Gotway Tesla Impressions and Diary

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Ow ow ow my calves are still so sore today.  Not as red, but geez I feel like I was a stuntman in one of the 50 Shades of Grey movies with someone beating my legs with a wicker stick.  :rolleyes:   This Tesla is a bit of an S&M ride.  I added some carpet underlay cushions, but they didn't help that much on my ride today.  They just made the top area even wider.  Jeans didn't help either.

<snip>

I think though that the Gotway lies a bit as I don't think I rolled 35 km.  More like 18 km.  Weird.  Also I think the wheel may have forgotten my settings as I heard a three beep warning at one point.  I thought I had turned off the first two alarms and set tiltback to 48 kph with the non-social app.  Might have to recheck that.

<snip>

There are no shortcuts. You have to put in the time to let your body adjust to the new pressure points

From my experience most of the Gotway wheels (except the MSuper) over estimate the range (and therefore speed too) by ~10%. That wouldn't explain your discrepancy. If those are actual values that your wheel has a problem, but I have my doubts. Next time you ride independently track the ride with your phone and compare the numbers. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Also I think the wheel may have forgotten my settings as I heard a three beep warning at one point.  I thought I had turned off the first two alarms and set tiltback to 48 kph with the non-social app.  Might have to recheck that.

the gotway app has a tendency to reset the wheel to default config each time you connect. set things the way you want them and calibrate it then don't use it any more. use wheellog or wheelinfo or that apple one everybody likes. darknessbot i think.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I think though that the Gotway lies a bit as I don't think I rolled 35 km.  More like 18 km.  Weird.  Also I think the wheel may have forgotten my settings as I heard a three beep warning at one point.  I thought I had turned off the first two alarms and set tiltback to 48 kph with the non-social app.  Might have to recheck that.

I'll have to see how my calves do in the future.  Today I had to ride on the outer half of the pedals to make things clear and point my feet out 45° to avoid contacting my sore calves.  I hope once they heal up things will get better.  Reviewing Tishawn's top speed video, I did notice that he has pretty slim legs so maybe it's just me.  I might have to get those shin guards Hirsute uses.  I wish they could have made the side panels slope inward at the top to help follow anatomical leg form.  The Ninebot fits so well it's hard to get adjusted to the square box shape.

After a while of riding and ignoring the calf pain, the Tesla is really fun to go zooming around and leaning into the corners.   I like to do body leans around sweeping turns a la motorcycle style.  There's a lot of loose gravel around though so I have to be careful.  The extra speed capability gives added confidence when riding around cars on the road.  I have a feeling now that they don't feel so inconvenienced to be near a slower moving wheel like the Ninebot as I can now zoom along at higher speeds.  I'm loving the Tesla so far!

I've just looked at the wheelog logs for my trip home in the snow on friday I didn't really get calf strain I did have some major cramps in the arch of my foot though that I had to stop for a number of times, look at my speed i'm playing it pretty safe at the moment:

image.thumb.png.497476cdedb86c6c2f091eebe583f476.png

So back to the Tesla Diary:

I have found something where it really performs totally bad!!!

And thats riding in 10 cm snow ;-) Commuted to work this morning with exspecting rain in the afternoon...which then changes to snow, snow, snow...

No chance of riding the 16 inch 2.125 powerfull wheel in the snow...was so slippery :-) Had to trolley it 90% of the way back....

Looking out of the window and hoping for better weather...."§$% winter!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

So back to the Tesla Diary:

I have found something where it really performs totally bad!!!

And thats riding in 10 cm snow ;-) Commuted to work this morning with exspecting rain in the afternoon...which then changes to snow, snow, snow...

No chance of riding the 16 inch 2.125 powerfull wheel in the snow...was so slippery :-) Had to trolley it 90% of the way back....

Looking out of the window and hoping for better weather...."§$% winter!

So the 18S performs better in the snow? If so why would you say this is? Tire width? Center of Gravity? Pedal height? The very hard pedal setting on the Tesla? I imaging a softer pedal setting would be better in the snow but it is pure speculation on my part. No chance of testing in Tampa Bay.

Speedyfeet posted a video of him riding the V8 in the snow. He appeared to have a hard time. The V8 is known for high pedals and a hard pedal response. It also uses the same 16" 2.125 size tire (Kenda).

6 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

So the 18S performs better in the snow? If so why would you say this is? Tire width? Center of Gravity? Pedal height? The very hard pedal setting on the Tesla? I imaging a softer pedal setting would be better in the snow but it is pure speculation on my part. No chance of testing in Tampa Bay.

Speedyfeet posted a video of him riding the V8 in the snow. He appeared to have a hard time. The V8 is known for high pedals and a hard pedal response. It also uses the same 16" 2.125 size tire (Kenda).

That was more a fun post, sorry if i dont bring it over good enough :-) Language barrier :-)

Sure, because of the bigger and wider wheel 18inch wheels are a bit better in snow, but also my KS18 was to dangerous to drive here yesterday, we have much snow at the moment in Germany! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KingSong69 said:

That was more a fun post, sorry if i dont bring it over good enough :-) Language barrier :-)

Sure, because of the bigger and wider wheel 18inch wheels are a bit better in snow, but also my KS18 was to dangerous to drive here yesterday, we have much snow at the moment in Germany! 

I understood you were jesting about the Tesla being bad because of the snow. But I am actually genuinely interested about riding wheels in the ice and snow. Especially since @Scatcat said he appears more stable than many MTBs in those conditions (he has a 2.5" tire I believe). I'm just interested in the dynamics I guess. Even considering riding below freezing or with the white stuff on the ground seems alien to me. I'm not sure I'd try it. Maybe that is why it fascinates  me so much.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

aaah...and on this icy weather i had my first "little crash":

Driving around with my dog and doing some small circles and fun with her, when the road/way was a bit icy and on one of the steep curves the Tesla slipped away, i have to jump of and it has done its "Gotway dance" (while not that worse because of the better firmware).

But i have to say while the "main" shell is pretty stable, the glossy ring around the wheel is a real bad idea!!!

It is as brittle as my Msuper glossy shell and had some pretty hefty damage from this fall.I dont understand why they did not made the outer ring the same matte black as the main shell. Would be more stable and also look much cooler.

But in the end i was lucky :-)

At the end of the "Gotway dance" the trolley was thrown out because of the "dance rotation" and just before it gets busted the wheel came to a stop and layed on his side. So now i have 2 big 15cm big scuffs on the glossy part of the outer ring, but no else damage!

That's too bad your shell got scratched up, but you knew that it would happen eventually. Brittle might not be the best word, because it didn't actually crack, did it? Just got all scratched up?

Surprised and disappointed that is spun so much that the trolley handle came out (on mine the trolley handle is stiff and doesn't pull out that easy). At least yours didn't break :thumbup:

6 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

That was more a fun post, sorry if i dont bring it over good enough

No, it came across as "a fun post".  I'm actually surprised it didn't feel good/safe.  I remember that video of a guy in a big US city riding through deep snow.  It looked like a lot of fun.  Maybe it was not as deep as 10cm.  Its been snowing here, but the ground is wet so it isn't settling.  I want to try riding in snow :(

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cannings said:

I've just looked at the wheelog logs for my trip home in the snow on friday I didn't really get calf strain I did have some major cramps in the arch of my foot though that I had to stop for a number of times, look at my speed i'm playing it pretty safe at the moment:

I'll have to give WheelLog a try instead of Gyrometrics.  Unfortunately there is no WheelLog for iPhone.  Photos!  We need more calf photos!  I'm starting to think I've been endowed with double D calves, or I'm just not riding correctly.  I get the foot pain as well sometimes, but when I recognize it I try to mentally relax the foot muscles and do some shifting of the feet side to side and fore and aft which helps.  It just seems like the Tesla upper side edges contact right at where the bottom of my calf muscle bulges out to the side.

Over bumpy sidewalks and road/sidewalk transitions, you do have to grip onto the wheel to avoid flying off at 30-35 kph I find.  Also I notice more contact at the calf area during what must be some turns and braking.  It sort of rubs against the pants which rubs against the legs like a friction spot.  Oh well, have to give it some more time I guess as there're no shortcuts!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Probably Chooch:

Yep. that's the one.  Well done. Looks totally awesome.  Note the numerous slippery patches he "finds".  The wheel twists sideways violently.  It's freaky when it happens to you, but as you can see, most of the time you can ride through it at these moderate speeds.  Dig the eastern block (3;30ish) dude in the pimp daddy fur coat, psychedelic tee shirt, and peace sign, WITH a hip flask of Burbone.  Priceless.

• Like 1

Ok, i have to admit...i am not 12( or 16, depending on the behaviour) so i am not that sporty guy with 48 anymore :-)

But i have tried and done a lot of riding with my Ks18A ...so iam used to snow, icy grounds!

I have the feeling, that as more reactive and agile these wheels get, they are getting worse for driving in the snow, as the tire tends to slip/rotate further than on the less powerful wheels. My opinion, perhaps i am not just talented enough for such a weather!

@Marty Backe i will do a photo of the "scratch"..for me brittle is the right word of this outer ring...some pieces just seam to have exploded away, the plastic seams just not bendy enough...i will try to show on the photo.

But yeah, i dont mind scratches...its just that the rest of the shell has nothing and this glossy ring so much damage...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

@Marty Backe i will do a photo of the "scratch"..for me brittle is the right word of this outer ring...some pieces just seam to have exploded away, the plastic seams just not bendy enough...i will try to show on the photo.

Perhaps the cold contributed to brittleness resulting in breakage where normally it would have been ok. Not cool though. 

4 hours ago, Bryan Wells said:

does the "darknessbot" app work for the Gotway Tesla?

I don't use an Apple phone, but I find it interesting that the authors of darknessbot differentiate between the Gotway wheels when there is no real difference between them.

I use a version of the Gotway app that was written before the Monster, Mten3, and Tesla yet is works fine with all of these wheels.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bryan Wells said:

I got the chance to ride a Tesla today, HOLY COW!!! it left me with my mouth wide open all day! I have never ridden a wheel more balanced, more POWERFUL, more everything all in one package!! Words cannot explain how much this makes my ks-18a feel like a 5 year olds toy! and my ninebot... where do I begin, my ninebot feels like a ebay knock off:o!

it's the first wheel that makes riding at my wife's cycling speeds feel like a joke!! where all my other wheels are beeping and feeling unstabile the Tesla is indescribably locked in!

The one wheel that is even better for racing bicyclists is the Monster. Once I was cruising at 25-mph+ and had a bicyclist drafting me for a couple of miles :D

• Like 1

Welcome to the Tesla Members Club, Bryan.  We hope you have enjoyed your stay and partake of the free wind swept breezy feelings as you zoom by at higher velocities.  You'll soon be forgetting about matching cyclists' speeds and start keeping up with automobile traffic to a certain point.  :efee6b18f3:

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

I understood you were jesting about the Tesla being bad because of the snow. But I am actually genuinely interested about riding wheels in the ice and snow. Especially since @Scatcat said he appears more stable than many MTBs in those conditions (he has a 2.5" tire I believe). I'm just interested in the dynamics I guess. Even considering riding below freezing or with the white stuff on the ground seems alien to me. I'm not sure I'd try it. Maybe that is why it fascinates  me so much.

Nope, i have a 2.125" tyre.

Right now it's resting, since we have a layer of sludge and ice on the roads. I'm waiting for my best-grip studs. I've ordered a hundred and expect to use somewhere between 60 to 90.

I really do hope the rubber in the tyre is thick enough :D it needs to be at least 8mm thick to have some margin for the studs. Does anyone know what kind of thicknesses we're talking about in our tyres?

1000_medium.jpg.7832b1eaa14a742c38e793a51526c858.jpg

The depths into the tyre is 6.2mm and as you see there is no sharp edges inwards, but you still need a couple of mm left of rubber to avoid the tyre becoming unduly vulnerable.

20 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Ok, i have to admit...i am not 12( or 16, depending on the behaviour) so i am not that sporty guy with 48 anymore :-)

But i have tried and done a lot of riding with my Ks18A ...so iam used to snow, icy grounds!

I have the feeling, that as more reactive and agile these wheels get, they are getting worse for driving in the snow, as the tire tends to slip/rotate further than on the less powerful wheels. My opinion, perhaps i am not just talented enough for such a weather!

I don't know what course to recommend as I have this problem of traction too.

One wishes the wheel to be as hard and reactive as possible since you'll have less chance of getting hung up on obstacles.

One wishes the wheel to be as soft as possible so you won't break traction on low friction surfaces.

These are contradictory desires.

You can confirm how much better your wheel works on gravel using soft settings; once you lose traction on gravel that's it, your wheel is tilting and doing a burnout, and you might drop the wheel.

If for sure you know you're riding on poor friction places then use the soft settings, we know you will get better traction and if you break traction the wheel won't immediately go bonkers trying to level you. Just avoid obstacles.

My worst crash was a low-friction obstacle (PVC pipe coated in dust) which took me months to heal from.

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

I don't know what course to recommend as I have this problem of traction too.

One wishes the wheel to be as hard and reactive as possible since you'll have less chance of getting hung up on obstacles.

One wishes the wheel to be as soft as possible so you won't break traction on low friction surfaces.

These are contradictory desires.

You can confirm how much better your wheel works on gravel using soft settings; once you lose traction on gravel that's it, your wheel is tilting and doing a burnout, and you might drop the wheel.

If for sure you know you're riding on poor friction places then use the soft settings, we know you will get better traction and if you break traction the wheel won't immediately go bonkers trying to level you. Just avoid obstacles.

My worst crash was a low-friction obstacle (PVC pipe coated in dust) which took me months to heal from.

hmmh,

guess my comment was meant in another direction. I have no Problems with a hard and reactive agile wheel on other Kind of surfaces.

The thing why i found the Tesla (o my 18S) to be contraproductive in snow and ice, is that this nowadays wheel have such a big power and reactiveness that on this icy or snowy Setting the wheel tends to slip/rotate when leaning a bit in. But i dont have such a Problem on other surfaces like gravel or dust. Just on ice/snow. On gravel/dust my weight is still big enough to produce enough friction.....

But i get your Point!!!

But also, as said before, this is even no real Problem, as it was just meant as a joke that the Tesla behavior is bad on ice. My 18S was struggling also, we just have had very bad weather here at the Moment. Instead of a 30minutes drive home by car, yesterday a friend needed about 5 hours :-) That says all i guess....

• Upvote 1