Incredibly bad look for this community.

Roadpower

22 hours ago, bcarp said:

I have a question. Who here is connected to the shit show ebike and kick scooter community so we can all scold them? Anyone here connected to the rideable escooter scene? We need to make sure they got the message that their electric rip-off of a Honda Elite 80 doesn’t belong on the sidewalk.

Please get on it. That dude riding the ninebot escooter, model POS, needs to know his right from his left and to put on a damn helmet. 

8 hours ago, GothamMike said:

The body of an EUC rider can penetrate a windshield and kill drivers and passengers. 

That's a common occurrence in not just NYC but all major cities.

6 minutes ago, VikB said:

Read this thread with interest. Folks can ride their EUCs anyway they like until the police intervene. But, it seems odd to document and publicize your misadventures 

Yea I agree, why on earth would anyone video themselves doing an illegal act then publish it on Youtube?

Some guys are just asking to get pulled by the police. :facepalm:

Edited by Gasmantle
Spelling error.
  • Like 2

So that others will become riders and we get our numbers up to the point where we are significant, widely adopted transportation option. Also for the vast majority of us getting on a wheel at all is illegal; if legality were the standard the only wheel videos on YouTube would be published by V5F riders in Finland. :)

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 1

Well being harassed from a angry mob sucks, getting related people involved in the mess even more so.

That the race and the actions recorded in the video are not adressed with a single word speaks for it self too.

Overall a shit show from start to end.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mark13i said:

Is the movie consistent with the topic of the thread?  Because I don't know if I should watch it

Sort of.  This thread is about 1 thing (that has several branches). That thing is: consideration of others vs. self entitlement when it comes to riding EUC’s.  Branches can include: legislative remedies potentially in response to reckless riding, the specific race at hand, the overall reaction to some aspects of the NYC euc culture, etc.  I think the specific video in question touched off this thread, and this video is in response to the filmmaker’s experience after the fact and it appears he wanted to apologize for any unintended harm, ask those hurling personal abuse to please stop, and to announce he’s stepping away from making euc videos.

• Like 1

I love NY videos, this got me hooked, but I think evx is trying too hard to become a yt influencer, that last "icarus" video is hilarious, I cried when he held a steady face saying he meant not to provoke. :D

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Gasmantle said:

I'd like to think the present system of temporarily legalising Escooters provided they are hired from an approved source is to test the water and gauge public opinion. Hopefully if the court of public opinion approves of them it may lead to the legalisation of privately owned vehicles subject to insurance, registration etc. Whether that actually happens only time will tell.

This is my understanding of the trials but the U.K. loves making laws over complicated so who knows. Part of me hopes if they legalise Escooters we will be seen in the same light even if the law is not that specific.

19 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I try to stick to quiet suburban roads and ride fairly sensibly but I know I'm just rolling a dice each time I pass the police. If I could write the rules then I'd say EUC's up to 20mph would be treated the same as bicycles in the eyes of the law. If they're any faster then they should be treated like a moped and need proper lighting, insurance and a number plate plus the rider would have to have either a valid driving license or motorcycle license. I know many folk would think that's too strict but I see videos like the one that started this thread and I think it's the only way forward.

I agree with this statement too. I also wish I could get insurance.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

Well congratulations everyone, you've succeeded in driving the top video guy we have out of the wheel video game. 

Everyone here is responsible for someone else’s decisions? Explain, please.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

No license is required and you also don't need any safety gear. Because the rental e-scooters only go 8mph then it limits the amount of damage you can cause.  EUC's are motor vehicles and motorised vehicles need insurance. If you don't have a license then those 6 points will go on your driving license when you eventually get one. Also those points on your license will affect how much you pay for insurance etc. I understand you can also be fined and have your wheel confiscated. A fairly easy to read explanation of the law in the UK is here.

I try to stick to quiet suburban roads and ride fairly sensibly but I know I'm just rolling a dice each time I pass the police. If I could write the rules then I'd say EUC's up to 20mph would be treated the same as bicycles in the eyes of the law. If they're any faster then they should be treated like a moped and need proper lighting, insurance and a number plate plus the rider would have to have either a valid driving license or motorcycle license. I know many folk would think that's too strict but I see videos like the one that started this thread and I think it's the only way forward.

Class 1 and Class A vehicles in NYS and CT are limited to 20-25 MPH.  Anything faster is subject to registration and regulation. CT requires EV vendors to label the PEV with Motor Wattage and Max speed.

39 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

Well congratulations everyone, you've succeeded in driving the top video guy we have out of the wheel video game. 

He will be back with something else after the dust settles. Did you even watch his video, read his description 😏 

Edited by NickNonsense
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, winterwheel said:

Without exaggeration.

Would a professional say: "love me as I am - or I'll go."  ?????

The best yt has a professional personality, not a professional film studio itself.

Edited by Mark13i
  • Like 1