Gotway Tesla Impressions and Diary

26 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

My Monster and your KS18s weigh the same, my 1600 Monster comes in @ 56.4 lbs.

Sorry, my mistake on the monster weight.  My KS18S 840wh is only 45lbs, only little heavier than my KS16 also 840wh, 42.5lbs, both of which are lighter than the GW Msuper v3s+ 1300wh coming in at 48.5lbs

weird thing is the KS18S seems a lot heavier than the KS16.  I wouldn’t have guessed it was only 2.5lbs difference.  

4 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

Seated isn’t as popular for new folks learning.  When people start riding and their feet start going numb before their enjoyment is fulfilled, then they will appreciate the seated position.  I remember when I started on EUC’s and wanted to ride, but my feet would be in so much pain after an hour of riding.  I wanted to ride more but I couldn’t.  That is when I bought the KS18S.  I wanted something with a seat, but didn’t want something like the monster which was 70lbs.  

I get the impression that most people view the seat as a temporary option only to relieve tired feet, but I think I'll use it a lot more often than that.  I'll have to wait and see how my riding habits evolve as I get more time with the 18S. 

I considered the Monster.  I had also thought it was 70lbs. and then came to realize it's closer to the 18" wheels in weight (at least the 1600wh version).  There's someone on Ebay selling them for $1500 US with free shipping and that's what initially sparked my interest.

I've learned I can carry the 18S up stairs with both hands as long as I go bow-legged.  Not the most flattering picture.  

2 hours ago, mezzanine said:

There's someone on Ebay selling them for $1500 US with free shipping and that's what initially sparked my interest.

He used to sell them for that price, however moved them up to $1,699.

On 11/18/2017 at 11:24 AM, mezzanine said:

I've learned I can carry the 18S up stairs with both hands as long as I go bow-legged.  Not the most flattering picture.  

Using the hook grip allows you to lift unreasonably heavy weights.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hook_grip

Be advised I ended up hurting my hip joint carrying my MSuper but in a pinch you can carry weights that you really shouldn't.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2017 at 8:27 AM, eddiemoy said:

This is troubling that a company continues to put out product that doesn’t seem to be tested.  You would think by designing a light, you don’t just slap a bright light on the EUC and call it a day.  No consideration on the flood pattern or how it will affect on coming traffic is just bizarre.  I can’t support a company who continues to display such bad design choices.  If that is how little thought they put into the light design, how much do you think they put into the unit design.  What else did they neglect?  The safety they only started improving, but only after so much backlash.  

I don’t know if I can overlook this and buy the wheel.  Still considering.  This speaks to what the company is about and how their design team works or doesn’t.  LOL

Wow, that's harsh! :wacko: I think it's great that so many Gotway owners are brutally honest about their wheels! ;) Not sure if Gotway is that bad, though.

I'm still driving the Beetle of EUCs and cruising the slow lane at least until spring. Until @Hunka Hunka Burning Love sells his Tesla, I'll keep it on my short list pending the second coming of the (Ninebot) One.:efee6b18f3:

Edited by litewave
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Using the hook grip allows you to lift unreasonably heavy weights.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hook_grip

Be advised I ended up hurting my hip joint carrying my MSuper but in a pinch you can carry weights that you really shouldn't.

Thanks, I'm going to try that grip out.  I think the long-term solution is probably going to be to condition myself to carry it two-handed. 

Tesla diary:

Yesterday after 10 days i have a revisit to my KS18S....

And i have to say, yes, in direct comparison the Tesla is a torque and agility monster :-) While it is not really fair to compare a 16 and 18 inch wheel :-) The KS18S has other advantages: Better quality, seatable, musicplayer and a more safe feeling when riding it.

somethings about power consumption: i get around 60km and was end up with 20% to 35% battery, depending on the speed i had.

Not bad i guess, and enough for me in all situations.

What sucks a bit is: the Tesla is a real mud/dirt collector....when you dont clean it after a while, you end up with scrubing sounds of the tire.

other than that i guess i own the best 16 and 18 inch wheels in the moment...very happy!!!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Tesla diary:

Yesterday after 10 days i have a revisit to my KS18S....

And i have to say, yes, in direct comparison the Tesla is a torque and agility monster :-) While it is not really fair to compare a 16 and 18 inch wheel :-) The KS18S has other advantages: Better quality, seatable, musicplayer and a more safe feeling when riding it.

somethings about power consumption: i get around 60km and was end up with 20% to 35% battery, depending on the speed i had.

Not bad i guess, and enough for me in all situations.

What sucks a bit is: the Tesla is a real mud/dirt collector....when you dont clean it after a while, you end up with scrubing sounds of the tire.

other than that i guess i own the best 16 and 18 inch wheels in the moment...very happy!!!!

Well, at least you own the best 16-inch wheel :D

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Well, at least you own the best 16-inch wheel :D

At least i own one wheel , where i am totally sure it will not let me down and fail....but wait: its the 18inch one ;-)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

How fast? What's your weight?

Seems the Tesla is notably more efficient. At 5°C and 25-30km/h (and 80kg) I get no more than 60km from my 1300Wh ACM (until it's at 20% or so)! May be also due to wind and dirt path vs. paved road, but still...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Seems the Tesla is notably more efficient. At 5°C and 25-30km/h (and 80kg) I get no more than 60km from my 1300Wh ACM (until it's at 20% or so)! May be also due to wind and dirt path vs. paved road, but still...

From my range tests I don't think it's any different than my ACM or MSuper. Even when I rode it at 15-mph max I only achieved low-40's. When riding it 'normal' (mix of slow and hi-speed) I get about 35-miles. My riding weight is 170-pounds.

My KS14S is more efficient. I get ~40-miles from a 840wh battery.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Is that a KS18S? :D

yeah, the one on the left is a KS18S....a quality wheel, i know you dont know such things ;-)

49 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

dont know if its more efficient...i am 80kg , but this drivings have not been that fast, cruising at 25kmh perhaps?

But i have this findings now over 3-4 chargings....so not that bad at consumption

• Like 1

On 11/9/2017 at 12:06 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Any tips on how to repair wire insulation without cutting the wire to insert heatshrink tubing?

Looks like the self fusing silicone tape @Scatcat  mentioned is pretty inexpensive and easy to find.https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-Tape-1-in-x-3-33-yd-Stretch-and-Seal-Self-Fusing-Silicone-Tape-in-Black-1208952/100206050

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, steve454 said:

Looks like the self fusing silicone tape @Scatcat  mentioned is pretty inexpensive and easy to find.https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-Tape-1-in-x-3-33-yd-Stretch-and-Seal-Self-Fusing-Silicone-Tape-in-Black-1208952/100206050

Yes, that it the type I was talking about. I use a different brand, but that is probably just Home Depot and my provider doing their own rebranding. ;) 

I mostly use a clear variant, so that I can see through it, but that's secondary.

6 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love

welcome to next generation wheels, finally!

Now you know why we are all that happy and freaking out :-)

i have said it before: i doubt you will ever get back to your Ninebot again....Have fun, and highjack this diary whenever you want!!!

36 kph feels fast until it doesn't :D 

Before you know it you will do 40 kph and beyond...

• Like 1

Going from a 500W motor to a 1900W race car motor is crazy.  :wacko:  When I went from my generic 12 kph max at tiltback wheel to the 22 kph Ninebot tiltback it was a breath of fresh air to have that extra 10 kph.  This step up from 22 kph to what seems to be unlimited (for now) speed is scarier than I was expecting maybe due to the extra lean required to accelerate further.

The Ninebot One E+ feels just right in that 20-22 kph doesn't seem, at least for me,  frighteningly fast.  Above 30 kph it starts to feel like what the heck am I doing?  :shock2:  Maybe it's just remembering all those faceplant posts and accidents (@nomad where are ya man?) in the back of my mind is telling my not to go faster.  Driving in a  car at 50 kph seems slow.  Then again I wouldn't be standing on the hood of my car leaning forwards at 50 kph grip-taped hood or no grip-tape.  :efeff54d4a:

Strangly enough it seemed easier to speed things up while trying to match the speed of cars passing by me.  Maybe they were distracting me enough to keep the sense of speed out of my head.  Hopefully the snow will melt further so I can take some longer trips.  What's the fastest speed you've reached on the Tesla, @KingSong69?  @Toshio Uemura?  @n2eus?

What maxium speed have you hit on the GT16, @Scatcat?  What's your usual cruising speed?

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Going from a 500W motor to a 1900W race car motor is crazy.  :wacko:  When I went from my generic 12 kph max at tiltback wheel to the 22 kph Ninebot tiltback it was a breath of fresh air to have that extra 10 kph.  This step up from 22 kph to what seems to be unlimited (for now) speed is scarier than I was expecting maybe due to the extra lean required to accelerate further.

The Ninebot One E+ feels just right in that 20-22 kph doesn't seem, at least for me,  frighteningly fast.  Above 30 kph it starts to feel like what the heck am I doing?  :shock2:  Maybe it's just remembering all those faceplant posts and accidents (@nomad where are ya man?) in the back of my mind is telling my not to go faster.  Driving in a  car at 50 kph seems slow.  Then again I wouldn't be standing on the hood of my car leaning forwards at 50 kph grip-taped hood or no grip-tape.  :efeff54d4a:

Strangly enough it seemed easier to speed things up while trying to match the speed of cars passing by me.  Maybe they were distracting me enough to keep the sense of speed out of my head.  Hopefully the snow will melt further so I can take some longer trips.  What's the fastest speed you've reached on the Tesla, @KingSong69?  @Toshio Uemura?  @n2eus?

Hopefully the Telsa feels stable for you even when riding fast.

Your comment about leaning more has me thinking because I don't have the sense of leaning forward that much. Not to try and teach an old dog (sorry for the metaphor) new tricks, but maybe you should try leaning with your ankles and keep the body more upright, if you understand my description.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

What maxium speed have you hit on the GT16, @Scatcat?  What's your usual cruising speed?

So far 43 kph. I've set my tilt-back to slow me down at 42 kph so that speed was pretty momentary... :roflmao:

Typically wheellog reports my average at 25-28 kph with max in the range of 36-38 kph, those are the speeds I find comfortable. Right now with autumn/winter roads under me, the average speed falls to maybe 22-26 kph and the max to 32-36, depending on temperature and moisture. Cold and wet and the speed goes down - especially the average speed as there are stretches where I go slow because I feel there's some ice beneath me. When you learn how that feels, it's rather easy to compensate.

Next step is getting myself best-grip studs to up my road holding on ice and snow.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Hopefully the Telsa feels stable for you even when riding fast.

Your comment about leaning more has me thinking because I don't have the sense of leaning forward that much. Not to try and teach an old dog (sorry for the metaphor) new tricks, but maybe you should try leaning with your ankles and keep the body more upright, if you understand my description.

What I do is crouch a bit. Both to be more prepared for bumps and stuff, but also I get better speed control without leaning too much.

• Like 1