eWheels Tucson Service Center Fire, Site Destroyed

Jason McNeil

The quality of Gotway/Begode is such that eWheels were in the process of implementing a battery recall.

Purchasers in the US not through eWheels, and others in countries around the world, are thus left exposed and vulnerable to dangerous batteries in Begode wheels?

Or is Gotway/Begode undertaking with other distributors around the world to also implement a similar recall?

Edited by Paul A
typo
  • Like 2

I'm so sorry this happened. As has been echoed by many in this thread already, I'm a newcomer to this sport and the trust and confidence that this community has in eWheels has given me a lot of reassurance in owning and operating these devices and I've referred everybody who's asked where to get one to eWheels. It's refreshing to see a business so dedicated and loyal to it's customers in a time when it seems every other business is just as eager to cut corners at the risk of it's customers wellbeing in the pursuit of profit. I'm more than happy to donate and help in any other way I can.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Paul A said:

The quality of Gotway/Begode is such that eWheels were in the process of implementing a battery recall.

Purchasers in the US not through eWheels, and others in countries around the world, are thus left exposed and vulnerable to dangerous batteries in Begode wheels?

Or is Gotway/Begode undertaking with other distributors around the world to also implement a similar recall?

I believe offhand, I can think of 5 cases of the wheels with 900wh packs exploding for no apparent reason. 3 Nikolas and 2 MSPs. Not sure if it happens with the larger wh models. makes me wonder also if part of the problem is the LG M50T cells cant safely handle the discharge of these wheels in just the 4P setup. But if Jason was planning a recall, we can be certain there were other cases of fire that were not posted publicly.

• Like 2

The planned recall was for 900wh Gotway/Begode battery packs.

The video is of an 1800wh Nikola.

That would presumably be two 900wh batteries?

Think the video gives context to the recall, regardless of what the cause of the fire was.

Edited by Paul A
Typo

On 11/1/2021 at 11:22 AM, Paul A said:

Don't know for sure yet if the cause was the batteries of a particular manufacturer.

They are the stated prime suspect.

Investigations may or may not be conclusive.

Possibility of foul play also mentioned.

Have stated the same in previous post.

On 11/1/2021 at 4:08 AM, Jason McNeil said:

After the similar EUCO incident, we reviewed the storage/handling procedures for battery packs, with particular focus to the 900Wh Begodes—storing them in a low humdity industrial refrigeration unit—it's too early to say what the cause of fire was, but ruling out external factors, those packs are certainly the prime suspects.

Jason has stated that those Gotway/Begode battery packs are the prime suspects.

Edited by Paul A
Typo
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear this news. I've been worried about how the present day economy issues were affecting the EUC distribution. It seems that just as shipping is slowing down and becoming more expensive, the demand for EUCs have also become higher than ever. I've been wondering if the demand has outpaced the supply creating longer wait times alongside the shipping issues? If so, has production been scaling up to meet these demands? Also maybe off topic, have there been any logistics published about how many wheels are produced each year?

Either way, hold onto your wheels, we're in for a bumpy road ahead.