THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Mten3's. What a blast of a wheel :w00t2:

As a small wheel rider, I have been trying to tell people how much fun they are due to their weight, but this one really takes the cake! I may have to get one before I wait for yours:rolleyes: to almost blow a fuse before buying it? 

If I do, we should do some early morning mall walking group ride with these, or some ADA sidewalk appraisals at the local town halls. "Nope too bumpy, we are going to give you a citizens citation for uneven paving." I will print up the ticket books! ?

Edited by Stan Onymous
Typo
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Flora Yuan said:

Hmmm, I can confirm this is not an accurate data, pls don't follow it.

Hey @Flora Yuan could you clarify the speed chart for the KS14s? I am looking for a small wheel and I am choosing between this ks14s and the mTen. The speed issue is a big deal breaker for me, since I have already owned a Huanxi and dont relish the speed that the KS14s would emmulate.

4 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

Hey @Flora Yuan could you clarify the speed chart for the KS14s? I am looking for a small wheel and I am choosing between this ks14s and the mTen. The speed issue is a big deal breaker for me, since I have already owned a Huanxi and dont relish the speed that the KS14s would emmulate.

Isn't there a big difference between the 2 models you mentioned?

For sure the Mten is more a "toy" to fool around with (be it a very good one) than a KS14S?

Not really, even though the KS is 14lbs heavier, it has a trolley handle and I still fit them into the small wheel category. Ideal for tucking under my train or bus seat and going to the end of the line and riding to my destination. The smaller wheels are easier to take into meetings and stash away or at conferences for a ride between sessions. The mTen is 20lbs!

its as similar as the Msuper 22" and the KS18s which are also being compared somewhere else on the forum. I am interested in how much more squirrelly the 10" is than the 14" but still. It may be just as mobile as the 14" with low air. 

Both of these wheels have the same amount of drawbacks and special features except in different areas, and I want all the information to make as good a choice as is possible. Thats part of the fun of the hobby!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

From that car guy (who also has 2 other pretty good EUC videos on his channel). Plus a little bonus argument for wrist guards at the end:)

Great find - if only it had been a Gotway Tesla versus the Tesla Model S, I reckon the Gotway would have won easily ?.

And, yes, wristguards would have been a big help - as would somewhat more sensible footwear. He must have landed completely on his arms/ body as in those flip flops he was wearing he would have badly hurt his feet had he managed to stay upright.

45 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

Not really, even though the KS is 14lbs heavier, it has a trolley handle and I still fit them into the small wheel category. Ideal for tucking under my train or bus seat and going to the end of the line and riding to my destination. The smaller wheels are easier to take into meetings and stash away or at conferences for a ride between sessions. The mTen is 20lbs!

its as similar as the Msuper 22" and the KS18s which are also being compared somewhere else on the forum. I am interested in how much more squirrelly the 10" is than the 14" but still. It may be just as mobile as the 14" with low air. 

Both of these wheels have the same amount of drawbacks and special features except in different areas, and I want all the information to make as good a choice as is possible. Thats part of the fun of the hobby!

Would you rather get the Mten3 or the IPS I5?  They both weigh the same, but the IPS I5 has a bigger wheel.  I think I would rather get the IPS I5.  It is also a few hundred cheaper than the Mten3.  Though the Mten3 is twice as fast, not sure if I would feel comfortable going 40km/h in a 10" wheel.  probably not a good idea if you hit a bump, you will fall badly.

22 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Though the Mten3 is twice as fast, not sure if I would feel comfortable going 40km/h in a 10" wheel.  probably not a good idea if you hit a bump, you will fall badly.

I was comparing them on comparable abilities for my journeys where I have wanted a small wheel. The ips i5 is neat and all, looking like a laptop, but I am looking for something a little more challenging. I would get the i5 for indoor riding or pedestrian riding in cramped quarters. Here is really where I envision it shining. Thats not really my entire journey though.

I like the idea that balancing on a EUC is a skill that can always be honed, and I ride that way. The i5 would quickly (irony) reach these limits. Also the i5 tire is almost half the width, so hitting a bump on that wheel is not the same as on my V5f. I prefer a wider stance for ankle stability.

15mph on a 10" wheel is fine on certain bike paths and parking structures. I wear a fox jacket, as of this Monday, and elbow pads and wrist guards with a helmet. So far while being bucked off of my v5f or v8 it has only led to the inconvenience of running next to my skidding wheel. Falling off this lower wheel doesnt concern me at all but I will be, as always, prepared for the opportunity.

Edited by Stan Onymous
Edification
  • Upvote 1

When I'm on my little wheels I feel like a superhero as the sidewalk flies under me at an astonishing 6 mph but when I'm on my big wheels I feel so slow 'cause all these bicyclists and motorists fly by me in irritation. 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

When I'm on my little wheels I feel like a superhero as the sidewalk flies under me at an astonishing 6 mph but when I'm on my big wheels I feel so slow 'cause all these bicyclists and motorists fly by me in irritation. 

I consider my KS16 small and portable.  LOL

4 hours ago, Keith said:

Oh my God, we have got another @Hirsute in the making! @Marty Backe that was just a brilliant video, beautifully lit considering it was night time and you made that little Mten look soo easy to ride, the turning circle was amazing. I hope Gotway are sponsoring you if you are making videos of that quality. I hadn't even thought about buying the Mten, all of a sudden I want one ?.

Edit: Come to think of it, wouldn't it be wonderful to see what Hirsute can do on an Mten3. It looks the perfect wheel for his riding style.

Thanks. I'll never be half as good at Hirsute - love his videos. I'm honored that you would mention me in the same paragraph.

This Mten3 is a blast.

:cheers:

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

As a small wheel rider, I have been trying to tell people how much fun they are due to their weight, but this one really takes the cake! I may have to get one before I wait for yours:rolleyes: to almost blow a fuse before buying it? 

If I do, we should do some early morning mall walking group ride with these, or some ADA sidewalk appraisals at the local town halls. "Nope too bumpy, we are going to give you a citizens citation for uneven paving." I will print up the ticket books! ?

I'm totally with you now.

I'd love to do a mall/city ride with this thing. If you ever plan one I'm all in.

4 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

Would you rather get the Mten3 or the IPS I5?  They both weigh the same, but the IPS I5 has a bigger wheel.  I think I would rather get the IPS I5.  It is also a few hundred cheaper than the Mten3.  Though the Mten3 is twice as fast, not sure if I would feel comfortable going 40km/h in a 10" wheel.  probably not a good idea if you hit a bump, you will fall badly.

You're missing the point of the Mten3. It's about having fun like what's in my video. It's not about commuting or riding trails or riding fast. Buy the IPS I5 if that's what you're into.

BTW, I think the Mten3 has ~twice the battery of the I5.

There are 14 inch wheels for "serious" uses, and small diameter (10 inch wheels) for plain maneuverability fun.

i5 is a "serious" wheel (14 inch), but built to be maximally light, thin and portable.

mten3 is wheel for having fun with its movement.

I don't think you can really compare wheels with such different tire sizes.

--

Amazing how little the mten3 tilts when doing these narrow turns (in the video), due to the small tire diameter.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You're missing the point of the Mten3. It's about having fun like what's in my video. It's not about commuting or riding trails or riding fast. Buy the IPS I5 if that's what you're into.

BTW, I think the Mten3 has ~twice the battery of the I5.

I get it, after riding all the big wheels it is a novelty to ride such a small wheel without the bulk or heaviness.  I think for me the smallest I would go is a 16" wheel.  If I want to have fun that would be the wheel I would go with, still nimble enough yet stable at speeds.  I tried going back to the 14" wheel and didn't like it at all.  I doubt I would like the Mten3 since it has such a small wheel making it really twitchy.  I guess if feeling like the wheel is going to kill you is fun, it is one way to have fun.  jk...  Both the Mten3 and IPS I5 doesn't fit my needs.  I'm still looking for a wheel that sits between my KS16 and 18S.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

I get it, after riding all the big wheels it is a novelty to ride such a small wheel without the bulk or heaviness.  I think for me the smallest I would go is a 16" wheel.  If I want to have fun that would be the wheel I would go with, still nimble enough yet stable at speeds.  I tried going back to the 14" wheel and didn't like it at all.  I doubt I would like the Mten3 since it has such a small wheel making it really twitchy.  I guess if feeling like the wheel is going to kill you is fun, it is one way to have fun.  jk...  Both the Mten3 and IPS I5 doesn't fit my needs.  I'm still looking for a wheel that sits between my KS16 and 18S.

Too bad you can't try one. You might change your mind. It's nothing like a 'huge' wheel like a 14 inch. Totally different experience. Can't really describe it I guess.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Too bad you can't try one. You might change your mind. It's nothing like a 'huge' wheel like a 14 inch. Totally different experience. Can't really describe it I guess.

Maybe someone will buy it and bring it to a group meet.  LOL

looks like you can pack it in your backpack. 

Edited by eddiemoy
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

There are 14 inch wheels for "serious" uses, and small diameter (10 inch wheels) for plain maneuverability fun.

i5 is a "serious" wheel (14 inch), but built to be maximally light, thin and portable.

mten3 is wheel for having fun with its movement.

I don't think you can really compare wheels with such different tire sizes.

--

Amazing how little the mten3 tilts when doing these narrow turns (in the video), due to the small tire diameter.

The pedals on this thing are so close to the ground that you would think you'd be scraping them all the time. But no, the wheel is so small that it actually pivots more when turning. So no pedal scraping.

Even a 14" wheel that weighs 8kg won't turn and be as agile as this wheel. It's the diameter of the wheel not the weight or thinness that determines nimbleness.

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

If you ever plan one I'm all in.

I was within seconds of buying one earlier today. Now I am going back and getting it too. The 425wh version with shipping, just under $900 . The commercial paid $1000 for the day for me and $100/day for the EUC. Pay equality now -higher not lower please- so I have it covered.:thumbup:

EDIT - It has been purchased and will be on the way! Time to research townhalls across the city. Lol ? Bravo @Marty Backe I have decided to buy one ! First Gotway purchase!

Edited by Stan Onymous
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

I was within seconds of buying one earlier today. Now I am going back and getting it too. The 425wh version with shipping, just under $900 . The commercial paid $1000 for the day for me and $100/day for the EUC. Pay equality now -higher not lower please- so I have it covered.:thumbup:

Exactly which wheel are you buying?

Exactly which wheel are you buying? @Marty Backe asked. The mten! After watching the mobility of the 10" wheel I had no worries about it being serious enough. It is so tiny, that pedestrians seemed to not even notice or be bothered by it either.

My issue with the thinner tire is ride comfort and feel. Because pot holes and strange roots covered by blankets of asphalt sometimes dot my path, I decided a fatter smaller diameter tire would hold up better and afford more shock absorbtion for the ride. I feel the i5 would give a stiff uncushioned ride much like racing bike tires. Sure they are nimble, thats not the point. My point was feel of the ride on the tire. I can adjust my balance and speed to fit the smaller wheel, although as a smaller wheel rider, its what I know.

the thin stance of the i5 makes me feel I will twist my ankles or stress out my knees. I watched the speedyfeets video and agree that its a fantastic machine, but I like the challenge of the sharpening of my skills that the mten will afford me rather than the endurance of the shortcomings that the i5 provides on the ride.