Have you ever encountered an EUC rider in the wild? Printed a 3D Fender? Watched A Crotch Cam? Or Derailed a Thread?

4 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:crying:  LOL yeah it's weird.  Like everyone else I'm getting comments like that's super cool, so sick, that's lit, etc but I wonder if the cost is holding people back.

I can assure you, it's simply that nobody knows these things exist. Reason #1. And only a fraction of the people who know see a serious transportation solution.

Others see a trend toy and nothing more, and pass. Or they give up before having learnt to ride (S1 seems to have a ton of Amazon returns). It's also not obvious at all how much fun EUCs are to ride in the first place. So people think EUCs are not for them for various reasons, even if they know about them.

So there's a chain of tiny probabilities, but I'm pretty certain it starts with how few people have the right conception or any idea at all about EUCs.

Certainly the prices will hold back quite a few people who know of electric unicycles and seriously want one. But that's at the end of the chain, they need to want one first.

--

Good thing is, we can simply fix the problem by riding and using our beloved death machines. So we have a moral duty to ride our EUCs as often as possible, and be seen;)

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Or they give up before having learnt to ride

I think the difficulty learning to ride one of these things is the number one barrier to entry.

13 minutes ago, Kimosabi said:

Disclaimer: I still love the INMOTION. ? And if I'm lucky, my EUC will arrive sooner than later. 

What new wheel are you getting? A V8?

I'm only guessing that because you have an Inmotion already and that would be a natural progression into a more powerful wheel.

I saw one guy riding this electric unicycle once.  Once.  I'm on my third year riding, and have been seen by plenty of people.  I've stopped and explained the thing to many seemingly interested folks. 

Best I can figure, unicycles are for weird folks who probably should be juggling.  In people's eyes, I mean.  Most people, because of the circus I mean, when they think of someone riding a unicycle, they associate it with also juggling.  They think you should juggle, since you are unicycling.

For myself, I have sunk so far into nerdsville, that they don't seem nerdy to me at all.  

On 7/18/2017 at 0:24 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

How many EUC riders have you encountered randomly in public after you have learned how to ride?

0!

In 1.5 years of riding, I have never encountered another EUC rider!

Interestingly, BEFORE I began riding, there was one EUC rider at the university where I work. Seeing that guy was one of the reasons I became interested in EUCs. By the time I started riding, that guy had left.

In 2 years of riding I have only come across two other people when riding (a couple of kids from the same family with Ninebots). I have probably seen about ten different people riding EUCs when I haven't been riding myself, including a few regular commuters going along Southbank. There's some guy who goes past one of my hospitals quite often on a Ninebot and a guy on a Gotway who rides really fast along Southbank, weaving in and out of the pedestrians as if they were training cones. I'm really surprised I haven't seen more as I work (& ride) in central London and visit lots of different areas across London. I was tree camping in the park with my little boy at the weekend and someone actually came up to our tree tent on an EUC - my son got very excited!

I saw one guy before I started riding 2 years ago & with my mobility issues yet always previously walking or cycling a lot knew it was the thing for me so I could get out & about again. 

In the 2 years I've been riding, though, I have only seen 1 other & he was on a street not far from my home. I haven't seen him since so not sure if it's just a timing thing, if he isn't a regular rider or if he just happened to be in the area.

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm only guessing that because you have an Inmotion already and that would be a natural progression into a more powerful wheel.

5 hours ago, TremF said:

I saw one guy before I started riding 2 years ago & with my mobility issues yet always previously walking or cycling a lot knew it was the thing for me so I could get out & about again. 

In the 2 years I've been riding, though, I have only seen 1 other & he was on a street not far from my home. I haven't seen him since so not sure if it's just a timing thing, if he isn't a regular rider or if he just happened to be in the area.

I decided to go with the kingsong 14S although I'm strongly debating about going with the 16S. It still hasn't shipped and it's only an extra few hundred. Only difference from what I can see is the size and weight, motor, and it gets an extra 3mph more than the 14S. Let me know your thoughts on this. I will need to make a quick decision while I can. Thanks!

9 hours ago, dpong said:

I saw one guy riding this electric unicycle once.  Once.  I'm on my third year riding, and have been seen by plenty of people.  I've stopped and explained the thing to many seemingly interested folks. 

Best I can figure, unicycles are for weird folks who probably should be juggling.  In people's eyes, I mean.  Most people, because of the circus I mean, when they think of someone riding a unicycle, they associate it with also juggling.  They think you should juggle, since you are unicycling.

For myself, I have sunk so far into nerdsville, that they don't seem nerdy to me at all.  

If this is nerdy then call me a nerd any day.

7 minutes ago, Kimosabi said:

I decided to go with the kingsong 14S although I'm strongly debating about going with the 16S. It still hasn't shipped and it's only an extra few hundred. Only difference from what I can see is the size and weight, motor, and it gets an extra 3mph more than the 14S. Let me know your thoughts on this. I will need to make a quick decision while I can. Thanks!

16 inch tire will give you a smoother ride on uneven ground, so 16 could be considered more of an allrounder size than maybe 14.

Also 1200W vs 800W is quite the difference.

12 minutes ago, Kimosabi said:

6 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

16 inch tire will give you a smoother ride on uneven ground, so 16 could be considered more of an allrounder size than maybe 14.

Also 1200W vs 800W is quite the difference.

Thank you meepmeepmayer. They both have the same 840wh battery so I worry the 16S will require more power and cut out faster. I would totally get the 16S if it came with the bigger battery but still can't quite decide. Your thoughts? 

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I ride the Gotway to practice but the INMOTION has features I really enjoy. I wanted the best of both worlds and the Kingsong is a good in between I think.

14 minutes ago, Kimosabi said:

Thank you meepmeepmayer. They both have the same 840wh battery so I worry the 16S will require more power and cut out faster. I would totally get the 16S if it came with the bigger battery but still can't quite decide. Your thoughts? 

I don't think you have to worry about that at all. Kingsong is extremely cautious with having people not stress the wheels too much when the battery is low. Never ever heard of such a cut out from a Kingsong.

Personally, I'd take the 16S because it is more powerful and gives you more torque (acceleration), speed (well, a few km/h) and as said the 16 inch is more stable. But you can't go wrong with either, and if you want a more agile, compact wheel I think the 14S is clearly the best 14 incher.

Will you keep your 14 inch V5F? I'd rather have a 14 and a 16 ich wheel instead of two 14. You have a V3 right? Nevermind:)

@Kimosabi

I received my brand new KingSong KS16S on Monday, and it is a very fine machine indeed!

I don't know if this is relevant to your worry that the 16S will 'cut out' faster...  but regarding range on the battery:  Yesterday I started out with 100% battery, rode 17.75 miles and fairly aggressively.  Spend some hard time riding on grass and off-road, too.  I managed to milk the battery down to 65%.  My riding weight is around 170 lbs. 

11 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I don't think you have to worry about that at all. Kingsong is extremely cautious with having people not stress the wheels too much when the battery is low. Never ever heard of such a cut out from a Kingsong.

Personally, I'd take the 16S because it is more powerful and gives you more torque (acceleration), speed (well, a few km/h) and as said the 16 inch is more stable. But you can't go wrong with either, and if you want a more agile, compact wheel I think the 14S is clearly the best 14 incher.

Will you keep your 14 inch V5F? I'd rather have a 14 and a 16 ich wheel instead of two 14. You have a V3 right? Nevermind:)

This will be my first EUC. Might as well be a good one. Lots to think about. Thank you! 

10 minutes ago, dpong said:

@Kimosabi

I received my brand new KingSong KS16S on Monday, and it is a very fine machine indeed!

I don't know if this is relevant to your worry that the 16S will 'cut out' faster...  but regarding range on the battery:  Yesterday I started out with 100% battery, rode 17.75 miles and fairly aggressively.  Spend some hard time riding on grass and off-road, too.  I managed to milk the battery down to 65%.  My riding weight is around 170 lbs. 

The 16 has so many good things about it. This decision is a lot harder than I expected.

21 minutes ago, Kimosabi said:

There is absolut nothing to worry! It is a total new designed board, batteries now paralleled....The Lift-off Cutout Speed of a KS 16 is a bit over 50kmh....

You can always contact your dealer (ewheels?) and ask to delay for a day or two if you need more time to research and decide.

I think it's very good you're looking out for big batteries, because they are awesome. So maybe you'll end up with a 1300Wh or 1600Wh ACM?;)

What model is the Gotway you're talking about?

You can always contact your dealer (ewheels?) and ask to delay for a day or two if you need more time to research and decide.

I think it's very good you're looking out for big batteries, because they are awesome. So maybe you'll end up with a 1300Wh or 1600Wh ACM?;)

Hahahaha! It's backordered so I think I have a little time. Yes, bigger battery is better for sure! The 16 seems to be the clear choice based on what I'm hearing. I currently switch between the INMOTION V3Pro and the Gotway MCM.

12 minutes ago, Kimosabi said:

Hahahaha! It's backordered so I think I have a little time. Yes, bigger battery is better for sure! The 16 seems to be the clear choice based on what I'm hearing. I currently switch between the INMOTION V3Pro and the Gotway MCM.

PLEASE!!!

Forget the IM V3Pro!!! this has nothing todo with EUC...it is a 2-wheeler...is boring slow...and the drive behaviour of a 2 wheeler is absolutly bad!!

4 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

PLEASE!!!

Forget the IM V3Pro!!! this has nothing todo with EUC...it is a 2-wheeler...is boring slow...and the drive behaviour of a 2 wheeler is absolutly bad!!

Hahahaha! Too funny. The Gotway's speed and smoothness is definitely so much fun especially without the tilt back. Thank you again Marty! ?

1 hour ago, Kimosabi said:

I would go with the 16S.  I have the 16 and it is light years ahead of ninebot in fit and finish.  feels solid.  the 16S will also give you a better ride because the wheel is bigger and can take the bumps more.  If you can swing the few extra bucks, go for the 16.  

4 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

I would go with the 16S.  I have the 16 and it is light years ahead of ninebot in fit and finish.  feels solid.  the 16S will also give you a better ride because the wheel is bigger and can take the bumps more.  If you can swing the few extra bucks, go for the 16.  

Thank you. This helps.

24 minutes ago, Kimosabi said:

This will be my first EUC. Might as well be a good one. Lots to think about. Thank you! 

The 16 has so many good things about it. This decision is a lot harder than I expected.

I went with the KS16s, and riding someone else's (mine hasn't arrived yet).

It is a fine fine wheel, I think the 16 inchers are the best do it all wheels. 14 inchers are too small and difficult for most of us, 18 inchers seem to go with overly large size and batteries, 16 inchers are juuuust right. Like c-cups.

The guy who owned it often scraped the pedals when turning, by bending one knee. However, I turn by leaning, not bending, and the KS16s is superb in its stability for riding that way.

Gotways, Kingsongs, and presumably Rockwheels seem to lock your legs into position whereas the IPS Zero, Inmotion V5, and the Ninebots let you turn easily by bending one knee as the wheel "floats" between your legs.. Personally I much prefer wheels that lock you in.

Archived