Incredibly bad look for this community.

Roadpower

We already have a thread for this... please continue discussion there, since almost every opinion conceivable has been presented in detail ;)

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/18853-reckless-riding-is-going-to-get-us-banned/

(@Roadpower we'd be happy to merge your topic, if you prefer?)

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 3

Hola,

Chief Game Theorist here to answer any of your questions and complaints regarding the first ever All-PEV alleycat which included ebikes.

Thanks to all whom responded with rational responses to an event that may raise a few eyebrows of the uninitiated. 

Very proud to say the race concluded without a single mishap. NYC riders really put on display of skill, guts, and judgement. 

• Like 2

Just now, Rehab1 said:

Were pedestrians and families out for a walk scared?

Likely. Thankfully, our riders used audibles to alert said pedestrians of their approach which made the actions less frightening than the typical shootout, charging rat, aggressive drug addict, or road raging cabbie that we are all used to dodging on foot here in our glorious city. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

If there were, it would be way too late to react as a community. The EUC community doesn’t even have a single voice worthy of defending us if any laws came up to be passed as a legislation. 

This. I speak on this quite often and one of the reasons we throw events is to rally together our local community so we can eventually work towards social projects that need a lot of hands on deck. Not that I have any legitimate concerns of the matter. They will not be banned here. But they may and will likely start fining us for various things like running reds. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CarlW said:

I was thinking more of a display of disrespect for others, rules of the road, and lack of common courtesy.   

You'd get sideswiped your first week with that mindset. And the dudes who saw you eat it will take your shoes, wallet, phone. Hell, the wheel too. 

Pretty sure there was a video of VT having to steal someones wheel back because just that happened to him. Youtube it ;) 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, dieterGRAMS said:

Hola,

Chief Game Theorist here

Are you saying you're one of the organizers? (I don't think you're doing game theory, which is basically a subset of economics lol)

Anyway, an intermediate option between the opposed positions here would be to provide racers with horns and/or high-viz vests to help give others more of a heads up that they'll be zooming through. Just a thought. Might even help the contestants go faster

• Like 1

1 minute ago, winterwheel said:

I guess I have to respond to the parts that are quoted from me....and apologizing to anyone I might offend...

...could very well already be enough... etc. for me this is just an example of worrying; not evidence of anything. Our online community is full of worriers, I think it's an age thing actually, so many of us early adopters are, quite frankly, old fuddy-duddies. :-) I've said elsewhere this aspect of our community is why I never connect people to this site voluntarily.

...Germany bans them already... I don't know anything about Germany, but quite clearly they couldn't care less about the behaviour of these people in this event. I believe, without evidence since I don't live there but it's what I believe nonetheless, that NYC riders could ride politely and discretely until the year 3000 and it would not change the minds of anyone in a country that has banned the things already.

...scooters have big companies behind them... this our case at least, this is a totally irrelevant argument; the city isn't allowing scooters because legal threats have been made; the contrary is true, the city and the province went out of their way to provide exceptions to existing law in order to allow scooters because, despite the protests of a few change-haters, the future for all of us lies in PEVs and our city is looking forward, not back.

And I can pretty much sign off for the day after this one. You sir, get it.

(as for the scooter thing: one hit Mayor DeBlasio a few weeks back. They still out here scootin')

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skeptikos said:

Are you saying you're one of the organizers? (I don't think you're doing game theory, which is basically a subset of economics lol)

Anyway, an intermediate option between the opposed positions here would be to provide racers with horns and/or high-viz vests to help give others more of a heads up that they'll be zooming through. Just a thought. Might even help the contestants go faster

Haha well "Game theory is a theoretical framework for conceiving social situations among competing players" but yes, we like to dress things up around here. 

We've been working on this event for over a year actually. I had a TON of concerns with safety of our riders and pedestrians. The stops were chosen so that top speed was less of a factor compared a race like our yearly Broadway Bomb (youtube those too). We wanted this to be a Navigators Rally vs a speed contest. If people weren't so outraged, they'd notice nearly all racers arrived at the same time. Why? Because some of the "slower" guys know the city waaay better than the fastest guys. I'll say it was successful in that way. 

In the future, we will add more "speed bumps" to *TRY* and mellow things further to satisfy the Soy Milk fed masses of this scene I guess. 

Also, tons of people are working on horn solutions and if we do another event like this, we've toyed with the idea of producing ultra-loud whistles for the participants. 

Keep the ideas coming!

• Like 2

Such race, or reckless driving, existed before with motorcycles or cars, way more dangerous for everyone.
Cannonball race was not short in this matter. Who remember? Who was blaming at that time?
In my memory, these Cross-Country races were looking cool!

Being young nowadays does not look that fun, so I would not react as old men I slowly am.
Let's remember our twenties...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

You’ve factored in safety concerns for riders and pedestrians?  You should spend a day with me and witness children that will never walk or independently feed themselves again due to unforeseen factors.

Enough said. I hope your safety efforts reach a point where innocent bystanders are fully immune from experiencing any traumatic injuries.

The pedestrian that INTENTIONALLY walked into me while casually doing like 15mph in the bike lane, causing me to have my SECOND knee surgery didn't give two shits about his well being or mine. I'm not living my life worrying about others to the MAX. I do the BEST I can to consider their existence for MY safety. Theirs is secondary. 

No one is fully immune from ANYTHING. Get out of your fantasy world or close the door. oh, and I worked 5 years in Physical Therapy Ayy!