I Broke My Thigh Bone At Around 10-15KMH (6-9MPH)

nalds

41 minutes ago, nalds said:

Now, I laid back at night and sit in front of my computer. Deep sorrows still come to me, which begs to ask myself, "What should you do better? What better deeds could you do with the rest of your life?"

I think that the answer is to ride more defensively. That's it honestly. And it applies to any vehicle, be it a car or a bicycle.

###################################

Femur is the strongest bone in the body. How did you break it? I don't doubt your story, I'm just curious about the physics of it. Any ideas how exactly did it happen?
What type of a fracture was it?

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 3

Thank you for sharing this, @nalds! The story left me speechless. While I don’t believe in faith or in gods, I do think that people make their own karma. The questions you are asking yourself right now do build a good one.

I sincerely hope you can let go of the blame! A pedestrian doing unexpected movements or jumps when crossing the trajectory of any vehicle, is the one causing the danger. What if she would’ve done the same on a driveway when a car approaches? The outcome would’ve probably been the same, although she would’ve probably been killed right there.

It wasn’t your fault.

• Like 2

Time always feels like it's slows down during an accident and perhaps that's why you feel you were riding slower than you probably were. I actually find it a bit worrying that the title for your story only mentions your injuries, and what speed you want us to believe you were going, but doesn't mention the fact you killed someone.

• Like 3

Very sad, sorry for everyone involved. Rest In Peace old lady and hope you can sort yourself out.

I’ve seen so many random moves from pedestrians I take it as given they will do anything at any time and really slow down around them, more so than bicycles do.

Those of us who ride in the city should maybe consider some form of dashcam.

edit: it reminds me I have had a couple of times to brake while turning (difficult) as I was going to pass behind people who changed their mind. Must be “a thing”.

edit 2: let this be a reminder to everyone that accident has to be possible..

Edited by null
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, nalds said:

I prayed for that old woman. I prayed for her families. I prayed so that one day I'd be able to forgive myself...  

I’m pleased you concluded your story with those heartfelt comments. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

“Killing” would point to the op causing the death. In western countries to be labeled like that, the accident must be examined by the police and other authorities, after which the event would have go through a trial in court. None of these have happened, and seems that they won’t either.

So far it seems that the op did not “kill” the pedestrian, nor is he accused of doing so. They were both in an accident that caused the pedestrian to die. An accident does not a killer make.

The difference between killing and murdering is the intention with which the action is done. Killing is ending the life of another, whereas murder specifically applies to the unlawful killing of another human being. I'm definitely not saying it wasn't an accident but there's always risks from riding faster. Sometimes those risks are to other people.

• Like 1

That's a tough, sensational story and sorry to hear your plight. The elderly can be very sensitive and wary. The ones in my family certainly is.

I can relate to the pedestrians behavior and I've learned to deal with it in crowded NYC streets. If not riding I'm also a pedestrian so I can relate from both point of views. A (polite) hand gesture is my fix. 

Now, on your injury. At jogging pace, one can break the ACL, say stepping on a ditch and twisting on your fall. I know one breaking his ACL dancing salsa. Twisting forces more accountable than forward speed.

So yes, a sudden twist of a (50 lb.) KS16x with enough torque can do damage. Tho, I have to say, yours is quiet perplexing if the physics adds up and given your bone density was ok. And the fact that, a sudden twist of a slow EUC, even with very grippy pedals will more likely just throw a rider off. That's one very freaky accident you got into.

But if you can clarify; did you break you Femur (above the knee) or Tibia (below the knee)?

I'd be interested in seeing the x-ray shot of the plates and screws in your leg.  I'm always curious of injuries.

Edited by Surfling
additional text

I've had my approaches to pedestrians on the sidewalk and I usually end up walking past them. Many people usually jump from shock when I alert them of my presence. If they can't hear me, I just walk. Eventually they hear me because I'm a fast walker and they let me pass. 

The story told here was a series of unfortunate events though. 

• Like 1

Very sad story, sorry. That's such a freak accident with a terrible outcome, especially since you were going slow. 

Same as George, I'm a new rider but I basically go walking speed as I approach anyone walking on a path. Cyclists and pedestrians have shared the same paths for many years before EUCs were ever around. I figure if I'm going much slower than a bike, that should be safe enough. Side benefit is after passing by, it gives me another reason to quickly accelerate from almost 0 which is one of my favorite parts of riding (vs riding at high speed). Even so, if someone just sidestepped into me for no good reason at the last split second, dunno how that could be avoided.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Obee said:

Is this the incident?

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/elderly-woman-seriously-injured-after-2880229

Wasn't able to find more information. Some elements differ from OP story, many similarities. 

The events described in this article are nothing like the OP's aside from the fact it involved an old woman and an EUC. Even the EUC in the picture on the article isnt the same as the one the OP stated, and OP is in Indonesia and the article is from the UK. 

Sorry to read about this, a very unfortunate event. If anything, its a reminder for us all to ride carefully and be ready for anything. Sometimes pedestrians, motorists, dogs etc behave in unexpected ways. 

Alert riding, knowledge of your wheel, developing riding skills and knowing your limits can literally mean the difference between life and death.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, seage said:

The events described in this article are nothing like the OP's aside from the fact it involved an old woman and an EUC. Even the EUC in the picture on the article isnt the same as the one the OP stated, and OP is in Indonesia and the article is from the UK. 

True.  This poorly written article says nothing about the EUC rider and if he sustained serious injury. I would think a broken leg would be news worthy. 

An unforgettable first post. "Hi im new here.... I crashed my EUC.... broke my leg....tragically an old lady died. 

Part of me wants to think this is a fake post from a troll or EUC hater only because its a first post.

So sad for everyone involved

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Surfling said:

Now, on your injury. At jogging pace, one can break the ACL, say stepping on a ditch and twisting on your fall. I know one breaking his ACL dancing salsa. Twisting forces more accountable than forward speed.

So yes, a sudden twist of a (50 lb.) KS16x with enough torque can do damage. Tho, I have to say, yours is quiet perplexing if the physics adds up and given your bone density was ok. And the fact that, a sudden twist of a slow EUC, even with very grippy pedals will more likely just throw a rider off. That's one very freaky accident you got into.

But if you can clarify; did you break you Femur (above the knee) or Tibia (below the knee)?

I'd be interested in seeing the x-ray shot of the plates and screws in your leg.  I'm always curious of injuries.

Hi Surfling,

Thank you for the explanation. When I push myself, to self analyze what happened... the wheel must have stopped suddenly and did the twist. I broke my femur. Here is my x-ray & shots of the plate the doctor took during operation.

X-Ray shot

p.jpeg?size=2048x1536&size_mode=3

Plate & screws during the operation (caution: it's gory)

Spoiler

p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

The pain was severe, because the bone actually punctured my muscle....

19 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I sincerely hope you can let go of the blame! A pedestrian doing unexpected movements or jumps when crossing the trajectory of any vehicle, is the one causing the danger. What if she would’ve done the same on a driveway when a car approaches? The outcome would’ve probably been the same, although she would’ve probably been killed right there.

It wasn’t your fault.

@mrelwood that's what my friends have tried to assure me. That's what I have been trying to assure my brain too. However deep down, I couldn't help but feeling the guilt, deep sorrow one. 

This taught me a lesson that many has suggested. Maybe I should have done what @seage suggested. I should have gone much wider and pointed out the direction in which I would have wanted to go... I should have learned how to able to do power braking @GoGeorgeGo suggested and stop abruptly.

• Like 3