Incredibly bad look for this community.

Roadpower

5 hours ago, Sumako said:

OMG! The whole point is, we have been dealing with this issue of people getting hit by cyclists and skaters for ever and a day and there has NEVER been insurance for any of these cases. Y’all in the UK have free healthcare/socialized medicine. I can’t imagine why any of you need insurance for your PEVs in the first place if medicine and healthcare is covered in the first place. But I digress. 

What has the UK done when a cyclist or skater accidentally hit a pedestrian? 

Cyclists and skaters are not traveling at speed of 40+ mph. In America insurance is not required in every state. But registration is. Officers and the state need a way to identify you in case of traffic infractions or accidents. Many states do actually require a bicycle registration to be legal to ride in the road (generally it costs between 1$ and 10$)

I understand you dont think unicycles should travel over 25 mph but thats clearly not the direction they are going here anyways. The monster pro tops out at 59 and 40 mph is a common speed for its riders. 

Other countries may not share the trend but here in America interest in slow wheels is low. We do not have the infrastructure to support anything under 30 mph. Riding on bike paths and sidewalks can be pleasant, but its a HORRIBLE mode of transportation. Way to many people and animals and obstacles to be used regularly for travel. 

Road riding however has been catching the eye of the public. The majority of new riders here are looking at 30+ mph wheels in my anecdotal experience. Near everyone i meet on smaller slower wheels upgrades within months to a 35+ model. 

Our legal status is very clear, one wheeled devices are unclassified in 90% of regions. Some specific counties and towns have specific ordinances that catch EUC, but to my knowledge no state wide law covers us. They all specify devices with 2 or more wheels. In my real world experince, i have interacted with officers at least 40+ times while riding. 90% of those interactions are just "wow that things badass, you guys be safe!". Twice members of our group rides have been pulled over, one was a bike he caught going to fast (let off with a warning) and once was for my buddies trike which is unregistered (let off with a warning).

Only one time has an officer ever had a "negative" interation with us. And that was because we where at a street crossing in the rail trail bike path and he told us we are not allowed to ride in that path and asked us to please ride in the road. 

We just did a 100 mile ride from providence to Newport the other day, more than half of which was road riding. No issues at all riding 30+ in the streets here. Insurance requirements vary from state to state but i dont think its asking much at all for us to register our devices 

Edited by GoGeorgeGo
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Sumako said:

Asking for laws that force other EUC riders to go to the  DMV and pay for registration on their EUC, plus buy mandatory liability insurance, and pay more taxes on their EUC, every year is DUMB, STUPID. To suggest such legislation is DISCONNECTED, as in TONE DEAF to the complete dynamics of the entire community’s diverse economic backgrounds as well as being lost on the fact that EUC’s are in no way on the same level as a car or MotorCycle. If you think your EUC is a motorcycle of some sort, you’re living in fantasy land.  

Once again... please try and think worldwide.... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sumako said:

OMG! The whole point is, we have been dealing with this issue of people getting hit by cyclists and skaters for ever and a day and there has NEVER been insurance for any of these cases. Y’all in the UK have free healthcare/socialized medicine. I can’t imagine why any of you need insurance for your PEVs in the first place if medicine and healthcare is covered in the first place. But I digress. 

What has the UK done when a cyclist or skater accidentally hit a pedestrian? 

@Sumako this post brings me hope. You've finally acknowledged there are members here that Iive in the UK. Now please try and discover the other members that live in the other almost 200 countries.

You see, it's sad that your pass judgment on how dumb and stupid we all are around the world, without having the slightest notion or idea on how our laws, police and civil responsabilites work. 

Let me teach you one little thing about my country, Portugal. A lapriscopic surgery here in Portugal Costa as much at a private hospital as doing five stitches in the US ( I know,, because my daughter did that surgery on her knee ligaments whinge my nephew in the US paid the same for five stitches. 

And a luxury apartment here pays a yearly tax of about 700€... A year! Get the picture? These area just two of many examples. 

Now back to EUCs... our laws have recently been updated and when the police find out about them... They'll apprehend our 2000€ EUCs at once... because we don't have a licence or insurance. However if we had, and as you might have guessed, they would be very cheap... we'd avoid a sea of problems. 

So how dumb or stupid are we here in Portugal for wanting to legalize our EUCs through licences and insurances? 

Please learn a bit more about other cultures, laws and nations. It would help you. 

Edited by Paulo Mesquita
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Unventor said:

Let's roll it back a 10sec or so. I don't think they anticipated an EUC to be that fast up on then. After all 2 set of people made decisions to cross and that could be done safely.

This is a very good example to why cities do not have highway speed limits in pedestrian areas.

One frame show one situation but it might not reflect eye contact that could have allowed all to pass each other in a different situation.

It become reckless riding the moment you are riding in a way that none around you expect you too. That mean both in terms in speeds, lane shifting or in areas you are not supposed to be. 

The pedestrian s are in a designated area for them to cross. It does not mean they can do whatever they please, but they do hold the advantage to right of way. At least to traffic laws I am familiar with. 

Once someone decide they are above the law it becomes a very dangerous situation very fast. Riding or driving fast do not make it better in any way. 

Funny thing... The cultural differences. In Portugal pedestrians ALWAYS have right of way on marked crosswalks, whatever their behavior. They can even dance the rumba or a waltz and we riders have to give them right of way... always and in any circumstances. 

4 minutes ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

Funny thing... The cultural differences. In Portugal pedestrians ALWAYS have right of way on marked crosswalks, whatever their behavior. They can even dance the rumba or a waltz and we riders have to give them right of way... always and in any circumstances. 

In any unlit crosswalk, pedestrians always have the right of way. If you see a pedestrian waiting at a crosswalk, you are supposed to stop and allow them to cross. This is standard throughout the USA

Lit crosswalks are different however, if you cross without the light that is jaywalking and you can be ticketed the same as crossing at a non crosswalk. But the traffic signals all communicate to the walking signals and if the signal says its safe to walk that means there are red lights and no vehicle should be moving. As a pedestrian you should never assume its safe to cross without looking both ways, but crossing a lit crosswalk when given the walk signal is as safe as it gets and most people would never assume a car would blow through the intersection during that moment. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

@Sumako this post brings me hope. You've finally acknowledged there are members here that Iive in the UK. Now please try and discover the other members that live in the other almost 200 countries.

You see, it's sad that your pass judgment on how dumb and stupid we all are around the world, without having the slightest notion or idea on how our laws, police and civil responsabilites work. 

Let me teach you one little thing about my country, Portugal. A lapriscopic surgery here in Portugal Costa as much at a private hospital as doing five stitches in the US ( I know,, because my daughter did that surgery on her knee ligaments whinge my nephew in the US paid the same for five stitches. 

And a luxury apartment here pays a yearly tax of about 700€... A year! Get the picture? These area just two of many examples. 

Now back to EUCs... our laws have recently been updated and when the police find out about them... They'll apprehend our 2000€ EUCs at once... because we don't have a licence or insurance. However if we had, and as you might have guessed, they would be very cheap... we'd avoid a sea of problems. 

So how dumb or stupid are we here in Portugal for wanting to legalize our EUCs through licences and insurances? 

Please learn a bit more about other cultures, laws and nations. It would help you. 

@Paulo Mesquita- Your brings up a very important point, and one that should have been spread across the board when the discussion started with being upset over the Ally Cat race. USA issues on the subject and the rest of the world are so different, this thread should have been split up into 2 or more threads. There should have been a separate thread for us US citizens to discuss the matter with our concerns and a separate version for the international community. It’s also important to acknowledge that what happens in the USA is not going to have any impact on those of you Globally. Culture/laws are different in the states than what other countries deal with. 

So, Paulo I do apologize if you felt that my comments about asking for regulations/licenses and alike were aimed at you and your international friends. My posts were really aimed more towards any UC rider in the states; because EUCs here in America are already street legal. We have laws guiding EVs.  Obviously other countries do not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CarlW said:

Issues surrounding the original discussion are not complicated.  I am a member of the human race as well as this forum and the behavior shown in the video is unacceptable to me and many others.  I called it out for what is was and posted  "a display of disrespect for others, rules of the road, and lack of common courtesy"  25 other members agreed with my participation in the discussion.  I re-entered this conversation when I saw more disrespect from you towards another member.  Regardless of my EUC experience I have more than enough life experience to identify and call out disrespectful behavior.        

@CarlW You took a shot at comment quoting my initial post about how “asking for compelled DMV registration of our EUCs is stupid”. As I have said, before,  You completely missed the point of that larger comment because you didn’t catch why I said that compelled registration was not needed, and the pursuit of it to be a legislated obligation for all EUC riders is “Stupid” “Dumb” and “Disconnected”. We already have laws that govern EUCs. It’s very simple: You don’t ride faster than 25mph on roads and streets. You may ride past 25mph in any bike-lane unless specified.  In fact the 25mph speed limit on roads/streets/highways is quite genius; as if the original law was written by someone who knows EUCs extremely well. I’ll post about that later.

I am excited for you about your upcoming acquisition of your new 16X. Word’s can not describe how you will change internally once you learn to ride an EUC. The impact on you will be intense once you learn that you can move down the street at 25mph, with nothing but your ride armor to protect you. The freedom you will feel will be the most invigorating experience of your life. I do hope you hang on to that feeling. It’s meditative. 

When you learn to ride your new EUC, your thoughts and ideas about being on an EUC will change from what you are assuming now. I mean you may still hang on to the more conservative ideals about riding that you have learned from others here, but you will have the experience. This new experience could completely inspire you to see a different point of view. You may not change your thoughts on the Alley Cat race but you might feel different about government getting in the middle of another rider’s experience. You could end up seeing my point of view.

My overall point is this; you won’t know exactly how you will feel about these topics and issues until you are riding your new wheel on the daily. After learning your first wheel in on it’s way, to me, your comments are going to be assumptions and expectations; not real experiences. Best of luck with your new journey.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sumako said:

@Paulo Mesquita- Your brings up a very important point, and one that should have been spread across the board when the discussion started with being upset over the Ally Cat race. USA issues on the subject and the rest of the world are so different, this thread should have been split up into 2 or more threads. There should have been a separate thread for us US citizens to discuss the matter with our concerns and a separate version for the international community. It’s also important to acknowledge that what happens in the USA is not going to have any impact on those of you Globally. Culture/laws are different in the states than what other countries deal with.

You underestimate the power of American culture. 

Today almost all over the world, an engagement ring must have a diamond.  The worldwide fashion for giving a beloved woman diamonds began with a few Hollywood movies and words from Marilyn Monroe;  Diamonds are girl's best friends.  Before these films, the diamond was one of many gemstones and no one linked it to a woman.  

Did you know?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Sumako said:

When you learn to ride your new EUC, your thoughts and ideas about being on an EUC will change from what you are assuming now. I mean you may still hang on to the more conservative ideals about riding that you have learned from others here, but you will have the experience. This new experience could completely inspire you to see a different point of view. You may not change your thoughts on the Alley Cat race but you might feel different about government getting in the middle of another rider’s experience. You could end up seeing my point of view.

These words sound like the voice of a cheap oracle :)

I'm sorry I couldn't help myself :P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sumako said:

So, Paulo I do apologize if you felt that my comments about asking for regulations/licenses and alike were aimed at you and your international friends. My posts were really aimed more towards any UC rider in the states; because EUCs here in America are already street legal. We have laws guiding EVs.  Obviously other countries do not.

@Sumako thanks for the clearing up. For a moment I thought I'd met my 1st troll 😂😂😂😂.

As I mentioned long before, this is probably the most important thread this community has ever or will ever discuss. Here we might be sketching many strategies and even country lobbies that will determine the future of EUCs. Well see... 

21 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Now there's a good oxymoron :)

Sorry.  It's Google, I'm linguistically illiterate - I wrote "differently intelligent" but Google changed this text to: American Culture:huh:

Edited by Mark13i
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mark13i said:

You underestimate the power of American culture. 

Today almost all over the world, an engagement ring must have a diamond.  The worldwide fashion for giving a beloved woman diamonds began with a few Hollywood movies and words from Marilyn Monroe;  Diamonds are girl's best friends.  Before these films, the diamond was one of many gemstones and no one linked it to a woman.  

Did you know?

@Mark13i... I married 4 times, what do you think? 😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

@Mark13i... I married 4 times, what do you think? 😂😂😂😂😂😂

You see  There are only problems with these American movies.

...and Chinese riding toys :D

Edited by Mark13i
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mark13i said:

Do you see  the same problems with these American movies.  

...and Chinese riding toys :D

I wouldn't advise suggesting EUC's are 'toys' on this forum. You will be flailed, then hung, drawn and quartered. And then for good measure, lose your head.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Planemo said:

I wouldn't advise suggesting EUC's are 'toys' on this forum. You will be flailed, then hung, drawn and quartered. And then for good measure, lose your head.

One of many things subject to such treatment in these parts.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Treatz said:

This thread was always about a simple matter of riding with consideration for others and not putting them in fear for their safety. That’s the only reason the ally cat video was referenced and discussion about it being a bad look for the community.  Simple.

Everything else = Distraction

Not really agreeing with you. The ally cat video opened a door to the main issue: where are EUCs ( and PEVs in general) going to be with all the diversity of behaviors and laws to contain those behaviors. 

It's literally a pandora's box that is being opened all over the world. 

• Like 1