Incredibly bad look for this community.

Roadpower

1 minute ago, Roadpower said:

I understand that we can see the distinction but it is not a distinction that matters. What matters is that it was a PEV being used in what is arguably a rogue manner and this incident killed someone of a certain profession who legislators are going to respond to. Actors and the entertainment industry have the loudest voice on the planet. This is honestly a no brainer for where this is going.

In fact I now believe that the condemnation of the Allycat race has not been strong enough.

I think the legislation will be targeted towards Chinese food delivery eBikes instead. Chinese food delivery workers seem to be involved in most eBike crashes, simply because they put absurd mileage in NYC, and they have been targeted before both in legislation and in armed robberies.

I personally think EUC will be mostly safe from laws, because the people who ride them are somewhat affluent and so don't make an easy target.

5 hours ago, Lex Smith said:

Since you don't wear any safety gear do you find yourself riding defensively and having to give way to the buffoons you encounter or is that not an issue in your area?  

I'm 4+ years into daily riding now, I have a pretty good sense of where issues are going to come from. The other day I was late and riding at near top speed; got cutoff by a van that I guess figured he could get through before I arrived. Very, very wrong about that. I had to do some hard braking, veer around him, but I was ready to do all that because I had one eye on him already; always suspicious of cars particularly.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I think the legislation will be targeted towards Chinese food delivery eBikes instead. Chinese food delivery workers seem to be involved in most eBike crashes, simply because they put absurd mileage in NYC, and they have been targeted before both in legislation and in armed robberies.

I personally think EUC will be mostly safe from laws, because the people who ride them are somewhat affluent and so don't make an easy target.

Legislators don't typically work that way, they write laws to be encompassing. They don't like to revisit laws to fill obvious gaps. Now we just have to work at getting our voice into the mix. Not to be pessimistic but going up against the entertainment industry is all but a guaranteed loss. Legislators are cowards against them, they have been for a long time.

Edited by Roadpower

17 minutes ago, Roadpower said:

incident killed someone of a certain profession who legislators are going to respond to. Actors and the entertainment industry have the loudest voice on the planet.

Here's a list of famous people killed in car crashes. I wonder if that will result in banning cars.

https://www.thefamouspeople.com/car-accident.php

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Here's a list of famous people killed in car crashes. I wonder if that will result in banning cars.

Here where I am, one incident caused discussions and a change in traffic regulations resulting in pedestrian priority even before before getting on the lanes.

But it's not the US, not the NYC

Edited by Mark13i
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

https://www.thefamouspeople.com/car-accident.php

Is this meant as a joke?  

You know cars require registrations, license, insurance, etc..  You can't not know this, right?  

There's a good wikipedia page that outlines the differences between apples and oranges if anyone else needs it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mark13i said:

As you comment on the headline:

Actress Lisa Banes dies after being hit by electric unicycle in Manhattan

... and It ceases to be local events

In my country, the media comment on this incident

Zrzut-ekranu-z-2021-06-15-14-49-34.png

photo_2021-06-15_14-40-06.thumb.jpg.f1e3aeae4019824eb6c0faec17ecef5b.jpg

So far news say other than you claim? Media says scooter of motorcycle. 

Is there something lost in the polish translation, or is it just all "personal electric vehicles" are the same that you claim it was EUC? @Mark13i?

Could we get "Not based facts" layer stamp on posts or something so it would be easier to know who trolls and flames? Half the posts  are opinions not based on any kind of fact. Based on the talk, I think you people will ban yourselfs from using your devices. By spreading false news or misunderstandings.

I would like to remind that anyone can post here, so keep in mind that you might be fighting against someone who is 12 and just likes to watch flames. It seems this post does nothing but pit people of same hobby against each other. NYC will deal with their own so will all other areas.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tasku said:

Is there something lost in the polish translation, or is it just all "personal electric vehicles" are the same that you claim it was EUC? @Mark13i?

Could we get "Not based facts" layer stamp on posts or something so it would be easier to know who trolls and flames? Half the posts  are opinions not based on any kind of fact. Based on the talk, I think you people will ban yourselfs from using your devices. By spreading false news or misunderstandings.

I would like to remind that anyone can post here, so keep in mind that you might be fighting against someone who is 12 and just likes to watch flames. It seems this post does nothing but pit people of same hobby against each other. NYC will deal with their own so will all other areas.

I think the point he was making was that the public doesn't see any difference between scooter & euc.  I could very well be wrong (wouldn't be the first time).  Legislators most likely don't see any difference either.

Edited by /Dev/Null
  • Like 3

What will get us accepted is having vast numbers of riders putting millions of miles onto their wheels.

No one will care about us until that happens.

Smacking down riders for doing their thing in their own way in their own places inhibits the progress to this goal.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tasku said:

Half the posts  are opinions not based on any kind of fact. Based on the talk, I think you people will ban yourselfs from using your devices. By spreading false news or misunderstandings.

"Only facts can be spoken on this forum!!!"  Says people who have never been on a forum... and Tasku, who claims 50% of comments on this forum are not based on fact of any kind, and yet can't produce any proof that assertion. You see how warped your comment is now, right?  Or, are you about to head off to your job of stepping on rakes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tasku said:

This is actually a fair point. If this is identified as a small electric motorcycle that could potentially diffuse the situation. That said it is still dangerously close to a PEV.

Just now, /Dev/Null said:

I think the point he was making was that the public doesn't see any difference between scooter & euc.  Legislators most likely don't either.

Then you should start a topic: New law making base regarding EUC use

NOT this: More productive than "gonna get us banned" regulations, plz post. We are all 12.

2 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

What will get us accepted is having vast numbers of riders putting millions of miles onto their wheels.

No one will care about us until that happens.

Smacking down riders for doing their thing in their own way in their own places inhibits the progress to this goal.

Unless "bad things" before that happen & people yell for legislation on the emerging threat.  Then that will kill the hobby in it's infancy.

1 minute ago, Tasku said:

Then you should start a topic: New law making base regarding EUC use

NOT this: More productive than "gonna get us banned" regulations, plz post. We are all 12.

Hm, interestingly I don't see a moderator title under your name/profile.  Have I become blind?

Just now, /Dev/Null said:

Unless "bad things" before that happen & people yell for legislation on the emerging threat.  Then that will kill the hobby in it's infancy.

Nope, not going to happen. Wheels are a thing and nothing can stop it.

Also not a hobby; this is a word used for trolling this community, disappointed to hear you use it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, /Dev/Null said:

I think the point he was making was that the public doesn't see any difference between scooter & euc.  I could very well be wrong (wouldn't be the first time).  Legislators most likely don't see any difference either.

I think it is ultimately going depend on what is being classified as a "scooter" by the news reporters. If this was a standup e-scooter then yeah that is going to fall on our heads. If it was an electric motorcycle then we may dodge a bullet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, /Dev/Null said:

Hm, interestingly I don't see a moderator title under your name/profile.  Have I become blind?

No thanks. Let's not become blind. Love you all.  

8 minutes ago, Tasku said:

Sorry... :(  It was my private manipulation of the title - to make an impression.

Of course, the original title is:

"Actress Lisa Banes dies after being hit by scooter in Manhattan"

My point was that the media doesn't just report. Often they add their own conclusions and interpretations that suit the majority of society.

In Poland, the headlines emphasize that the accident happened on the lanes. - Why?
Because recently there was a change in the rules regarding the right of way for pedestrians on the lanes.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mark13i said:

Sorry... :(  It was my private manipulation of the title - to make an impression.

Of course, the original title is:

"Actress Lisa Banes dies after being hit by scooter in Manhattan"

My point was that the media doesn't just report. Often they add their own conclusions and interpretations that suit the majority of society.

In Poland, the headlines emphasize that the accident happened on the lanes. - Why?
Because recently there was a change in the rules regarding the right of way for pedestrians on the lanes.

Thank you for clearing this up

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, /Dev/Null said:

So why to worry then?
Legislators most likely won't see any difference between half-ebike and ebike, these are perfectly accepted and sold by millions.

38 minutes ago, Treatz said:

Is this meant as a joke?  

You know cars require registrations, license, insurance, etc..  You can't not know this, right?  

There's a good wikipedia page that outlines the differences between apples and oranges if anyone else needs it.

Drivers (not cars) who have registered, licensed, and insured cars while also holding a valid driver's license are responsible for the majority of traffic deaths in the US. 

Bicycles, e bikes and e scooters, EUC's, and other PEV are not responsible for most traffic deaths.

Yet one group is allowed while the other is banned. One advertises breaking laws while have safety features that protect its users while the other does not and cannot.

NYC doesn't have a "rampaging PEV problem". It has an automobile problem. To me, it's ludicrous that you might have two PEV related deaths per year while ignoring the hundreds of automobile related deaths.

• Like 3