Gotway Tesla Impressions and Diary

Continued Diary:

People got a bit hysteric after that poor Taiwan Boy crashed his Tesla with a very high Speed....i am personnaly not worried (more) than before!

We know Gotway wheels had a Chance of such a failure, and Sorry, going that Speed whithout any protections and furthermore texting/reading on his phone while speeding....not that good of an idea.

The only Thing i heard later, is that the Tesla was at about 80% and still working after the Crash, so no mosfet blow. As we dont know more it is to early to bash GW on another Quality issue, God knows why that Crash happened...i dont :-)

So on my drives i have gone pretty fast, also, but havent had any Problems by going over bumps whatsoever.....

Unfortunatly i have to work on the front light of the Tesla. It is very bright, one of the brightest and in fact usefull frontlight, but it is shining much to high!

On my evening commutes home on a bicycle track, i now everytime get shouted by riders which come the other way, that they are blinded by the light, and that this is crazy and dangerous for them. And i have to agree, it seams to be a Kind of cree t6 light...which is to bright to shine into others People eyes.

So i have to adjust it (hopefully that works somehow)...or use a third Party light.......

Other than this minor issues....still stunned and flashed by the Tesla :-) Big smile!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Today, I opened up the Tesla.
There were only four screws and it was really easy to open.

Now, first of all, I am happy to report that the problem has been solved. 

1. There was a connector that was completely disconnected (may be on purpose by the shipper for security reasons or the factory had missed to connect it in the first place. I don't know.) 
Anyway, after connecting it and closing the shell again the Tesla still did NOT work.

2. So I opened it up a second time, marked all the cables with color tape, than disconnected all cables and tested the batteries individually one by one as my Chinese vendor asked me to do and as described in the videos they send me.

Both batteries work perfectly fine!

After reconnecting all the cables, the Tesla charged just fine. It is charging now and I will confirm in a few hours, that it has completely charged.

Anyway, thanks again to all of you for your help and support. Much appreciated.

Very good to hear. May your fun times begin soon :cheers:

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Btw.:

I had a solution to my opinion about the to bright lights from the battery LED....i covered them with some black, but transparent foil i had left from Tuning my MSuper red plastic parts.

Now they are perfectly dimmed, i still can see the battery Status from above, but they don't shine like a kindergarten Party anymore :-)

Nice!!!

I also changed the mini rubber pads on the side to the "Standard" 7 rip Baby foam protector....

Also much better than the installed one.....i will get the new "rubber side pads" from my seller, but this will take a good while i guess.

Until then, the solution now Looks and works nice:

U3AMDKe.jpg

Good solutions. If my legs don't adjust to the hardness of the shell I may try some additional padding.

Fortunately the LEDs don't bother me. I know, it's very personal.

Edited by Marty Backe

5 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Continued Diary:

People got a bit hysteric after that poor Taiwan Boy crashed his Tesla with a very high Speed....i am personnaly not worried (more) than before!

We know Gotway wheels had a Chance of such a failure, and Sorry, going that Speed whithout any protections and furthermore texting/reading on his phone while speeding....not that good of an idea.

The only Thing i heard later, is that the Tesla was at about 80% and still working after the Crash, so no mosfet blow. As we dont know more it is to early to bash GW on another Quality issue, God knows why that Crash happened...i dont :-)

So on my drives i have gone pretty fast, also, but havent had any Problems by going over bumps whatsoever.....

Unfortunatly i have to work on the front light of the Tesla. It is very bright, one of the brightest and in fact usefull frontlight, but it is shining much to high!

On my evening commutes home on a bicycle track, i now everytime get shouted by riders which come the other way, that they are blinded by the light, and that this is crazy and dangerous for them. And i have to agree, it seams to be a Kind of cree t6 light...which is to bright to shine into others People eyes.

So i have to adjust it (hopefully that works somehow)...or use a third Party light.......

Other than this minor issues....still stunned and flashed by the Tesla :-) Big smile!!!

Thanks for commenting on that crash. I'm not worried either.

I love the light on mine. It seems to be aimed just like my Mten3, so I don't think it's too high. But maybe I'll have my wife hold it and I'll go down the street to see if it's aimed too high. If it is, I doubt that I'll do anything about it though - I actually don't do a lot of riding at night.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Good solutions. If my legs don't adjust to the hardness of the shell I may try some additional padding.

I needed exactly 4 days, and after that the sticking mini pads dont hurt anymore...i guess it is just the usual "get used" to new wheel and you will also only Need some time :-)

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Fortunately the LEDs don't bother. I know, it's very personal.

Yes, sure! Others wont even recognize this....but for me it took away some of my excitement....so it has to be changed :-)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I love the light on mine. It seems to be aimed just like my Mten3, so I don't think it's too high. But maybe I'll have my wife hold it and I'll go down the street to see if it's aimed too high. If it is, I doubt that I'll do anything about it though - I actually don't do a lot of riding at night.

It is really, really bright...but also really much to high....i did not have People shout on me before ever, and until now it has happened on every of my evening commutes :-(

We have winter here in Germany now, it is getting dark after 5:30 in the afternoon...so because of the season i have to do something as that now will go for the next 4 months.

Guess I have to emigrate to california or asia or somewhere with better EUC weather, haha!

Edited by KingSong69

18 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Set the light to flashing so it looks like your intent is to be seen instead of to see. Then people won't shout at you.

2 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Set the light to flashing so it looks like your intent is to be seen instead of to see. Then people won't shout at you.

That will be even worse for the People....it is just to brigth and in about 50meter distance shining in the eyes of the oncoming traffic.

8 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

It is really, really bright...but also really much to high....i did not have People shout on me before ever, and until now it has happened on every of my evening commutes :-(

We have winter here in Germany now, it is getting dark after 5:30 in the afternoon...so because of the season i have to do something as that now will go for the next 4 months.

Guess I have to emigrate to california or asia or somewhere with better EUC weather, haha!

It gets dark early here too. But because of the nice weather I have a lot more opportunities to ride.

I wonder if you could install a lid (like a baseball cap) on the top to keep some of the light from traveling up.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Flashing a bright light at night is actually even more annoying. The 'protocol' is to only use the flashing feature during the daylight hours to enhance visibility for others to see you.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Marty Backe said:

It gets dark early here too. But because of the nice weather I have a lot more opportunities to ride.

I wonder if you could install a lid (like a baseball cap) on the top to keep some of the light from traveling up.

We will see...i will Report if i find a solution.

I have tried this lid solution on my KS18S...(which has nearly the same Problem, usefull light but much to high).

On the KS18 you have a big lens, where a lid makes some more sense, but on the GW's the lens is micro small, i will try :-)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Compliments for GW Tesla from someone with "KingSong" in his nickname ... ironic, isn't it? But good to hear, nonetheless. :P

To say the Taiwan incident doesn't make me worry, is a lie. However, since I've been doing hour-long 45-50 kph cruises (and still in one piece), I figured Tesla should be fine. Will always be looking out for uneven ground, slowing down and wearing protection anyway. So, fingers-crossed!

• Like 2

You can grab a selfie-stick and just do lowrider shots where you only see the wheel, legs, and scenery.  It would be cool to see more of Singapore!  Especially that beautiful Marina Bay Sands hotel if you ever ride by that place.  :w00t2:

I used to put my iPhone 6 on the end of a selfie-stick and recorded some rides.  Works pretty well, and the video quality isn't too bad.  It's not super great, but most people aren't too picky.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love Thanks for the suggestion. Didn't know a handphone can be placed at the end of a camera-stick till now. Had always thought its a GoPro or something. Well, maybe one day, I may get a stick. Will need to find out where's Marina Bay Sands first ... LOL

(Checks Street Directory)

Ahah! Its the hotel opposite Gardens by the Bay. Icic. Been there once. The bridge connecting these 2 places is the most interesting.

Its the weekends! Time to fire up a game! Ciao! :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Where did you hear about that crash? Is there anything on YouTube about it?

4 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

@Meng Yang When you gonna post up some ride videos?  :popcorn:   Do you ever ride with the Wheelies?

As soon as the weather gets better I will upload some ride videos. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 08/11/2017 at 10:52 PM, KingSong69 said:

Things to still have in mind:

While i like that Tesla...Gotway still isnt there ! As we have read on another thread, GW mosfets fail 3-5% or more, the percentage for the Tesla still has to be seen. While literally the hole world did not see ONE fail of the better Mosfets Kingsong is using!

As long as THIS is not adressed by Hotway...they in my opinion still have a problem!

Unfortunatly the “normal” user of EUC has not in mind how important good boards/hardware are...thats the only luck GW has at the time!

For the question if this will displace my Ks18s...Nope! Never! Today is 3rd day...and i allready totally miss the opportunity to sit down, also to hear music while commuting! Nope! The 18S is still the much better, more adult, grown up wheel ;-)

Yeah, I don’t think I’ll ever understand that... I just use headphones. That way I’m not subjecting everyone around me to my tastes!

For me, when its crowded and I'm faster than the crowd, I'll clip on a Boombotix bluetooth speaker to blast music in front of me to tell people I'm coming through. Sure beats having people in front stepping out suddenly because they were unaware of your arrival. However, if the path is clear, having my Sony MDR-XB950N1 Extra BASS headset on is the best!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kael said:

Yeah, I don’t think I’ll ever understand that... I just use headphones. That way I’m not subjecting everyone around me to my tastes!

I think i will never understand how to use headphones on an EUC, as you are in desperate need to hear your wheel and its warning beeps

:- )

But i get what you are saying. I only use the speakers when driving offroad. there is no one else out there, and if there is someone walking he wont even recognize my taste in the 2 seconds i fly by....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/10/2017 at 7:14 PM, mezzanine said:

Thanks for your thoughts.  I know the two wheels are in different classes and don't easily lend themselves to comparison.  They're two of the newest releases, though, and I think there can be value in comparing where each company is at more generally.  The KS18S seems to have been a bigger jump over previous KS18 models than the Tesla is over other current Gotways.  I would argue there's been more recent improvement at King Song.  It's useful for those who are buying a new wheel because a year ago I'd have argued that Gotway was the better choice and it's easy to carry forward those assumptions unless you look at the newer models from both brands. 

I came around on the 18S shell size after being put off by it like most.  I'm surprised seated riding isn't more popular. 

Seated isn’t as popular for new folks learning.  When people start riding and their feet start going numb before their enjoyment is fulfilled, then they will appreciate the seated position.  I remember when I started on EUC’s and wanted to ride, but my feet would be in so much pain after an hour of riding.  I wanted to ride more but I couldn’t.  That is when I bought the KS18S.  I wanted something with a seat, but didn’t want something like the monster which was 70lbs.  

20 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

This is troubling that a company continues to put out product that doesn’t seem to be tested.  You would think by designing a light, you don’t just slap a bright light on the EUC and call it a day.  No consideration on the flood pattern or how it will affect on coming traffic is just bizarre.  I can’t support a company who continues to display such bad design choices.  If that is how little thought they put into the light design, how much do you think they put into the unit design.  What else did they neglect?  The safety they only started improving, but only after so much backlash.  

I don’t know if I can overlook this and buy the wheel.  Still considering.  This speaks to what the company is about and how their design team works or doesn’t.  LOL

• Like 1