Have you ever encountered an EUC rider in the wild? Printed a 3D Fender? Watched A Crotch Cam? Or Derailed a Thread?

Strangely enough it has dawned on me even after all these months of riding that I have never seen another EUC rider ever in public.  :blink:  Shocking isn't it?  I'm so used to watching Youtube videos that all I've ever seen are people's riding videos and not the real thing!

Besides organized, pre-planned group rides, how many people here have ever run across other riders in the wild (I know Marty has)?  I also know there will be some overlap with my "EUC Origins" thread,  but let's narrow it down even further:  How many EUC riders have you encountered randomly in public after you have learned how to ride?

I would have hoped to at least see some others joining this activity after riding around and being seen by many people.  Yet nope, here it seems we are a rare, endangered breed.  :efee565ab0:

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Besides organized, pre-planned group rides,  I have seen 4 people from car window. and 1 when I was riding my EUC.

That one was a kid who asked me weeks before questions about EUCing. I was happy he decided to buy one and learned to ride it!

I never really noticed anyone on an EUC... until I bought one. Now I see them everywhere (well, more often than I'd expect)! Which is great - instead of being "that weird guy on the unicycle", I'm "one of the guys in the cool club".

In the last 2 months, I've seen:
- One person walking his KingSong by the bay in Singapore
- One person riding slowly while his friends walked, in Downtown Bellevue
- One person riding down Capitol Hill
- Someone travelling opposite me on the same pavement outside my office, riding what looked like exactly the same white V5F I was on.

I've never seen another rider in the wild but I do ride with another guy and his son, from this forum actually.

Interestingly enough I DID encounter him in the wild as he was driving by and stopped, and that was random.

Segways are quite popular around here, and the three wheeled electric vehicle that you stand on even more so.

As @Hunka Hunka Burning Love said, I have. Twice in the last month. Came across a couple while riding at the beach, and then  a couple of weeks ago during a group ride, we came across someone. He joined the group ride that day :thumbup:

And once I bumped into someone I ride with periodically, who happened to be riding that same day and hour in the same vicinity. So that kind of counts.

In late summer 2015 I saw a Ninebot rider passing through the National Mall in DC who seemed to be a commuter, and on another day later that summer I passed someone riding an Airwheel twin-wheel EUC in Old Town Alexandria, VA.  Can't say I encountered anybody in 2016.  This year near Chinatown in DC, I saw a rider on an older box and circle style EUC such as an Airwheel X8 but I couldn't tell from the distance.  Finally, near Georgetown I was riding with another EUCer on this forum and passed a couple of riders on KS16's (I think) going in the opposite direction; I was distracted on my phone and it didn't register to me that they were EUC riders until they were well behind me and I could only catch the barest glance at their wheels.

For other rideables, I always see the Segway tourists of course. This year I did see a non-tourist Segway rider, someone riding a Segway-like device such as a Ninebot PTR, I also saw one Segway/Ninebot mini pro on the National Mall ridden by a kid, a commuter riding an electric kick scooter in the bike lanes, and about five different Boosted Board riders on separate occasions.

Last summer, clouds were gathering but the inevitable Vancouver rain had yet to come.  Pedestrians had hastened their pace in an urgency to be off the streets before the deluge. 

I was strolled the West End, keeping my gait casual in counterpoint to the artificial urgency of those around me, I detoured down Davie St in disdain of weather or scheduling.  It was there, wobbling down the sidewalk past Vera's Hamburgers that  I met a man riding an orange Monorover.  I critiqued his riding skills silently and continued on. 

I have seen a total of 0 in my area. Not only have I not seen one locally but I can't find any riders online or otherwise within a couple of hours ride of where I live. I find it strange, I'm 30 minutes from Philadelphia and thought there would be at least 1 or 2 members here that would be from that area. Anyways, let the search continue. Until then I either have to go north to New York or south to DC to meet up with a group.......

Since I live a few blocks away from a historical park that includes several museums, I see a great number of Segways as they have several daily tours. I believe there's two tours now, one with Segways and one with stand-up trikes.

What I think is more rare than an EUC in the wild is a Segway rider not wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Even the cops wear shorts when riding those.

On any given sunny day in Berlin, there's a pretty good chance to find a fellow EUC rider on Tempelhofer Feld (former airfield) . That's the only larger playground in Germany that I know of, which is public, but permanently exempted from ordinary traffic laws. So it doesn't really count as "out in the wild".

Also in Berlin, there's a temporary exemption of traffic law enforcement with "Skate by Night" events, which sort of includes 2 hours before the actual start at a busy city center place. While meant for Inline Skaters, EUC riders are welcome to participate and you always meat some there. Sometimes, local EUC distributors like Alex (eWheelMotion.de) even use it to promote EUC riding. Like here:

I guess, that also doesn't qualify as a chance encounter. 

That leaves me with one single occasion bumping into Alex in the city riding on 2 ninebots as he was bringing one for a friend. But: there's hope. Now living in a rather provincial town in Bavaria, just today I discovered a shop selling ninebots on main street :D

I've seen some people here in NYC when I was walking around close to my job.. yes *walking around*!. One of them was using a Ninebot One E+ (Which automatically at this point in my EUC career makes me believe that he is a relatively new rider (Let's say 1 year?)), and the other one was using an MSuper v3 probably. I'm 99% sure it was Gotway, just not sure if it was MSuper v3.

15 hours ago, Pasi said:

Besides organized, pre-planned group rides,  I have seen 4 people from car window. and 1 when I was riding my EUC.

That one was a kid who asked me weeks before questions about EUCing. I was happy he decided to buy one and learned to ride it!

That's neat!

NYC/Manhattan, being homebase of one Casey Neistat, has, of late, definitely become e-board territory. Not a day goes by where I don't see at least 1 e-board on the streets. This was not the case even a year ago.

Though NYC has more EUC riders than most cities, seeing one by coincidence out in the wild is still a bit rare (I'd say I see someone I'm not familiar with on EUC maybe once a month(?))

To date, I've seen:

• 4 Ninebot One riders who live in my neck of the woods (UWS near Lincoln Center / Columbus Circle) - one I've talked with, another a fellow rider friend of mine befriended and "converted" to a V5, and the other 2 I've yet to have been able to talk with.

• 1 Ninebot One rider I saw while I was running down the Hudson Greenway in the 40's

• 1 Airwheel rider (looked like the white/red colorway of the X3) I cruised past in Times Square

• 1 MSuper3 rider I saw again while running up the Hudson Greenway in the teens.

.... and in my recent trip to Seoul, S. Korea, 1 ACM rider I saw near COEX mall.

After that, I'd say e-kickboard scooters are a little more rare, followed by Segways and the like (I've seen 2 Mini Pro's, 2 InMotion SCV's, and there is a guy in my neighborhood that occasionally pulls out his full-size Segway and rides in the Central Park South area).

18 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Strangely enough it has dawned on me even after all these months of riding that I have never seen another EUC rider ever in public.  :blink: 

Your mysterious Flame is scaring fellow Canadians away from the sport! I would change your NB1's color to a pretty pastel pink so it is less threatening.:P

:crying:  LOL yeah it's weird.  Like everyone else I'm getting comments like that's super cool, so sick, that's lit, etc but I wonder if the cost is holding people back.  I know for me I was initially hesitant to pay more than $100 for my hoverboards, and $800 for a one wheeled device seemed a little high at the time.  Over the $1000 mark is likely quite daunting for teens to try to buy, but there are the cheaper generics and sales on KS14's and IPS models that Jason has on for under $500 USD.  You would think for something that most people think is fascinating they would run out and buy one for themselves online, but I just don't see it happening.

It is either the cost or the continued blowback from all of the past hoverboard fires. I have more parents that stop and ask "will it catch on fire?" For over a year there was a continuous bombardment of negative news stories about hoverboard fires with stark visuals of destroyed homes and family belongings that it subliminally impacted the viewer's psyche. Unfortunately there has not been any positive news to reverse this intense imagery.

The solution is simple! @Jason McNeil needs to produce an over the top 30 second commercial filled with the awesome performances by@Hirsute , @Jonathan Tolhurst and Alex emphasizing the massive fun and positive aspects of EUCs! 

Now the good part----->  Sir Jason McNeil will air his masterpiece during next year's Superbowl Sunday!:thumbup:

4 hours ago, Tilmann said:

Also in Berlin, there's a temporary exemption of traffic law enforcement with "Skate by Night" events, which sort of includes 2 hours before the actual start at a busy city center place. While meant for Inline Skaters, EUC riders are welcome to participate and you always meat some there. Sometimes, local EUC distributors like Alex (eWheelMotion.de) even use it to promote EUC riding.

Alex's Skate By Night performance is one for the record books! 

15 minutes ago, Kimosabi said:

It was a pleasure meeting you at the strand Marty :) Also appreciate you fixing the tilt back on the Gotway.

Hey Kim.

Welcome to the forum. I didn't realize that you were from Orange County. We do some rides down that away too. I'll add your username to the group ride announcement list that I send out whenever we plan a new ride. Hopefully you and Brian (??? - sorry if I'm remembering his name incorrectly) will be able to join us eventually.

I personally encountered many EUC riders but we normally just wave to each other when passing by if not familiar with each other. However afterward, we'll post a message in WeChat groups asking who is that that just encountered, and not surprisingly someone will always pop up saying 'that's me':D

34 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Hey Kim.

Welcome to the forum. I didn't realize that you were from Orange County. We do some rides down that away too. I'll add your username to the group ride announcement list that I send out whenever we plan a new ride. Hopefully you and Brian (??? - sorry if I'm remembering his name incorrectly) will be able to join us eventually.

Hey Marty,

Yes! I'm close by and yes, you remember well. I still have the sloooooow INMOTION that Brian lets me use with lots of tilt back and horrible range.  We hope to join you all once I graduate to a better, FASTER wheel with longer range so I can keep up with you all.  And it will be nice not to have range anxiety. In the meantime, I'll keep practicing on his Gotway.  Thanks Marty!

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:crying:  LOL yeah it's weird.  Like everyone else I'm getting comments like that's super cool, so sick, that's lit, etc but I wonder if the cost is holding people back.  I know for me I was initially hesitant to pay more than $100 for my hoverboards, and $800 for a one wheeled device seemed a little high at the time.  Over the $1000 mark is likely quite daunting for teens to try to buy, but there are the cheaper generics and sales on KS14's and IPS models that Jason has on for under $500 USD.  You would think for something that most people think is fascinating they would run out and buy one for themselves online, but I just don't see it happening.

300-600 dollars is the price of a bicycle that will last a few years at least, and good bicycles start at 1100 easily. Price wise, EUCs are directly comparable with bicycles, more practical as urban transportation although certainly more dangerous. Hmm, I wonder...over about 2000 miles of EUC I've had one minor accident while on my under 1000 bicycle I've had a few moderate one including a concussion.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Hey Kim.

Disclaimer: I still love the INMOTION. ? And if I'm lucky, my EUC will arrive sooner than later. 

Archived