eWheels Tucson Service Center Fire, Site Destroyed

Jason McNeil

12 minutes ago, Giffy said:

have there been any logistics published about how many wheels are produced each year?

Likely eWheels would know because they have a large rider base and is in the business for the longest (I think). 

22 minutes ago, OldFartRides said:

Jason,

Remember that old Christmas movie “It’s a Wonderful Life” ?

George Bailey is at the end of his rope and ready to jump off a bridge. He gets to see what life would be like in his little town we’re it not for him being there. He sees how his kindness and good deeds affected all those lives around him.

When he gets home all the people he helped out over the years come to his house and help out with what they can spare.

There’s an old saying: “ Accepting the gift honors the giver”.

This little community wants to help out in this crisis.

Just a thought.

Best,

Exactly... Exactly.  

Really unfortunate! Not a pleasant sight to see wheels go up on fire. They all are my lovely toys, though I don't own them all. I know Jason's passion for these wheels and business will make a strong come back and every wheeler is behind him! Best of luck!

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

Of that is down to how people use their wheels or design or quality control I can't say.

I think theres definitely an element of that in the mix. Theres no doubt in my mind that GW riders push their wheels harder than any other brand, and could account for some percentage of the fires, but we do seem to have had a spike in issues since the 900Wh packs were created. It would be really nice to just know what the hell is going on. From my knowledge, discounting the abuse that riders give GW wheels in general, there didn't seem to be any unusually great number of fires in the good old MSX days, where either 800Wh or 615Wh packs were used. And again to my knowledge, the BMS's haven't had any major design changes over the years either.

And clearly Jason had his concerns over the 900Wh packs.

So what gives?

From where I'm standing, this mayhem all started when they went to 21700 cells. Anyone got any better ideas?

• Like 2

My condolences to Jason and his business. I have purchased 4 wheels from him and he has taken cared of any issues I've had. Customer service is first class, and I know, I've taught it for 15 years. 

While this setback is terrible, I know Jason and eWheels will recover from this. I plan on getting more wheels, and I will keep buying them from eWheels. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Planemo said:

......editor cut....

And clearly Jason had his concerns over the 900Wh packs.

So what gives?

From where I'm standing, this mayhem all started when they went to 21700 cells. Anyone got any better ideas?

Now I don't want to take the focus away from the tragic event that occurred.

My post your replied to was my "diplomatic" way  of saying not just one thing cause problems. And the more things are pushed to the limit the higher risk you have  the weakest link will give. Most that buy a GW, use it for how they have market their wheel. Pushing them hard, and it is easy to forget that it puts the wheel under stress. 

If you do the same to a car that isn't build for this treatment then that causes problems too. Just as an example.If once buy a state of art race car, then it is designed not with small brake and ordinary suspension. And the price goes up according. But this doesn't work like this in GW "performance" wheels. 

I really do feel for Jason having been stuck in this situation. However some questions do arise... If the fire started in the parts area how did it spread into the pack storage area? there should be proper separation from these areas especially when there is a large amount of packs sitting in reserve. Working with large amounts of lithium batteries can be quite dangerous, proper storage and fire suppression is a must. He says the packs were stored in an industrial refrigeration unit. From what I understand those would be full of flammable insulation? I feel like a steel shipping container with A/C would do just as well and be more resistant to fire. I'm sad that he has stated a Gotway 900wh pack is the "prime suspect". At this time this is just speculation, all its done so far is start to turn this thread into a "I hate Gotway" echo chamber. Yes, there have been issues with their packs. Yes, their build quality and QC could be a LOT better. Yes, the shift to an LG 21700 with a 28A in 4P max discharge is sketchy on a motor capable of pulling 60+A. But lets not blame them right away. Sorry this happened to you Jason, you guys have really pushed the EUC market foreword. Hopefully you can recover from this catastrophe.

• Like 3

Don't know why Jason was treating the Begode 900wh packs differently.

He might have confidential inside information that we are not aware of.

Perhaps quality of battery pack assemblers may vary between differing companies.

There would have been a reason for eWheels to contract a third party to supply battery packs to replace the Begode/Gotway ones.

Product recall is an expensive undertaking.

Arrival at such a serious decision would not have been taken lightly.

It seems to clearly demonstrate that the assessed risk was so high that it was warranted.

Ewheels would presumably have better information than members.

Am aware that Elon Musk's tabless batteries are being hailed as a significant breakthrough in battery safety/technology/manufacturing as it greatly reduces the likelihood of catastrophic failure due to welding faults/burrs that can cause internal short circuiting.