New Inmotion V10 / V10F

Pingouin

5 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

So face plants are not our only nightmares these days. The hobby has just gotten more dangerous, I am afraid. ?

yeah so sad.

the irony of inmotion generally considered one of the safest wheels and stories like the fire will pull down the whole industry.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, novazeus said:

yeah so sad.

the irony of inmotion generally considered one of the safest wheels and stories like the fire will pull down the whole industry.

Yes it will definitely reflect on the industry. But think of the Tesla (I mean the ?). Some also burned and there were even deadly accidents, The other side of this coin is, it will bring EUCs into public awareness. Which is a good thing! Think of “United Colours of B....” and their really controversial PR strategy. So bad press may not be as bad for the industry as is seems. Think about it. ? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

Tesla Cars went into PR overdrive, blaming the driver interference in the charging, and it was timed to distract from the less than stellar production numbers and the debt due on past loans.

InMotion has no such program in place, and is not as Popular as Tesla Car Company and not in need of deflecting demand yet. It is more in the position of the hoverboards, and this could easily become a reason for stricter regulations on where these can be used. That is not a good PR strategy. The Colors of Benneton were relying on conservative groups to protest it and make it more popular. Totally different territory. This is dumbfuck territory for a Company to be in.

This, the V10F, is supposed to be a more advanced, two brains (control boards) and all the other safety features up in a poof of smoke. We are working on getting it to become more accepted as safe travel. What bus wants these on a Public Transportation system? Are these safe to go on the underground trains? This is total Corporate Malfeasance coming home to roost.

i’m sure there are some serious meetings going on right now but i’d be sending out “do not use and store in a non-combustible container until further notice”.

property damage is one thing, human life and suffering is big dollars and corporate malfeasance once something like this happens the second time, for sure. mistakes in manufacturing happen all the time, back in the 90’s a friend of mine was eating breakfast in mcdonalds when his new chevy blazer caught fire in the parking lot, it’s what happens after an incident.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

Tesla Cars went into PR overdrive, blaming the driver interference in the charging, and it was timed to distract from the less than stellar production numbers and the debt due on past loans.

InMotion has no such program in place, and is not as Popular as Tesla Car Company and not in need of deflecting demand yet. It is more in the position of the hoverboards, and this could easily become a reason for stricter regulations on where these can be used. That is not a good PR strategy. The Colors of Benneton were relying on conservative groups to protest it and make it more popular. Totally different territory. This is dumbfuck territory for a Company to be in.

This, the V10F, is supposed to be a more advanced, two brains (control boards) and all the other safety features up in a poof of smoke. We are working on getting it to become more accepted as safe travel. What bus wants these on a Public Transportation system? Are these safe to go on the underground trains? This is total Corporate Malfeasance coming home to roost.

We were talking about the industry not about Inmotion. It is difficult may be even disastrous for Inmotion, I agree, but I still believe even though this creates bad publicity for one company, it still promotes public awareness of EUCs which has PR value for other companies.

People are forgetful regarding details. The general awareness and interest in EUCs will nevertheless be raised on the long run. And I consider that necessary. 

Allow me one more thing to say: with the new standards set by the Segway-Ninebot Z, the industry will have a difficult time to come up with something new and better. Just more power, speed and range will simply not do it for unbiased users like me. The benchmark has significantly changed and people will soon realize it.

• Like 2

Ian at speedyFeet commented on the fire issue briefly on his show. It is serious. But looks like InMotion’s instructions were not followed. Something still was wrong if they had been talking to the owner. Too early to say anything certain or whether it was a faulty wheel or abuse by the user. But a good reminder that these big batteries are potentially dangerous. @Bobwheel or @Jeffrey Scott Will please keep us updated on this. If you guys find the reason it would be good to know. 

On mobile so I cannot link directly to the spot but go to 57:47 mark. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

Ian at speedyFeet commented on the fire issue briefly on his show. It is serious. But looks like InMotion’s instructions were not followed. Something still was wrong if they had been talking to the owner. Too early to say anything certain or whether it was a faulty wheel or abuse by the user. But a good reminder that these big batteries are potentially dangerous. @Bobwheel or @Jeffrey Scott Will please keep us updated on this. If you guys find the reason it would be good to know. 

On mobile so I cannot link directly to the spot but go to 57:47 mark. 

i’m digging my sand pit for safe storage.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, novazeus said:

i’m digging my sand pit for safe storage.

We do need to be prudent no matter what make or model of EUC you own. Place a fire extinguisher and smoke detector in the vicinity of your stored wheels. 

43340286364_c07ac7f680_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

We do need to be prudent. Have a fire extinguisher and smoke detector placed in the vicinity of your stored wheels. 

i know really. mines in my old homestead which really wouldn’t bother me if it burned, but i still store valuables, like motorcycles and tools, and all my other wheels, so it would be quite the fire. 

i was making a funny about inmotion’s instructions. i hope i didn’t jinx myself for being a smart ass.

3 minutes ago, novazeus said:

i was making a funny about inmotion’s instructions. i hope i didn’t jinx myself for being a smart ass.

Don’t be surprised if your V10F requires repair from an IM facility and they interrogate you for possible sand intrusion. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Don’t be surprised if your V10F requires repair from an IM facility and they interrogate you for possible sand intrusion. 

might be to hazardous to ship. may just have to call the bomb squad for a controlled burn.

on a serious note, do not use water to put out the fire, i saw some of that nova documentary on batteries. even though i saw that, if there was a fire, my first instinct would be grab a hose.

7 minutes ago, novazeus said:

might be to hazardous to ship. may just have to call the bomb squad for a controlled burn.

on a serious note, do not use water to put out the fire, i saw some of that nova documentary on batteries. even though i saw that, if there was a fire, my first instinct would be grab a hose.

Grab a hose for everything else that is on fire. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Harold Farrenkopf said:

Oh CRAP!

14th August

Electric unicycle catches fire at block of flats in Deptford

Electric unicycle catches fire in Deptford

Electric unicycle catches fire in Deptford

FYI without wanting to add smoke to the fire ;) : this article is not 100% accurate.

I know the E wheel owner personally and let's just say there are significant discrepancies between what inmotion, this article and the email exchanges I've seen from his side say.

It's not really my place to say more about it as I understand he's still in talks with inmotion. 

This is an uncertain time and it's truly unfortunate what happened for the entire Ewheel community. This isn't the first time something like this has happen (samsungs, teslas, hoverboards etc.) However, I really hope as one forum member has already mentioned we can turn this into a positive and introduce stiffer QC and battery legislations BEFORE E wheels get into customers hands.

For now, I'd suggest for those without secure external places to park their wheels, grab a type C extinguisher (electrical fires), a fire blanket and really look into weatherproofing the battery housing. I certainly will be with my KS18L.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

We were talking about the industry not about Inmotion. It is difficult may be even disastrous for Inmotion, I agree, but I still believe even though this creates bad publicity for one company, it still promotes public awareness of EUCs which has PR value for other companies

Already we get lumped into the fire bursting hoverboards, so not sure how this will be good for an industry people already think is dangerous without even riding it.

That said, the blame is already being shifted to the consumer. Ian from his show implied that the owner did not follow the InMotion instructions properly. That is called passing the buck to the less funded and less lawyered up public, and letting them take the blame. Just like Tesla. This is not a good thing for the industry at all on any accounts.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Siggy said:

FYI without wanting to add smoke to the fire ;) : this article is not 100% accurate.

I know the E wheel owner personally and let's just say there are significant discrepancies between what inmotion, this article and the email exchanges I've seen from his side say.

There was not much mentioned in the article that could be wrong other than 1 week old and used it once. Did they use it to ride into a river once? I'll have to listen to the podcast.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Harold Farrenkopf said:

There was not much mentioned in the article that could be wrong other than 1 week old and used it once. Did they use it to ride into a river once? I'll have to listen to the podcast.

OK, I listened and it doesn't sound like the same wheel. The wheel was just bought a week before so it seems unlikely it was an early released unit. After one use, why would they be instructed to remove the battery (requires significant disassembly) and put it in sand or water? What was the early release issue? Or was the unit bought not new? Too much unknown.

• Like 2

It's because neither side wants to accept fault, I bet. So we won't know until blame is agreed on. Either way I got a v10f supposed to ship to my apartment in the next few weeks and I don't want it here if it's got a rogue battery issue that just blew up someone's home at 1 in the morning, so I'll see what InMotion tells me. 

Edited by Glitched
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

We do need to be prudent no matter what make or model of EUC you own. Place a fire extinguisher and smoke detector in the vicinity of your stored wheels. 

Don’t forget to add a good fire ? insurance to your list! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I just don't understand some people's reluctance to give detail:confused1:

It’s one way to create a hype, and some people think it's cool to be mysterious. Information is power! “I have it, you don’t!” kind of thing. Marty is right. In this forum we need more real information about such a major incident not just hearsay. ? 

• Like 1