Incredibly bad look for this community.

Roadpower

11 hours ago, Lex Smith said:

I used to work for central government in New Zealand and I can say this - when the half wits that run our country start looking to regulate any activity they don't understand their first port of call is to see what other countries/cities are doing.  So a ban in New York could well result in a ban in New Zealand.  While I realize no one outside of NZ gives a fuck about that it does illustrate the fact that the actions of a small group can have far reaching consequences.

The flip side is I left that job about 2 years ago and they'd only just discovered Facebook and Instagram at that stage so I'm guessing I'll have a few years of free riding before they clamp down :-)

While I would share in the hope that everyone riding EUCs everywhere behaves responsibly, I am a bit pessimistic that is a realistic expectation. EUCs and PEVs are new and as adoption grows there will be growing pains, including those pushing the limits. I think the better hope than consistent universal good behavior is that some regions do a good job adapting, setting a positive example of how to regulate in a way that is reasonable and appropriate while accepting progress. Started a separate thread along these lines, and with your experience in gov't you might have insight - What does good euc/pev regulation look like? More productive than "gonna get us banned"

Edited by GPW
typos
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GPW said:

Can we find ways to express outrage that would not risk being interpreted as wishing harm on someone? I don't think the intended point, but this could be read that way. 

Unfortunately some only learn the hard way and when the risks are much higher not to take unnecessary chances/risks. The hole point is not to treat normal traffic as a backyard race track.

Once people start doing that, that is when the ban hammer hits hard an wide not just the offenders (and yes I mean this word in the most negative way you can interpret it, as that is how simple I view this).

1 minute ago, Unventor said:

Unfortunately some only learn the hard way and when the risks are much higher not to take unnecessary chances/risks. The hole point is not to treat normal traffic as a backyard race track.

Once people start doing that, that is when the ban hammer hits hard an wide not just the offenders (and yes I mean this word in the most negative way you can interpret it, as that is how simple I view this).

Ok so if we are taking this literally - then the hope would be if this race was run again you would want them to not wear helmets or other gear so that in addition to looking reckless by behavior they also set a bad example by not wearing safety gear. And then on top of that, if something did go wrong, you would want increase the chances of the rider getting harmed while doing nothing to reduce the risk to others with the hope that is teaches them a lesson? This doesn't seem productive to me. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GPW said:

Ok so if we are taking this literally - then the hope would be if this race was run again you would want them to not wear helmets or other gear so that in addition to looking reckless by behavior they also set a bad example by not wearing safety gear. And then on top of that, if something did go wrong, you would want increase the chances of the rider getting harmed while doing nothing to reduce the risk to others with the hope that is teaches them a lesson? This doesn't seem productive to me. 

I bet you they will not ride as reckless and fast. And should an incident occur then that person will know the consequence in the future and so will his friends. And youtube.

For the record I am not a hobby wanna be racerider, and I don't endorse this type of behavour, unless it is events like the one Kuji was at in France. 

Edited by Unventor

7 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I bet you they will not ride as reckless and fast. And should an incident occur then that person will know the consequence in the future and so will his friends. And youtube.

I think the community outrage is reasonable when expressed in the interest of avoiding hard lessons. Loses its high ground in wishing hard lessons on people. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GPW said:

I think the community outrage is reasonable when expressed in the interest of avoiding hard lessons. Loses its high ground in wishing hard lessons on people. 

Well some people act as if they are part of x-men or superman himself. Explaining how real world works do not bit on these people. 

It does not take speed to get hurt, poor judgement and choices will stack up and do it for those that keep challenge this. and gearing up will only help so much. 

Yeah well no one was hurt in this "race".
And because this was a $2000 race, it was not a normal behaving, dont you think?

People who blame bad behavior about pedestrian safety often express their fear to see EUC banned just after.
I think the hypocrisy should stop.

If there is a ban, it will have all the chance to be because of the death rate of EUC riders, NOT the opposite.

6 minutes ago, Roadpower said:

The default legal position of New York State government is that the pedestrian has the right of way EVEN when they are breaking the law.

This is the law in Europe too, yet my fear on EUC is to be kill, no to afraid or collide pedestrians.
Without bicycle path, you must be on the road, not on sidewalk, this seems to be also the case in NYC is I saw correctly the  "race"

Otherwise yes, the (only) ban we might see, is about race on open roads.
Nothing new since Cannonball Runs (yet last race was in August 2020)

2 minutes ago, That Guy said:

I live in a town where I have not seen any other unicycle rider as yet (although I've heard there may be a couple more). I am riding through the central town more than twice a day and my ride attracts a lot of attention. I am actually quite cautious about how I may be perceived by general public. I mean, I am just trying to be extra nice and extra friendly while riding. Because people are watching us and the first impression matters. These are very early EUC days and we all here, as very early adopters, are "EUC evangelists" whether we like it or not... We gotta be nice to others...

Sorry if my post is coming across as if I am trying to teach anyone! :-)

And yeah, last week I a local newspaper reached out to me and wanted to meet and talk about "the new form of personal transportation". :-)

I'm going to admit upfront that I have an extremely negative opinion of "news" media born by decades of keen observation of that industry. That said, I would love to know how this turns out. Hopefully anything better than a disaster. :unsure: At the risk of priming that discussion, I am sure that EUC's are absolutely the future of humanity. They are just so incredibly game changing for the better, that it is unavoidable in my view. Make babies, give them a wheel. It's all over. :smartass:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Roadpower said:

... I would love to know how this turns out. Hopefully anything better than a disaster. ...

Haha, they want to see me riding up our Baldwin St (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_Street) and who knows, maybe they will add an EUC badge at the top memorial? :-) (Last was added there in 1988 for roller skating climb.)

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Roadpower said:

Good point about the nagging. For better or worse it is a pretty fuzzy line between complaining too little to complaining too much.

All good bruh. I find it sorta amusing that we forget one of highest grossing media franchises in the world is Fast & Furious. Is there anything in those movies involving wheels that is legal, not on the edge & death defying? Can I say its promoting exactly what we're abhorrently protesting here but yet, there's a FF9 (& I assume 10 & 11 &...).

So what does that say about us as a species. Regardless there'll always be outliers living on the edge endangering themselves, the public & machinery. So why are the righteous not out in force cancelling said media & its ilk but instead lining up to enrich the participants. I would argue that said movies & its genre are responsible for far far more injuries & death than any AlleyCat race ever will. And then...there's alcohol but I digress.

For me these are very interesting questions to ask ourselves rather than others 🤔

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roadpower said:

I actually never got very interested the Fast & Furious franchise. :P However when I was very much younger I was really excited by the movie The Seven Ups (1973). :w00t2:

Wooah I missed that movie. Maybe '73 was not an enlightening year for me but it has 6.8 on IMDB. I think I'll fire up Kodi & search for it 👍

On another note, why is it that all of the biggest best highest grossing movies mainly involve death, endangering the public & blowing/crashing machinery. Interesting bit of trivia no🤔

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

As presented a few posts earlier, running red lights while yelling for the pedestrians to yield, is very far from an accepted style, even in NYC. Or running against the flow on a multi lane one way road. There were many aspects to the race that aren’t accepted anywhere, on any vehicle. Or even without one. These aspects are global.

Let me word that differently, people are going to do what they want whether we like it or not.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Sure there is. Making such movies is perfectly legal as long as the safety of all participants can be ensured. Deaths are also quite rare during film making, but happen all the time in traffic. You know, IRL.

Ahh yes, making it is legal but what was it promoting?

When I was a kid I remember there was the Marlboro Man. It was from commercials made to promote Marlboro ciggies. Making the commercial then was legal. Selling & consuming said product is still very legal.

But why was all cigarette commercials banned in '70. Every was & is still legal. I wonder🤔