21 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Any ETA for this thing yet?

I messaged ninebotus.com a couple days ago, and got this reply:

"So far there is no set date on when NA will have it. But I can tell you that towards the end of this year we may hear something or get an update on what will happen."

I think we'll have to spend the next three or four months speculating!

@kasenutty I've been thinking about that, not so sure.

I still have never been on a single wheel EUC!

So, knowing how easy it is for my 2 wheels to go straight, I am worried that it would be both more difficult to keep balance (even though the wheel is wider) and retain the difficulty in turning. 

If I could be reassured that my (limited) experience on my 2 wheeler is going to provide the skillz needed for a 1 wheeler, it may be an easy purchase. But at that $$$, I really would like some kind of comparison. Not sure how to do that though.

Is there some trade show I can go to and try like 4 or 5 different EUC's?

Edited by Circuitmage

24 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

So, knowing how easy it is for my 2 wheels to go straight, I am worried that it would be both more difficult to keep balance (even though the wheel is wider) and retain the difficulty in turning. 

If I could be reassured that my (limited) experience on my 2 wheeler is going to provide the skillz needed for a 1 wheeler, it may be an easy purchase. But at that $$$, I really would like some kind of comparison. Not sure how to do that though.

On anything other than flat level ground a two wheel EUC is harder to keep straight than one wheel. Also, just like a bicycle, once you are going at a reasonable speed I.e. faster then walking speed, the gyroscopic effect of the spinning wheel keeps you upright. It is only at very low speeds that the one wheel is harder and requires a sort of twisting motion rather than leaning to balance or turn. This doesn't take long to learn. Think of just the front wheel when riding a bike, at very low speed you are wiggling the steering left/right fast to keep the bike balanced, as you go faster you stop doing it and just lean into a turn.

As for turning, a two wheel relies on pushing down hard on one tyre to turn slowly or actually coming up onto one wheel to turn fast. A one wheel above walking speed is the same action, it just takes a lot less effort. 

The two wheels are close enough together on a two wheel EUC that the rider still needs a fair degree of balance so I do not believe conversion to one wheel would take very long at all. Probably the hardest thing is going to be mounting - so start by using a wall, lamppost, etc. to get yourself comfortably on the peddles and don't, at first, try to go too slowly. Once your confidence has improved then focus on free mounting and slow riding and you will be fine.

Edited by Keith
Put right the words my iPad thought I meant ?
  • Upvote 1

@Keith That's what I keep hearing. Sounds like the transition from my 2 wheel to 1 wheel won't be so bad. Thanks for confirming.

I agree with with speed issue. When I received my 2 wheel, I tried learning indoors for 45 mins! Was not good. As soon as I got outside, it took me less than 10 mins to get going. These things need room.

Still, would be nice to try out a few and compare. Need a local shop with some "demo" models.

3 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

@Keith That's what I keep hearing. Sounds like the transition from my 2 wheel to 1 wheel won't be so bad. Thanks for confirming.

I agree with with speed issue. When I received my 2 wheel, I tried learning indoors for 45 mins! Was not good. As soon as I got outside, it took me less than 10 mins to get going. These things need room.

Still, would be nice to try out a few and compare. Need a local shop with some "demo" models.

There is a transition that is noticeable. One thing you will note is that mounting the thing is a different procedure. Then you'll note how easy it turns in place, which makes it feel wobbly in comparison. Expect a few sessions before you feel comfortable.

When you do, going back is no option.

I got some feedback on a question about the ninebot.

It seems the first batch will be "tested internally", as in "sold in China only". We can expect it in the US and EU in spring 2018...

Seems the Chinese get to play beta-testers this time around...

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

It seems the first batch will be "tested internally", as in "sold in China only". We can expect it in the US and EU in spring 2018...

A bunch of 130 pound (60kg) guys testing these wheels will do nothing for us Western heavy weights :cry2:

• Upvote 3

On 23.8.2017 at 4:55 PM, mrelwood said:

The 2.125" tire on the KS-16S feels slightly like it could tip over, and I had to tilt the wheel more than my body. I replaced it with a 2.5" one

Can you please share, how that went for you? Is there that much clearance in the shell that the bigger tire just fits in, or did you have to modify the shell?

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Ah well... At least we'll get the opportunity to buy one eventually. And by that time I'll have nearly a year of experience riding and plenty of saved pennies.

On 24.8.2017 at 5:03 PM, Circuitmage said:

my noob $.02;

+Cool design

+Good Price point/battery/motor specs

+Good climbing/off road ability

- No trolley handly (!!)

- Wide tire turning concern

- weight is a bit high and not sure how portable it would be (esp. fit on train)

With a wide tire turning should be even better than with a narrow tire as the contact patch is always the same with equal tire pressure, but normally you'll use a lot lower pressure on a 4.1" tire and so turning might get more difficult. The good thing about wide/big tires is that the contact patch will be wider and therefore more rounded than elliptical, you can read dozen of threads in several Bike-Forums ;-)

8 minutes ago, jojo33 said:

31/08/2017

Well this morning Segway/Ninebot Press conference at Berlin IFA 2017, has not announced the release of ONE Z among the products that presented (miniplus, minilite releasing date next Q4)

Must be ramping up production considerations.