Inmotion "V13" announcement forthcoming!

mrelwood

On 12/17/2021 at 5:56 AM, Cecily Inmotion said:

More attractive functions will be released in the future.

Hello, Cecily! I just received my V12 and it has issues with the battery. It was not in transport mode as well. People want more safe and better quality wheels. Just last week, in  London, on all common transport, all electric scooters and EUCs were banned. The reason: there were several incidents when scooters started burning ( IP rating not important :facepalm:??) on trains and on the underground( which lets admit it is dangerous) and the London Fire Brigade advice was that all e-scooters and EUCs be banned. That was not OK, it is true, because, if the GM Volts start combusting, you don’t ban all electric cars. It is not the first time when the this government has taken unjust decisions against PEVs. But still, the fact that our PEVs could catch fire at any moment, is, in my opinion, very WRONG. Many of us want safety first, attractive functions after. We have our houses and our families in danger all the time, and that is not ok.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

!! Pictures of the suspension design--turns out it's NOT the v11 design. !!

https://ibb.co/7J0CPVL
https://ibb.co/mh92YWQ
https://ibb.co/mXMpK6V

Source: https://facebook.com/groups/hongkongeuc/posts/1259788831166463/

Look at this leak!... :) This is much better than V11 and with a greater travel (according to the comments).

Edited by That Guy

3 hours ago, AtlasP said:

!! Pictures of the new InMotion suspension design--turns out it's NOT the v11 design. !!

https://ibb.co/mXMpK6V
https://ibb.co/mh92YWQ
https://ibb.co/7J0CPVL 

Source: https://facebook.com/groups/hongkongeuc/posts/1259788831166463/

Nice upgrade. One more wheel for me to be waited. The next years EUC market is very interesting. 

• Like 2

I hope that the battery capacity will match the new 3600 Wh standard.

But I'm not too hopefully and expect something closer to 2700 Wh instead, from a combination of the shape of the body and Inmotion's prioritization of keeping the wheels narrow for ergonomic reasons.

Let's see.

1 hour ago, Unbihexium said:

Holy crap. So we're getting a high performance wheel with a good suspension design and good ergonomics? This already has even greater potential than I had hoped. If this wheel also comes out with a higher voltage system to allow for more torque, then this would be the holy grail of wheels! My inner IM fanboy is absolutely giddy! 

deja vu. Eventaully we may even find the hype to be true. Fingers crossed, but whoa is those that count on it.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 3:18 AM, supercurio said:

I hope that the battery capacity will match the new 3600 Wh standard.

So how many wheel come with this "new standard " of yours. For me to be standard it must be used by most newer wheels for on sale. 

And just slapping on more cells is not necessary a better solution. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AtlasP said:

100% agree. Person calling 3600 Wh "standard" is absolutely bonkers. The crazy-heavy wheels are EUCs jumping the shark.

Disagree, there's an already established new standard for the high speed, long range wheel category and it's 3600 Wh:

• Monster Pro
  • Commander
  • Incoming: Sherman Max

As Sherman user, my perception shifted to

1. 3000+ Wh: long range
  2. 2700 Wh: mid range
  3. 1500-1800 Wh: standard range
  4. anything below: short range.

Below 3000 Wh, for me it's a no buy for a fast wheel, because range gets quickly below 80 km when using the speed.

Then with a nice tire and after a few hundred km on and off-road, weight is really not a problem at all in terms of handling, quite the contrary (except very technical off-road - 70 kg rider).
Stairs: I roll the Sherman up and down.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 2

Yes! A year or two ago, 1800Wh was the standard for the high end, and 2700Wh or >3000Wh was fantastical. Nowadays 1800Wh are the lower end of what I personally would even consider, and only >3000Wh is worth calling "long range". When the KS S20 was revealed? "Only 2200Wh" is its biggest drawback.

There are a lot of riders happy with ~1000Wh range who don't even see the need for more. Others will always use all the range they are given.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Others will always use all the range they are given.

Absolutely. That doesn’t make it commercially viable to chase the limit with those few people though.

Inmotion has traditionally made wheels that are great for a large segment of users. They have been pushing their own boundaries for a few years, but I still don’t think they are ready to shoot themselves in the foot by making a Monster like seller of a product. (Read: “extremely rare”.)

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Monster pro is in a completely different size category, Sherman Max is not out yet, and Commander was just released. How any single new product could create a standard in other than marketing talk, I don’t know.

Monster Pro is out for about a year, Commander delivery being now and Sherman Max has been demonstrated, is coming and it seems is in production now.

Here, this discussion is merely speculation on a future announcement. When will the "V13" product actually be shipping to customers?
1.5 to 2 years, right? 1 year at the very least for the 1st batch.

For most, if this wheel is indeed "high speed long range", it will be compared to its peers in the category in 2 years time.
That's why it's fair to compare it to wheels released a year ago or today.

And that’s the key; your perception shifted. Unfortunately your perception does not create or define the standards that others were talking about.

Yes of course, there's no international consortium defining standards so it's all a matter of experience, which then drives perception.
Ask those who have been riding Sherman what they consider long range is.

I predict the answers will range from: I don't need all that range to - I would like more, mostly depending on what they use it for and their riding style / use of the speed available.
I think it's not trivial to guess how much range decreases when increasing speed 10 to 20%, and actually using it in longer rides before actually owning one.

It's somewhat ironic that you mention marketing here, as you are the lead influencer @Inmotion Global chose to hype up their incoming product ;). Or should I say hype up its hype.
Not a critic as I think it's great to develop relationships with OEMs, but let's be sure to put things in context.

My message as experienced long range fast wheel rider: if the capacity is below 2700 Wh, I guarantee that most will be disappointed when they want to use both range and speed to some extend and will be longing for more.

And in 2 years time when this wheel be delivered, 3600 Wh will be a consolidated standard in long range group rides, with a bunch of older 2700 Wh EX.N and Sherman bringing their chargers in the packpack.

An example: To me it’s normal to go everywhere with my EUC, year around. That doesn’t make it a standard or a normal mode of transport, since I understand that I belong to a minority, and it is completely alien to an average person.

I’m pretty confident that the “V13” won’t be in your radar then, I’m afraid.

Yes since I run out of battery on the Sherman routinely in the long rides style that I enjoy and charge at 12A to alleviate that, 

It’s not the handling while riding that makes people want lighter wheels. It’s the handling while not riding. I can’t justify buying a wheel that I can’t lift in the trunk of my car without breaking my back. My guess is that my view is closer to a standard…

It might be a key here, as you mention a car.

I don't own a car, and an EUC is my way of exploring and a car replacement.
I'm not driving somewhere to ride: I ride there.
For this reason, a Sherman Max upgrade is already tempting. Less range in in 1-2 years is DOA for my use case.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, supercurio said:

It might be a key here, as you mention the car.

I believe the car trunk was just an example -- the important threshold is the ability to safely lift the wheel without the help of other persons or machinery. Beyond this point the portability of the EUC is lost, it's just compactness that remains. That threshold is certainly personal -- trained men might be comfortable with an Abrams, I on the other hand am reluctant to buy a V12 primarily because of its weight (and 1st-batch issues which seemingly have become a universal rule across all EUC releases)

On the other hand I agree with @supercurio that for most fast riders a large battery is crucial precisely for increased wh consumption reasons. Hopefully battery tech will improve at least gradually and the EUC market will only expand offering something for everyone.

• Like 2

Yes @yoos there's that. I meant car as car ownership as significant factor tho.

If you own a car you're likely to put the wheel in the trunk, drive wherever and ride where you wanted
And maybe your target is a forest, a coast and you'll ride there 30-50km and be done with it.

But if you don't own a car like me, you'll happily ride 45km to go there, enjoy that place, and ride 45km back.

Then suddenly the perception of what "long range" is dramatically shifted due to car ownership.
Large wheels like the V13 don't make much sense to put in a car trunk routinely. It's not a very good use case for them.

They make more sense to be the actual vehicle and not a last-mile thing anymore.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, OldFartRides said:

What ??!! No v11 give away ? What a waste of time getting an instagram page. That is a rip.

Yes, That's not a professional move at all. Very unpleasant to see a presumed reliable company playing cheap tricks like that. I guess their word has no value? 

@Cecily Inmotion

Edited by Rotan
  • Like 2