New Inmotion V10 / V10F

Pingouin

17 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Just so I fully understand, everything below the black EVA Sticker (line of delineation) is supplied by Inmotion and all of the tools above are the customer’s responsibility?  I have most  of the tools but what is a ‘Small Shovel’?  Some sort of putty knife/scraper? 

44039708271_41dfef4ba7_b.jpg

It may be prudent to post the modification instructions so owners can make a better determination if they wish to proceed down the DIY avenue. 

They said it's coming but similar to changing the tire disassembly.

@Jeffrey Scott Will Your message was very vague in regards to reaching out to your customers. You mentioned only the ones who have had this problem. Does this mean if we purchsaed them from InMotion USA and haven't had the problem and have ridden in the rain that we dont need to worry? Is it InMotion USA specific, or is it for all V10F and V10 models no matter where they purchased it?

If its just a little silicone in the seal, couldnt we just use a clear gorilla glue tape over the center seam? Or is this for the holes where the speaker wires come through? If thats the case, Tsk tsk assembly gnomes. Ha! I think better weatherproofing was one of the requests from several wet climate riders. Geographically specific complaints usually get around to everyone given enough seasons.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Harold Farrenkopf said:

Update. Just received an email with 2 choices. DIY or send it in for free repair. 

2 weeks is up tomorrow. Sure are stretching it to the max. 

obsolete - my internet was too slow to show up the e-mail of inmotion USA :)

Edited by MBIKER_SURFER

7 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Just so I fully understand, everything below the black EVA Sticker (line of delineation) is supplied by Inmotion and all of the tools above are the customer’s responsibility?  I have most  of the tools but what is a ‘Small Shovel’?  Some sort of putty knife/scraper? 

44039708271_41dfef4ba7_b.jpg

It may be prudent to post the modification instructions so owners can make a better determination if they wish to proceed down the DIY avenue. 

Yes, looks like some kind of putty knife to me. I can guess at two possible applications; for prying of the shell after unscrewing or for applying the silicon rubber. The instructions would no doubt make this clear, I'd really like to see those as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeffrey Scott Will said:

Hey all. Sorry if it seems we've been radio silent! Speaking for our team here in the US, we've actually been very busy communicating directly with every single one of our customers. We have a responsibility to them first and foremost. While we would love to be more active here, we have to prioritize dealing with our customers privately when they reach out to us. It's not always possible for us to keep up with ongoing conversations here in the forum unfortunately. Please understand that our team here doesn't have access to sales records and customer info from other distributors of our products. Your seller should be communicating with you about the weatherproofing issue as InMotion China releases information. However, my quick scan of responses here tells me far too many of you are in the dark, so clearly the InMotion organization as a whole needs to do a better job at getting the info out there so that information is as easy to find as possible.

@Nils who is your seller? Have they not been able to give you any answers? You are always welcome to just ask our US team as well. We may not be able to sell you a wheel, but we can certainly try to answer questions! Hopefully I can assure you no one is withholding information - we gave ourselves a two week deadline to update the affected V10 owners about the fix for the weatherproofing vulnerability from the date of the advisory we sent out, and now we are ready to share some plans with you. 

Actually, we just sent out an email to all of our customers who bought directly from InMotion USA, but I'll share the plan here publicly as well. Again, I can't say how your local distributor will handle it if you are outside of the US, but anyone stateside can come to us for this weatherproof fix no matter who / where you purchased your V10 or V10F. For example,  eWheels customers are welcome to reach out to us directly.

Weatherproofing Fix (plan for US customers)

The solution involves adding a protective silicone sealant to the inside of the case, which means there is some disassembly required. We realize not everyone is comfortable or familiar with this process, so we will be offering a choice for those affected: DIY, or send your v10 to us for the fix. Both options are totally free.

1. Do It Yourself

• We ship you the instructions and necessary parts (sealant and guide to lay down sealant along seam)
  • This is the faster option for those who want to get their wheel weather sealed ASAP
  • Warranty is not affected by self-repair, but please let us know if you have any trouble or need any help along the way

2. Send It In For Repair

• We provide you with shipping label so you can ship your V10 to our HQ in San Diego
  • Our service team takes care of the whole process for you
  • We ship your V10 back to you as soon as we finish sealing your wheel

We have reached out to all of our customers via email, so please do refer to that for further instruction.  If you are in the US and already have a V10 or V10F, your wheel is affected. 

I'm sorry we haven't been able to keep up with the forums as much as we'd like. We will try to do better! But I want to make sure everyone knows you'll have a MUCH easier time getting help / answers if you reach out to us directly instead of waiting for answers here in the future. 

Many thanks for your reply Jeffrey, it's greatly appreciated!

I bought my V10F from the Intelligent Walking Store at AliExpress, but haven't heard anything from there. I've reached out to the seller regarding this now and will see what he says about this and the DYI kit. With regards to contact I've twice tried to contact Inmotion global for any information or advice regarding this (using the contact form here: https://www.inmotionworld.com/services), but without receiving any reply (and the same goes for @MBIKER_SURFER I believe). Neither have I found any information on either the Inmotion Global (inmotionworld.com) or Inmotion USA sites regarding the issue. I've tried to contact Inmotion global as I'm a non-US customer - I take it might be better reach out directly to Inmotion USA as well for the rest of us then?

For me it's going to be the DYI approach. As I've said I reached out to the Chinese seller, and will see what he says about the kit. Shipping it from China will take some time though even if it can be gotten from the seller (or is the kit a US-only thing that you provide?). Is there any faster way of getting a kit for us Europeans? Material-wise it seems like it's eva strips and silicone, so if instructions are provided along with any necessary specifications for the silicone it seems I could also potentially get that stuff myself at some extra cost if I want a speedier resolution.

In short, any information about the DYI kit such as instructions, material specifications (and as a European if there's a faster way of getting one than having it shipped from China) would be very welcome.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Nils said:

Yes, looks like some kind of putty knife to me. I can guess at two possible applications; for prying of the shell after unscrewing or for applying the silicon rubber. The instructions would no doubt make this clear, I'd really like to see those as well.

I answered Inmotion’s email yesterday that I preferred the DYI method. I’m not sure how many technicians are on Jeffrey and Bob’s payroll but an massive influx of V10s from across the country for repair could take some time.

@Jeffrey Scott Will  curious about who pays for the round trip shipping costs if a customer elects to send the wheel to your company for repair?

8 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

@Jeffrey Scott Will Your message was very vague in regards to reaching out to your customers. You mentioned only the ones who have had this problem. Does this mean if we purchsaed them from InMotion USA and haven't had the problem and have ridden in the rain that we dont need to worry? Is it InMotion USA specific, or is it for all V10F and V10 models no matter where they purchased it?

Yes, it would be very nice to have this completely clarified. I'll note though that he wrote this in the reply to my post (emphasis mine):

"We have reached out to all of our customers via email, so please do refer to that for further instruction.  If you are in the US and already have a V10 or V10F, your wheel is affected. "

So sounds like it would apply to at least all Inmotion USA customers, you bought yours from them I'll take it?

2 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

The quantity of V10Fs out in the wild is not massive, it should be a containable. From what I understand, these water-resistance enhancing measures are primarily precautionary as a result of further internal testing from within Inmotion, [Edit, @houseofjob posted a story from London this morning where a V10F caught fire, http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/16417613.electric-unicycle-catches-fire-at-block-of-flats-in-deptford/] doesn't reduce the necessity of sealing joint between the shells.

After a several month production hiatus, there's a new batch of V10Fs arriving in US on August 21st, two days before the 25% tariffs are set to come into effect. This batch has several improvements, like this enhanced weather-protection built into them, although they have not gotten around to the handle-play issue yet....    

What are those several improvements beside the weather proofing fix? 

4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I answered Inmotion’s email yesterday that I preferred the DYI method. I’m not sure how many technicians are on Jeffrey and Bob’s payroll but an massive influx of V10s from across the country for repair could take some time.

@Jeffrey Scott Will  curious about who pays for the round trip shipping costs if a customer elects to send the wheel to your company for repair?

He seemed to make it very clear by writing in bold, "Both options are totally free."

• Like 2

That fire looks serious. If the cause ends up being a manufacturing mistake, they should recall all wheels. 

I’m not too happy about opening the wheel. But I’m not going to send my wheel to San Diego from Finland. At least I get a chance to change the tire at the same time. I will try Chao Yang in hopes of it being less bouncy. 

If the new batches have significant improvements and there are not too many V10s out there, maybe they could just recall all the wheels and send a new one to everybody. I know it’s very unlikely. But we first customers have been beta testers now and it doesn’t feel nice to have inferior product because of it. Interesting to see what improvements there are and if the heat problem has been fixed in hardware. 

But that fire issue needs to be inspected seriously. That could get expensive for dealers if that was not some user error. We have a case in Finland where the importer and dealer of e-bikes has to pay high damages to the insurance company because one of their e-bikes might have caused a house to burn down. 

26 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

If the new batches have significant improvements and there are not too many V10s out there, maybe they could just recall all the wheels and send a new one to everybody. I know it’s very unlikely. But we first customers have been beta testers now and it doesn’t feel nice to have inferior product because of it. Interesting to see what improvements there are and if the heat problem has been fixed in hardware. 

Hope dies last :)

I'm hoping for that too - would solve nearly all bugs!

I would have to send my V10F to Spain - two weeks no wheel! Just for this bit of silicone?

Just a bit Off topic: 

Which wheel has got the same riding comfort as the V10? Not heavier than the V10 with less bugs? And not really much more expensive?

Here are so many experts with other wheels parallel :)

No King Song due to this horrible high pitch sound. Hopefully there will be a wheel left at all without this high pitch sound :innocent1:

3 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Expensive recall.

Yes, but it is the foundation of successful business. The trust and satisfaction of your customers is of utmost importance! The quick dollar does not get you very far in business.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Expensive recall.

with the fire thing, they’d be smart to bite the bullet and get that one that caught fire in the lab, figure out why it caught fire and then recall all shipped units and replace them. that’s what the lawyers would probably tell them.

if somebody died in that fire, which would be terrible, it would be curtains for inmotion.

this is a very bad thing ala samsung galaxy note on steroids.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, novazeus said:

with the fire thing, they’d be smart to bite the bullet and get that one that caught fire in the lab, figure out why it caught fire and then recall all shipped units and replace them. that’s what the lawyers would probably tell them.

if somebody died in that fire, which would be terrible, it would be curtains for inmotion.

Yes, a detailed investigation of that unit is required. Hope somebody is following up with it and doing it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Harold Farrenkopf said:

Yes, a detailed investigation of that unit is required. Hope somebody is following up with it and doing it.

ya, not knowing something like this could happen is one thing, knowing that it happened and not moving heaven and earth to be proactive and making best efforts that it doesn’t happen again, is what personal injury/product liability lawyers dream of, if it ever happens again.

i feel bad for inmotion.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Harold Farrenkopf said:

10 minutes ago, novazeus said:

So face plants are not our only nightmares these days. The hobby has just gotten more dangerous, I am afraid. ?

• Like 1