Incredibly bad look for this community.

Roadpower

20 minutes ago, shellac said:

It’s a food delivery service like doordash, for when you want that excellent authentic NY taste from the sbarro’s in Times Square.

It’s typically delivered to you by a guy on an EUC screaming, running red lights, and riding in the wrong direction. 

So its like Pizza delivery but it aint pizza? Why would you need something delivered when you live in a town where everything is right next door? No delivery services in my hood. Do the uber eats guys have to verify they have insurance, like pizza delivery? Wait, of course not, euc's arent insurable. Is the workforce of uber eats typcially young and underpaid personel? Im assuming doordash is the same thing, food delivery? It makes me VERY happy I've been ignorant of these kind of things. I wonder if uber even has a main office that forces accountability and reprimands for unsafe work behavior and complaints? I used to dleiver pizza as most teens do, before getting a 'better' job. I recall we had to obey traffic law and verify insurance and licensing.

I wonder if you get paid more as an uber whatever, if you had experience delivering newspapers a a kid? All I know is I hope the Lord takes me before I have to live in another city... Yall can have it and be happy you wont have to worry about running into my dumb ass anytime soon. Just a heads up.. I get yelled at when walking where I belong, I seriosuly doubt I'll just be stepping out of the way. Seems like I wouldnt survive in a city. Hell, they used to try and bribe me to deliver to NYC with an extra $100+ per drop. Ummm, no thanks, Ive been there done that, I'll just go around and consider it a win.

Tis always good to see a person in charge of 'organized' events, being so cordial.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, shellac said:

...for when you want that excellent authentic NY taste from the sbarro’s in Times Square.

Okay, that made me LoL because I read it in sarcasm voice. :lol:

There used to be a 24/7 hole in the wall pizza place on 9th Ave between 40th and 41st streets. I liked that place precisely because no matter what time of night it was you could get your pizza fix when you wanted it.

• Like 1

Wow, what thread this had been, even found out I'm old now since I'm not on Reddit, discord or Facebook but choose to use a forum and all it's "old tech" :D.

I can't get on a high horse, I need assist steps to climb into a sedan, but I can see an argument to made for not putting something's on YouTube. 

I'm still not a grown up and I'm middle aged, in my youth I did all kinds of stupid things with anything that had wheels and truth be told if I loved in NYC and didn't have work that day I would have entered the ally cat race. That doesn't mean I'd run red lights, or yell at pedestrians who had the right of way but there is no way I'd have missed the chance to be in the race. 

Back in the day we didn't have such easy access to record and share this stuff with the masses. Could you imagine trying to hold a cam corder on a not yet invented selfie stick? 

I don't want anyone's access to wheels to get taken away, ever, but can any of us really say we've always acted in lock step with the law when it comes to any vehicle? 

We're not on 12mph solo wheels anymore. The wheels we have available now can provide some legitimate thrills and that will attract more thrill seekers. 

Social media and amazingly great light weight recording gear that is so low cost makes it very easy to put things out to the world that would have only been great stories to remember with those that did it with you in the past. Social media also encourages the uploads because they get views.

I know I don't go on YouTube to watch law abiding people do normal things. I watch the irresponsible motorcycle riders, I watch the boats that are too small for sea conditions get hammered, and I watch the EUC videos that are exciting. 

Contradictory to that (to some degree) I do feel some things are better filed in the brains memory and not posted when it comes to EUCs simply because they are so new and not accepted by the masses as a form of transportation. I think they could be and should be but we are not there yet. 

I'm a retarded douche bag when it comes to anything motorized and I've had multiple surgeries because if it. I can't in good faith point fingers at any one for doing anything remotely irresponsible. I had my 18mo old some up to 27mph in his stroller.....dumb, but it was as safe as reasonably possible (tethered stroller to me so my meat suit could slow it down of the wheel malfunctioned, gradual speed increases per pass, pre scouted perfectly smooth road, baby geared up). This makes our normal 15 to 18mph stroller rides safer since I know more about how the handling changes with speed, and I have a way better idea on breaking distances slowing down the whole rig. 

My recommendation to the event organizers would be to edit out parts that show laws being blatantly broken. I know it sucks, but the other option would be to now allow filming at all amd just do it old school for the glory of the event. I wouldn't give a rats ass if it was filmed or not as long as I got to race. 

Sorry for the way too long post, this subject just causes a lot internal conflict between my adrenaline junky nature and my age telling me that @GoGeorgeGo is right. Regulation is inevitable....I'd just like to keep things the way they are for as long as possible. Of the day comes where 15mph is set as a speed limit for these things I'll be pissed, I push a freaking stroller faster than that almost daily.

On 6/14/2021 at 11:47 AM, winterwheel said:

Lol, this is why I don't wear gear and nobody wants to hear it. I ride safer when I feel less safe.

This resonates with me but for a different reason - I wear every piece of safety gear I possibly can and feel protected enough that when I'm confronted with a peloton coming at me taking up both lanes of the cycle way I'm thinking "Full body armour versus lycra - bring it on!".  Now I do keep as far to the left as possible (we ride and drive on the left hand side of the road here in NZ) but dammed if I'm going to completely give up my place in a game of chicken.  If I were wearing nothing but a tee shirt and shorts I'd most likely take a different approach.  To be clear I try to be the most courteous and considerate I can to pedestrians and other riders and will go out of my way not to startle or make others feel uncomfortable but have an issue with bullies :-)

Since you don't wear any safety gear do you find yourself riding defensively and having to give way to the buffoons you encounter or is that not an issue in your area?  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I’m sorry but the high horse argument is a pretty ridiculous one against critique towards illegal acts. Or is breaking the law the norm in your “culture”? I don’t think so.

You must admit people dont drive in Italy like in Switzerland, in India like in Germany, etc.
I dont see what is extraordinary here.

So why should some far-away POV prevail on NYC's EUC riders?
It's a question to them. Or one more time this is about fearing a ban, people yelling in NYC is nothing special.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chriull said:
21 hours ago, FinRider said:

think it is time for everyone who condemns this "race event" to get of their high horses.

Interesting pov to call standing up against (disrespectful, asocial and) willfully endangering others sitting on the high horse...

21 hours ago, FinRider said:

that it will have no effect whatsoever, not on how they ride or how EUC's will be looked at in your local community.

Yes. Most likely.

But one does not need to praise their bs behaviour published on youtube.

Or sponsor their events.

Or has to pity them, as they have to behave like this cause they live in such a bad city.

You missed my point with your reply, which is evident as you did not include my main point in your quoted reply.

"It is fear that behavior like this (when made public) will get EUCs banned for you in your local area." 

I am not saying that I do not condemn their behavior, but we should take a close look at WHY this has received such a huge outcry of disgust. bc come on, we can't honestly say that we are concerned about the safety of the riders in this event or the pedestrians in NYC. These EUC thingies are a new mode of transportation and legislation across the globe has not caught up... they have no clue how to regulate / legalize us.

So my point of view is that most of the outcry to this event is due to FEAR for your own status in your community. You do not want to have "the man" coming down with the hammer and heavily regulate or (god forbid) ban EUC use on public roads. So my comment that people need to get off their high horses refers to the hypocrisies in the responses. 

Together we can make a difference. Unsubscribe from all youtube channels/content where shit like this is promoted. Call out the organizers for the douches that they are that jeopardize our enjoyment. If the sponsors of the event don't publicly (and strongly) condemn this, then boycott the sponsors.

Like I said in my original post, I do not believe.. or rather, lets rephrase that, I HOPE that content like this will not impact my use of my EUC locally. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Camenbert said:

You must admit people dont drive in Italy like in Switzerland, in India like in Germany, etc.
I dont see what is extraordinary here.

So why should some far-away POV prevail on NYC's EUC riders?
It's a question to them. Or one more time this is about fearing a ban, people yelling in NYC is nothing special.

Perhaps in this interesting discussion I already see the political correctness of multiculturalism ;)

Or maybe many writers have forgotten who created the thread and gave it this title? - I remind you that a NYC resident wrote it.

• Like 1

Exactly. Yes, it's a gang.
I once saw a movie on YT - A fight between a rider (one of the participants of the Alleycat race) with a car driver - the reason for "driving the car driver's wrongly"

It's like; Only gang members have the right to ignore the law.

• Like 1

NYC people don't worry about PEVS runnin over peds, especially visitors because it's in the culture.  Visitors should know better.  Going to NYC is similar to Mad Max. You've seen those movies right?  VISITORS shoud know BETTER.  

(This was total sarcasm).

Edit Link got cut off, hopefully now fixed.

Edited by /Dev/Null
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Roadpower said:

Wow, well we no longer have to worry about legislation coming. That story all but guarantees it.

https://nypost.com/2021/06/14/actress-lisa-banes-dies-after-getting-struck-by-hit-and-run-scooter-driver/

Other stories specify a motorized scooter or motorcycle, not a unicycle and maybe not even an eScooter. Notably, she was killed at an intersection, presumably at a crosswalk (killed pedestrians are invariably knocked off the crosswalk, which is why drivers can safely claim "he wasn't in the crosswalk when I hit him"), but in this case we have a hit and run.

• Like 1

Just now, LanghamP said:

Other stories specify a motorized scooter or motorcycle, not a unicycle and maybe not even an eScooter. Notably, she was killed at an intersection, presumably at a crosswalk (killed pedestrians are invariably knocked off the crosswalk, which is why drivers can safely claim "he wasn't in the crosswalk when I hit him"), but in this case we have a hit and run.

I understand that we can see the distinction but it is not a distinction that matters. What matters is that it was a PEV being used in what is arguably a rogue manner and this incident killed someone of a certain profession who legislators are going to respond to. Actors and the entertainment industry have the loudest voice on the planet. This is honestly a no brainer for where this is going.

In fact I now believe that the condemnation of the Allycat race has not been strong enough.

• Like 3