King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

2 hours ago, Beachboy said:

What I did was pushed down that steel spring before the notch then you can  slip the cable in after that just tape it..

as for those bolts & bushings they’re all craps and to make it worse some bolts overly glued on...

Some hints, I dont think you need to dissamble the whole wheel, just take out your shock then unscrew middle suspension linkage bolts, then the upper arms bolt you can leave the bolts that holds suspension arms in slider cage, after that install your washers accordingly, do not overly drop your washers there, a bit less is better. 
I also add washers on the bolts that holds the upper suspension arms so that bolts will not grind the wall/board frame and also in between the middle suspension linkage arms if not your bearings will clash then caused great friction so that your suspension arms cant move freely..put one or two good quality washers there..

do not overly tightened bolts especially the one that have stacked bearings..

You have to work your way on those crappy bolts and bushings out, then find a suitable replacement, I think feynman knows a good replacement.

I love my S18, all I did just those I mention up there, ride it almost every day without problem and I never been so excited everytime I saw bumps and curbs along the way

Btw, I hope you understand and sorry for my bad english anyway...

Thank you for your suggestions! I am using a 3d printed cover for the cable, I recommend looking into it if you do not have one. Rockytop should have a link. See my picture with the cover on:

20201004_201609(1).jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kommienezuspadt said:

I may have overlooked this skimming the long thread, but do we have any distributors offering replacement panels, mud guards, etc. for the S18? 

Mine is batch 2, running flawlessly, but cosmetically beat up from some off road trails. 

Battle scars are a badge of honor but Ewheels may have some of the body panels you’re looking for. :)

19 hours ago, Steef Klonoa said:

Thanks @Rehab1 what a relief! Finally got this thing on. Glad I opted for the 3d printed wire cover instead of bashing the cable into my wheel like Jack had suggested. @RockyTop thanks for the link to buy that!

Yes I purchased the cover from RockyTop (BlackSwamp...scorpion?....;)). Great product!

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

We do have Black Crows. The dark sinister bird of opportunity that is actually very friendly, smart and widely misunderstood. 

My bad. You fit your title. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FinRider said:

Guys, with permission from Ryszard from EUNICYCLES I would like to share with you the communication that he is sending to his customers

At first glance the S18 suspension mod kit appears sound but performing the task is not for everyone. If in doubt best to send your wheel back to the distributor for repairs.

5 hours ago, fbhb said:

A totally different, but very impressive approach taken with this owner's "Blacked Out" Naked/Minimalist S18 custom job, don't you agree???

Very nice! Are you painting the molded foam panels as well?

1 minute ago, Rehab1 said:

Very nice! Are you painting the molded foam panels as well?

It's not my S18 Dan, I'm still waiting for mine to arrive here in NZ!  I shared the photo's from the King Song Telegram group and believe the owner is going to be leaving the wheel "as is"! 

• Like 2

Hello All,

I have started noticing another sound coming from the motor (I think) -- it sounds to me like a bearings noise. This is a tentative video

Ignoring the tire rubs and the beeps, there is a metallic sound which I do not think is normal. Can you guys also hear it, or am I crazy? I sent this video to my distributor and they say the sound is normal. I will try to do a better video where the sound is more obvious. 

Thanks.

• Like 1

Does anyone know the reason why some wheels axles come misaligned. 

Cant put my head around it. Its either a low precision mold on the golden parts of the suspension or the sliders. 

One other reason might be some low intelligence individual putting one more washer on one side. 

My S18 is still sitting at home. 

@Jack King Song Yes i tried putting 25 sheets of beer cans and i needed to drink another one to continue! :laughbounce2: 
It helped somewhat when the wheel was on its head but as soon as i screwed the axles on it become even worse then before. I might be doing something wrong. 
My wheel is tilted to the left as in top-side is going left. 

I obviously need a new fender that i know. That thing is just crooked. But the cause of the misalignment is a mystery. :shock2:

Well first wheel and i have rode aproximately 3meters on it.

Edited by eve
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, eve said:

Cant put my head around it. Its either a low precision mold on the golden parts of the suspension or the sliders. 

One other reason might be some low intelligence individual putting one more washer on one side. 

@Jack King Song Yes i tried putting 25 sheets of beer cans and i needed to drink another one to continue! :laughbounce2: 
It helped somewhat when the wheel was on its head but as soon as i screwed the axles on it become even worse then before. I might be doing something wrong. 

I obviously need a new fender that i know. That thing is just crooked. But the cause of the misalignment is a mystery. :shock2:

Ok, let’s start over. What I would do is shim one side of both axle blocks on top of the axle. Put the shin on the Opposite of the side that is touching the fender. 

One side - One edge.  About 1/3 of the axle block width to the side opposite of the tire touching the fender. This should tilt the axle.

I personally could not see how shimming as previously described by KS would have worked. You have to tilt the axle compared to the block.

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, eve said:

Theres multiple points that may cause the wheel to shift to one side. However the most likely and most common are due to the platforms on the axel of the motor. 

Unlike other wheels where precision of these platforms are not needed to be so precise the S18 with all it's moving parts does require that. Hence if you remove your motor you can observe the cuts to see which side may need additional support. 

6 hours ago, Bridgeboy said:

The official OEM shim for the S18 is a Coke can.  Not a beer can(s).  :facepalm:

f**k. :shock2:

9 hours ago, Jack King Song said:

Hence if you remove your motor you can observe the cuts to see which side may need additional support. 

So a i should check the top of the sliders and the black "seats"?

On 10/8/2020 at 5:30 AM, Purplecycle said:

Hello All,

I have started noticing another sound coming from the motor (I think) -- it sounds to me like a bearings noise. This is a tentative video

Ignoring the tire rubs and the beeps, there is a metallic sound which I do not think is normal. Can you guys also hear it, or am I crazy? I sent this video to my distributor and they say the sound is normal. I will try to do a better video where the sound is more obvious. 

Thanks.

My wheel also has a bearing noise.  It goes away for a day or so whenever I put  oil or wd-40 on the spacers as best I can angle them to get the oil into the center.

On 10/8/2020 at 12:55 PM, Steef Klonoa said:

@Purplecycle I can hear it, and I know mine doesn't make that noise. Have you been riding in the rain, or lots of puddles? Also, try spraying some silicone lube in the wheel where the bearing is, probably not a permanent fix but it might make it go away for a little bit.

I've done lots of rain riding.. even crossed a creek with a 2 foot deep spot where I had to jump off.  And yea, with the inner fender mostly gone (kept only left side to mount the k262).

On 10/8/2020 at 4:42 PM, eve said:

The first time I removed my motor to change the tire I later found shims on the floor that I later yet learned were used by KS to eliminate the tire rub.  The inner fender is too small even for the stock wheel and for some reason the sliders don't seem to align properly.  At least with the my inner fender's top removed I have enough there that shims aren't needed.

Edited by Elliott Reitz
  • Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 8:57 PM, Jack King Song said:

Unlike other wheels where precision of these platforms are not needed to be so precise the S18 with all it's moving parts does require that.

Jack, are the 2 axle platforms machined by a CNC or milled by hand? Being that these axle anchoring points are so critical for proper alignment up the chain shouldn’t more attention be paid to precision? 

For my own edification I would love to see some photos of the milling operation. 

1 hour ago, NastyFartPants said:

Finally, the finished result

Congratulations! Great work! Wished I could give you 2 :thumbup: ...one for the mods and a second one for your interesting name.

Can I just call you NFP? Worried that my spell check might blurt out something else. ;)

• Like 2

Can someone please send me a screenshot in the KS app where the cutoff angle can be adjusted? I was at a stop sign and a car came by fast when I was about to go, so I did a quick 360 on one foot and the thing cut off. Luckily I caught it before it hit the pavement. Never would have happened on my Z10. 

1 hour ago, Steef Klonoa said:

Can someone please send me a screenshot in the KS app where the cutoff angle can be adjusted? I was at a stop sign and a car came by fast when I was about to go, so I did a quick 360 on one foot and the thing cut off. Luckily I caught it before it hit the pavement. Never would have happened on my Z10. 

Its not in the Kingsong App. Search for Kingsong Tuner or Soft Tuner. Its another app.

• Like 1