maybe made a comment, but I forget what.

At my old workplace I had a few jobsworth colleagues sneer and say 'aren't those illegal?' as they took another chomp from a doughnut and slurped tea. Oh man am I glad I left there.

Police and authority figures, on the other hand, have all been super supportive so far.

Archived