Incredibly bad look for this community.

Roadpower

Just now, Rich Sam said:

I say go after the sponsors of this race, let them know your dollars will not be supporting functions like this... already emailed my disappointment to a few.  @evX_Mick profiting off endangerment of families and kids is sickening.

We made zero dollars lol. Actually a couple hundred came directly out of MY pocket. I also had to ask 8 of my personal friends to work the stops.

We did this for the sport, for the culture and our city, nothing more. Good Day

2 minutes ago, Rich Sam said:

YouTube channels profit in views\subscribers.  This is not sport, this is crap.

PEANUTS if anything. Get real, you're clueless. 

Also: blog_fxflier.jpg?3489

This was the flier for Monster Track 2010. Our biggest annual alleycat. You see all those sponsors on the side there?

I'm sure a few of you have Chrome Bags. Feel free to email them your complaints for sponsoring "crap" year after year

oh, be sure to burn your bags on Youtube so your statement is heard, clown

6 minutes ago, Rich Sam said:

eWheels has already expressed their surprise to me and shared my concern, I'm sure more are to follow.  next ride "Peanuts" is what the masochists will win.

lol. The great thing about NYC... no one cared about the prizes. 

outside of the "Winner Takes All" entry fee cash (yep, gave it all away), and clothing that EVwhere.NYC handed out... people just wanted to do it for the glory. We wont mind peanuts ;) Besides, we'll prolly get more bike and board sponsors next year. It was All-PEV remember? Only the Unitard guys have their panties in a bunch. 

5 minutes ago, Skeptikos said:

Probably the most frustrating thing about decentralized groups is that different subgroups can have conflicting priorities and agendas and it's difficult bordering on impossible to police behavior that you may disapprove of, even when you disapprove for very good reasons.

I don't think you're going to convince anyone to cancel the races given that some people in NYC really enjoy them. I think the best you could do is help @dieterGRAMSand other organizers adopt safety or PR measures that would mitigate the downsides you're worried about. He seems kind of open to that, so I would seriously consider it instead of attacking people

This is exactly what we are TRYING to do. Thank you. 

It's myself, and its Mickey. Two dudes, doing the best we can. It ain't perfect but we're doing the leg work. All hands welcome on deck. 

41 minutes ago, Rich Sam said:

I say go after the sponsors of this race, let them know your dollars will not be supporting functions like this... already emailed my disappointment to a few.  @evX_Mick profiting off endangerment of families and kids is sickening.

I’m sorry you feel that way. It does in fact take a lot of skill to ride so flawlessly on a daily basis in the greatest city in the world. Hey I’m actually here in the Modern hotel on Broadway, can you bring me a beer from the elephant lunge when you come by? Oh and that burger they make. It’s legit. Thanks bro. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rich Sam said:

It does take skill to ride in NY, I will  not take that away from any NY Rider.  It takes total disregard for human life to barrel into crossing pedestrians going 40MPH when the rider could have simply stopped.  The act is showcased at the beginning of the vid, like it is a highlight reel or something.

He was actually going 65mph. He’s incredibly reckless. I’ve a fault started a petition for veteran to limit their wheels to 30mph, to account for jerks like him. 

21 minutes ago, Rich Sam said:

Then I will contact your new sponsors as I see them.  I will donate my time to make it harder for you to normalize this troubling behavior.

I hope you do a really great job, because the next ones in Seattle and we're bringing out all the big boy 100v ONYX RCRs

$50 entry winner takes all!

18 minutes ago, dieterGRAMS said:

I hope you do a really great job, because the next ones in Seattle and we're bringing out all the big boy 100v ONYX RCRs

$50 entry winner takes all!

I ride with a few ONYX riders in Seattle, I doubt many in here will make the same poor choices as that vid.

43 minutes ago, dieterGRAMS said:

This is exactly what we are TRYING to do. Thank you. 

It's myself, and its Mickey. Two dudes, doing the best we can. It ain't perfect but we're doing the leg work. All hands welcome on deck. 

Alright, in that spirit here are more suggestions. I have no expertise so take these all with a grain of salt.

High-viz vests: I'm not sure what clothing best screams "I'm moving fast get out of the way!", maybe even lights like @Unipsycho uses here might be better. You could attach numbers to them to make it easier for your volunteers to track who showed up where. Anyway, some kind of conspicuous racing vest or clothing.

You could require foam/neoprene padding on the wheels.

You could put up signs along the routes saying "warning: race in progress", maybe on traffic cones or something along those lines.

In terms of PR and freaking people out, I think it'd be helpful to have some kind of safety note about how you planned the race at the beginning of videos about it. I know you don't control all the videos, but you could ask video recording participants to include it. Sort of like a "kids don't try this at home" disclaimer. Won't stop all criticism by any means, but I think it'd help.

That's all I've got for now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dieterGRAMS said:

And I can pretty much sign off for the day after this one. You sir, get it.

(as for the scooter thing: one hit Mayor DeBlasio a few weeks back. They still out here scootin')

I do have a beef with the NYC crew though, I'd love it you guys would let up on the EX, it's an awesome wheel; suspension on a big beefy wheel just can't be beat. ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tawpie said:

In all seriousness, evX's cut is intended to amp up the chaos... the risk taking, the excitement of the event, the danger. Another cut wouldn't raise many eyebrows at all. My personal style is to ride with respect and consideration and I tend to be very conservative in the way I operate my vehicle. I 100% get that I have little in common with the NYC riders—I admire their skill and nerve, it allows them to have experiences that are simply not available to me. And I'm on the fence about "setting a good example" because I find it increasingly difficult to assume that what works in my life will have the same effect on the lives of others.

I do expect that something terrible will eventually happen during one of these events and my experience tells me that folks that include Juris Doctor after their names will take notice. If the little kid in the crosswalk was run over, the organizers and sponsors would rightly be held responsible. That kind of a lawsuit could easily take out our distributors and end this EUC thing once and for all. I do hope nobody gets hurt and if somebody does, I hope it's not a bystander or motorist.

Perhaps there's another way to have this kind of fun***? I know it's not the same if it's "safer", but I do think looking out for the well being of non-participants is something that should be first on the agenda.

Flip the script and put yourself and your child in the crosswalk.

*** a 'wildcat' race, same kind of setup but off-road!

I recall seeing an event overseas somewhere. I think it was a Kuji video. It was an AMAZING euc event with races and scooters and hella turnout. It was advertised and it seemed like they had a defined course. I'm speaking out of faded memory and ignorance, but if I'm even near correct... THAT is the kind of event where almost ALL of us can appreciate the skill and danger for what it is. You know, without the unintended consequences of unpredicatable motorists, slow pedestrians and traffic law. 

Of course, thats not a regular event and its not nearly as easy to go to something like that, as it is to just ride like you want in your own neighborhood. I used to race my little Mr2 in sanctioned scca events. It was nothing more than a parking lot and a bunch of cones. BUT, we had waivers, permits and safety meeting. Signatures were collected and rules were enforced. We had emergency crew on hand and a lot of off duty cops joined in the forray.  It was also fun but still not as fun as a good ole "blah blah blah, it never happened, race" :ph34r:  We also had dirt oval track local for any type of car you cared to ride. Then there was the dirt quarter midget track we also rode carts on. THEN there was the motocross track. THEN there was the trails areas. If i recall, I had many places to do dangerous things, but remain legal. The thing about the sanctioned events... it was small, it was cheap and you could brag and take pictures w/o worry of judgement or confinement. Even sponsors could advertise w/o worry! I bet any number of those types of places would work with a crew of euc riders to set up a NEW type of event. Its just about the $$ of course!  We had other places and things we did, but I'm too old school to cite them specifically. I havent forgotten what it was like to be a damn pesky kid. It does seem nowadays, the age limit isnt a limit and the game has changed a hair. Even so, I'd imagine we all behave in a way that someone else would deem inappropriate. Its just most of us keep the closet door closed so you can't video tape the skeletons...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I recall seeing an event overseas somewhere. I think it was a Kuji video. It was an AMAZING euc event with races and scooters and hella turnout. It was advertised and it seemed like they had a defined course. I'm speaking out of faded memory and ignorance, but if I'm even near correct... THAT is the kind of event where almost ALL of us can appreciate the skill and danger for what it is.

You are bang on @ShanesPlanet, it was a Kuji video and an epic event to watch, let alone take part in!  I remembered watching it myself as soon as I read your post so grabbed the link for it to post here: 

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2